What JRPGs go against the formula?

What JRPGs go against the formula?

Attached: 1560855445579.jpg (1200x750, 303K)

monster hunter

dark souls

When was the last time a good WRPG came out?

Attached: tenor.gif (320x240, 2.73M)

I don't get it.

Yakuza

elona

10 years since DA:O, Amalur flopped so hard it basically killed the entire genre

Attached: 1560115751361.png (720x540, 656K)

>food analogy
Playing games for the story is like eating soup for the spoon.

Divinity: Original Sin 2

JRPGs are simple, saccharine, and formulaic, so they're represented by sugary baby formula

WRPGs require you to make your own fun, but in the end you wonder was it all worth it although at least there was gameplay other than mashing the confirm button (the meat is gamey)

No that doesn't work, hunting is fun but WRPG's usually aren't.

>hunting is fun
t. never hunted in his entire life

You don't like being outside?

>Dark Souls and Octopath Traveler are simplistic

>Dark Souls
Not a JRPG lmao
>Octopath Traveler
Yep

You're right user, you clearly never HAVE hunted in your whole life. Especially bow hunting

You have never played anything outside of final fantasy

>wrpg
>content
>taste
American """"""""""""""""""""culture"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

>JRPGs are simple
wrpg is click spam to win against hp sponges, can't me more simple than that. average rpg allows stats to matter, and mechanics to take place and develop. wrpgs think rng and mouse clicks with some space bar jumps are strategy.

Attached: 1554065041553.webm (640x360, 2.29M)

How many times are you going to repost this?

as popular as it is FFs post 5 are not a good example of JRPGs

At least in there you press buttons, in your average WRPG it's not even that.

What exactly is 'the average' WRPG because like, aside from the black isle games (where you tend to focus more on the battle's meta than the actual clicking of it) I can't really think of one where 'not pressing buttons' is the norm; if anything I find more of them have more buttons because they expect you to do shit like dodge, parry and block on manual order

*btfo any wrpg in the current decade*

Attached: 2335.jpg (1491x1734, 643K)

I think he means those 6-8 partymembers WRPGs that have auto combat

>What exactly is 'the average' WRPG
Your average infinity engine crap, which were inspired by the Black Isle games either way.
>I can't really think of one where 'not pressing buttons' is the norm
The NWN games are literally that, especially with a team or martials, and in 2 you don't even need that, MoTB being especially aggravating by virtue of Okku existing at all, BG games aren't that different either and for all the praise, Pathfinder doesn't set the bar higher outside of a handful of odd fights.

ultima vii?

Maybe your soup is shit but I really like that I get to keep the spoon

DivOS2 is far and away the best WRPG this decade. Nothing comes close.

Isnt there already a WRPG vs JRPG thread up?

Pathfinder with turn based mod easily beats it.

This, I'll take that spoon with me while enjoying the other soups

Kingdom Come Deliverance
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Underrail
Atom RPG
Divinity Original Sin 2
Witcher 3

Attached: 1557651277377.png (396x364, 192K)

>JRPG does anything vaguely different
>B-BUT THAT DOESN'T COUNT!!!!
Every fucking time. It doesn't matter how complex or feature-rich the game is, you'll always get some fag who wants to continually divide JRPGs and only JRPGs into microscopic subdivisions because apparently the only JRPGs you can have are FF/DQ clones, while WRPGs can be virtually any framework of mechanics and they all count equally.

Attached: file.png (1600x900, 2.52M)

>WRPGs can be virtually any framework of mechanics
I wish, WRPG faggots only want FPS with stats, poor man's action games and Infinity engine clones with all the same structure, and possibly D&D based.

>female coworker actually eats that baby food

Attached: 1555711864831-1.png (258x345, 104K)

I think one user made a very good distinction at some point on how JRPGs and WRPGs diverged, despite both of them being rooted in classic tabletop RPGs. He talked about how developers in Japan were a lot more taken with the combat system and gameplay, and thought "alright, what fun things can we do with this?" approach where they emphasized experimenting with the turn-based combat and what could be done with it, but still in a mostly rigid storytelling structure. Meanwhile, the west focused a lot more on the roleplaying and [apparent] freedom of choice aspect, and so that's why WRPGs are a lot more centered on their dialogue systems and branching paths to solve challenges and being given a blank character that you can build across various archetypes, while in the meantime the combat system itself has never really been refined very much and, very much like in tabletop, existed as essentially a placeholder for the other fun aspects of the game to manifest through. Notice how when everybody talks about the fun in the gameplay of classic WRPGs, they talk about the fun of building the character, never the actual combat itself.

Attached: K8.jpg (425x516, 40K)