Is anyone else on this board strongly considering killing themselves if their music career doesn't end up taking off in...

Is anyone else on this board strongly considering killing themselves if their music career doesn't end up taking off in a serious way by, say, age 30? There's literally nothing else that I want to do and nothing in which I'm anywhere near as talented as music, but I don't think my music is going to go anywhere in the current climate.

Attached: 129e47-20130422-nick-drake.jpg (1024x856, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitch.tv/drakebell
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oh yeah. I’m that way if I’m 25

you'll be missed, but i understand

yes but not because I want to do nothing else, I just don't want to live but also am giving it until 25-28 until I give up on things getting better and the only way I see that happening is music

That's pretty much how I feel. I've been so depressed and things have been so fucked for so long that I think the only thing that would redeem that for me would be becoming successful, finally feeling validated through people thinking my music is worthwhile.

Why 30? Kill yourself, can't do music anymore VS Do music until you die

Maybe you're just not talented

Because you have a much bigger chance of "making it" before that age. Might as well give it the old college try, then commit suicide when things don't work out. It also gives you a chance to make some more good music during that time on the off-chance that music nerds discover you after you die.

It's a mindset you're going to have to get used to. Most of the artists I know aren't impressed by much that they've done, and it's the dissatisfaction of that that make them want to go on and do more. You have to decide for yourself what you mean by 'taking off' of course, but if you mean commercialy successful, you're putting your self esteem at the mercy of forces beyond your control for the most part.

99% of all music is basically sewage. Much of it is commercially successful. many of the artists discussed on hee are revered despite never having 'taken off'. (pic related)

find a few people with the same mindset and form a band

what does being recognized on a shitty ass imageboard or "music critique" website mean anyway? i think that there's more to life than that

Attached: 0a589ff738947fa03da2136ea7fe9697[1].jpg (800x1085, 121K)

I don't want to do anything else either, but I have little time for writing music anymore thanks to work. Making me feel very blackpilled, and whenever I do come up with something I always hate it. It all sickens me.

Sure, but I was talking about being actually successful, not "people talk about you on some dumb website." Actually successful in music so that you don't have to spend the rest of your life slaving away at some shitty job, like is describing, which is one of the big things that makes me want to commit suicide.

Seek professional help ASAP

there are a few artists i know who don't have careers who i think are the best artists alive that i know of and they haven't killed themselves and so i will not kill myself

i might kill myself because my music resembles nothing else in existence and i experience extreme fear and psychosis because of it though

how much time do you have left, OP?

I'm 23 now and I'm thinking 28 might be the right age to do it. So, five years. Gonna put out one more album and try to play more shows and take it from there, if no one gives a shit about it/nothing comes of any of it I'll have my answer.

I have a theory that such an attitude might be preventing some people from making good music

If you kill yourself over that then it shows your music was never worth listening to.

That's interesting, could you explain how?

everyone in here saying yes should just do it now and get it over with because it's not 5 years ago anymore and people don't want to listen to depressed manchildren making music in their bedrooms

if you care so much about recognition, you're making music for the wrong reasons and don't deserve to be heard desu

Attached: distressed_hippie.png.rar.jpg (300x300, 20K)

A lot of artists would have died before making their best work with that attitude. Imagine if Mark Hollis said that.

that's because people are plebs

Boo hoo no job I like i dont want to work a real job waaaah waaaaah

Attached: 20190222_193221.jpg (1280x854, 395K)

Nick Drake isn't necessarily a good artist to aspire to at all.

working a regular job is almost like an admission that you're not some godlike and legendary artist and i can see why that bothers some people

it's because sad sack losers never have anything interesting to say p. sure

Most of the people who say this to me want to be famous and do nothing but shuck and jive and make excuses.

Not really because a lot of legendary artists had to work day jobs before they get famous. Working a regular job sucks because it just, you know, fucking sucks? It's time you're spending doing something you don't give a shit about at all, when you could be spending that time making art.
I don't make music in order to be recognized, I make music in order to express my thoughts and feelings. For me it's more like, recognition would be the only thing that would turn things around and would make me feel not totally hopeless after feeling alienated and lonely for such a long time. Without that, I'm projecting that I'll probably be too depressed to make it into my 30s.

I'm almost 30, and I hate to say it, your fears are real. If you don't have friends by your senior year of college, you are fucked for life. Romantically, financially, career-wise. Life is a bummer, but I keep doing it.

