Why do people "collect" physical video games anymore...

Why do people "collect" physical video games anymore? Don't these people realize how much their "investment" will lose money?

Attached: 1519692602625.jpg (3024x3024, 846K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdrom2go.com/knowledgebase-blu-ray-cases
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I try complete any console game I buy fast enough to sell it to some sperg who pays 40 quid for it used on ebay

They want to actually own the game not be beholden to some digital mishap

>renting digital games for $59.99 plus tax & tip

Attached: 1484436965282.png (356x297, 42K)

Doesn't bother me as much as guys wearing over sized jeans

Cringe and bluepilled.

do Americans really tip the filth that work at gayme stores?

post the screencap

Good point, he got jeans like 4 inches too long for him.

>digital mishap
Explain yourself

Attached: john-video-game-house-fire-447x600.jpg.optimal[1].jpg (447x600, 82K)

Only Playstation and Xbox games are worthless.

this

Cause then shit like the mii shop happens

fucking manlet

Why are snoytards like this?

Attached: 1536333574214.jpg (1024x768, 186K)

>modern fiction novels
>no Holy Bible
>no non-fiction about society, culture, art, etc.
Extremely cringe and bluepilled

Attached: 1485024253072edit.jpg (951x636, 221K)

>When you're such a retardedly loyal fanboy you'd rather spend money on useless Snoy-licensed trinkets instead of buying 'rival' consoles and games

Attached: 1540680681591.jpg (1125x629, 112K)

why are nin-toddlers like this?

Attached: H2x1_Amiibo_main_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 369K)

It may increase its value once these games get old and few or they may not. At least the owner of a physical copy may resell his games on his leisure or sit on it a few years more to up its value. You can't do that to digital games.

I've always wondered where the stuff from these expos went. I wonder if those inflatables got used once and then were thrown into a warehouse to rot, or if someone actually has them and takes care of them

Attached: 1477178110575.jpg (1844x1240, 360K)

God I hate this image. The weight most certainly crushed the boxes on the bottom.

If it ain't on a Sony it ain't worth playing, we only roll with the best

My biggest issue with physical games is how much space it all takes up. Especially retro games. All those shelves and shit look so ugly unless you have a designated room for it.

There really isnt a point with new games considering how much they are patched to fix bugs or even the game itself (FFXV isn't even recognizable to what I played at launch).

I can see the appeal to owning physical copies of older games you like though, since they are pop in and play.

>Investment
I'm not selling any of my games though.

>playing Jshit

Attached: 1346192925201.jpg (561x581, 99K)

For anyone who wants to know, a ps4 case is 14mm thick, and hes standing next to 120 cases
>14mm × 120 = 1680mm
>1680mm = 66.1 inches = 5 foot 5 inches

autism

but Yea Forums said that ps4 has no gaems?

You forgot to account for the space between the cases.

Reminder he enjoys videogames as a medium more than you jaded losers do.

Attached: call.jpg (1209x756, 192K)

>pretending you "own" games in any digital library
>pretending you "own" games in an increasingly "games-as-a-service" age where access to your games is under complete control by a third party entity (Steam, Origin, Epic, etc)

Even physical games have always merely been tangible, bought licenses to play said game, but at least they are physical media you "own".

With most digital games, your license now can be flipped like a switch. Say the wrong thing online, piss off the wrong person, and "your" game you paid for is gone.

Attached: 801.jpg (640x432, 30K)

it's all about the emotional connection to your collection. same reason why many people buy the Gamer Girl Bath Water from Belle Delphine because it makes you feel good to own it. You dont necessarily need it but it gives you a sense of pride to own such an exclusive item. Same with rare retro games.

Attached: a-picture-of-belle-delphine-as-an-officer-posted-o.png (831x1042, 1.54M)

This is why you hack your console and keep patches on a backup drive to install later.

My entire PS3 library has 8x16GB USB drives with patches and DLC for every game. Since I ave CFW, all i have to do is install the pkg files when I first play.

I even have version controls for games that removed content in later patches so I can skip those.

Buy physical to either have a tangible, concrete, solid, material form of your hobby or to reward the creators of that product. Any other reasons (collecting, keeping for future resale value, mancave fodder etc etc) are autism in its purest form.

Bloodborne digital: $19.99
Bloodborne physical: $8.99

This is me. I'm too fat and manlet to wear average jeans so I look like a bellend regardless.

GoTY PAL version (including Old Hunters on-disc) is $29 new and sealed.

