Post remakes that succeed in ADDING soul

Post remakes that succeed in ADDING soul

Attached: 1580531910773.gif (400x200, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ie7CyvxAb8Q
youtu.be/mBSxWpm7sao?t=60
youtube.com/watch?v=b6-hqzneyuU
youtu.be/IQhMDviED6I
youtube.com/watch?v=IfqUbUXKsoI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I know this is just a frames thread but there is literally no remake that adds soul. At BEST they equal out.

HIRE

fuck that's stupid

fixed that for you ;)

Attached: 4 frame vs 12 frame.gif (400x200, 18K)

nintendo................................. please.......................... *on deathbed* i'm fucking begging you......... please.......... god...... hire....................................................this ....................................................................................maaaan...................... *flatlines*

The bouncing dick on the end of the hat that keeps wapping his nose ruins this

sometimes they add something neat to the game but the rest of it has something fucked up that cancels it, like the mario & luigi remakes added that side mode that was pretty fun but they fucked the artstyle up- they even covered luigi's fucking striped socks
i still wonder if that shit was nintendo's or alphadream's doing but i miss alphadream either way

the floppy hat encapsulates the FLACCID and LIFELESS nature of the "upgraded" animation as opposed to the TURGID and SOULFUL original walk cycle

can anyone actually define soul in an objective way?

good

>t. robonigger trying to understand soul

something defined by the limitations of its time

now post the penis one.

Its the quintessence of vidya games

Attached: quintessence.jpg (788x439, 73K)

when a developer truly puts their heart into making it

Whatever i like

something that, while not specifically good, still has clear love and effort put into it
the game can be great, it can be shit. whats important is the little things that add up to the feeling that whoever made it did the absolute best they possibly could.

Idiosyncrasy

Using low tech solutions to solve high tech problems

Nostalgia goggles.

>there is literally no remake that adds soul
*AHEM*

Attached: Pokemon-Mystery-Dungeon-DX-Whiscash-Pond-2.jpg (640x360, 118K)

Yes

This, but also when it's not too tryhard or ego-driven by trying to impress or show off skill

Also remakes are often souless because they are interpretations of the original based off that brand recognition and not for genuine love of the original

I hate the soul vs souless meme

The essence or embodiment of a specified quality.

Look up high art vs entertainment industry production art.

The difference is the same as the difference between paint by numbers and Picasso.

OLD

>removes the most soulful feature of the original game
>>>>>>>>>>>"adds soul"
lmao dumb pokenigger

>no argument
>ad hominem
I accept your concession

>removes the most soulful feature
Not even him but come on man

It's obvious to me that left has more soul than right. But WHY? What exactly makes left have more soul?

Attached: 1527312009734.jpg (1500x1197, 574K)

don't really care for the actual execution of the storybook style, in most spots its clearly just a post-filter they applied. it looks like someone was messing around with a photomode feature and thought "sketch" looked really good

Attached: 1548365720759.jpg (640x295, 65K)

SGI workstations are the soul infuser

nostalgia faggotry

Make the hat bounce higher

Can you define consciousness in an objective way?

Has anyone ever just programmed Super Mario or any other old video games from scratch in a modern programming language? Doesn't seem like it would be that hard, and would be essentially 100% true emulation.

it's not sanitized

capable of intelligent thought
if the brain only processes banal things like 'eat' and 'fuck' and 'shit' instead of 'what should i eat' or 'what should i fuck' or 'what should i shit on' then i don't consider the organism or creature to actually be conscious, its just running on pure instinct

Soul:
>thing I am nostalgic for
Soulless:
>thing I am not nostalgic for

the answer is almost always shading. these old 3d games/renders typically had hard contrast between light & shadow.

Right looks just as good though
Left is only using older rendering techniques

You can't even debate this one.

Attached: 1525986642420.jpg (1256x582, 170K)

left looks dirty and rough, right looks clean and pristine
i think a lot of it is how round and soft everything looks, right doesn't have enough uneven bumps and jagged edges

You Easilly could, the problem is that would be just that one rom
It's better to make an emulator that can play any rom

Just an aesthetically pleasing thing. Most stuff now can't match the color brightness and charm something like this has.

Attached: Sonic Jam.gif (320x240, 1.97M)

Soul:
Soulless:

If you don't already know, you'll never know

Look at the DKC comparison again and tell me it's just about nostalgia you fucking moron.

if thats your sole takeaway from multiple posts explaining different facets of the same sentiment then why even bother asking for people's reasoning in the first place

Attached: 1570685100544.png (500x500, 214K)

Homosexual:
>You

It's not even nostalgia. I never owned a saturn until like 5 years ago and I can confirm this game looks far better in design overall than something like Sonic forces

Soul

Soulful Jam

Attached: 1521895943664.gif (540x448, 362K)

Can I get a hat wobble?

Attached: rudd.jpg (300x180, 12K)

what is the most soulful feature?
what did they remove
I've been considering buying it

>that expertly done dithering
Fuck gradients this shit was fantastic.

Why settle for 12 frames when you could have 96.

Attached: walkkin.webm (400x200, 27K)

Here's Kirby to help you out, you tremendous boy molesting fruit.

Attached: 1567648301507.png (1000x750, 595K)

the hat looks fucking stupid
the whole thing is pretty stupid honesly

>half-pixels
You failed, retard.

Attached: VCD.jpg (542x600, 108K)

Anything that I like and you dislike

Attached: 1582604706868.png (1000x800, 103K)

>expert dithering
Son, it always looked terrible on shadows, and the game only did the one dither pattern also which is evens&odds, nothing else to signify depth or darkness amount of a shadow.

