Finish tutorial

>finish tutorial
>party member immediately attacked by a rabid squirrel
>night has already fallen by the time i notice
>in the time it takes me to figure out how to get her to fight back, she's already fatally wounded
>kills squirrel, trudges back to settlement and collapses in bed
>everyone else is already asleep
>set things up so the others will try to treat her in the morning
>she dies overnight
TL;DR the minute i exit tutorial mode someone fucking dies
is this par for the course for this game?

Attached: rimworld.jpg (1552x873, 253K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29043.0
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jaDxV8F7bcz4E9zeIRmZGKuaX7d0kvWWq28aKckISaY/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>playing DF for retards

the fuck is DF, is this some gamer lingo or something

I mean, for one thing you can wake up your dudes by toggling combat mode.
My medics rarely get enough sleep.

In these type of games you are expected to restart a few times until you learn the game and its pitfalls

/thread

Thanks for tip, i assume combat mode refers to drafting them?

Maybe some people think fantasy settings are for faggots

>playing Rimworld for autists

Yes

Yep. You can also set your dudes to self-tend if they are able to use the medical skill, but that's often a waste of precious meds if they suck at it.

It has its moments, but it's pretty shallow. Mods help.

Attached: 20190608151334_1.jpg (1920x1080, 250K)

>is this par for the course for this game?
yes
make sure you're playing randy random

>Mods help.
It takes about a hundred.

yes and its fun
once you figure out how to play its not so overwhelming
I mean youre probably playing normal and not even random randy or shaggy

also if theres a rabid animal, assemble everyone to attack it with ranged weapons /melee or hide if its really op
1v1ing animals is a bad idea which is why hunting is always ranged weapons

stop people from bleeding to death asap and self-med if its far
give me like 10 minutes and ill start up my game and give you my mod list

Attached: 1000yardstare.png (1920x1368, 3.52M)

Yes but it's worth sticking with it for the human leather outfits.

Yes, but Losing Is Part of The Fun™.
Dick around with the game for a few hours then check a guide on how a base is more efficially built, and what is there to do as endgame goals. IMO the game is absolutely worth it and even when you get burned out there's about 6 fuckzillion mods, small and game-changing, to keep things fresh.
I do recommend downloading Prepare Carefully right out of the gate, though. It allows you to create your dudes instead of re-rolling forever to scam the game into giving you the traits/stats you want anyways.

This is a nuclear fallout vault im working on building

Attached: rimworldvault.jpg (3284x2000, 839K)

You can set people to fight back instead of attempting to flee in situations like those.

How feasable is it to continue into the lategame without setting up a killbox?
I like the aesthetic of having my base surrounded by scattered turrets and sandbags but it just ends up as a massive material sink when a third of them get destroyed with every raid.

I wouldn't suggest it

a mod option is to do what i did with the vault in and build indestructable walls.
But then you are still vulnerable to catapult fire and people pod dropping into your base through the roof.
Im just in a sort of building stage right now where Im going to build a nuclear reactor at the front entrance and then destroy it and have the front be filled with radiation and trap everyone inside.
Once im finished building i'll open the base to the world and let all hell break loose trying to keep the vault people alive trapped inside with all the current people becoming elders with dementia, as their kids struggle to keep the vault running.

Fuck, i played this shit out this game for a while. Stopped playing because the devs completely fucked the lategame. All you can do is build the rocket and gtfo. There should have been a more dynamic world and the ability to make an empire that actually means something. If it had the freedom that DF had, it'd be no contest, DF would be dead and deprecated.

play spore get to cities
switch to rimworld get to space
play alpha centauri
?????
profit

That's just life on the rim
>so yes

That's my problem with the game, too. The game is designed to let you play for a really long time. Finding resources becomes harder and way more tedious and the colony limit is complete bullshit.

here's what the nuclear reactors look like currently

Attached: rimworldvault2.jpg (3013x1696, 2.27M)

how?

theres an icon with a medkit sign on their character page
at least i think so unless its a mod thing and i dont remember where the option is by default

ok thanks mate

I was like you once. Then I gave it an honest shot and it’s much better than DF. More challenging and the UI isn’t shit.

