Do people really think Ocarina of Time is better than BOTW?

Do people really think Ocarina of Time is better than BOTW?

I mean I know BOTW could have more dungeons and enemies but OOT is simply not on the scale that BOTW is.

Please tell me its just a small subset of nostalgic boomers that think this way.

Attached: SI_N64_LegendOfZeldaOcarinaOfTime_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 311K)

Nah, BotW's atmosphere was shit, the only thing it actually has going for it is the puzzles for a 3D Zelda and even then, they get stale after 30 shrines or so.

that scale came at a price

It just depends on what you want user
Ocarina of Time
>A simple story
>Interesting locales
>Tons of puzzles and dungeons
>Tons of unique bosses and enemies
>Constant stream of gear that's fun to just use in the field whenever you want
>Fantastic soundtrack
>You can beat it in like 15 minutes or something crazy these days.

BotW
>Empty nothing field
>4 enemies copy pasted all over it
>No dungeons
>4 Divine Beasts that all take about 15-20 minutes to beat
>No interesting NPC's
>Reskinned bosses that are just a hodgepodge of polygons
>Like 2-3 songs while the rest are just piano strokes
>No story
>The replay value
>It's honestly just reused assets thrown all over the place
>Hyrule Castle is one of the best "dungeons" in the series
>You can beat it in like 30 minutes or something crazy these days.

Different strokes for different folks.

Attached: Wow.png (174x174, 68K)

Scale doesn't automatically make something better my zoomer friend. OoT absolutely destroys BotW in anything that actually matters.

Such as?

BotW is a repetitive grind with shrines similar to most modern games.
OOT is a well paced adventure filled to the brim, it's side content is just enough not to get overbearing.
Now, if BotW2 actually manages to understand dungeon design we might have something great.

I was just replaying OoT last week and it certainly isn't as great as people remember it to be. Hyrule Field is empty, Link's movement is incredibly sluggish except when you ride Epona (which you can only do in Hyrule Field and you're forced to dismount to explore everywhere else) most of the puzzles consist of hitting a switch or pushing a block, a lot of the dungeon items are lame (hover boots, longshot, megaton hammer, etc.), the bosses are pretty basic, the sidequests are all pretty dull, there is almost nothing worthwhile to spend your rupees on. It's a solid game given that it was released in 1998 and it's impressive how much Nintendo managed to get right on their first attempt, but modern games have been able to build upon what OoT established and have go on to do better things.

I don't think you played the same games as everyone else.

>Better story
>Better cast
>Better OST
>More puzzles and dungeons
>Ending that will stuck with you from years from now

Because BotW is sorta open worlded and voice acting doesn't mean it's better than OoT.

Music, pacing, dungeons, story, space is used far better than in BotW (not just giant empty fields, with the exception of maybe Hyrule field). Combat and boss fights are roughly the same, since they're not particularly good in either game (OoT's bosses shit all over the BotW ones in presentation though). OoT also doesn't have anywhere as much padding or repetition as BotW, so it's a far easier game to return to. BotW is a play it once and done type of game, it's just completely soulless.

BOTW is equivalent purely on the basis that it pushed it's console to it's threshold and broke new ground. Also, it had one of the largest worlds for a 3D game at the time, which is like OOT if memory serves correct.
OOT simply cannot compete if we don't take the age of the game and the spec constraints into account. But it was the BOTW of it's day regardless. To me BOTW was the OOTesque zelda I wanted as a kid. A massive map with no constraints other than the ground and the edge of hyrule.

BUT.
BOTW needed dungeons. I missed dungeons so much in BOTW. BOTW, while dark, wasn't that spooky like some older zelda titles. OOT, MM and even TP spooked the hell out of me. MM especially with both the direct elements and the overarching themes and story. BOTW had a good theme, but lacked the direct spooks that a dungeon would give.
So that recent trailer was no surprise. It's the logical next step after designing one of the largest maps in gaming history.

I do wish they make a new map after it though.
Also, more people if that is possible (I doubt it with such a large map on the switch).