>that one thread where the gif went so fast that the Marios merged together and broke the universe

Attached: 1503026724115.jpg (335x208, 9K)

>soul
Humans
>soulless
Chinese

Doesn't kirby suck a lot of stuff including dicks though? He's a fucking pink ball ass looking mother fucking hypocrite

Friend Areas. Now any new recruits go to a menu.

Attached: 1qYMsei.jpg (1600x1160, 427K)

DKC was kinda bland anyway.

A menu which has the Friend Areas in the background. AKA you lose literally nothing.

>my little nigga's don't get their own pads now
you got a source on that because thats actually complete fucking horseshit

Attached: 1571257950344.png (352x371, 169K)

if you cant understand the concept of "soul" then you must be a chink
free tibet winnie pooh free hong kong tiananmen square massacre

I really don't know a goddamn think about Kirby r34, but you apparently do so I will bow to your expertise on Kirby x King Dedede yaoi shit or whatever the fuck you're jerking off to.

Have you ever gone outside and looked at the REAL sky? That's where all the SOULS reside

>Doesn't kirby suck a lot of stuff including dicks though?
God I hope so

Some say heaven is in the heart. I say heaven is in the ass.

Attached: bfln5jRa_L37ziNWm-xNvKLDGKvqvsS2oF86V_GRnnR5cRdzxSLKLQgRU7EZawr8w0RKb1LJo2uT5nGrK8afVP1w9du9biK0SksO (540x304, 1.48M)

Explain this to someone who never played the original but has a mild interest in the remake

Actually I just jerk off to buff Dedede. Kirby is a fucking bitch

That's nostalgia. Give a kid a kid a saturn nowadays and he'll not like it

That Destroy All Humans remake is looking pretty soulful.

Attached: MS.gif (320x320, 712K)

Are those balls?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 18K)

Cool and Dedede is gay and stupid

True for the most part. REmake is the only one

Putting effort with creative ways to deal with hardware limitations, plus little details.

We've been through this a lot of times and you zoomers still try to shit it up trying to pass it as a meme...

Attached: 1581925517025.jpg (913x608, 343K)

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

Attached: WB10.jpg (1200x600, 148K)

I can do it for comf.

when you work well with technical limitations that causes the user to use their imagination

In my headcanon you're gay and unless the artists drew her naked my theory could be correct

Whatever you gotta do to get your rocks off.

you just know. it's intuition.

Left is a render that communicates the themes of the game honestly and lightheartedly. Probably made by an on-team-developer.

Right is a photoshop mess of blur and craaazy angles, probably made by some media department sjw not involved in development of the actual game.

True. BUT DKC Returns was a great game on its own. Also, used the wrong stage to compare it.

I don't even know whothat character is, I don't post crotches on mongolian picknick basket forums so I am not obsessed with that cartoon

The music in the remake was so fucking good. Heavy use of real instruments helped a ton.

The left is slowed down so it's not a fair comparison.

It ain't the same.
Basically, in the OG game you can recruit other 'mons when you have their friend area unlocked. Once recuited they go to the area which is a place you can visit and see where they hang out. The remake got rid of it and made it a menu where you select the 'mon with art in the background.

>Soul
Code Vein
>Soulless
Dark Souls

Attached: 40r8qciw85q31.png (692x922, 384K)

Can you even make this with a modern game engine?

This is objectively the correct answer, underrated post.

Soul is when devs make a video game out of passion. Soulless is when they make a video game just to make a quick buck.

it looks only slightly better than the mainline games and the characters look quite out of place

youtube.com/watch?v=Ie7CyvxAb8Q
peak soul right here

Attached: 1572552056883.jpg (500x495, 59K)

no

Human touch and imperfection.

i think theyre talking about this part of the trailer
youtu.be/mBSxWpm7sao?t=60

The rusty goblet

Attached: soulless.png (1182x522, 791K)

Resident Evil ReMake for gamecube

No, and they'll lash out at you when you point it out.

Attached: 1551280882428.png (1300x535, 1.24M)

left looks like fun, right doesn't

>its just pokemon boxes
as someone who hates the soul meme i gotta say-
this looks real fucking soulless

Attached: 99.png (566x359, 282K)

>old game good
>new game bad
There, can we stop having this thread now?

Attached: 1211515098787.png (206x237, 126K)

soulless

>old content bad
>new content good
cringe

Not only was it a great update to the art, but letting players swap at ANY time was really the extra fucking mile. I can't imagine even purists would be upset under these circumstances.

Make it faster

Just as art embodied the potential for liberation and the formation of radical subjectivity, it was also capable of being taken up by systems of domination and used to further or maintain domination. (...) Culture, which is the domain of art, develops in tension with the overall structure of a given society. The values and ideal produced by culture calls for the transcending of oppressive social reality. Culture separates itself from the social order. That is, the social realm or civilization is characterized by labor, the working day, the realm of necessity, operational thought, etc (Marcuse 1965: 16). This is the realm of real material and social relations as well as the struggle for existence. The cultural realm or civilization is characterized by intellectual work, leisure, non-operational thought, freedom, (Marcuse 1965: 16). The freedom to think and reflect that is made possible at the level of culture makes it possible to construct value and ideals that pose a challenge to the social order. This is the emancipatory function of art. However, art itself does not bring about liberation it must be translated into political activity. Nevertheless, art is important here because it opens up the space for thinking that may then produce revolution.

(1/2)

Nostalgia

No. Not again.