Isnt the mod literally called medkit? Unless it was already integrated into the game.

Sorry its rimkit made by dubwise on the rimworld forums.
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29043.0

It's true, it has some serious skyrim syndrome. but once it gets there is pretty good.

Stands for Dwarf Fortress. its a clone of Rimworld but its graphics are made of lines and stuff and its hard to look at. literally no appeal.
Maybe to boomers?

Heres a list of all of my mods and what order they are in and a good place to start.
I do get some errors in my modlist but it seems fairly stable and you cant always avoid errors.
Id honestly do a playthrough as normal and then try mods.
mod order is important
>hugslib
>jecstools
>mod manager
are the main mod scripting mods that most of the other mods pull from

humanoid alien races 2.0 is the main mod that allows you to use other race mods in the game

if you wanted some basic QoL mods for vanilla, id suggest
>complex jobs
>interaction bubbles
>search and destroy
>run and gun
>blueprints
>more trait slots
>increased stack
>where is my weapon
>miniaturization
>share the load
>camera+
>colorful traits
>damage indicators
>dubs mini minimap
>defensive positions
>rain washes away filth
>relations tab
>replace stuff
>the vegetable garden mods
>rimhud
and maybe rimjobworld if you want to turn all the weird rape shit off and keep it for like birthing children and other such features

Most of them would work in Zetrith's Multiplayer mod except for maybe like 30-40 of them, but it would be a good list to start from if you wanted to look into doing that and you could just cross reference the list.
Ive never really tried multiplayer other than vanilla.

I used only stable mods from the list for the most part.

Here's Zetrith's mega list of other mods that he tested with his mod.
Its also a good reference to find stable mods.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jaDxV8F7bcz4E9zeIRmZGKuaX7d0kvWWq28aKckISaY/edit#gid=0

hope that helps user

Attached: rimworldmods.jpg (3014x3289, 1.85M)

post your survival compound

Attached: ah.jpg (1920x1080, 520K)

Attached: RimworldBase2.jpg (3306x2020, 2.68M)

There's no non-bullshit way to survive a game that's run long enough. Your choices are to build killboxes to exploit enemy behavior, savescum aggressively, lower the difficulty, or install mods to mitigate the worst offenders - whatever you might find those to be. You can pick which flavor of cheese you put on your late game, but you're going to be cheesing something to survive.

Otherwise you have to accept that the combat system just can't keep up with the level of hostility coming your way. Sooner or later you will get large waves of bullet sponges and that will be that.

Personally I'm a little more inclined to build the ship than some Anons. I use mods to make it more of a New Game+ so I don't have to feel like I'm just bailing on an entire settlement. There's a sense of continuity to each colony.

I played both, Rimworld would be good if it wasn't based around managing only a handful people, if it had z levels and if it didn't have events you can't avoid like solar flares etc.
I don't care about UI cause I'm not a zoomer.

You can disable events in the scenario settings, and mods let you run with a good amount of settlers.
It won't ever be the scale of DF though, and it does badly need Z levels.

So much of that is retarded I don't even know where to start.

>survival
About that....mistakes were made.

Attached: 20190621014501_1.jpg (1920x1080, 581K)

>he built the base underground
why have you done this

I'd say the beauty and strength of smoothed stone, but he doesn't appear to have used it to great effect, so fuck knows.

at least your donut touch OC gril survived

I actually hate how infestation completely rules out underground bases in certain climates. You can "deal" with it late game with enough resources, but it's just not possible early game unless you drop into some icy shithole.

the 2fps turrets

It is a bummer, all my best chokepoints were made in underground bases, but those pricks completely bypass it.

>No bait room
At least you didn't try to exploit the spawn system, but that leads to being massacred for having a mountain base.

How exactly does the bait room work?