>Yea Forums says collecting is stupid and you lose money
>my ps4 gravity rush is getting pricier
feelsgoodman

Cases are actually 13mm thick, so adding 1mm per case is already generous, especially since the ones at the bottom will have been crushed slightly
>cdrom2go.com/knowledgebase-blu-ray-cases

>pop culture "geek" shit like star wars, harry potter and marvel shit

Is there anything more soulless? I like those things too but I wouldn't get any of the merch. It rubs me the wrong way when people have merch displayed from these popular things, I don't know why. I think it's cause there's nothing personal about them, that's what makes it so soulless, they are far too popular to be personal,

There's nothing interesting about someone who likes a really popular thing that most people like. It's empty, it adds nothing to you, it's just soulless

I don't get why people pay so much for special editions etc but play everything on such a pleb screen.

no

Why would he put non-fiction with fiction and how would some shitty Euro-butchered version of a 2000 year old religion text be good or helpful?

>Don't these people realize how much their "investment" will lose money?

Are you retarded?

>Mfw you will never own the first and most special edition of gamer girl bath water

Attached: 7r6hwixupt511.jpg (633x758, 31K)

It still has better value than your Steam library.

>Bro, you wanna come watch the 123rd entry in the MCU™ with me?
Cinema is dead and video games is next.

Attached: 1526016736984.jpg (1000x1636, 321K)

the new star wars movies are the absolute peak of soulless

You know, the whole "We can take away your games for whatever rules we want" deal. Not even just shouting "nigger", it could be any rule that they make.
>Oh we made a rule to our terms of service, which we are not liable to tell you about
>this new rule states that your name cannot have "nig" in it
>any words like night, knight, etc instantly banned forever
Obviously an exaggeration but the slippery slope is real.

Does insurance cover this?

>Disney
Hmm, it's almost like consolidation through taxes works imperceptibly over time.

Attached: 1434941344281.jpg (317x432, 24K)

>The niggery slope

These franchises are creatively bankrupt and rely on pandering to specific political groups.

thay can re-sell them for 100 of dolars unlike you digital faggot

Attached: 76.jpg (400x300, 31K)

Yeah renters insurance

>collecting is a investment
Just because something is better than what they do on /biz/ it doesn't mean is a investment

>buy 200 physical copies
>maybe 2 or 3 of them will appreciate in value
>Whoa, I can resell these for not a profit!
>BLOWN OUT digital fags!

Add another reddit nazi frog poster to the fitler

Wow, look at that. A whole 5 feet and 3 inches of videogames.

I'm actually left lolbertarian, but okay.

I used to until I was about 23 or 24. But it hit me then that I was wasting so much money buying all these games. Now a days at 29 I only buy/play maybe 4 or 5 games a year.

He bought Battleborn. True collector.

Careful with those crimson pills... I dont want to lose you bro...

Yes. If they break the rules and don't try to sign us into a lifetime of credit debt, we clap.

I'm all pro digital purchases and I fucking hate consoles with a passion, BUT I do understand why plebs want physical copies of their games. I get it. I don't have a problem with it. I hope they continue to print physical copies, but I don't think they will.

Why do retards treat it like an investment? I like video games, so naturally I would procure a collection of them. I don't plan on reselling them so why should I give a fuck about the market value of my games aside from insurance reasons?

Actually, you lose more money if you buy digital only.

>bought Persona 3 Portable when it was around $20 on sale years ago
>now it goes around $100+ for the umd

>Just started expanding my PS1 collection

Poorfags and PC.ucks will never experience this.

Attached: 02BCA8DD-9F82-4210-8509-18398D9B6B9B.jpg (400x300, 59K)

Because companies wont support these systems 10 - 20 years from now
Also take a look at GTAIV, anybody with a digital copy had the game automatically update to fucking remove iconic songs

Why does he have so many PC and PS3 games for his PS4?
And why does he have 11 fucking controllers for it?

PS1 games had such a great aesthetic in and out of game.

>Thinking it's an investment
>Watching to beholden to a DRM program that can take away your games on a whim
>Not knowing the joy of being able to hold your game and having something that's tangible.

Attached: 1555032439149.jpg (3232x2804, 3.62M)

90=95% of games people own will be worth jack shit in the future. You have to basically aim for odd releases:

>Limited releases
>Late in console life releases
>Factory defects like typos on the packaging

Shit like that. Even then, it'll take at least 20 years before the market starts to flip for the current consoles. Just look at the Genesis and Saturn right now. Importing Saturn games from Japan used to be pretty cost effective because no one gave a shit about the Saturn. Now the jig is up and Saturn games are expensive. A better example:

>Mega Man 8 Saturn: launched $64.99.
>Fell to about $20 in the early to mid 2000s
>Currently worth at least $200.

Dreamcast is beginning to get the same effect too. Is this a viable investment? Not really. Super niche market. Ultimately, just buy shit you like, but never consider physical games an investment source. If you're going to be a finance monkey, study up on playing the market.