Attached: 1576360872172.jpg (960x960, 122K)

Attached: 1578422121454.gif (400x200, 3K)

The separation between culture and society does not suggest a flight from social reality. Instead, it represents an alien or critical space within social reality. The ideals produced by culture must work within society as transformative ideas. In “The Affirmative Character of Culture” Marcuse ... shows how culture separates itself from society or civilization and creates the space for critical thought and social change but then succumbs to the oppressive demands of bourgeois society. It does this by “separating ‘culture’ from the everyday world” (Marcuse 2007a: 23). In affirmative culture art becomes the object of spiritual contemplation. The demand for happiness in the real world is abandoned for an internal form of happiness, the happiness of the soul. Hence, bourgeois culture creates an interior of the human being where the highest ideals of culture can be realized. This inner transformation does not demand an external transformation of the real world and its material conditions.

In such a society the cultivation of the soul becomes an important part of one’s education. The belief that the soul is more important than the body and material needs leads to political resignation insofar as freedom becomes internal. “The soul takes flight at the hard truth of theory, which points up the necessity of changing as impoverished form of existence” (Marcuse 2007b: 222). Hence, the soul accepts the facts of its material existence without fighting to change these facts. Affirmative culture with its idea of the soul has used art to put radical subjectivity under erasure.

(2/2)

tl;dr "soul" is bullshit

Pic unrelated I assume? Less is more in this case and the "upgrade" just looks stupid as fuck. It's like all his "power" just up and disappeared if you know what I mean.

Caps are not supposed to flap like that.

why is his hat flopping like my massive elephant trunk of a cock?

Oh god, the "upgrade" adds so much bloat, it makes it so clunky to play when changing movement speed

We ain't doin animation exercises, we tryna play some GAAAAYYYMES

Attached: 1571826395017.jpg (800x450, 46K)

You do realize an ad hominem is the rejection of your argument based on you and not your argument right? Just saying you're a dumb pokenigger and stating his opinion on a matter is not an ad hominem, you dumb pokenigger.

Attached: 102331468.jpg (370x278, 40K)

War of the Lions cutscenes are peak soul.

Attached: wotl.jpg (720x353, 59K)

soul: high contrast, low brightness
soulless: low contrast, high brightness

youtube.com/watch?v=b6-hqzneyuU

Attached: 75a65fecc341e66104c5022b4c712b827a054c60.jpg (616x353, 33K)

Mario has a dildo cap now?

Smash 4 is soulless

Ultimate has soul

ultimate is more soulful than 4 but less soulful than melee and especially brawl

The simplicity of the art style, the exaggerated character features, solid colors, little visual effects, that old 90s-early00 grain on the images. that's what does it for me the shit on the right is too clean and I hate that when it comes to games.

>I know nothing about art, music, coding or level design
>How do I judge games? My feefees of course.
>SOUL SOUL SOULLESS

>I know nothing about cooking
>there's no way I could possibly tell you that this feces sandwich tastes like shit

then explain it if that's so easy
>subjective "good", the mundane "something" "quintessence" "specified" as argument with no follow-up
>Death Stranding is full of soul
>Also good games aren't soulful
>Putting effort with creative ways to deal with hardware limitations
>Half-Life 2 with it's revolutionary physics engine is sooo soulful.
>GTA:VC is not because copy-pastes formula from GTAIII
>GTA:SA is just the same as above
>Emulating PS3 games is also soulful as whole
>also defying his own argument saying that REmake is as soulful as RE1 where limitations barely exist by it's time.
>no definition at all
You can't even come with cohesive answer while you writhe with weird and spasmic definitions.

this is fucking answer
"Soul" is a literal attempt at bringing subjective nostalgia into objective talk. "Soul" exists only in your mind delusional autists.

of course yes. Just requires additional input from programmer in shaders departament instead of copy-pasting assets into another unity game. You can't imagine the shit I made with SweetFX.
Do you see warping like on PSX on pic related? This game hasn't come out yet and it's made on Unity.

Attached: 1580641961312.jpg (1300x763, 47K)

>Replying to this many posts simultaneously
Fuck off, moron.

>food analogy
>food analogy that involves coprophagia

then stop me user

Attached: 1581115223649.jpg (1620x600, 60K)

Smash 4 has soul. Ultimate is souless. Truth is both are souless as fuck and 3DS was the one with actual soul out of the three

kek

Attached: 1568065702844.jpg (250x200, 8K)

LOOK MOM! I REPLY TO EVERYONE!!

AoE 2 DE

Attached: epin_1.gif (360x253, 1.27M)

does it look bad? is it old? then it's SOUL SOUL SOUL

I was so hyped for this game after this trailer. And it fully paid off.

jesus fucking christ what a horrendous post

Attached: XugdlJd.gif (356x400, 2M)

This is using that new ai frame generation, right? Man I love technology.

>the trails of mana collection that includes all the games is $20
>the piece of shit phone game remake is $30
Literally why.

You just had multiple people explain it and for some reason still don't understand it.

When a developer puts effort into something that is superfluous just to make a person more entrenched in their world that's an example of soul. An example would be the ice melting in MGS2, absolutely no reason to do it. Another example would be Deadly Premonition and its various events that take place at random moments if you choose to look at them and serve no purpose other than to reward the player with finding them and flesh out a character more or even make your detective work suspect people earlier.

When people speak of soul for graphics they're not speaking of any one style or one design. If you want an example of soulless just look at the Mario & Luigi redesigns in the remakes. They lost features, they lost depth, they look like complete ass to the point they were never intended to look like. Look at the DKC example up above, the environment while more detailed looks less like it fits when paired up with DK and Diddy. There's more detail in how much there is and how much is detailed but at the same time they're all conflicting and overpowering each other. New games can still be soulful, look at Umihara Kawase, Splatoon, or even Dragon Quest Builders. They feel like the world is cohesive, that everything fits, and that even though things look odd and strange they at least work together.