Attached: 1560113284743.png (579x585, 403K)

I prefer Starbound

Hmm na, SimCity is the better Rimworld clone

It's really just a large room; generally larger than any of your main rooms. As long as you prevent the ceiling from collapsing, infestations have a bias towards the largest room.

Are underground infestations still complete aids?

Attached: burn_them_all.png (1378x929, 2.71M)

Watch some competent LP on YouTube to get the hang of how things work and what are your options. I'd recommend Pete Complete's ice sheet series. The only Rimworld LP I could watch without getting bored out of my mind.

Too bad that's the only reliable way to deal with these fucks. That insect meat is such a great fodder for making kibble without cutting into the edible meat supply.

>launches DF
oh god oh fuck
>starts world generation
my dick so hard
>starts building underground
I'm so fucking smart
>everything gets destroyed by overpowered enemy
IQ = 3000

what are some other good basebuilding games besides rimworld? i want to build

Minecraft

There's a lot of games with basebuilding, but very few that are any good at all, and most of the good ones are more like city management rather than survival.

The Warhammer 40K mod changes everything to max FUN! Especially if you play as Necrons or Orkz

Rise to Ruins

7days to die and rust is fun sometimes depends on how much they fuck it up.

arma 2 epoch or arma 3 epoch maybe

The dev's an annoying basic fuck, but he'll at least acknowledge some direct interactions on his website and Twitter.

I hope he does more with magic and/or religion after the fishing/hunting and hygiene updates. Or was trash supposed to be hygiene? Regardless, charmable necromancer enemies please.

Craft the World is fun if you get around the initial presentation. Don't look up too much; just play and experience it.

KeeperRL

Yes and that's only the tip of the iceberg for what the game can throw at you.
Just keep in mind that none of your colonists are essential to the game.

> Approx 20-30 min startup

Attached: 8e4e19c1-be61-434d-a613-a0b18753938f.jpg (540x551, 43K)

well it is like 200+ mods good luck finding out which one is lagging it

Back when I played dwarf fortress I always had the impression that things were too easy

you get to ~70 dwarves, get a decent military going no problems (aside from maybe cave spiders), ballistae and not much can touch you. There are mega beasts but you get to a point where you can just cave yourself in and your fortress is completely autonomous. Sometimes these mega beasts are made of shit like ash and are incredibly easy to kill, other times you'll need to hatch a plan to stop them but that's rare. Outside of the 'typical' zones things are harder but either it's impossible to settle there or you'll get a fully autonomous fortress eventually. Then there's "new" stupid shit like vampires where you basically play 'where's waldo' in your 300 dwarf fortress at 2 fps

War hammers for easy mode

>I spend more time playing something like Rimworld, Starsector, Terraria than AAA

cause AAA all suck and are just logos with no soul with lootboxes and half the time have some political agenda anti-white bullshit attached for no reason

>is this par for the course?
Theres no forced unavoidable deaths in this game. However you will probably see a lot of deaths as circumstance is rather unforgiving.

For example, if a pawn gets an infection and a sickness at the same time, hes basically out of the game until fully healed. If he was detrimental to your colony, youre fucked unless you have a shit load of drugs to pump him full to do his last bidding before the drugs and work kill him.

>imagine being sub 80 iq
yeesh

First colony ever, how bad is it

How impossible is merciless in this?

Looking good.

It has some problems

Flawless. Must be a DF vet.

Pic related: my disaster.

I'd play it if it didn't look like an ugly flash game. Fuck soulless graphics

At least you have RJW like a true patrician.

>game has never ever went below 29 dollars

lol

Attached: rimworldd.jpg (5500x5500, 2.88M)

>buying games

Honestly, it looks good. There are several dozen things that you are doing wildly optimised, but the game is at its most enjoyable when you're doing it your own way, when you don't have all the blueprints and "right" ways of doing things.