>For me it's more like, recognition would be the only thing that would turn things around and would make me feel not totally hopeless after feeling alienated and lonely for such a long time.

literally the only thing that will "turn things around" for you is sucking it up and working on becoming a better person who doesn't alienate people or make people want to alienate you. What's recognition of your music going to really do for you? You'll have people telling you they like your music, maybe even how much it means to you. Then what? Is that going to fix you as a human being? Are you suddenly going to stop being depressed because people praise you?

If you truly only cared about creating art, you'd want to live as long as you can to create as much as possible. This thread is fucking pathetic. Honestly.

Attached: 80714400.jpg (327x374, 20K)

sad sack losers are the only ones with anything to say. if you're not sad it's because you're ignorant.

if this is true then why is there no actual content in your post

checkmate, retard

At the least I would like to be able to make a living from music. At the most, I want my band to be remembered as the best rock n' roll band of the 20s, which, without me sounding gloaty, I think I could probably do.

>If you truly only cared about creating art, you'd want to live as long as you can to create as much as possible.
I don't think this is true considering how many great artists have killed themselves. This would only be true if art was literally the only aspect of your life. There are a lot of things outside of your art - your relationships, your family, your job, your physical, emotional, and mental health, the current state of music - that can very easily make life not worth living, even if you have your art and care about it very much.

only someone who notices something profoundly wrong can say something profoundly right and someone who notices something profoundly wrong will be profoundly sad.

>There are a lot of things outside of your art - your relationships, your family, your job, your physical, emotional, and mental health, the current state of music - that can very easily make life not worth living, even if you have your art and care about it very much.

absolutely true, so then how will recognition of your art fix those other hypothetical issues? OP is saying "I'm going to bleed to death unless I get a bandaid on this severed limb" and it's fucking silly.

cool quote kid did u find it on poster in your high school

You're gonna feel the same way, or worse, if you do 'make it'

I agree that it definitely wouldn't fix everything, but:
>your relationships
Your status as a semi-famous musician will give you plenty more opportunities to meet people (make friends and romantic partners) than you would have as a nobody
>your job
Making music, the one thing you love, would literally be your job
>your health
Your status as a semi-famous musician would potentially give you the financial stability to be able to seek some treatment (as opposed to regular people,, many of whom can't even afford therapy)

It's demonstrably true that being a successful musician increases your likelihood of depression, drug addiction and suicide

putting aside the fact that it's 2019 and becoming a "semi-famous, financially stable musician" has been a pipe dream for over a decade

>Your status as a semi-famous musician will give you plenty more opportunities to meet people (make friends and romantic partners) than you would have as a nobody

literally any human being has infinite opportunities to make friends and meet potential romantic partners. Do your parents have you locked in their basement until you produce a hit album for them? Go outside and meet people. Meet people online. It's not fucking hard. You don't need to be famous or a musician to do it, and guess what, once you start making friends as a famous person you will ALWAYS question whether they're some sort of parasitic fame whore, and they probably will be. If people won't like you for you as a normal person, why would they as a famous one?

>Making music, the one thing you love, would literally be your job

if you get extremely lucky (you wont) and even then, it's not sustainable. You will tour a lot. You will whore yourself out. And even after all of this, in a couple years most people except a few diehards will forget about you.

>Your status as a semi-famous musician would potentially give you the financial stability to be able to seek some treatment (as opposed to regular people,, many of whom can't even afford therapy)

there's nothing wrong with having dreams, but there's such a thing as being realistic

>if random people don't give me enough money to live comfortably for my shitty bedroom recordings I'm going to kill myself in a few years
This is the mindset of a 25 year old man. Pathetic.

Do you have a soundcloud?

I got what you wanted and I’m going to kill myself soon because it’s awful. If you’re a nobody but someone loves you, you are already living the best possible life, being a known person is pure hell.

Honestly I don't have big dreams. If I can make $1000 a month from music, that's my dream come true.

>killing yourself over your "music career"
get help OP

explain?

Why are you going to do that? What makes being known so much worse?

What more can I say? That’s it. Or are you asking why it’s hell?

yes. how well known are you talking? celebrity, or just doing tours and being on a label?