>but modern games have been able to build upon what OoT established and have go on to do better things.
Sure, and if we were talking about something like Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, I'd even agree with you that mechanically, the later Zelda formula games surpassed it in certain ways. The problem is BotW isn't a Zelda game, and doesn't feel like any of the other ones. It's just some meme open world game that takes more influence from Ubisoft and Bethesda shit than it does from other Zelda games. Even the argument that zoomers love parrot about it being like Zelda 1 falls apart, since it's always obvious that none of them actually played that game. BotW is a Zelda game for people that never liked Zelda games.

>OOT is simply not on the scale that BOTW is.
i think you have this backwards.

Hyrule Fields is meant as a crossroads to other areas. This overrused complaint is simply rubbish.
The rest is just you listing an aspect of the game and adding subjective opinions like "boring" and "dull", anyone can do it and it leaves room for no retort other than "nu-uh!".

Nostalgia, user. If you were alive when it came out, you'd understand the monumental paradigm shift OoT made concerning to the Zelda franchise (and lets be honest here, all OoT was, was a reskinned Super Mario 64 with major improvements to gameplay, music, and story, and seeing as SM64 was the N64's flagship, its easy to see why it gained such success).

BotW is simply an evolution and refinement in open-world player-driven games. It brought relatively little that is new to the series besides a bit more three-dimensional dungeons (in both scale and puzzles). That isn't to say that BotW is bad, fuck I had two wild rides on normal and Master Mode. It just doesn't have that same shift between LttP and OoT as OoT has to BotW.

It's apples and oranges user. If you weren't alive to experience it, it won't be something you can understand. But in my own personal book, BotW is only very slightly less fun than OoT, but still a major contender to my favorite Zelda game.

ZELDA IS CASUAL SHIT FOR NINT*DDLERS, KIDS AND WOMEN.

ALSO FUCK CONSOLE NIGGERS

Attached: vidyaprices.jpg (810x617, 208K)

I agree that it lacked dungeons, though Hyrule Castle really was taste of what is to come (hopefully).
It was the best part of the game by far other than the initial exploration and discovery of the tower map parts.
The shrine aspect was ... boring. I avoided them and focused on doing shit outside of them. Why? Too small, too insignificant to care about, too same same for each shrine.
If they had HC sized dungeons instead though....

I also agree they need to get you more engaged with the NPC characters.
Was there even a trade sequence?

BOTW was sabotaged by the stamina wheel restriction.

Can't believe people this stupid find their way here

>LA comes out and attracts all the shitposters
>people can finally have meaningful discussion
I never thought this day would come.

Not like them hardcore virtual novels for pros like us righr?

Rain climbing as well

Ocarina of Time has no level scaling. There's a sense of progression as you go through the game. Because of the linear progress a puzzle in temple 4 can assume you learned lessons from everything before it and can test you on all of those concepts. Without that the game can only test you on the four tools you aqcuired in the tutorial, because it can't assume you learned anything else.
Also your weapons don't break, except for Biggoron's Sword. And FUCK Biggoron's Sword.

>scale = good
I guess the rebooted AssCreed games are the best shit ever made

>he doesn't know

Attached: 1559412999613.gif (533x300, 2.02M)

Rain climbing yes, stamina wheel no. Climbing a mountain with caution of thestamina wheel is an interesting puzzle. It just werks. Otherwise it would be too fucking easy.

>Also your weapons don't break, except for Biggoron's Sword. And FUCK Biggoron's Sword.
Wat.

Oh do you not know user?

Attached: 1537938705911.png (728x527, 141K)

Are you talking about Deku Sticks?

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaka

Attached: 1551635589712.jpg (1230x854, 153K)

OoT is the definition of SOUL

It's probably some stupid fucking obscure anime meme

OOT doesn't have very many enemies either

This is one of the things I always found lacking but also strange about OOT
Combat is actually sparse and simple as well
The main thing that makes OOT good is the dungeons most of the other stuff is actually really average for the series which is why it's confusing that it's so overrated

Personally, MM was the best Zelda because it had such a long list of things to do before each temple. BOTW did that better than OOT too, but then the "dungeon" was so small and boring. Great bay temple and Snowhead are so fucking massive (scale with snowhead, not actual number of rooms to cover). When you first complete snowhead, you shit yourself when you see the map.
Honourable mentions:
>OOT
Forest Temple
Water Temple
Spirit Temple
>BOTW
Hyrule Castle
>TP
Temple of Time
Hyrule Castle

they must be- they've got the reviews and accolades to prove it, and every BotWfag knows the press don't lie

A Link to the Past is better than both of those games.

this, MM has less temples but pre-temple content is by far the best in the series.
>get to know well the zones and invest you more in the game
>each zone makes you use the transformation mask in a interesting way
>the last one specially uses everything
the worst part about MM is the water temple, but once you know how the "current" works, is not that hard, not as annoying as Water temple in OoT or other garbage temples in the other zeldas.

