How the FUCK hasnt it been beaten yet? how hard is it to make an ARPG with skill trees thats actually fun?

how the FUCK hasnt it been beaten yet? how hard is it to make an ARPG with skill trees thats actually fun?

Attached: diablo 2..jpg (1200x800, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=iw39hl-wDGk
youtu.be/Np5PdpsfINA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Honestly I think the only way to beat it is just do it a different way, instead of making basically the same exact thing over and over again. Don't ask me how, though.

I actually think Grim Dawn comes pretty close. Similar themes, similar skill tree progression (excepting devotion points), unique items can define a build.

Grim Dawn has guns so it's literally unplayable. Fucking disgusting shit doesn't belong in my fantasy games.

Demons souls is the only ARPG that comes close

Because it belongs to a dead genre.
A genre too niche for the triple-A industry of today. Type of game that works well only on a PC, and requires careful planning and balancing. Kind of experience that's a nightmare to visually market as well, as it is not cinematic, not really 3D, and generally demands your attention.

>muh guns hnnnnghhhhhh

ludditefags get out

Attached: 1478999315696.jpg (460x521, 35K)

i had fun with titan quest

couldnt get into torchlights/diablo 3 but grim dawn hits the spot

Go be american somewhere else.

There's nowhere to be un-American, because America owns the world

Attached: 1478588718799.jpg (600x440, 56K)

i dislike its class mixing ocdonotsteal bullshit
just give me a list of classess to pick from
and i mean normal rpg classess

also while it was overall better to diablo 1, diablo 1 did some things better. People should be synthesizing the good elements of both instead of just straight up copying d2

path of exile is better

the eternal answer: muh nostalgia

lmfao no

>everything I don't like is nostalgia

titan quest, torchlight, path of exile
diablo 1 and 2 have tremendous atmosphere and pretty good lore
the meta game of d2 gets out of control really quickly though

They should make a Diablo-like with actually good combat mechanics.

path of +1%

That's not possible user.

diablo1 had best
wall sliding and telekill was an artform

Came here to say this. I played D2 because of POE. It's a good game but it's dated and Blizzard will never ever do it justice

Path of exile before act 5 came out was better than d1 and 2 dude

Attached: 1568940121950.png (1136x640, 622K)

The gem system is fucking great. I hope 4.0 brings a new or alternate campaign because I get tired of running the same 10 acts every character

People will never admit any game to being better than Diablo 2. No matter how other games improve the core mechanics and feel of the genre as a whole people will only believe Diablo 2 to be the best and not try anything else.

Fuck man I miss the early days PoE, where being fucking braindead wasn't the best way to play. Now that it's semi popular the game is fucking trash because it's all about instant gratification.

Play hardcore. That's what I'm doing this league

>improve
they take the mechanics in the wrong direction
things like unique that are so unique you need to get them before you make the character and then base your build around it were a bad decision, and something introduced by d2

I'm all about it

>missing out on the best ARPG currently on the market because guns

Attached: shit eating boxer.jpg (700x584, 79K)

impossible apparently

its not the skill trees, its the loot. game companies employ countless deadweights these days, diablo 2 was coded by people very good at math

I would but unfortunately I hurt my wrist a couple weeks before league started and now I'm recuperating.

I'm thinking about going SSF next time because the value in picking stuff up save for currencies just isn't there anymore. I miss it when finding rares was a valid option outside the first weekend. Feels like the only thing that matters anymore is finding currency and watching those numbers go up.

Rent Free (tm)

#everysinglethreadon4chan

Attached: 1534621601075.png (602x2048, 1.63M)

so nobody has beaten diablo 2? I never played these games so idk anything about them

>everything is bait xD
Lurk moar, newfag.

SSF is fun too. Currency has a different feel because you're not just converting most of it to chaos. Get a grip strength trainer or some finger bands. I've found playing with your main skill on keyboard helps too.

It really isn't. The way character building is structured really sucks. It's not complicated, it's just that everything is tuned to make 80% of possible builds completely worthless. It's as though they picked 10 builds and designed the endgame around them. Boring.

I actually like this design decision. You hear something drop and look at it, and it's probably shit, but once and a while you'll find something that gets you thinking about a whole new build and all of a sudden you're leveling a new character.

I made it to the second town

I'm pretty positive I've been browsing this site longer than you. Don't pretend to understand what I'm doing, you imbecile.

>advice
>from someone who hasnt mastered elementary school grammar
>"use deodorant or cologne"

uhh, no thanks.

You're blinded by nostalgia

This, even the most basic of items can change the course of the game a lot of times. Im using the new gloves that chance minion's damage to a certain element, then using EE and curse on hit frostbite to do full on 100% cold conversion physical minions. Its quite the experience.

But it has a long time ago, OP.

