I've lost all hope, Yea Forums

I've lost all hope, Yea Forums.

35 year old male. I'm on four different meds: an antidepressant, a benzo, a mood stabilizer, and an antipsychotic. I started taking this shit almost 10 years ago after a depressive episode that I eventually learned was just a natural reaction to being in a shitty, traumatic environment.

That situation: I share custody of a teenage daughter with my ex-wife who has, BEST CASE scenario, borderline personality disorder. We met when we were 18, I ignored all the red flags, stupidly listened to her pleas for me to not wear condoms, got her pregnant, got her an abortion, she went fucking crazy from grief and threatened suicide on multiple occasions, I basically moved with her to college and got her pregnant again to "make everything better". Cue years of continuing psychological, verbal, and occasionally physical abuse, which I finally "fought back" against by checking out emotionally from my kid's life and starting to see parenthood itself as part of the curse that was "handed down" to me (but which I'm 50% responsible for). I basically ignored my kid until 5 years ago. I still haven't gotten over my ex-wife and my shitty parenting still haunts me in terrifying flashbacks.

My parents are fucking exhausted from seeing their son try not to lose his shit every day for the last 15 years. My kid's mom got remarried to a guy who is so shitty that my kid doesn't want to be in the same house as him anymore. They have savage fights, and I can't tell anymore if they're both insane, or have just driven each other crazy from the psychological terror they inflict on each other. And I still deal with feelings for my ex-wife despite the shit we did to each other.

I don't know what's causing my depression and anxiety most days---my situation or the meds not working. Every time I try to get off the meds I become suicidal. Every time I go back on them I get this two week burst of euphoria that makes me think nothing bad ever happened, before crashing again.

Attached: gettyimages-451293359-13a4a26becd3dccebb80ba75752faec2b8101493-s800-c85.jpg (800x599, 104K)

(continued)

Exercise and good diet don't help. I can't keep a job for more than six months because I'm on the spectrum. It costs thousands of dollars to even get a diagnosis, and even then, what's the use? To be put in a minimum wage job that'll cater to my needs and make me have to move into a one bedroom apartment with my kid?

Get help dude.

(continued, sorry I should've done greentext)

I'm emotionally scarred, overmedicated, hopeless, have lost almost half of my life to this horrible ordeal, and I don't know what to do anymore.

I'm in weekly therapy. DBT group once a week too. It all only helps on that day. It takes one fight with my ex-wife or some other anxiety-provoking event to send me back to square one.

On Youtube search Academy of Ideas Nietzsche and watch all the videos on him

(Contd.) You're having an existential crisis.

what kind of shit happened between you and your ex-wife?

I don't really have ideas for your situation, but talking about it might help

She was my first girlfriend. First person I lost my virginity to. She had a fucking horrible upbringing (I know, I'm making excuses already), and she'd get almost violently mad at me for the way I said certain things, the way I talked to people, and most bafflingly of all, wanting to wear condoms during sex. She wanted to get pregnant and escape her horrible life and decided some 18 year old skinny kid with Asperger's and no family wealth was the person to do it. I stupidly listened to her because of how attached I was. After the abortion, she was grief-stricken and took her anger out on me for "not being sad enough". I went to college with her and got her pregnant again in the belief that she'd love me and be "normal" again. I told everyone else it was an accident and I just became a young dad and "it was the greatest thing that ever happened to me". It wasn't. I shouldn't have ever done it. I look at my child and I still think the same thing, and I'm fucking ashamed of myself for it.

Why the fuck would you "be" on benzos you fucking moron.

(continued)

The first day of college, she was still in grief mode from the abortion...crying all day, buying baby clothes for the child she lost (she was only 8 weeks along), and then eventually turning on me and being physically violent. She cursed me out every day in front of the people in our dorms, embarrassing me and ruining my chance to overcome years of bullying and form a tight-knit group of friends. I never forgave her for it. I used it as a crutch to excuse all my shitty behavior, mixed in with just a lack of desire to go forward in life because of ruining it for fucking nothing.

yeah sounds like a person who can't confront their own problems

you've suffered some crazy abuse

any way you can avoid her entirely? or do you have to keep in touch because of parenting the daughter?

You answered it. I'm a fucking moron. 0.5 mg of Clonazepam prescribed to me, I thought it was the greatest fucking thing on earth. Of course nobody told me about how you could become physiologically addicted to it, and now I still take it once a day even though it stopped working years ago.

I have to keep in touch because of co-parenting. But I blame myself too. We've been friends on and off for the last few years, sometimes it's been great for weeks at a time and I forget why we even fought in the first place. Then something happens---usually she and her husband have a savage fight, her mood changes, and she takes it all out on me. And I completely act shocked as to why this happens again.

