WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA???

WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA???

Attached: hqdefault-5.jpg (480x360, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doomwiki.org/wiki/Sandy_Petersen
youtu.be/xMX0uQpDsYU?t=1709
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i see nothing wrong with it

Sandy Petersen. To his credit he had to do the lion's share of maps for Doom II, and later was a game designer for AoE II which is pretty cool I guess.

doomwiki.org/wiki/Sandy_Petersen

Best level

to be fair that level also has the blue room which is the most kino area in doom

I wanna see q modern version of the blue room tbg

they were trying to make levels more challenging and pushing the mechanics of the game to the limit
i'm not a fan of the gimmick levels either but it's clear the were used as a blueprint for modders going foward

Rule of thumb: If it's a shit Doom 2 level, then Sandy Peterson is to blame.

Whatsamatta bro, can't fast enough?

Attached: 1509411691679.png (256x256, 78K)

Worst Doom level ever.

At least it has an interesting speedrunning history

What level is this?

assuming that's the Doom 2 level with the really narrow walk-ways, the world record started at 2min and got cut down to 36 seconds.

This. Just saw the documentary on it recently, easily the most interesting speedrun history of any doom level.

Zoomers finally got to play classic fps. Now every fucking day there is a thread about bashing doom

Attached: images.jpg (188x268, 6K)

Shut the fuck up. Doom 1 is one of my favorite games. Doom 2, however, has absolutely atrocious level design and garbage enemies.
Ironically, your sycophantic blind love of all things related to old Doom marks you as a relatively new fan of it.

Shut the fuck up zoomer. Rip and tear is the fucking shit to blast it to.

You poor child. I am detecting a massive devastating butthurt, that tortures you.
I am playing doom since 1995. And you are just a pathetic wannabe be gamer-girl. If you think that Doom II is garbage, then something is definitely wrong with your gene pool.

Attached: 409144_400x320.jpg (320x320, 13K)

What about Mt. Erebus?

According to American Mcgee on his Doom 2 stream, Doom 2 levels were divided among quite a lot of different people in the team. Some designed more traditional labyrinthine levels (like American himself who is responsible for the early levels), while others went with more of a D&D challenge approach. Hence why you got a lot of gimmicky levels in the mix. Also they had no real blueprint or roadmap for the game's design, they just added everything they found cool in the game, thats why you occasionally get things like lava pools with Toxic warning labels on top.

Attached: Alice.jpg (900x1200, 119K)

I raise you a Metal

Do you come on the internet solely to spread your absolute shit opinion that literally only you hold?

But Erebus is one of the best.

Not him, but 3 was good. Come at me.

Mount Pain

doom is fun but they front load all the good levels in both games

Back in days some people played doom with keyboard only, like me. It was extremely difficult to finish this level, playing like this. But man, it was so satisfying.

Attached: IBM PC family - 84-key keyboard.jpg (1300x627, 595K)

>E2M9 exists

Attached: consider.jpg (600x600, 32K)

I remember I played with mouse movement. Now THAT was awful looking back. I don't know how 8 year old me actually managed that.

Oh just get on with it, you pussy. It's not even that bad.
>why is this video game trying to challenge me BAWWWWW
Fuck you.

Not an excuse for bad level design

Doom 3 is great. It was visually superb when it came out. That dynamic lighting and bump mapping - fucking gorgeous. It was the first time i had to change my videocard to play a new game.
Despite the fact being different gameplay wise, still liked it a lot.

Attached: images (1).jpg (303x167, 7K)

Git gud faggit
youtu.be/xMX0uQpDsYU?t=1709

Attached: 48a.png (600x517, 428K)

I think it had the best sound design out of any horror game. It wasn't scary in the typical sense but it always left me anxious and uneasy.

I think sound design plays a huge underappreciated role in how good a game is.

as a 95 zoomer It was my first doom game and I was a huge fan, bought the special edition for Xbox which came with 1 and 2 and played it for years and years, and I forced my parents to take me to the movies premier. The wait for Doom 4 was agonizing.

>different gameplay wise
it was terrible, remember the shotgun? holy fuck was that a bad weapon

>watch a speedrun of that map
>now skip most of it every time I want to replay Doom 2

Attached: 1531900356010.png (378x349, 34K)

DOOM2 certainly has shitty levels but the super shotgun and the enemies are great.

Wacky shit is the best. Like the inescapable toxic water in Pandemonium, fake exit in Halls of the Damned or the whole of Monster Condo.
Bad wacky shit is the worst though, like Tricks and Traps

Me

Yeah, that description is definitely on point. Sounds design was amazing.
Not exactly. Yeah, the first time I got it, i thought it was atrocious. But the I got used to it. In my opinion the idea behind that huge shotgun spread was to make you use shotgun like a really close range (bayonet-like) weapon. And it is satisfying to destroys imps from a single blast, or make zombies into gore paste when they get really close.

Attached: Shotgun3.png (747x423, 379K)

zoomer here who never completed any iwads, just UV pistol started the map for the first time after reading this thread and once i figured out it was a puzzle map rather than a run and gun map it wasn't that difficult. not exactly the most fun map to play but i've played worse