Giant mechanical spider

Giant mechanical spider.

Attached: scales.jpg.1492561638731.jpg (900x720, 168K)

It obviously shifts to the ping pong ball's side. The steel ball isn't on the platform and is outwardly supported.

Not ok. This is correct.

Not op

Fuck that microscopic mechanical spiders

top 10 questions science still can't answer

tip to the right

but will the ball os steel make any difference?

This is easy af lmao

It would remain balanced

Maybe balance a little to the left but generally balance since its only the water

No you dumb fuck, it will tip to the right. What a waste of trips

if it's sensitive enough to register the weight of the ping pong ball + the string, it will tip to the left. The steel ball has volume but effectively no weight.

If it's less dense than water it will float on the surface and then you have the weight of the string to consider.

forgot to explain:

on the left- the ping pong ball is not pulling itself or the cup up, it is being pushed up by the water (buoyancy). All you've done is add the weight of a ping pong ball.

Right side: Its just a steel ball being dipped in water. The weight is still on the string and supporting beam. It is only displacing water.

Hell, after explaining it I'm changing my answer to tips down on the left side since its equal amounts of water on both sides, plus the weight of a ping pong ball on the left.

Imagine being so stupid as to think the ping pong ball will do anything. The ping pong ball is INSIDE the system. that means it cannot change anything. Obviously it will stay ballanced

Fuck you retard. Trips of truth. I'm right

It would shift to the left at first, then a bit of water would leave the left beaker and it would end up shifting to the right

I think we assume that the ping pong ball and the string are weightless

Draw the free-body diagram. If the ball has volume it displaces water, if it displaces water there's a buoyancy force, and if there's a buoyancy force there's an equal and opposite reaction force.

You can't be serious if you seriously think that

These

You're retarded. Please kill yourself

Will it? The weight of the ping pong ball is on the left.

Do you think the forces on the beaker will be the same or different depending on whether the ball is below or above the surface of the water?

If there were a constant force applied to the submerged steel ball, would it remain stationary when that force was equal to, less than, or more than, the weight of the ball? Would this answer be different if the ball was not submerged? How do your answers line up with your experiences of, say, swimming?

Fucking retards

It goes to the right. Due to how the steel ball is suspended, it has no bearing on this. The other ball, being hollow, contains only air. This makes the jar it's in slightly lighter, making the scale tip to the right.

Attached: coffee.jpg (599x557, 38K)

Alright, fag. Since you think you know better than an actual physicist, I'll explain it nice and simply so even a retard like you can understand:

The left side remains unchanged, since the lifting force of the light ping pong ball is canceled out by the force of buoyancy the ball exerts of the water itself. (If there was no string, the ball would float. That means it would be pushed up by a force. And because of Newton's third law, the water experiences an equal force in the opposite direction, so it is being pushed down).

Otherwise, you could make a water tank lighter and lighter by tying more and more ping pong balls to the bottom of it, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Another way to imagine it is to make the string shorter and shorter (which should change nothing) until the ball touches the ground and is "welded" to it. That might make it easier to understand why the ball has no effect.

HOWEVER the right rise becomes heavier. The steel ball that is suspended and inside the the water exerts a force of buoyancy on the water, like the ping pong ball did on the other side. There is however no second force to cancel it, so the baker gets heavier in sum.

Another way to think of it is like this: The steel ball exerts some weight on the crane. If you then submerge it in water, the crane will feel less weight because the ball is experiencing some buoyancy. But that weight has to "go somewhere", it can't just disappear. So the the beaker with the water gets heavier in response.

In conclusion, the right side goes down. Do you realize now how embarrasing you sound? You just spit out some bullshit without even backing it up with some actual scientific explanation. Unironically kill yourself fag.

Yes, but I think we are supposed to assume the ping pong ball is weightless

Why would we assume that?

Lol, fuck off nigger. Decent explanation but if that's you're "job" then good for you, you're expected to know this shit. I'm in a different field so please kys fag or just keep typing more garbage. Your time being wasted not mine, lol.

You complete fucking retard.

If you want to include the very small buoyancy of an iron ball, you have to include the very small weight of the ping pong ball and the string. These very small forces on the two sides now cancel out and the entire thing stays balanced

I think it would be the same either way.

This fucker's explanation about buoyancy of the steel ball is fucking with me a bit actually.

I don't understand the force you are talking about with the steel ball. Can you elaborate what force it is?

Lmao you were just BTFO'd and you still have the balls to insult me. You argue that you're in a different field, yet you told me to kill myself because I said the correct answer, when in reality you just admitted that you didn't know shit of what you were talking about. And sorry that my explanation is only decent, I'll try to make it more brain dead for you next time, fag

"there's no second force to cancel it"

so the steel ball is exempt from newtons third law then?