If you can't understand "soul" then you wouldn't understand "kino" either in the way people randomly use it on this site. It's pretty, it's thematically appropriate, it's gorgeous, it drags you in, and it feels like there was effort put into what you're seeing rather than being something designed by committee and then put into the thing you're looking at.

>old game good
>new game bad
Has there ever been a situation where this isn’t the case? Asking honestly.

Why does nu-Mario hate the cameraman so much?

>reee where's the objectivity
>why are people being subjective when discussing art
Yeah, you've got the stupid.

there aren't actually people that think the one of the right looks better, right?

Attached: 1500246388978.jpg (601x625, 73K)

Attached: 95fps pit.webm (994x560, 2.57M)

not sure what to think

>Having newer tech makes it look horrible somehow
Everytime....

It's very rare. Well, games are getting shittier and shittier so it kind of makes sense.

bring me exaples of newer games with "Soul" if you want to disprove my argument. You can find plenty "soulful" games of 2010s and forth with your definition.

definition requires objectivity by design.

sauce

Attached: 400.jpg (480x399, 132K)

There's bais against the former not playing at full speed

Chii-chan Kaihatsu Nikki - 1

I literally gave you three separate series, and when I speak of Umihara Kawase I'm not speaking of the SNES games, I'm speaking of Fresh. West of Loathing, World of Final Fantasy, and Tearaway are three more examples I can give you.

this is the only correct answer

Do floppy baseball caps exist in real life

Creating something good despite obvious limitations

Yes

Attached: hegel_-_this_absolute_spirit.png (247x395, 201K)

Considering they've slowed down the original to make it choppy, there's probably idiots who fall for it.

King's Bounty

Attached: 2011-08-06_00004.jpg (1920x1200, 1001K)

you just game me series with history are dragging as far as SNES generation exist which are still connected to nostalgia. But i'll bite with splatoon. What's soulful again in it?

Except Tearaway is only as far back as the Vita, WoFF is as far back as the Vita, Deadly Premonition is only as far back as the PS3 (Though really only as far back as the 360 to the west), Splatoon is the Wii U, and DQB is the Vita.
>What's soulful again in it?
The style itself is soft but pleasant even when you're fighting enemies, the enemy designs and character designs show a lot of unneeded animations and interactions with their environment but also show that they still fit in this odd version of Earth, there is a ridiculous amount of character customization allowing for multiple combinations and player freedom, characters in the main story change their lines and discussions as the story progresses to include more banter and jabs at the player, the music is its own unique style that fits the game like a glove, and in general all the aesthetics match the world showing a lot of care was put into melding seemingly random buildings and objects into a cohesive world that you can believe the squids and octos live in.

That would be my explanation at the very least. You can tell there was a lot of effort with the brands, with the clothes, with balancing squids, octos, salmons, and ink with the overall weird technology and speaking mammals, you can tell a lot of love was put into developing various characters, and there's simply a lot of superfluous stuff that wasn't really needed. Even the hub areas ooze that feeling of homeliness and comfort with a mix of city life that these characters live in.

Charm, that’s it

Metroid zero mission. The original game even comes bundled with it so its a win-win

Attached: Metroid_--_Zero_Mission_(box_art).jpg (220x221, 20K)

if the hat didn't jump around it would be a perfect remake.
but we cant go having good things now can we?

>ADDING soul
>ADDING
Probably bait but I believe it. Because OP is always a fucking faggot.

>doesn't know what ad hom is
>tries to act smart
>fails
dumb nigger

Art style was fucking crap and THAT segment was shite.

Charm brought about by hardware limitations, but it’s now turned into “thing I like vs thing I don’t like”

soul is a matter of chance and circumstances

soulless is easier to describe: modern corporate culture produces soulless products and aesthetics
when some asset went through multiple hands including an art director who has to get it approved by completely unrelated departments, it ends up being soulless
no one poured their heart and soul into it, they just had to follow guidelines or change other peoples work based on feedback

soul happens quite often when some artist/designer/programmer was allowed to do work outside their expertise or added something unique to a game without such process
it also happens when someone is allowed to pursue their unique artstyle/design philosphy without much interference

there is a reason a lot of people attack "soul" with "nostalgia" because obviously there is more soul present in older games produced from an era before big corporate structures took hold of the gaming industry

best remake ever made my boys

>Old good
>New bad
Eh the last Punch-Out on the Wii looks pretty good and soulful to me.

This guy should be hired for the Sunshine remake

youtu.be/IQhMDviED6I

too many frames make it seem to floatier, loses a lot of weight and determination. head turning still looks stiff and cap is exagerrated way too far compared to everything else. scale it back to 6-8 frames and get back to me.

wow, can't believe you forgot about the korea remake

Attached: korea.gif (310x310, 19K)

NINTENDO

You PC graphix fags are some of the worst people

>You can find plenty "soulful" games of 2010s and forth with your definition
yeah, no shit. Every generation will have plenty of good games that push the envelope. of course, most from this decade have been indie/obscure since AAA gaming has become more corporate and profit-driven over the past few decades.

"Soul" just means you can tell the developer[s] were passionate about what they were making. That's really all there is to it.
This guy gets it

>Has there ever been a situation where this isn’t the case?
You mean where the old game was bad and the new game is good or where the new game is good like the old game?