Only children and manchildren like sandbox open world garbage like BotW and GTA.
Change my mind.

I want to add that it's so weird how discovering new villages is the highlight in a Zelda game.
BotW is still the best open world game out there since it understands what makes the genre fun, but they really need to drop the repetitive stuff open world games suffer from and focus more on unique experiences throughout the world.
Having something akin to MM's masks would really spice exploration up as well. It's a bummer how the Zora armor is the only thing like that.

It's really not. OOT improved upon that game in every way.

>Hyrule Field is empty
well it is a field, and there are secrets, and lon lon ranch is smack dab in the middle, but sure it really isn't all to full
>Link's movement is incredibly sluggish except when you ride Epona
it was the first 3D game in the series, so sure the animation is rudamentary
>most of the puzzles consist of hitting a switch or pushing a block
yea the puzzles aren't a thrill to do usually
>a lot of the dungeon items are lame
hold the phone!
>hover boots, longshot, megaton hammer
increased range for the hookshot? in 3D? before TP gave us two of them so you can be spiderguy!
a hammer that you can use instead of just the sword? meh I can secede that one
you're gonna knock the hover boots? those were so cool! suppose you don't like iron boots either? before you could walk upside down, sinking into water was a neat thing!
you gotta expand on that ect. now, I wanna know what items you dislike lol
>the bosses are pretty basic
and they aren't in botw? this is a series problem imo
>the sidequests are all pretty dull
they're pretty cool to me, always rewarded with some neat lore and items! majoras mask has the best sidequests because it pulls a witcher 3, interweaves them into the mainstory more
>there is almost nothing worthwhile to spend your rupees on
yea only certain entries in the series really remedied this
>It's a solid game given that it was released in 1998 and it's impressive how much Nintendo managed to get right on their first attempt
that's the point! take it into context and be completely wowed!

>Music, pacing, dungeons, story, space is used far better than in BotW
this is sarcasm or a complete joke

Bigger scale is not automatically good.
If anything the scale is one of BotW's fundamental problems, it led to a lot of filler.

if rain would announce itself and not just abruptly it'd be so much better, even after a rain things could be wet for a while
the stamina wheel wasn't a neat mechanic and simply limits the fun you can have, just like the action bar in albw, the games could be better without them
in a game about freedom and exploration you shouldn't have to mess with a decreasing bar, you should be able to run and climb and discover stuff at your leisure
deku sticks make for nice weapons lol
the thing about Zelda isn't that it's particularly challenging but it's interactive and engaging
Assassins Creed being bad is a meme, those games are great and I'll stand by them. It's Splinter Cell that turned rotten.
LttP is still great but one is a 3D experience and the other 2D, so it depends on the mood, they're very very similar in structure
>the worst part about MM is the water temple
that's probably the best water dungeon in the series imo
why even engage you, buzz word meme man
>BotW is still the best open world game out there since it understands what makes the genre fun, but they really need to drop the repetitive stuff open world games suffer from and focus more on unique experiences throughout the world.
this is why it's not the best, this is why Assassins Creed is probably the best, it gives you fantastic tools that make just movement fun, and follow that up with engaging plot and challenging missions
ignore that I thought you meant BotW being better than OoT

did ocarina really have that many more enemy types?

this is a bait post, right?

OOT is one of the best transitions to a 3d game ever, it has a full story, dungeons, item progression, and tons of depth.

BOTW has...an open world and...shrines?

I think stamina is OK for things like climbing, or for sprinting while in combat, where the limitation actually adds some kind of challenge. It adds nothing to general traversal, however; there it's just obnoxious.