Attached: Lord_of_the_Rings-The_Two_Towers_(GBA)_08.png (480x320, 16K)

I've been here longer than you've been alive, child. Know your place.

Poe would be great if the Mets hadn’t devolved into gotta go fast builds. I am usually against slowing down combat in the genre but Poe really needs to. Also sucks that you can’t look badass without opening your wallet. I get they have to make money but I swear they make in game items ugly on purpose to sell skins

NO. UR WRONG
OLD GOOD NEW BAD
OLD GOOD NEW BAD

Titan Quest, m8. It has the best skill trees in an ARPG since D2.
To a lesser extent I'd also say the Torchlight games. I'd put them on par with D2.

I was 4 when D2 came out, so no. I played it for the first time 5 years ago and loved it. muh nostalgia is such a shit argument

LOL ok guy

GGG has said they'd like to slow down the game but every attempt they try to is meeted with overwhelming bitching by the community, even if they try to tone down the loot its the same thing. Hopefully 4.0 can change that with a big overhaul. Might be their only chance.

>Im the Joker baby!!

>not running two guns build

the original torchlight is decent, but 2 complete sucks

>Demon's Souls when plebs would say dark souls
Based

it was over the moment they started balanced maps with clear speed as their main concern

God gaming communities are the worst. Reee I don’t want to do anything but play my keyboard like a piano and kill screens of enemies before they load. Reddit is the cancer killing Poe.

user, you arent thinking. If you get the super special item you can do the special item build.

The fun of the arpg is in progressing the character. In starting the game, fighting, getting stronger as you progress. This super special unique item meta brings in a whole new element of cross character progression and its terrible. How can i get immersed if im thinking about dropping something off on a mule?

D1 did it right, you could easily get items of any basic type you wanted, and have your build, through shopping. You then tried to improve them. Every drop was a chance to upgrade something. You would do laz run after laz run trying to find better modifiers.
In the end thats all that happens with these unique items too, you get them and then you just try to find slightly better ones. The only difference is they force you to find them first if you want to play their associated builds, whereas in daiblo1 you could just start playing the game in which ever way you wanted to.

>Watch TED talks

Ted talks are not educational. TED stands for "Technology, entertainment and design" and contain everything from actual experts to complete frauds with no real barrier for entry. Sam Hyde got a TED talk for god sake.

The rest of that list is a fucking joke, but what else could you expect from /adv/

nothing quite fits the diablo 2 feels
path of exile is about as close as a game can come in design, atmosphere, etc...but even still it's at best a diablo 2.5

d3 is shit in a myriad of ways i'm not going into here
torchlight loses all atmosphere
victor vran has better combat but the rest of it is badly designed
titan quest is good but different
grim dawn is a meme
baldur's gate dark alliance is pathetic in content comparison
etc

PoE was ruined by the fact that it was good. It was good, so it became popular, and now that the community is made of retards, the game is being turned into one for retards.

Guns have been around since the 1300s.

I'm just posting random images to go with the hashtag.

POE is like 90% of the way to being an incredible game

personally I think their needs to be a trade overhaul and some balance towards making SSF a little bit easier. If they do this the game would be great.

never gonna be perfect though because the visual clutter is insane and tencent are scumcunts

Attached: why 4chan a shit.jpg (1614x190, 100K)

So? They have no place in my fantasy shit. Bows are infinitely cooler. I fucking hate crossbows too.

youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ
This is a TED talk, user. TED talks are mostly maymays with only one or two a year actually being worth the time it takes to listen to them.

Tfw Sam Hyde's 2070 Paradigm Shift is the most intellectually competent TED talk ever conceived

>amazing art team
>god tier sound composer
>pre-internet cringe fanfiction writers
>autistic math wizard programmers

>demon is soul

Why do people hate guns in muh fantasy?I find them quite refreshing

>Sam Hyde got a TED talk for god sake.

somebody post marky tits

I mean I know what you're saying. Being able to focus your progression on one character alone and not being gimped for. But I'm also creatively bankrupt so if I don't get distracted, I'll go full autismo play the same build for weeks on end and burn myself out of an otherwise good game.

tedx is not ted REEEEEEEEEEEE

this one looks good though : youtube.com/watch?v=iw39hl-wDGk

gay

see

Have another

Attached: 1493842478511.jpg (800x531, 104K)

you're better off becoming a coomer. It only needs 1 step :)

Because what the fuck is the point of running around with swords and axes and shit or casting spells for that matter when you can just shoot people? Bringing a knife to a gun fight sort of thing.
Obviously the game is balanced around it and it's just another ranged weapon but it feels fucking retarded.

Nah fuck off, I'm tired of fantasy games being stuck in an eternal limbo of early middle ages. Give me a fantasy game with cowboys.

