Ask a system administrator anything

Ask a system administrator anything.

Attached: file.png (760x428, 717K)

Other urls found in this thread:

payscale.com/mypayscale.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If I fuck my dog dressed as my sister, did I have incest?

*fucked

no

how often does the system you manage require a cyber security check (by hiring pentesters n shit)

Whats the password for hummus?

We have never hired a penetration tester and we do not require a cyber security check.

In terms of the way systems and servers work together... Does what you see browsing incognito mode still get logged in server history

qualifications?

area?

*nix or winblows

how much can i expect to make if i apply as a sysadmin? assume bachelors in comp sci/engr. and 12+ relevant IT experience.

Please enter your username or email address.
You will receive a link to create a new password via email.

If deep packet inspection is enabled on your security appliance or software, server side, then yes incognito mode doesn't matter. Literally all incognito mode does is disables addons and doesn't save history.

I dropped out of high school and got my GED but I got lucky back in 2007 and have been moving up the IT ladder for 12 years now. How much will you make is entirely dependent on your location, the company you work for, and experience/qualifications. I am around 40k and I live in a very rural area about 3 hours from any major city.

Also forgot your third question. I do:

Windows Server
Azure
Office 365 with EMS
SharePoint
I also manage the network, workstations, printers everything.

How many of you are closet pedos at your office?

Nightmare

No one that I know of but as IT we don't really do a lot of socializing so I wouldn't know.

former sysadmin here. incognito disables your history on your computer. It is false security

are you in south central oregon?

>40k
Windows Server
Azure
Office 365 with EMS
SharePoint
I also manage the network, workstations, printers everything.

sounds like youre their IT manager/administrator, not systems...

lowest ive seen (and was paid in cheap area) was 55k for an IT Manager. Median for my area was 80k.

Why are you a sysadmin and not like an IT admin/net admin?

also it sounds like your company is ~200 employees or less?

Network Security Professional here.

Name the 7 layers of the OSI model in order.

highest to lowest?
one to seven?
be specific please

No.

My actual title here is IT but I feel like I do the work of a sysadmin but what do I know. My last job my title was IT Manager but 60% of my job was bookkeeping.

Yes we have around 50 employees.

how long have you been there? youre being seriously underpaid unless you have like only 1yr experience in that type of role.

I worked as tech support for 2 years making $11/hr and as an IT manager for 4 1/2 years making $16/hr. I've been at this job for a year next month and I'm making $18/hr.

My rent for a shitty 3 bedroom house is only 575 per month to give you an idea of the cost of living here.

yeah have you shopped around yet? and if you havent are you a fucking idiot?
you shouldve looked after 1 year at the IT manager job

im in a 2br apartment that is very old for 750/mo so im similar i would say. median for IT manager is 80k in my area. you should be making at miniumum 60k.

What are some cool terminal commands?

That's bad...

I have a 2 year degree in LAN administration that cost roughly $6000

I started out as a phone jockey tech support at $14.50/hr

Moved to new employer, systems support after a year (PC and some server stuff) at 21/hr.

Moved back to first employer after a year, as a technical operations engineer (level2/3 shit on 2nd shift) at $24.75/hr with optional OT.

Moved into sys admin role for security patching in same dept after 2 years. $32/hr salary.

Moved into information security engineer role after a year, now salary $36.58/hr.

All this in a rural state with a low cost of living.

what in the literal fuck i am getting fucked.

I just told you this.

i left my job as IT manager at 55k because it was significantly low balled. I was offered another job as a Systems admin 2 or some shit for 65k without even saying a word to them, they came to me. I'm expecting 75k min and ideally lookikng for 90k jobs and I have less years as "it manager" roll than you. you should be making 60k min and probably 75k plus

what city are you in? literally google "[mycity] median IT manager salary"

How do you find your jobs? Just look online and put in an app? Do you blast your resume out to everyone? What are some good tips to finding a good job like that?

My current job is great good benefits they pay for my health insurance I get my own office and I pretty much browse Yea Forums all day when I'm not working. I'm at work right now.

The pay sucks.

Attached: file.png (480x34, 4K)

Attached: file.png (963x376, 61K)

where this is my actual title, just IT.

Attached: file.png (459x240, 22K)

why, think you're the dogs bollocks? give me your IP

proving my point.

try payscale.com/mypayscale.aspx

enter basic qualifications/etc. theres a button that says "no thanks just show my report instead" for when it asks to make an account at the end

heres mine. all i entered was BS of sci. in CS& engr.

13 years exp, my location and that title.

Attached: Capturasdasde.jpg (1004x1293, 109K)

nvm that was the old version of the site. had to use the element zapper in ublock origin to block the "log in" popup after it generated the report.

Great way is word of mouth. I have relied on glowing recommendations from former managers (not peers, common mistake) and direct referrals. I pay it forward by giving those same managers referrals for their own open positions. Works very well and I've hooked up some good workers with people who will help them accelerate their career

I only apply for what I want, and only accept positions that further my goal.

Obviously I'm on Yea Forums now too at work lol.

Attached: file.png (857x2113, 254K)

>word of mouth

No. unless you live in a city with 10k popuation.

You have to shop around. no more boomer mentality, hurr durri im gonna stay LOYAL to my employer who literally doesnt give a shit about me whatsoever even thought i think they do and stay with them for 20 years and man ive done that and made another 10k after 20 years.

what a fucking joke. you should be moving every 1-3 years early in your career and expect 20% raises upon those upward or lateral moves. space them out moreso later on in your career.