How can you look at Sword/Shield and not tell me that is the most soulless Pokemon game ever?

because ORAS exists

>Old good, New bad
Only retards failure to grasp soul. The only reason so many old things are soulful is because the loss of passion and craftsmanship in the industry.
Most of the people who worked on such projects are probably not even in the industry at all at this point.
Added on to that the push for a wider and wider audience to the point of watering down the overall product really doesn't help.

Attached: 1582771776273.png (377x598, 324K)

Soulless.

As shitty and utterly dissapointing ORAS was; it was far better than the new ones.

Faster.

Fuck i wish we would have gotten a new one.

Fuck never mind, just checked and apparently we are getting kings bounty 2?

Right is a neat concept but it smears too much, looks a lot like those furry animations where they drag/tween a static image.

We are.
It's not made by the original (Russian) dudes and the dev wants to steer it into "a more mature direction".

Attached: monkeypaw-2017-04-07-09-15.jpg (640x480, 33K)

Don´t bother with Pokemon. The games aren´t even the focus for the Pokemon Company. They´re just advertIsing for the newest merchandise that makes year after year way more money than the games ever could. They don´t give two fucks about the quality or the "soul" factory of the games. As long as they sell toys or whatever, they´re good enough for them.
Also the fanbase is known for extremely docile and used to eating shit being shat out by Gamefreak.

Weeaboos have been conditioned to like 8 FPS animation for decades.

soul is when the game maker takes risks thats it

and maybe gives a shit (same guy here btw

No not neccesarily.

I don't remember this being this smooth. Was it always like that?

Goddamnit, why can't they take note from doom. People want what the original gave them, just polished up a bit and with new technology.

>upgrade for Sunshine is aesthetically on par with a Dolphin beta
what did he mean by this?

SOUL SOULLESS

>essence

Hmmmmmmmmm?

I feel like we already had this thread yesterday. yet it clearly has been months.

btw don't click the image.

Attached: 1575498545472.gif (400x200, 5K)

BABY YOU CAN'T TELL BY THE WAY I USE MY WALK I'M A WOMAN'S MAN

>that fucking gif
Post edits

why is my ram at 99% usage

Attached: 1502272328527.jpg (270x320, 18K)

AAAAAAAAAAAH

lol

don't think i'm not done.

Attached: 1575498545474.gif (400x200, 23K)

HE'S GAINING SPEED

please stop

H-HE'S FAST

Attached: 1552533766151.webm (512x470, 2.77M)

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY DADS LAPTOP HOW DO I FIX THIS

no, because soul is an abstract concept
everyone can define soul in their own way
for example, to me something being soulful means that something was truly cared about, there's been massive amounts of effort and hard work put into that something to truly maximize it's potential

But those are not remakes. They are sequels

Attached: 1575498545475.gif (400x200, 3K)

It's the sole takeaway from being long enough on Yea Forums to know that it is mostly shitposting.

I'm gonna say it, SOUL threads are entertaining, with jokes that poke actual fun rather than being hidden between 10 layers of irony

Its a meme born out of people trolling people upset with the retarded design changes in the Spyro trilogy.

SOUL
SOULLESS

Attached: halo-2-remake.jpg (1920x1080, 1.23M)

nay, it came about from the "old game good, new game bad" it's literally the same, it was spammed because Crowbcat dared make fun of Far Cry 5

Might be the ultimate example. (and I liked Returns as well)
Yyeeeaaaah, no.

Attached: Taki-soul-soulless.png (541x370, 422K)

Soul isn't something that has a universal measurement and will be different from person to person, game to game. I think a great example of a game with soul is Megaman X, especially compared to it's two direct sequels. The soul of the game comes from how each individual element of the game (music, stage design, X's gameplay, story presentation, and UI) come together to form something that's worth more than the sum of their parts.

F A L S E : I played some Bloody Roar with my lil cousins and they loved watching my Gado playtrhough.
(they just said a little remark "it's funny how the characters look like they are made of simple shapes")
These kids know Fortnite & COD.

I was there posting in the fucking threads when it started. Unless my memory is getting bad the OLD GOOD NEW BAD came after the SOUL SOULESS spyro threads.

You're doing it on purpose. I'm sorry but you are.

>when water on 20-year-old hardware shits on your gaymen pc

yes, your memory is getting old but the timeframe isn't that huge between them, shitposting is still the origin

You can’t be serious

12 frames look like indie shit.

The original Mario looks like indie shit

Kill yourself

Love this song thanks to IWBTG

The left looks like they have personality. The right is them just angry.

>Fuckin bullshit that we're all immortal riding these cool fuckin karts all over the universe
>I HATE IT AAA

Kill yourself

Attached: 1575498545476.gif (400x200, 155K)

Right is having fun with your friends, left is competitive retards being mad

>wii
>two generations ago
I can't tell if you agree or disagree.

i agree except for REmake

'soul' is basically user-speak for 'nostalgia'
especially considering that people rarely come up with any constructive explanations or arguments, they just use that words since they don't fully understand themselves why they think like they do

youtube.com/watch?v=IfqUbUXKsoI

I don't think they removed it entirely. Look at the bottom right corner, it says something about scenery, not sure if it has to do anything with that tho

>Filter over generic environments and endlessly reused models
>More soulful than the entire game being specially made sprites

Soul is IMPERFECTIONS. JESUS FUCK. Little touches that show and remind us that it was made by another human being. Like seeing the brushstrokes of a painting, instead of just a photograph. Things that are perfect are cold, robotic, and emotionless. That's the difference between soul and soulless.

Attached: 1555762156742.jpg (218x250, 5K)

Attached: file.png (1720x1236, 3.46M)

Literally only one piece of the puzzle captain autismo.