Feel it out for yourself for maximum enjoyment.

if you can't afford that just pirate it??

my only problem with this game is that half of the tech feels pointless (unless you're larping caveman stuff), I always finish researching guns and shit before your dudes manage to make a single bow

> wildly optimised
You mean unoptimised?
Honestly I can't wait to finish this campaign and build another base. There's so many things I did wrong in this one that just annoy me. Like my colonists always have a "ate without table debuff" because I built the dining room too far away from the kitchen. I didn't know about geothermal power so I didn't plan around the geyser and now it looks wrong, stuff like that.

>set things up so the others will try to treat her in the morning
>she dies overnight
Why in the fuck didn't you just wake them up and have them treat her IMMEDIATELY?

Played DF first, then RW. RW is literally the better game. DF has insane amounts of pointess details that add nothing and have no impact on the gameplay. RW has actual game design.

My main intrest in rimworld over DF is getting attached to individuals. In rimworld most of your game time is gonna be between 3-6 colonists while in DF your fort is going to quickly get to over 50. Both have advantages but sometimes I just wanna chill with a few dudes and get invested in their story.

Attached: rimworld.jpg (1998x1290, 593K)

How do caravans work in this? I'm too scared the form them most of the time in case I lose colonists. If you get ambushed on the road, will you have to fight as many enemies as in a normal raid? I also seem to need way more food than the game tells me I should

It does exactly what it says on the tin. It's doable, but it's not remotely fair or balanced.

Some people play with limited tech, yeah.

What difficulty do experienced players use?

>set point on your main map to meet up
>caravan gets supplies
>complex jobs mod (tell them to load caravan) tends to get stuck so this mod helps quite a lot
>once caravan is packed it heads out

>food isnt refrigerated
>research pemmican etc
>some of the animals cant graze and eat your food stuffs
>you can setup a temp base if you need to and stop and gather more food

>>you can setup a temp base if you need to and stop and gather more food
Does that mean hunting?

>fallout vault
>not built in a cave
You had one job.
One.

Attached: 6887121.jpg (250x235, 13K)

its more a test of concept right now but that is a good point. like i didnt know how any of the nuclear stuff worked or how to space it

Fair enough.
Now start over and do it right.

Dwarf Fortress is completely lacking as a game.

Dwarf Fortress isn't a game, it's an autism simulator.

It means generating a second map with all the same resources you'd expect to find in that biome, including trees, metal, components and yes animals to hunt. You can abandon the new settlement when you're ready to move on or just establish a new colony and try to keep both running and exchanging resources.

It has more than enough options to be played like a game but the thing is the developer doesn't care about making a fun game, it's not the focus at all. Instead of adding more shit the core systems should all be refined and balanced and quality of life features should be implemented.

No one but autists care to use all the systems and items when only 10% is needed to make a very strong fortress.

you made a big mistake coming here boy

Attached: sucked off by chinchilla.jpg (1920x1080, 599K)

no shit. if theres a AAA game with half the content/replayability of these games then shit someone tell me.

Rough is probably the most popular. It leaves enough breathing room to play things your way, while giving enough resistance to keep it interesting.

Merciless is for when you feel like having scythers crash through the roof and cut the arms off your best fighter before you have a chance to react. It's not for everyone, even people who know the game well.

Is there a problem with that ?

Attached: download (1).jpg (255x197, 6K)

I usually always play randy rough. If I want to stress test my defenses i'll go savage

Looks like a thoughtlessly created garbage mod where nothing makes sense.

AAA games are garbage.

bump so I can post a long post

>Start as tribal
>Get pretty far
>Have a fat fuck doctor that can't do anything else but shove herbs down peoples throats
>Harvest smokeleaf for those easy moral gains
>He becomes addicted on his first joint
>No longer does anything, just makes meals, smokes, watches TV and eats all my food
DUDE

Attached: 337.jpg (1040x477, 110K)

>tfw I burn all drugs and alcohol whenever any get into my colon

Attached: 1562133669632.jpg (1125x1107, 125K)