Unironically 10x more soul
youtu.be/Np5PdpsfINA

>floor mattress floor mattress floor mattress floor mattress

literally why would anyone have a bed frame and shit in 2019

See, that's completely different since you are not in a fantasy setting but a western one. I'm completely fine with guns in that.

see

Have another

Attached: 1550457620674.png (4096x3105, 2.34M)

Fuck off you reddit spacing zoomer, this is a vidya thread.

Headrests. It's comfortable to prop my pillows up behind me and relax in bed reading a book. With a floor mattress or a bed without a frame, you can't get the same level of comfort or reclining angle without the bed moving away from the wall.

i seen both and i'm still cooooooominggggg aaaaaaauuuuuuuggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's stupid and kills the aesthetic balance of other weapon types/classes. It doesn't make sense for a universe to have guns and not have everyone be using them. There are advantages and disadvantages of using a bow over melee and vice versa. There is literally no disadvantage of using guns and it makes everyone who doesn't use them seem like a retarded cringey tryhard.

>every melee class in fantasy setting with guns
>I never liked using guns...not muh style

Where? You're discussing a genre that is completely stale. I love arpgs like any good player, but the solutions that would reinvigorate the genre lack developmental support. The same tired recommendations every thread.

PoE is great through the story. Mapping and Shaper/Elder shit is so lifeless as to be unremarkable. Titan Quest was somewhat fun, but it suffered from being shallow. Torchlight 2 was cool with mods, especially embermage-based classes in the class mod pack I used. It suffered from the itemization having potential that couldn't be realized because of how drop rates work. It was also too short.

Suck my dick, you dumb motherfucker, I type like this for clarity and I've been browsing this site for more than 10 years.

Attached: 1546982483904.jpg (1024x624, 51K)

Canada would like to see you try faggot.

Attached: 2aa0aca2c03e98b4a0deff4ef7d096d21136cd8db937a28b0eea76aa82444dc1.png (820x780, 96K)

>what's the point
Most guns before 1850 were very slow to reload and had poor aim,so melee weapons (swords,pikes,bayonets) were still widespread in warfare
In GD it is translated with one of the worst attack speeds,making them fast only with meme builds

it gives you storage space below your bed

Sure, if you shoot once then have to switch to a melee weapon I'm down with it. But that's not the case.

>every gun ever made is an AR-15

Well the game agrees with you.As I said,guns are only viable in late game meme builds,otherwise are useless because of their speed

My absolute favorite thing in this kind of game is to be a necromancer/dark arts guy. It's like my character is going saying about the antagonists 'they have the right idea about tactics, but are just fighting for the wrong reasons'. Also it's funny when you run around in town with an undead army and shit, but none of the villagers or anyone else reacts to it.

>hur dur we burned the white house
We can flatten you with just the USMC leaf

i just wish the skills had impact

What about a class system that borrows the idea from RO where you have a base class that branches until you reach a more specialized class? For example, you want to play a caster. Go basic caster (skill tree that takes you through burst, dot/control, or summon) and then progresses to a specialized higher-tier for each one of the lines.

Most ones do but,in GD's case the stats,skill combos and bonuses matter more than the skills themselves
Eg sustained skills are worth shit without the mana infusion skill or high energy regen

>Most ones do but,in GD's case the stats,skill combos and bonuses matter more than the skills themselves

my point is that skills lack the omph that diablo has . loved the game but that was my only gripe

There is a few that are pretty good, Nox comes to mind. Fun gameplay, world actually feels alive and is very interactive, spells are actually fun, the multiplayer was a blast.
Too bad Westwood ended up just another dead husk after being bought by EA

I cant blame you.If you dont learn to minmax the game is unplayable on harder difficulties

>canada, the faggiest country on earth

Yea Forums will never fucking accept that PoE is the most ambitious and deep ARPG in the market, AND the legitime spiritual successor of Diablo 2

keep seething nostalgia blinded faggots

Attached: The_Golden_Era_card_art.png (390x280, 222K)

a sequel or spiritual successor doesn't even need a new style of skill tree to be good

one thing that every game after D2 has consistently gotten wrong is item modifiers, they're either too shallow (Torchlight 1/2) or hideously bloated with 500 modifiers that just boil down into "100 trillion aoes when you click an enemy" (PoE, Median)

there's also the problem of difficulty levels directly nerfing the player character instead of making monsters more interesting to fight

there needs to be a new game where modifiers are plentiful but also unique, yet can't be stacked to ridiculous levels and also adds new concepts that weren't present in D2

It is, unfortunately it has been a clusterfuck for a long time now. They just keep piling on garbage mechanics and it's hurting the gameplay. They need to tone it the fuck down.

Attached: 1530706847706.jpg (1856x900, 306K)

I just don't see it when it comes to GD, it's so fucking boring. I've never been able to muscle past the 3rd or 4th act.

this issue is that diablo2 was new and exciting and the first time we'd ever seen that type a game(ignoring the far less popular diablo 1). the imitators may have made slight improvements here or there but they didn't change the formula enough in a dramatic positive direction for anyone to care.

agreed. way too many mechanics it feels like a second job trying to get on top of all of the different league mechanics

trading is straight awful imo

I miss old turbonerd kripp.