THEN WHY THE FUCK DO YOU ALWAYS COMPLAIN WHEN GAMES ARE BAD?

Attached: ninja warriors.gif (400x280, 75K)

This.

It's why voice acting and 3D basically ruins everything no matter what with few exceptions. It takes away the imagination.

Retard. Fucking moron. Absolute smoothbrain.

codeword for nostalgia induced euphoria

the remake is good because original is awful

BAD THING GOOD
GOOD THING BAD

>soul doesn't exi-

Attached: 1580414453907.png (1360x1536, 3.15M)

>Soul is IMPERFECTIONS
Go back to Yea Forums you fucking hipster

Gross

Let's ignore the fact that the left isn't even the first stage you cherrypicking fuckwit

Both are shit

>grandmas homebaked cookies
soul
>mass produced cookies made in chinese factory
soulless

absolute state of soi """"devs""""

you fucking idiots don't even understand the meme you're spouting, that's a response to someone replying to every post and making a single pointless response to all of them. Lurk more

>improve character models
>downgrade environment models
what did blizzard mean by this?

Within the limits of the platform the game's presentation supports your immersion and let's you imagine stuff? Newer games just don't do it for me. Nier was the last game that came close

you know like when you just know that a white girl fucks dogs? kinda the same.
play dmc and dmc 5 for example, one is a love note while the other is dmc

just outsource my shit up

little balls hahaha

Maybe graphically but Kil'jaeden looks fucking retarded in Reforged

What makes the human human? Is it anything beyond just the mortal flesh?

Attached: Johann_Wolfgang_Goethe_2.jpg (1200x1600, 270K)

Attached: umineko-when-they-cry-hair-coloring-cartoon-long-hair-comparison.jpg (800x1501, 232K)

I wish someone would just make a 90's era Mario model and render it like this.

it's the same game, dumbass

gimme middle column

soul, soulless, soulleast

>Dong Returns
>tfw enemies disappear in a puff of smoke when you jump on them instead of falling off screen

Attached: baseball bitch.png (640x480, 255K)

-Top left: 'Haha! Fuck-a you, Bowser! Suck-a my tailpipe!'
-Top right:'I fuckin swear to God I'm gonna beat Peach's ass when I get home tonight. Fuckin cunt.'
-Bottom left:'Ahahaha! You can't-a beat me, Bowser! Lets race!'
Bottom right:'Fuck every one of these cocksucking parasites. Not a single one of them would be doing anything besides cleaning the shitters in Bowers' castle if not for me!'

so there was an animation on newgrounds i watched fucking ages ago where you had marios from different generations together and one where they were running away from something together and the animator actually made some really interesting running sprites for original mario.(8 bit or 4 bit?). trying to find it but its so so long ago.

Zero mission

Extremely based taste. Ryukishi deniers can choke on my dick

Attached: 7FGANKKGH48J1571781074670-640x360.jpg (640x360, 56K)

Deviantart fan art, soul, soulless

Soul:
Soulless:

But left column is the art done by the original creator.

This is a good example.

Old design fit the aesthetics of the game and in a clever way uses stuff like blood, chains and etc as part of the UI/menu and how it works. It all fits the theme and aesthetics of the game and makes it feel like the Menu/UI is a part of the game. It unique and clever, it has soul.

Now look at the new menu/UI. You could use the that design in every single game and it would work, but it doesn't look like or feel like it's even part of the game. It's a copy-paste design that you can use on anything, it's lazy and lacks any kind of imagination. It's lazy/cheap and lacks and is SOULLESS

Attached: God of soul.png (3000x1012, 2.73M)

Extra frames look terrible unless you actually physically animate them. When you add them or use an AI to generate them, they look "off" because you're just duplicating and modifying existing frames.

Not a remake but

Attached: 320px-MM_Majora's_Mask_Render.png (320x286, 90K)

This was the competitive multiplayer game of choice between me and my friend for like a decade.
The sequel not having that pretty much killed it from day one.

>HAHA!

Attached: 040.jpg (882x624, 72K)

you definitely own a dragon dildo

Kept waiting but no one did it...

So I did it myself.

Attached: erecthat.gif (400x200, 25K)

>The left one is Mario dancing
>Right one is him jump-walking
????

>gigantic fucking demon with a sick cape and burning hellfire everywhere
Bottom
>demon straight outta some bara doujin

Why.

sauce

Why is his hat so floppy? Is it trying to be a innuendo to something else?

you made him walk backwards?

why is he walking backwards when OP one isn't

The fact that these pictures, infographics, and paragraphs need to be made to explain why these artistic liberties were the wrong choice, only proves how subjective this is and what a vocal minority these opinions are.
Save yourself the grey hairs and increased risk of a heart attack. Anyone disagreeing with you is just enjoying the spectacle of your inane ramblings.

that's his dick

soul: what i like
soulless: what i don't like

aside from his hand, which is not that bad, but kinda weird, the remake is pretty good

outsourcing and nublizz being dogshit in general

Attached: 1580378978678.png (830x1030, 1.64M)

I never liked warcrafts style. Too colorful and stereotypish cartoony. So boring. It's all for the toilet, whoever was the artdirector on that game should be locked up where he came from, in kindergarden...

The hat doesn't flop anymore.

Hopefully this one isn't backwards.