It had enough to not feel stale. As someone mentioned earlier, the encounters were also relatively sparse (stalchildren notwithstanding).

that bar and the rain really make it a pain for the one thing the game does right; let you climb everything
>encounters were also relatively sparse
it only had a few enemies but they were paced for players quite well

What BotW lacked in comparison to OoT and most other Zeldas is:
>fun combat
>dungeons
>new game mechanics as a reward
>tight level design
>serviceable story
>enemy variety
Overall BotW is an okay game, but a bad Zelda game.

>the worst part about MM is the water temple
fuck no its only got one part that is a pain in the ass the great bay is cool and zora link is the only time in the zelda series that being in/around water is fun

>oot has literally all good things
>botw has literally one good point
golly user, this post isnt biased at all.

BOTW is Ocarina for zoomers: empty, just like their generation.

Fuck shrines they can suck my dick

i don't know why people keep saying botw is some meme empty open world game because that shit doesn't appeal to me, but as a zoomer who only played oot and mm for like 30 minutes on an emulator in 2013 so had no real concrete experience with tloz games botw blows that shit out of the water personally. am i missing something? what makes it so much more entertaining then if they're literally the same like Yea Forums seems to think?

Attached: 1528814251252.png (234x278, 117K)

botw has some decent towns and hyrule field is massive, but literally everything is worse in botw.

look at fucking botw's combat. its oot but left/right/forward z-target attacks are literally gone.
story is basically non-existent and shoved to optional movie files.
there's only 4 short dungeons and they're not even connected to the world.
literally 5 types of enemies

its just weird growing up starting at nes and living through oot as a legit 10/10, and now we have a new generation that thinks botw is a 10/10 when it really isn't

Attached: 1401846770457.jpg (545x428, 72K)

Neither are the best zelda, but they are both damn good
The best is either Majoras Mask, Link to the Past or Minish Cap

>as a zoomer who only played oot and mm for like 30 minutes on an emulator 6 years ago.....botw blows that shit out of the water personally. am i missing something?
literally everything?

>Majoras Mask, Link to the Past or Minish Cap
one of these is not like the other of these things is cringe fuck LTTP minish cap is unrated but its hardly even the best handheld zelda

Bigger does not mean better. Sure you can ride your shield like a skateboard and travel further around the field, but it lacks the interesting dungeons, unique item puzzles, simple boss fights and catchy memorable music the previous games had.

oh, I don't mean blows MM and OoT out of the water, I meant open-world games.

>I meant open-world games
Assassin's Creed, and Far Cry are better, Skyrim and Morrowind and Oblivion are better, ..

I miss because able to talk about either game without it being a contest or how one or the other is shit because shitting on everything is popular and "based".

I mean, he's being honest?

To each their own opinion my dude, what would you say is the best?

>I am so tired I said "because" instead of "being"
I need more sleep

WAIT SHIT
Wind Waker is better than all my choices

Yeah, BOTW is better than OOT. They're both 10/10 and no other Zelda game even reaches 8/10.

Just be glad you're not as much of a cynical tard that you can't unironically enjoy BOTW or OOT.

Breath of the Wild's only good point is that it's an open-world game with a Zelda skin and if that's what you want then holy shit you did it, you got your game.

>Do people really think Ocarina of Time is better than BOTW?
wow.. are modern nugamer incels actually questioning this?

Botw was pretty neat visually and had a lot of "world freedom" and fun with physics, but as a zelda gamer it was a shallow mess that had no content, bad combat, no story consistency, shitty gear durability, no tools, no dungeons/temples and interesting puzzles and secrets, barely any enemy variety and literally no bosses.

It's between a 7.5 and 8, while OoT is easily a 9.5

I would enjoy a regular Zelda more

I wouldn't say Skyrim (or Oblivion) is. It has theoretically more content, sure, but a lot of it is far more unsatisfying than BotW.

Well then what about Gothic 1 and 2?
I agree that BotW has satisfying movement, that's what I like about AC, it makes moving around fun. However ES has a decent sandbox to itself that is imo great. BotW doesn't have native mod support neither.

OOT shits all over BOTW
BOTW does open world right but fails at everything else that is needed in a zelda game

does anyone even remember the finale of BOTW?

Boring gimmick boss fight
Even the actual boss fight before "that" was mediocre at best
But nah that just aint it