Arcanum

>tfw can't play Arcanum for the first time again

Grim Dawn's (and Titan Quest) combat feels way too shitty and floaty, especially compared to Diablo 2, ragdolls were a mistake.

Nah. They had some ridiculous bad balancing and broken skills on 1.0 release that should be noticeable immediately. (Mana shield on sorc being the worst offender).

How can it be beaten indeed, maybe these games should try to give the player CTS in the shortest amount of time possible.
Fuck Diablows, fuck Blizzard, fuck diablo clones and fuck A"""RPGS""" in general.

Attached: 1505104865647.jpg (1920x1090, 210K)

PoE is for people who want an ADHD infinite treadmill with no real end goal. It is also appeals to tradejews and screen-nuke speedfags. Not a bad game at it's core, but horribly bloated and mismanaged.

Diablo 3 is for people who either have never played Diablo 2 and thought "I should try Diablo" or consolefags that saw gameplay and wanted to relive playing a game like Gauntlet DL on the PS2/GC/Xbox. A mediocre game that's arguably a tad less bad (and even somewhat enjoyable) on consoles somehow.

Grim Dawn is for people who actually want to play a fucking videogame like Diablo 2, those who like experimenting with builds but don't feel the need to play "forever" ala PoE. Fantastic overall, zoomers who claim it's "boring" or "too slow" are either PoE false-flaggers or have hardly played the game past the first chapters.

Titan Quest is like Grim Dawn, but not quite as good, however having a nice unique setting. Good for those bored of GD but want more of the same. Pretty enjoyable, but has some jank that can lead to frustration.

Attached: 1561680322667.jpg (988x996, 360K)

Good post, user.

Attached: 1522619649712.jpg (700x524, 63K)

how can anyone be such a pleb

victor vran has dodge roll etc.
old poe before tencent was pretty good yeah.

honestly TQ is the best out of the ones you listed there

What about Torchlight 1/2?

I agree. But could you elaborate on what you meant on 'no real end goal' and how this isn't the same in d2. And POE being horribly optimized should be in there.

/thread fellow gdfag

1 was a classic in its own sort of way, pretty damn fun and those map dungeons or whatever it was were cool.
2 was...not, really. It's decent enough if you use overhauls but the mod scene isn't huge so choices are pretty limited.

I haven't played them to give my proper opinion on them. They look okay, if a little basic. Not a fan of the art style either.

There's a main campaign, but everything they add is related to making the loot grind longer. D2, while it still has a grind, is nowhere near as tedious and over-complicated as PoE gets. ARPGs are a bit grindy and about loot at heart, but PoE goes into MMO autism grind territory way beyond any singleplayer/co-op focused game should go.
This is an unpopular opinion, but I think "leagues" and the like in ARPGs are a negative addition rather than a positive one.

Mapping and trading are also things that are unappealing to me that make PoE start to feel more like a job than an enjoyable passtime.

Torchlight 2 is great. I skipped 1, so I can't say why some anons hate on it, but 2 is a good successor to Diablo 2. It's a little thinner on content, but it looks pretty good for its age (despite being 3D) if you don't mind its art style. It has a couple of decent mods (Synergies and Essentials). If you want Diablo 3 but without the active skill limit that ruins that sad game, it's a good option.

Grim Dawn is probably the best modern action RPG, but I'll openly admit to having skipped over Path of Exile. I like having access to everything available in-game, nothing sold piecemeal (stash tabs, cosmetics, etc.). I might pick it up one day, but I've got other ARPGs to scratch the itch, all with replayability.

>10 builds

>Beautiful aesthetics and sound design are too hard I'll just compete on mind numbing clickfest gameplay that's what REALLY drew people to the game.
That's why

Victor Vran actually had incredibly good combat. Building around crit was about building around sick ass combos. Certain attacks which when timed correctly forced a crit proc on the next attack, and certain other attacks when critting would reset their own cooldown or other attacks' cooldowns. Unique items were actually interesting in that they actually totally switched up a weapon's moveset.
The issue was that the variety of the content wasn't really there, you had attacks to do damage, and one or two special abilities which just did more damage but worked on a mana bar. So the game boils down to finding two weapon types you like and which go together and then finding some way to break the game, like building mana on crit and crit on other stuff until you create perpetual energy and are spamming out your mana limited ability as fast as you can press the button.

Why is the stat system so bad in D2? It's always enough Str Dex for equip and dump everything else into Vit.

Dungeon Siege 2 but new

Was better.

Attached: 1551520971692.gif (630x354, 3.58M)

PoE was great. Was.