Attached: erecthat2.gif (400x200, 25K)

Attached: 1563514286672.gif (400x280, 77K)

when a game features the distinct care or intent or passion of it’s creator, represented by it’s visual or abstract style

it sounds like you yourself are soulless user

pls, don't hit a dead horse. nu gaming is for septic tank divers. Nu tomb raider, nu god of war, uncharted, horizon zero dawn, last of U.S., they are pure garbage without soul and full of satans marketing spirit

this, but the opposite

The development team gave a shit about what they were doing and took clear pride in their work rather than the game being a vehicle for microtransactions

yes, looks correct now.

I just noticed, his feed should have stayed stiff. Those floppy feed look redicilous. Sure it's nitpicking, but with those shoes and feet he looks like some clown dad walking on the beach

It still looks like shit, the hat jumps with every step.

Pfft how old are you?

Better?

Attached: erecthat3.gif (400x200, 25K)

not him but keep his head in a fixed position (not moving side to side) and it's perfect

>there is literally no remake that adds soul. At BEST they equal out.
Resident Evil

based af

>slowing down original to make it look worse
Gay

Attached: 8ff7c923edf2f27ec3a844bf3c3bb45f.gif (360x381, 126K)

MML is the very definition of vidya soul

Attached: mmlabsoluteSOUL.webm (800x600, 2.9M)

Use Yandex image search

I perspective of this is all fucked up.
I always just see a woman standing upright while a sentient, detached ass and legs bounces behind her.

Are we only counting remakes?

Based

what would be the non-remake examples?

Top kek

The minimalism meme hit game UIs hard. Even Nintendo is doing it now in games like BotW and SMO.

why she in a wheelchair she's a fuckng robot lmao just fix her

His hat slapping his nose like a limp dick still looks stupid.

If it is I'm gonna lose it.

The art style in MML is fantastic, but I feel like the world is really blocky and unnatural outside of town. Games like Spyro had much better 3D worlds.

Attached: Spyro the Dragon (USA)-0005.png (960x720, 926K)

that anime was SOUL

*cries in PAPER MARIO thousand year door*

Nah you're gay

>soul
looks like shit
>souless
looks polished and good

This. The human mind loves adding the missing details by itself, and low res graphics, no dialogue/voice acting and minimalistic plots leaves a lot to the imagination. By making sequels/remakes/remasters you add details that may alienate a lot of fans who imagined different things, hence why a lot of people 'feel' that the remakes are soulless.

thing I like = soul
thing I don't like = soulless

RE -> REmake

Attached: c4520613bb3f1dbbea744a8ba098bac039a21d7e.jpg (616x353, 69K)

>The human mind loves adding the missing details by itself,
This shit can't be brought up often enough because it's amazing how much of your daily life is enhanced by the brain basically interpolating shit. The whole blind spot thing alone is making people shit their pants.

Soul vs soulless is a real thing, because as sequels and remakes happen, the original idea gets polished with contemporary design trends and homogenized like other contemporary games. The first game of the series usually gets made as a unique passion project that loses its identity as more people get on board for the sequels and test it with focus groups to the point that more audiences will like it, but fewer people will love it.

Compare the following SNES games
>Super Mario World
>Donkey Kong Country
>Kirby Super Star
>Yoshi's Island

All of them have very distinct artstyles. If you put screenshots of those games they look different from one another. Your mom will be able to tell they're separate games.

Now compare their 3DS installments
>New Super Mario Bros. 2
>Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
>Yoshi's New Island
>Kirby Triple Deluxe
These games look much more similar to each other; their artstyles are way more carbon copy. If you take a screenshot of the first level from each game, hide the main character, and show it to your mom she would probably think it's the same game.

"Soul" is the personality a game has, rough edges and all, before succumbing to too many established formulas. IMO the biggest example of Soul vs Soulless today is Ratchet and Clank (PS2) vs Ratchet and Clank (PS4). Jesus Christ, it's genuinely one of the worst remakes ever.

>Soul/Soulless

Attached: langrisser1.jpg (2000x2813, 3.51M)

The King's Quest VGA fan remake

soul: thing I like because I played it as a kid

>popular anime art back then gets replaced with popular anime art right now
Color me surprised. Try posting something with art that isn't super fucking common for that era next time.

Thing I like vs thing I dislike.

Pertaining to Yea Forums it means nothing, it's a meaningless buzzword that retards use to defend a particular art style/aesthetic because they lack the mental capability to articulate why they like it. When it's not that, it's just shitposters.

Sequels that are the same game but better, like Splatoon 1 and 2 or Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2

that's a vagina. the female reproductive organ. looks different doesn't it.

this is actually sickening, jesus christ
Urushihara deserves better

I can't fucking stand the washed out color pallet that all anime uses today.

Attached: aac871db6ee64d64c0a14ac94c413ff2.jpg (1440x1152, 263K)

WC3 reforged is the quintessential example of making something soulless. also legitimately the worst remake ever made. and that's not shitposting that is objective truth. and it just came from blizzturd.

Bait.

that Mario on the right would look fucking stupid going at the speeds SMB played at

the new style would've been good if they got a good modern artist instead of generic crap. I believe they actually wanted to get the original artist back but he refused.

Right is boring Hollywood aesthetic

It's either washed out or makes people look like they're made of porcelain.

Attached: modern_anime_coloring.jpg (640x409, 85K)

what the fuck is that yoda

Why is his hat flopping off his fucking head? That's not how hats work, and Mario was never Looney Tunes tier cartoonish like that.

>or makes people look like they're made of porcelain.
I wish Kaneko did all of anime

Attached: Raidou_Kuzunoha_render.png (2608x3774, 2.15M)

>it's not sanitized
This is very true. It's the different from left and right. One feels overly cleaned, plastic, and very inorganic. The other is comfortable because it happened to fall there, it's organic and natural.