I feel like this, much like the vast majority of other colony survival games, is a "deal with annoying boilerplate shit" simulator.
>kill and butcher an elephant sized creature
>it creates enough food for 1 day AKA 5 minutes of game time
>colonist who is lucky to be alive after crashing on a hostile planet with almost no resources has a slightly dusty room with no fancy decorations and was caught in the rain today
>goes on a killing spree
>colonist without weapons is attacked by a squirrel
>somehow grievously injured
>kill an entire raiding party
>another one arrives two days after like nothing happened
It's just a lot of minutiae and repetitive tasks, over and over again.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with downing some brew and smoking some herb if you just finished making it through my min max sadistic gauntlet of slave labor and organ harvesting as long as you DON'T JUST SIT THERE AND WATCH TELETUBBIES SMOKING A JOINT WHILE MY CHIEF RESEARCHER AND CRAFTER DIES OF SPACE AIDS AND A BULLET TO THE GULLET. FUCK YOU FAT MAN.

>Colonist proposes
>gets a yes
>later the same day breaks it off
>now in a murderous rage
>final straw ate without table

>never cared for tribal stuff, just for curiosity set up a crafting spot
>discover psychite pekoe and read up on what it does
>holy shit, massive buffs for just basically no risk of addiction
>increase psychoid leaf farms, everyone drinks their mandatory morning pekoe, make a buck selling the surplus on routine caravans
>long time passes, get a notification that one of them is now addicted
>no biggie, buddy, I have as much as you need and you can just power through abstinence later
>what's this? Moderate kidney damage?... I wasn't this but I guess someone can donate
>they all have light to moderate kidney damage
>half of the others got addicted soon after
The actual lesson here is keep a w>>
ell stocked medical room next to your prison quarters.

>>now in a murderous rage
Get some lovin'.

>its a clone of Rimworld
You got that backwards buddy.

Also space out drug usage. Any drug can cause damage to the body if taken too much. Space it out so they take it every other day or even every three days or so and you'll be OK because as you learned once you the organ damage is apparent you can't go back.

I grabbed the game
>Randy releases 1.0
>abandons the game
th-thanks
Got a bunch of mods
>cult mod
>pawn goes to investigate monolith automatically and then writes grimoire
>major sanity loss, has +45% mental break threshold
>goes into murderous rage and kills one of the colonists while still near the start of the game
I don't like this mod anymore
>make pawn go mad so that he regains some sanity
>runs away from the map and never comes back

Attached: 1538626435746.png (190x1046, 57K)

It was cheaper back in early development.

bro just restrict the area around the monolith

You can use the mod settings in options to stop pawns from interacting with the spoopy tree unless you tell them to

>insert myself and fiancee with Prepare Carefully
>give appropriate personalities and looks to each of them
>start the game with an extra random pawn for balance
>almost immediately get "user and Fiancee broke up"
>before the end of day 2 get "Fiancee and Rando are now lovers"
>kill Rando, quit without saving

Attached: cnat.jpg (252x142, 17K)

>install sex mods
>make giant prison complex with TVs, ac, and king sized beds in each cell.
>every time colony gets raided use custom mod concussion cannons to knock all raiders unconscious
>imprison all of them
>females under 30 get put in luxurious prison unless they peg vaginas or something stupid
>all other prisoners get put in 1x2 cells and are used for breeding animals
>female prisoners are treated as sex slave and constantly kept under custom modded mood enhancers which keep always keep them happy, addicted, and removes negative moods and traits.
>prisoners who act up get their organs harvested each time they do until they can no longer function
>clone female prisoners with good body parts like big breast and tight vaginas
>harvest them and graft them onto sex slave prisoners
>every other faction constantly mad that I'm doing this
>they send raids
>knock raiders unconscious and repeat the cycle
>get bored and nuke colony

Its an ok game wish there was more to it.

It's called startup impact, fuckass.
How does it even take that long with the new load time improvements anyways?

The God of vidya sent you a warning in his roundabout way. Better stay on your guard.

>your not playing some text-based DOS game
>hahaha your shit

It'll happen for real, soon enough. Keep an eye out, fren. Rando is coming, in more ways than one.

Attached: 1564476611645.jpg (700x557, 41K)