Did games lose something by moving away from fixed cameras?

Did games lose something by moving away from fixed cameras?

Attached: camera.jpg (1900x1000, 422K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NNv17T02WlY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They lost soul

There is nothing preventing you from making a fixed camera game today.

There is nothing preventing devs from making good games today, yet for some reason they refuse to do so

>OLD GOOD
>NEW BAD
Kys, OP

company suits are there for that

yes they lost a fixed camera

Am I missing the definitions of fixed camera and free camera, or is OP retarded as usual

Get checked for brainletism

Unfixed camera means you have to do more essentially whereas a fixed camera is obviously fixed on only what the developer wants. It's the difference between painting on a single canvas and painting a mural on all the walls in a room. It isn't impossible to look good but it takes more time/dedication/money/etc.

MGS3 was improved by the free camera over the fixed one.

GoldSrc had tech to make the wall textures randomised

Nice self own

It's a gameplay topic, not visual. If you want pretty pictures you can look at an animated movie. Videogames are for having fun, and free view is often optimal.
That said, I don't mind fixed views.

>If you want pretty pictures you can look at an animated movie.
Brainlet tier argument when games have been steadily sacrificing gameplay for visuals for the last decade and a half

*can't see anything south of myself*

Attached: camera.jpg (860x494, 156K)

Based

Attached: 1547444110676.jpg (800x600, 116K)

No. It's entirely genre dependent. Since the most popular genres wouldn't work with fixed cameras there's no sense in having them.

What camera to use entirely depends on the game. They all have pros and cons.
If you for some reason think that fixed cameras are superior then you're just stupid.

I think it's fascinating how looking at your character's back or not seeing them at all in first person has become so standard we don't even notice it, yet there are games making hundreds of millions of dollars selling skins you'll barely ever see or only ever see from the back while playing

Attached: 5830703.jpg (408x286, 26K)

Some games have a key that you can hold and view yourself VTMB had this was able to take some nice pics

Why are you comparing two 2d games with three 3d games when talking about camera?
How the fuck would free camera work in 2d environment?

Cringy cherry pick picture made by a faggot

OP is a freedom-hating faggot. Disregard this thread.

If your logic is that "the less control you give to the player, the more finely tuned experiences can be", you are effectively arguing for video games to become movies.

Triggered zoomers, cringe yikes dilate cope

Yeah, OP is wrong and here's why
youtu.be/NNv17T02WlY

Come on mate, that's all? You could've put wojack in there too

Isn't the consensus that they're already movies? The only non-Nintendo games this gen have all been called moviegames, if it's already happening why not do it in a way that's aesthetically pleasing

>It’s another “Let me cherrypick beautiful screenshots and ugly screenshots” episode

>Isn't the consensus that they're already movies?
Correct, and as you can see, everyone is furious about that. Well, enthusiasts are.

>fixed camera games look beautiful 90% of the time
>free camera games look bad 90% of the time
It is in fact the opposite of cherrypicking

>Source: trust me dude

They are?
Sorry I'm not playing what AAA publishers regurgitate every year or two so I wouldn't know.
Your problem if you're searching for anything other than trash in a sewer.

More like 0% of the time sweety

Attached: 16F92E32-378B-4F5F-A01B-B751B5EE2DC3.jpg (400x350, 35K)

caring about looks over gameplay/story
>zoomer spotted

>Fixed game makes it confusing and hard to see where the enemy is
>Free camera gives you more control over your character
Reminder that graphics have ruined gaming

Nigger why do you think good looking clothing sells?
You don't buy a good shirt so you can stand in front of a mirror all day you doofus.

It's fucking 2d vs 3d you fucking mongoloid, of course 3d takes a fuckton of more work then some 2d or 3d on rails garbage.

3D games can have fixed cameras you mega retard

I'll fix your camera!

Attached: PepePunch.png (326x314, 103K)

Looks like you have no idea who games are made, retard.

>2019
>still looks south

Attached: kek.jpg (1840x2050, 102K)

The point of real life isn't killing everyone as fast as possible, and if it was clothes wouldn't matter

Why would you need to? There's nothing there, the game was designed around the camera you see.

Typical jaded boomer bullshit. Uses JRPGs as an example of how great gameplay used to be while ignoring the ridiculously high volume of amazing games coming out every year, from a renaissance of WRPGs, to the extremely gameplay focused Souls and Souls-like games, to kickstarter funded continuations of the classics you fetishize so much. Retards like you zone in on AAA trash like Assassin's Creed and pretend it's a representation of gaming currently while deliberately ignoring that there are more games for everyone's taste currently than any other time in history, and if you tries to play every great independant, cult, or studio funded game that came out you'd be dead from old age long before you finished. But no, sit around playing muh Chrono Cross while crying that games are too cinematic.

No, its because there's so many games that you cant really come up with something original.
Back then the game industry was spawning different themes, genres, artsyles, etc. Everything felt more experimental with a much bigger margin for something new.
Now because the industry is too big devs just pick a genre, theme, artyle and make something folowing those guidelines.

>deliberately ignoring that there are more games for everyone's taste currently than any other time in history
This is objectively incorrect and shows that you either weren't alive or weren't old enough to play games in 1995 to 2005, the actual vidya Renaissance. The amount of entire genres that are outright dead nowadays invalidates your point even without going into the nuances such as the sheer amount of choice and diversity within each genre available back then. Nowadays a genre is considered alive and well if it had one game release in the last five years.

This is one of the best posts I have seen in this shithole in a long time.
Good job user.

Attached: 1558996340837.jpg (2589x1869, 649K)

>I have free rein to look at whatever I want, but I choose to look at a wall.
Well, you tried.

shut up retard

By having a fixed camera you have to create less art so you can make the art you do make better
You can also control how that art is seen
So there is something to be gained from fixed camera

That works in theory, but wouldn't you want to let people approach your art from the perspective they choose?

Only non-artists would answer yes, alternate angles are to art, what bugs are to videogames. You simply cannot account for every retard, someone who chose to focus on the repeating wall pattern will call your game ugly while ignoring all the vistas you poured your soul into.

What a fuckin misinformed zoomer faggot see

All those games are still around you fucking idiot.

Name 1 (one) dead genre.

Arcade racing

while i agree there's still plenty of good games coming out now, wrp"g"s, reddit souls and indieshit kickstarter scams are not among them.

>Forza Horizon
>The Crew
>Need For Speed
>Gran Turismo Sport
What else do you need, they're fucking racing games

sure, if you want your games to be more cinematic
fixed camera lets the devs decide what you see like in a movie, free camera is too gamey

But resident evil was made worse by it.
Different games call for different designs

Nah. REmake would've been worse with a RE4 style camera.

Attached: remake.jpg (1192x670, 97K)

It depends on the game
I think you should reread the post you responded to

You're going to extremes. Games only need one portion to be interactive to be a game. Fightan is probably the most "gamey" genre out there, and they have a fixed camera.

I can't read ignore me.

In real life you can feel the materials and quality