I hate to admit it, but all the shit she's done to me aside, if she died, I'd probably kill myself. I've lost a sibling. I would mourn for her 100 times more than that sibling, and I hate myself for it.

Of course it's an existential crisis. But how do I come to terms with my existence when I'm financially and emotionally gutted every second of the day?

sounds like there's a problem inside yourself you're using her to cover for

honestly there's nothing you can do to make her better, you just have to work on yourself - and maybe fix things with your daughter

do you have any other friends? I hope she's not your only support

Whoever is still prescribing it to you should lose his license

Yes. I hate that I met her at such a formative time of my life. She's the person I blame constantly for my shitty life and then the first person I call when shit goes wrong. You can repeat "there's nothing you can do" over and over, but I'm gonna need a fucking tranquilizer if all of a sudden I can't see her again and I know she's suffering with her piece of shit husband. My daughter and I are good now, luckily a lot of my shit happened before she was able to form memories. She can still tell I'm checked out occasionally but seems to accept me for who I am, and I meet the basic responsibilities.

I have friends, but I try not to get too close to them. Maybe it's the autism thing, but I'm also just scared of driving away people because I'll eventually retreat into hopelessness and want no social contact with anyone.

It's been prescribed by two psychiatrists and my current nurse practitioner. She agrees that it'll only be a good idea to taper off when I'm at a "good point in my life". I think she's right, because even the slowest taper has made me want to slit my wrists. The anxiety, flashbacks, PTSD just stops me in my tracks no matter what I do. It's easy to say I'll rely on the support I have, but I never know how bad it is until that withdrawal hits.

But I agree. Fuck the person who prescribed it to me.

Goddamn dude you're making me feel better about my own shitty life, so thanks for that?

If u want to fix this you need to go all the way back to your childhood and start.

Sometimes I think I only exist just to make people realize they don't have it so bad.

Please come here and a few grand so I can take work off for a year to do it. Whatever time off I get from work will never be enough to sort this shit out. As soon as I'm back on the job and trying to deal with my autistic anti-social "can't understand basic directions" shit, all my progress goes out the window.

Sounds like you're letting life happen TO you instead of happening to life.

if you could abstract her from your life and work on your problems, what would they be? how would you go about working on them?

sometimes it takes time and persistence to overcome internal issues, and it can feel like we'll never get better in the moment, but it's possible

sounds like you've got a long road ahead of you to get better

Who raped you? Your dad?

I wish he did. At least I'd have an easier answer for why I'm so fucked up.

I guess I still have to figure that out. "Working" on my problems depends on the environment I'm in. If I'm financially secure and not feeling depressed or anxious, it's easier to put things in perspective. But when something sets me off---a fight, a flashback, something---my past all of a sudden becomes so fucking real and in my face for weeks.

you'll just have to work with the time you're given, user

if you start today and keep it up, eventually you'll look back from the future and realize all the progress you've made

it's the only way

you owe it to yourself and your daughter

Godamn.
I honestly don't understand the whole anxiety thing. I mean, i get it too, but not like that apparently. I at least can convince myself I'm overreacting and if this we're an everyday event it would be as easy as making cereal at this point. My best bit of advice is to just tell yourself everytime that your overreacting, that you an go another hour without the pill. Everytime.
It won't magically cure you over night, but your life didn't get like this overnight either. Best of luck man. It sucks when your life goes to shit because you thought you were doing something nice. Fuck.

Based redditposter

Thank you for being able to see it from the perspective of someone who deals with anxiety on a whole other level. Even small things like someone having road rage will give me a panic attack. I feel it all over my body. I can't think and everything that comes out of my mouth is gibberish. I swear I even start hallucinating. It takes a couple days before a bad interaction subsides, but it's lodged in my brain for the rest of my life. I had a cop scream at me to put away my phone about a year ago and I think about it every time I get to an intersection.

The anxiety I have is probably what some people would classify as qualifying for medication, but what's the point if something like a benzo works until you build up tolerance and now you're addicted to something that'll literally kill you if you stop?

user, I wish I had suggestions on how you can improve your situation. Unfortunately I do not, but I hope you find help here or elsewhere and are able to find some happiness and get to feeling normal again. I wish you nothing but the best.

thank you

From a practical standpoint, you need to change your medication situation in a safe, supervised way because it sounds like it's become less about helping your depression and more just straight up substance abuse.

Those feelings of depression that hit when you go cold turkey...that could be depression or it could actually just be withdrawal.

They also hit after a slow taper, too.