>ITT: underage kids with first jobs out of college

my last company would give employees that had 20 years under them a rolex. a fucking 5k oyster perpetual.

purely insulting. they couldve doubled their salary with smart moves within that 20 years if they gave a shit and werent stupid

do you suck cocks

STR8 AS A HULA HOOP BOI

That hasn't been my experience, especially when the boomers are all in mgmt roles.

Word of mouth works for industry specific goals. My bosses (and myself) have made friends and contacts throughout the country because that is the best way to learn developing trends in the industry. For example, I work for a non profit for it security and we attend cybersecurity summits and roundtables exercises with other similarly positioned corporate entities. I have made many friends and contacts this way.

Also, if u can read, I already noted I have changed roles every 1-2 years in IT which has more than doubled my salary.

go out west and its completely different.. i.e. seattle and commiefornia. reallly any large city.

I agree that networkign is important, but only if you plan to stick around in a small city and shit.

its proven that its faster to move up in larger metropolitan areas despite having to spend more to even live there.

same company?

you said you were it manager only making 40k for 4 years straight.

When you were 18, did you know already that you wanted this career? Did you start learning some things yourself and then decided your studies?

I was replying to that guy only (not me). I was making 40k after 1 year of IT and now 80k after 5 years in a rural state and I'm not even a manager.

>rural state

yeah but what city?

I'm making under 40k after 5 years in same role (2 employers) town I work in population 30k closest "city" is 3 hours away.

wtf is this lmao.

it managers in my city avg like 115k. what is this "it manager" role at 39k? installing microsoft word on computers?

I'm using this sentence to remember them:

Please
Do
not
throw
salami
pizza
away

sys admins should be going away. no reason to not use cloud services these days unless you're handling sensitive workloads, and even then the csps are building this support into their infrastructure and client services now.

btw i make 88k as an analytics mgr and i'm underpaid by like 30k. where the fuck are you people working youre making like 50k as an it manager

City is 85k in size in a rural state bordering MO.

One of my jobs was working at a place of 200 employees in a town of 5k. As a systems tech I was making over 40k/yr

agreed. what is this? is this your location? or did you put in no degree/qualifications to make this median seems so fucking low?

ah. confused you with OP or something then.
thats a similar progression that OP should see then. 40k straight to 80k in IT. without much work and time.

>cloud
the cloud is a hipster buzzword. it just means someone elses computer. someone has to manage those aws instances that are considered 'the cloud'

i agree, management roles of IT departments are getting less demanding because of good software/hardware making it more simple. i.e. ubiquiti networks and the like...

but that is why you need to diversify your skills.

i was getting 55k as IT manager. small shitty city filled with niggers outside of cleveland.

I left after a while because it was such a terrible low ball. that was the entire play after i was offered the position. wouldnt have accepted it if i wasnt working at another thing full time. was just going to use it to get another job with a similar title/experience.

nigga cloud is not a hipster buzzword lmao ???? i work with this shit every day. people that know what theyre talking about say cloud including me. you don't have to define it. people still say cloud. also managing aws services is not system administration

brilliant cable management
mfw

Attached: 200.gif (267x200, 485K)

you have no technical mindset, cloud is a clown word designed for normie faggots who don't understand servers

you really disagree with that?

also im referring to company claiming that they have 'clouds' for their servers are just multiple aws instances. not about your or i's job roles.

Was the dog dressed as your sister or were you?

do you run linux servers or a good os

????? wtf LOL I literally do this shit every day.

you thinking you're smart because you know cloud services just exist on remote servers makes you look like a serious poser. literally no one cares LOL

hahahaha you're killing me. do you actually work in tech? anyone i work with would laugh at you right now. you really walk around your office and tell people they can't say "cloud" because it means they don't know what they're talking about ???

literally hilarious

Did you pass the test?

Attached: Networking.jpg (1163x774, 350K)

you are mentally handicapped m8.

you dont walk around the office telling normies that

you let them say "nic card" and you let them think theyre good at microsoft excel

ive pointed out the fact that you are a clown by seriously using the word cloud in a serious context and in conversation with IT people.

get a grip

this user is underage.

>Underage BTFO B& Faggot detected.

Get the fuck out, kid. Come back when you're old enough.

127.0.0.1 - do your worst, penetrate

Attached: 1503324302444.gif (483x750, 1.44M)

>let them think theyre good at microsoft excel
I forgot to add, when they inevitibly ask you how to do a vlookup or merge+sort because they have no idea how a function works. god damn....

can i ask you sysadmins/IT tytpes a question... the pictures of super tidy cable management on big servers... do you guys plan that out beforehand, like make a plan of how all the cables should be done in order etc? i'm assuming that just doesn't happen with a ton of prep work.

When I plan a completely new cluster of servers, storage, switches etc., yes, I have a proper cable management in mind and try to adhere to it - down to color codes.

That being said, 80% of the time, you just try to make do with what is doable.

thanks bro. i honestly think some of them are beautiful to look at and always wondered just how much prep work you guys put into making it not only functional but aesthetic as well.

Attached: xD.png (276x30, 2K)

This picture is not an exaggeration. I do hvac and these rooms tend to have a worked to death mini-split with screeching bearings and coughing piles of dust. How do you guys get away with being so sloppy with the wiring? How do you even make sense of it all? The little servers and wi-fis all sit on racks with hangers and channels everywhere, but they are never used. If I did work like that I would be fired on the spot.

Attached: 014.jpg (1920x1080, 331K)

Beauty is a function of budget. I've had projects with so much overhead we could basically build the Taj Mahal of server farms, and others where time or money constraints basically made any attempt at A E S T H E T I C S superfluous.