Nah, it was too wordy nigger. Too long but you're a soiboy so I don't expect anything else, kek. Hope you get out of your moms basement and get a job at some point fag

>coping this hard

I assume you're not used to reading anything more complex than 4th grade literature, so I'm not surprised it's too wordy for you. And don't worry, I work for the top Nuclear Research company in my country, so I live a wealthy life. I would be more worried about yourself, since you clearly have the education level of a typical nigger if you thought my explanation was too wordy and hard to understand. I think you should go to bed now, you wouldn't want to be late to your McDonald's shift tomorrow and be yelled to by your manager yet again, right?

>I'm retarded but it's my JOB to be retarded so it is ok
kys

Attached: 1524415055331.png (600x522, 169K)

Since the steel ball is suspended by wire, it applies no force on the scale.

The pingpong ball weighs nearly nothing because it's a ping pong ball. It floating applies no force as it's like blowing your own sails. The net force on the left beaker system equals zero.

That leaves the two beakers, which have equal amounts of water. The two balls displace equal amounts of water, so the total liquid on each side equals each other.

The scale is balanced and will not tip to either side.

Attached: 1551308693882.jpg (1152x1443, 416K)

Imagine you're standing above the ball, and you have a string (or a stick), and it's your job to pull (or push) the ball so it doesn't move. You'll obviously have to pull it a bit if it's not in the water, but what about when it is in the water?

If you had a pingpong ball, you'd have to pull it a but when it was above the water, but if you wanted it to stay under the water you'd have to push it.

If you had a ball made of water (somehow), you'd have to pull quite a bit when it was above the water, but you could just let go when it was in the water.

Now imagine you have a steel ball. Obviously you're going to have to pull upwards when it's not in the water, but what about when it's submerged? Pull up more? Obviously not. Pull up the same amount? If so, why does the steel ball behave differently than the pingpong ball and the water ball?

>larping this hard
Simcity doesn't count fag, lol. It was too wordy, a huge waste of my time. Niggers always yap too much, never to the point

Nearly nothing isn't zero. The left side should tip down assuming the scale isn't shitty.

You're allowed unbalanced forces in newtonian physics, user. If you weren't, then nothing could ever accelerate ever.

What's the second clause of the first law?
>unless acted on by an outside force.

If a force is unbalanced, it just means the reaction force is outside the system being considered. Take for example a rocket. We think of rockets as going forward, but if you consider the whole rocket including the propellant as a single system, then the rocket stays in the same place, just spreads itself out so some of the rocket-propellant system is on the moon.

>coping this hard
Nigger, at least I have some education, something that can't be said about you

>it applies no force
Is it easier or harder to climb out an empty swimming pool?

If you're applying no force to the pool, it should be exactly as easy or difficult to get out whether the water is there or not.

Cope harder fag, I'm employed 6 figs

A boat can move itself using a fan on deck though. Not relevant to this problem, but you should know so you don't use that example again
You just rig the sails at a 45 degree angle and set the fan to blow 90 degrees across the deck. The sail directs the air towards the rear of the boat resulting in forward momentum

lmao, sure thing buddy

I think that is a pretty dump assumption since they aren't

buoyant force on a sumberged body is a product of pressure, which is a product of the height of the water column. When the steel ball is submerged, the displaced water causes the depth to increase, but this does not chance the mass of the water supported by the scale.

You can just imagine the equivalent problem of a perfectly balanced scale with two beakers with equal amounts of water.
On the left pan of the scale you put a pingpong ball on a string.
Near the right side of the scale, but not touching anything, is a steel ball suspended by a stand.

It's pretty obvious that the additional weight of the pingpong ball and string on the left pan unbalances things and the scale tips to the left.

>a product of the height of the water column
No it's not, if it was then it would increase as you got further down, and there would be no seabed because all the sand and stones would float upwards to the depth their weight equalled their buoyancy.

>equivalent problem
>equivalent
You need to prove this, you can't just assert it.

Hadn't considered that. I'm revising mine to say that the right side will drop.

The steel ball will apply less force on the string supporting it. The remaining force will be applied to the beaker of water making it weigh more than the other side.

The ping pong ball still has no net force on it. The ball is trying to float by pushing the water down, but the string prevents this. It's two equal forces cancelling each other out.

Thus the right side has more force which is equal to the amount of force that the steel ball's string is no longer supporting due to being submerged in water. This outweighs any force the ping pong ball's mass could possibly apply.

Attached: 875.jpg (1080x1349, 242K)