Your going to get used to the positive elements really quick but the many negatives will never stop depressing you. Eventually you will have forgotten the times that you even wanted the positives. You have given up your freedom to do what you want with your life. You will never feel like anything anyone tells you is sincere. There will be people criticising you and just making stuff up, somewhere on the internet 24/7. You can never let your guard down around anyone and you are constantly at risk of being extorted for your career. I know you won’t listen to this but whatever.

Lots of great musicians blew up in their 30s. They spent their entire 20s struggling and working their way up though. James Mercer, Blondie are 2 that come to mind. But stop giving a shit about success - If you're making rock music its pretty rare to achieve the level of success you'd need to be financially secure for life these days. I'm friends with a few big time 00s indie artists who are living like kings but the indie boom is long over. Get a full time job somewhere and make music on the side and stop being so fucking dramatic.

I'm listening and I believe you. Do you think you would have felt this way if not for the Internet?

>99% of all music is basically sewage
wow imagine actually believing this. sounds like you don't like music mate

Yeah probably but maybe less. It might have manageable in previous eras.

Also - with the sheer amount of artists and new music out there, its highly unlikely there will ever be another Nick Drake type situation, where someone blows up decades after their death. Rock has basically been in imitation mode for the last 2 decades, copying styles from the 60s-80s. So people are hungry for the lost genuine articles, thats why people go digging for lost classics. Drake happened to be brilliant, but you see a lot of these lost 60s/70s bands being uncovered decades later, most of its pretty mediocre. Anyway, I doubt anyones gonna be digging through old bandcamp releases 30 years from now trying to find those lost 2010s bedroom pop masterpieces, theres just far too much mediocre/shitty music saturating the internet rn. Point is - don't expect to kill yourself and hope someone discovers you later, you'd be better off just staying in the game and trying to make great music and blow yourself up.

It's true. Even if you have thousands of different artists in your library, you'll never listen to even 1% of all music out there.

That's a really good point.
I hope you don't kill yourself, but I know I'm just a stranger on a website so it doesn't matter that I think that

oh i misunderstood, thought you meant 99% of music was trash

Very based post. I have the same plan. If I don't have anything going musically by thirty I'm gonna off myself. What's the point in getting old? Gross.

Trips confirm suicidal ideation as being based

twitch.tv/drakebell

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: drake-bell.jpg (900x442, 64K)

In this time and age, musicians from our generation (olde working-class music) will come from people in their 30s. Youngsters in their 20s will be seen either as industry plants or very questionable bluepilled artists (PC/Anti-PC is a great filter for "artists" in their 20s, most of them bite it).

Thing is, you won't get anywhere if you're such a fragile, anxious, and insecure person. With internet's overstimuli, it seems people nearing their 30s is when they crack into their own thing.

I'd just recommend:
1- Don't forget to LIVE (and make it a interesting one, not in the edgy sense). If you don't live and just obsess with producing, your art will be terrible. We look for artist to sell us LIFE.
2- If you want "sexiness" to pour into your art, take good care of your physical appearance, develop good healthy habits for your mind and body. Nowadays even women can get to their late 40s looking great for the stage.

It's funny, I've seen your pic related a few months ago and he moves and looks sexy in a very credible way, like some sort of minister for a dark cult (he's fucking 61)

>It's funny, I've seen your pic related a few months ago and he moves and looks sexy in a very credible way, like some sort of minister for a dark cult (he's fucking 61)

Attached: 1550019852180.jpg (500x500, 18K)

>It's funny, I've seen your pic related a few months ago
S-s...seen? Where? How?

I probably kill myself after i’m famous or a cult hit

Might be /x/ overspill

Get professional help. Being famous isn't going to make your life worth living. You're being a dumb cunt, but you can turn it around.

>making your passion your career
yikes. making music is how I relax with zero stress.

why not just kill yourself now then
whats 28 to 38 or 48 anyway
moon dog was homeless and he is better then 99% today
give yourself time you baby

I have the same plan as OP, but your comment did ring a bit true. I make music because I enjoy it so much and it just relaxes me and I like what I make, but say I got a record deal and suddenly there were people actually giving me money and trusting me to make good music on command my brain might just self-destruct and suddenly this tranquil, relaxing thing becomes this totally stressful, tryhard, mentally panicking situation that ruins the whole process. Another side to the story I guess.

Attached: pic 3.jpg (1400x2500, 291K)

interesting go on.

he just said that, all music ever released

>you'd be better off just staying in the game and trying to make great music and blow yourself up.

this