In Canada waiting for physical games to get lower in price is objectively faster than waiting for their digital counterparts to go down in price. It's fucked up.

And why are they out of the box? I can understand saving some when yours wear out (just bought a new first party PS2 controller and 360) but not opening them until you need it.

>"We can take away your games for whatever rules we want"
Cool meme

can sometimes get better prices if you buy used
can lend/borrow/trade games
there's a certain peace of mind that comes from having something that will work 100% offline
for very large collections, there's no need to worry about digital storage space, if you have the disc, you can play the game
some people like having a collection of physical objects to look at

personally I don't own a single physical game anymore (for older console games I just pirate the ROMs and play in an emulator) but I can see the appeal

This

Attached: 2ACB6A2F-4281-4700-ADE9-43B84E5199DD.jpg (342x342, 31K)

My NES, SNES, Saturn, Gamecube, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, and PS4 games have all retained their value if not increased, save the occasional shovelware game I got in a Christmas stocking. You know what hasn't retained value? The fucking steam games sitting in my library doing nothing

They already do this though
>no more online for you in this online multiplayer only game
Thanks Blizzard. No, I don't play Overwatch but people complain about this shit all the time.

>used to buy PS2 games as a kid
>play it for hours the night i got it
>when i had to go to bed, I would put the disc back in the case and take it to my room
>put case next to bed on a table
>picked it up the next day as soon as i woke up to play it again

It's such a wonderful mix of Americanized jank and things with actual style. I love it. Reminds me of the DW1 box for the NES

Attached: 220px-Dragon_Warrior.jpg (220x320, 33K)

>buy physical
>it's just a download code or the disk is just a DRM check for the required 100gb ""patch"" you need to download
>DOOD GOBBA BY FISUHCAL
Trust me I would if it was worth it anymore.

Attached: 1498994113456.jpg (217x222, 34K)

Homeowners insurance does, but if you want any money, you better have an autistic list featuring proper devaluation. Even then, those con-artists will try to avoid paying a cent. Always check your policy to see if your name and home address are correct. They will intentionally misspell your name, while trying to keep all payments you've made.

>maybe I'll add to my collection too
>silent bomber $110

Guess I missed the boat. Better buy these $100 PS2 games before that shit sails too far as well.

I still do not know why digital games are not by default cheaper at launch. It makes zero sense and the fact that publishers have gotten away with it and still do just shows how fucking stupid "gamers" are. It's absolutely inexcusable.

you just have to aim for limited edition shit like the special editions for cyberpunk or stuff like the amiibo shit. then you have to buy tons of it on release day when you are absolutely certain there is gonna be a shortage and huge demand and upsell it by charging 50-100% more than originally on ebay. Be quick and sell all of it dont restock it is too risky.

There's literally nothing wrong with having a few tasteful ce's with nice artbooks or whatever for games you actually enjoy, but there's literally no reason to hoarde standard copies of games you play once or need significant patches.

>no more online for you in this online multiplayer only game
How does having a physical copy let you play on shut down servers?

You can only play the launch version of most games if you have the physical disc. Digital you don't get that option if some exploit was patched out or something was censored. Not to mention publishers not paying for shit and literally having games erased from digital storefronts.

People like to hoard garbage, it's a state of mind

The only PS2 games that are close to expensive are the .hack and Disaster Report games. Everything else can be had for like 15 bucks even from eBay
I got Persona 3, 4 and SMT: Nocturne for like 30 bucks a few years back. Don't worry though, PS2 games are piss easy to pirate with softmods.

>no non-fiction about society, culture, art, etc.

You do realize the internet has been invented, right?

Having worked in games marketing, it's because they know they can get away with it. Most people don't care. Or the "sweeten the pot" by making the digital versions (more so on steam) have a slight pre-order discount.

As long as people en masse aren't raising a stink about it, and I mean more than just your typical power user (has to be the general population level of magnitude), they're going to keep doing it. It's a bigger money windfall since they don't have to pay for COGs.

Right now it's brick and mortar strong arming publishers. As more and more people shift to digital and fucking gamestop tanks, we'll hopefully start to see more discounts

Short term, yeah. That's just the basic scalper game, but if you're for some reason playing the long game, the way I pointed out is the way to go.

But again, whoever does this is a massive fool since the return isn't all that impressive for the time factor. Unless, you stumble into something stupidly rare like a prototype or a dev console, stuff that didn't make to market and shouldn't exist.

Whether they wish to sell the games on or keep them they are still worth more than a digital license.

What the fuck are you on about? If you're going to buy the games anyways what does it matter if it's physical? You can at least sell the physical games, you can't sell a digital download you retard. Not to mention that you can buy a stack of those games used for way less than retail.

Shutting down servers and shutting down individual accounts are very different things.