Is Silent Hill still one of the best games ever made, or has it aged horribly?

Is Silent Hill still one of the best games ever made, or has it aged horribly?

Attached: Silent Hill.jpg (650x650, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bmVWM4WicSM
youtu.be/5oBeO-cui_c
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
youtu.be/fFVwI487ORo
github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/issues/6#issuecomment-402207990
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
pastebin.com/6B3qZs4S
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is Silent Hill still one of the best games ever made
yes
>or has it aged horribly?
no

fpbp

The ps1 textures and limited draw distance genuinely make it scarier.

I think it has aged pretty damn well actually. It's old graphics and the awkward dream-like style of the dialogue really lend well to its "cursed old game" feeling. It feels like the vidya equivalent of the videotape from The Ring, if you know what I mean.

I mean look at this gameplay:
youtube.com/watch?v=bmVWM4WicSM

Unironically one of the best games ever made. The series, 1-4, is one of the best gaming experiences, as well.

Still fun to play just looks kinda ugly like most 3D games of that era. A game that really deserves a remake. Too bad modern Konami sucks.

Also, the Silent Hill games look better in the original state than uprezzed through PC mods. The art direction made the best of the low res of the PS1 and PS2 to create this very soft painterly look. It's fucking great.

How the hell is Silent Hill fun to play. Everything is so slow paced, monsters are damage sponges, there is hardly any monster variety, controls are shit, you had to pause the game to see the map in the earlier titles, etc. It really is a chore to play.

completely true it is a master piece and it has the advantage where the target hardware and limitations worked perfectly with the artistic direction, like playing super mario world today, it stills manages to do what the creators wanted. Maybe can feel a bit tank controls but you forget the moment you start playing

Attached: i_came.jpg (400x400, 30K)

It's scary. Lots of great horror games are like you describe, but the thrill of being afraid makes them fun to play. If you want straight-up fun combat, go play an action game

Video games don't age it's the same game as it has always been, the concept of video games aging is retarded
That being said you should be playing it with perspective correction (PGXP/pete's plug-in) on retroarch (Beetle PSX HW) or PCSX-Reloaded, games look incredible

hmm who should I listen to?

oh but my user they do, go try to play the first 3 Alone in the Dark and come back to tell us how it felt

Attached: video-rocker-chair.jpg (650x498, 41K)

I love it and classic resident evil for those very reasons. Trying and succeeding to avoid taking damage from difficult enemies to safe resources feels rewarding. The scary mood is great too.

Play it on the original hardware for the intended experience; the atmosphere is unmatched. If you have to use an emulator, don't use settings or plug-ins that change anything. It completely changes the soul of the game.

The fact that you can't even recognize what the fuck these things are, is what make it even scarier.

Attached: Silent-Hill-ctrlzeta.png (585x342, 91K)

Me This plug-in i'm talking about doesn't do anything besides preventing the wobbly models and the distorted lines. Nostalgiafaggots will tell you that it's more creepy to play it in it's original state but it isn't, the shit zigzags and parkinsons on everything ruin the atmosphere, with the plug-in you get to really feel the loneliness and bizarre "peace" the game presents to you through it's atmosphere without distractions. Do not play it on the original hardware, trust me it will ruin your first impression of a masterpiece
youtu.be/5oBeO-cui_c
But they do not, the game remains the same as it has always been, your standards and tastes changes but the game don't

Actually getting your panties in a twist about people asking whether a game has aged is the dumbest shit. You know what the fuck they mean.

people get mad because "lol too old" is the poorest excuse.

It is still perhaps the greatest survival-horror game ever made. Period.

Let's fix this SH thread by re-posting the PC Guide and DL links :

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

>SH2 PC fixes site:
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
>tl;dr how to install this shit video tutorial + bare essentials pack:
youtu.be/fFVwI487ORo
>SH2 Audio Replacement:
github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/issues/6#issuecomment-402207990

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
DON'T use W10's own virtual disc app! Don't install under C:\Program Files\ !
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.

All the info & links you'll ever need:
pastebin.com/6B3qZs4S

Follow the SH2 widescreen fix site's instructions to the teeth, and you should be fine.
For 3 & 4, check the Guide.
Try the PGXP emulator for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

>Protips:
Play the games in release order, and don't play on Easy mode.
Multiple playthroughs per game is very recommended.
Lower the in-game Brightness, crank up volume.
Turning OFF flashlight helps a ton!

Attached: SH PC Guide MAY 2019 v2,3.png (1281x5183, 1.92M)

Attached: sh1 firstperson.webm (960x720, 2.78M)

It's still good if you get used to the tank controls. Use L1+R1 for 180 turns more and L2 to keep the camera where you want it to be. It's still my favorite SH game.

seeing this posted with updates is always so comfy to me for some reason

Attached: 35755.jpg (531x600, 71K)

Have you anons seen a little girl around here? I'm looking for my daughter.

>It's still good
So one day it will stop being good? How does this work?

there's a lot of ps1 games that have aged like milk
silent hill is not one of them

That does look a lot better, that wobbly shit always bothered me.

Yes, and yes.
Silent Hill 2 hasn't aged a day, though.

I know zoom zooms, and at least one angry boomer, who literally disagree.

Did anyone ever fix the fact that SH4 on this post doesn't play the ending when you finish it?

Never even heard of such issue.
You sure it's not just you? Windows 10?

It's more fun if you get really fucking drunk, play it on the hardest difficulty and run through the streets like you're trying to go for a touchdown.
Also jumpscares are trash.

It's fantastic. Every time I start a playthrough, I am driven to finish it all the way through.
It's definitely my favorite of the 3.

one of the bestest ps1 games to play .
in a top 5 along with pepsiman

>How the hell is Silent Hill fun to play.
"Fun" is kinda wrong word here.
It is however, very engaging and satisfying.

>slow paced
That is unironically one of its strong points. It is not an action game. Not a race to the finish sort of hurdle. It is a comfy horror-adventure.

>monsters are damage sponges
I see you are indeed trying to play the game like an action game. The fact that the enemies can take some beating should encourage you to avoid combat whenever possible. Though to be honest, they're easy to stun-lock and take down, especially w/ later weapons.

>hardly any monster variety
There's more variety than in all of SH2, which is still the big cult-hit around the globe. And once again, the enemies are not the main attraction here.

>had to pause the game in earlier titles
Earlier titles? I thought we were talking about SH1 alone here?
And how is the game pausing a bad thing? It gives you a well earned breather, and lets you sink in the information you require.

All in all, the classic SH games are extremely enjoyable to play, especially in this day and age where every other game is nothing but a hectic, cinematic circus with no time to soak in the atmosphere and designs. I have unironically played SH1 alone a good 40 or so times by now, and will probably keep doing annual replays until I die.

Attached: 1542695184073.jpg (1907x1790, 224K)

>>How the hell is Silent Hill fun to play. Everything is so slow paced,
>hasn't 10 star ran Silent Hill