Attached: comparison.jpg (1200x628, 256K)

This but unironically

Its a combination of creativity, attention to detail and general effort taken. Its hard to tell if the developer is passionate, but those three things are a great indicator of it

There's a lot of bullshit in mario kart, that would be my expression too if I was racing in the game.

I would disagree with this example, I think both images look fine and have soul.

None of these have soul. Mario Kart Wii is the only mk game with soul

>Image if of the soulless Translation of text
>Original Japanese text did not have Quintessence but it did have a name

Soulless game in great series. Only the SNES games has Soul

>still not on Pc

Ask me how I know you have a small baby dick.

Literally no

Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia.

>the chad stride
>the virgin gallop

the colors/contrast

Attached: sPXblgn.jpg (800x623, 86K)

I want the answer to this question as well. Who thought this was a good idea?

Attached: 1582326124962.gif (274x249, 214K)

Hats don't bounce off your head like that when you jog. Whoever made this is an idiot.

Right side is too polished and emphasizes the lighting, which is washed out.

Soulfags killed any form of discussion on this board

It's funny you mentioned shaders. Your pic related is nothing like PS1 and looks more like PS2 except that it's soulless.

you need help user

Can't hear this music without thinking of danny2462's KSP videos.

NO
NO IT'S NOT

The left image is quite "ugly", especially for modern standards

However in learning to love something that looks ugly/uncanny/weird you develop a deeper affection for it

Charm. That's it.

SOUL VS SOULLESS VS SOULLESSEST

Attached: umineko-when-they-cry-hair-coloring-cartoon-long-hair-comparison-png-clip-art.png (910x1708, 317K)

aw shit, here comes pac-man...

synonym for "I like this but have no arguments to explain why

>What exactly makes left have more soul?
Your nostaliga goggles

Attached: 1541829152824.png (652x389, 326K)

This

classic case of over-animation

Please look at the photograph, Mr. Clarence

Attached: 1551298811968.png (784x744, 1.05M)

tard

I attribute "soul" as an extreme attention to detail. A recent example is Luigi's Mansion 3, there is a part fairly late in the game where you fight a ghost in a 70's disco. As you are waiting for the ghosts pattern to cycle to the part you can do damage, Luigi is dancing to the music and snapping his fingers to the beat. It's little details like that that make a game that much more "soulful" to me.

There's zero timing done on the interpolated animation, so it sucks ass.

is what your mom is ROFL
don't even bother responding you got owned newfag
owned to the MAX HAHAHAHA
fucking nig.

For faggots on Yea Forums? Nostalgia
For normal people? An artistic style that can never be outdated.
Example: The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker. It’s cartoonish style makes it transcend the graphical boundaries that a more realistic game might have, despite actual gameplay.

>don't even bother responding you got owned newfag

Attached: VceKEOx1.jpg (970x970, 71K)

Hey pacman, what's up?

"Soul" only exists in a comparative sense, and is used on whatever product has more imperfections (often caused by hardware limitations), because that makes the soulposter feel pity/empathy for the poor little developers, and therefore any future improvement that polishes upon it is bad.
There are some valid examples like where the differences are radical, but these are the exception.
Basically are right on and this non-argument needs to die already.

It's crazy how that at one point in my life I would've consider Blizzard one of my favorite developers, but now I wouldn't play the shit they put out even if I got paid to. WoW was the beginning of the end.

It's sort of amazing they still have a fanbase at all. The people still buying Blizzard, Bethesda and Bioware games are on another fucking level of insane

>10 years
>Didn't improve at all
>Just dropped their stylization
Goddamn

kek

Where did it go so fucking wrong

Attached: remake.jpg (762x531, 129K)

"Soul" just like "God", does not exist.

With some luck it will never be released but I fear TM is just biding their time to release it for the 20th anniversary.

On the other hand 2001 Takeuchi couldn't draw for shit, much less color.

Attached: 1542992595025.jpg (598x677, 188K)

lol dunno bro

Attached: soulguy.jpg (1200x1821, 314K)

ehehehe

Attached: dong.gif (400x200, 22K)

Attached: noooiiiiicceee.gif (244x244, 65K)

ok this is just trolling. right is much better in every aspect

Irish Mario is kinda fun, at least.

kirby super star ultra

Chrono Trigger is objectively better on the DS than it was on the SNES

Aesthetically pleasing and unique in artstyle and direction = Soul
Minimalist design garbage = soulless

Attached: 1576596271057.gif (444x384, 14K)

>That hat slapping
Fucking hate the fact that games need to do this kind of shit for normalfags that need to see everything moving all the time or they get bored.

>>Emulating PS3 games is also soulful as whole
This is true, along with emulating 360 games.

Take a look at pic related.
If you still don't get it, you're about as hopeless as those chinks in Wuhan.

Attached: sims1vs4.jpg (2598x1212, 308K)

is that loss

The closest I can come to is "consistent" and that's still fairly subjective. Something is "soulless" when it loses what made the original good. So in the case of OP, Mario never quite moved in such an animated bouncy way. It's inconsistent of what we know Mario to be not just from SMB1, but from what came later too.

Another example of this is the "sonic redesign" that gets shitposted sometimes. It reduces Sonic's ability to express, and becomes inconsistent - because we know Sonic is a hedgehog with attitude.

I know this isn't objective, but that's as close as I can get. I'll think on it.

Alright, explain how the neighbourhood was better in Sims 1
I really wanna hear it

>using the neighborhood that is purposely empty for the player to develop as a comparison
fellas I think this might be cherry picked.

FLOPPIER