Why won't AAA devs push technology forward?

Why won't AAA devs push technology forward?

Attached: 1554874130607.webm (720x405, 2.72M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Havok
youtube.com/watch?v=pW-SOdj4Kkk
youtube.com/watch?v=54bpxhCEwDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oKVyDqFFPNw
youtube.com/watch?v=UEJDInk1NXQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because no one wants to spend a fuckton of money on something that only a handful of autists will notice
It's easier and more profitable to spend on big grafics that every shit-eater will see

Attached: terrain deformation.webm (720x405, 2.18M)

consoles, they haven't even gotten SSDs yet

Attached: consoles chart.jpg (304x323, 35K)

Battlefield has this though?

Because all the physic depends on Havok. So ask the people making Havok for new things.

>that last one with the swarming spheres
THAT is what spells should look and cast like in first person RPGs

But they will though

because they are too busy pushing woman empowerment forward.

>Dosen't have any impact on actual gameplay
>"Fake" solutions fool 98% percent of people without requiring a $3k gaming rig
This is exactly like ray-tracing, completely pointless.
Might help engineers build cars or something but worthless for our purposes as gamers

Because most games in fact are using boatloads of middleware TECHNOLOGY to do basic things these days (noticed the dozen logos attached to every credits); the "issue" is that the tech has become commonplace, so devs no longer feel compelled to meticulous craft an amusement park showcase the way Valve did in 2004. The novelty wore off, essentially.

>physics have no impact on gameplay
Have you never played Half-Life 2? The game op's webm is literally a fan sequel to?

*meticulously

Those tests are happening in isolation. In an actual game there'd be a lot of other things that'd bring in a lot of worst-case scenarios for processing.
Games are designed to work on a stable set of aged hardware (consoles) and lower-spec PCs in order to hit the largest number of consumers. If simulating that takes too many resources it'll just get axed or scaled back.
Overall it's easier to go with mechanics that have already been proven to work and just make those prettier for different spec machines. Also Red Faction Guerilla had a basic version of that stuff and it didn't really change the game much aside from require all buildings be 100 meters from each other.

fpbp

rdr2 had really novel terrain deformation like this on snow and mud

>yet

yea, 10 years too late

because your shitty toaster can't run the game.

Valve used Havok btw. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Havok

If it weren't for consoles forming a solid base gaming would be dead by now, no one would cater to the highest end.

The better question is why don't they push game design forward

source on this? looks fucking cool

This, I don't get how PCfags don't understand this
90% of the money that funds games comes from consoles which allow companies to get bigger and theoretically make bigger and better games. Without consoles game would still be in the early 2000s.

Is this Project Borealis?

Unfortunately true. This matters for every aspect of the game, by the way. I can spend a couple of days implementing a really fun and good AI, but they're not going to pay me for that. It just needs to look like it is somehow fair and competent, eventhough it is cheating left and right and going outside of player rules. This doesn't have anything to do with consoles. It's because corporations want the least effort for maximum potential revenue. It's why optimizing the engine usually never happens beyond the prototype phase either and even if it's a PC port, usually the first thing to be reduced is the lighting and shader model, as well as LOD, before the engine is even considered.

>dude half life but in UE4 with bloom and useless shit
fuck off retard, go back to jerking yourself off with your memetracing shit in quake 2 while it runs at 4 fps

youtube.com/watch?v=pW-SOdj4Kkk somewhat related

>He hasn't played the multiplayer
That shit's amazing and a huge game changer in competitive environments. If you haven't tried it yet I highly reccomend getting a few friends together and try deathmatch on a few stages, because it sounds to me like you've only played the singleplayer which was okay

>it just creates a path instead of actually displacing snow
Yuck.

Not even close to the same thing lmfao

Because I can lie to you and sell you unfinished gachabox games with pre launch season passes and pre determined DLC all while asking you to kickstart it for me. Meanwhile I advert their attention with gaming journalism,twitter, Yourtube, Twitch SJW minority outrage so you never have time to think about how your getting screwed because your too busy arguing/actively ignoring people who pretend to like videogames.
All of this mixed with people who will scream about how evil one company is while kissing the ass of their favorite company because they make something I like so they can't be shills too.

>put thing from OP in a game that isn't from 2004
>runs like shit
>nobody notices the effect anyway
>FUCKING UNOPTIMISED GARBAGE RETARD DEVS

VALVE

There's no financial incentive.

This is why I mostly play indie titles these days

The early 2000's were a bastion of creativity in gaming. I would love to go back to a period where people are willing to take risks and make fun new things again. A time when Valve actually made new games instead of making shitty hats and card game flops, chasing whatever stupid trend they're too late for.

youtube.com/watch?v=54bpxhCEwDQ

I have not. Doubt any of my friends have the game, but I'll check out some videos
I think the singleplayer could've handled it a lot better. It seems like they wanted you to hit-and-run with heavy stuff, since the unending swarms of enemies made it annoying to take your time

I'm going to wait to see Naughty Dog's 9th gen exclusive before I go into cynical mode. They tend to push the tech envelope, even when they stick to familiar genres.

All that matters is the hardware and software driving their creation, and it didn't necessarily have to be the video game medium to drive that growth.

Theoretically, anyone with the right skill set and enough money could leverage all the premium tools that are available to heavily automate and greatly simplify production, iteration, and distribution of their ideas and designs at a AAA quality. Efficiency is the main issue, but going forward we should start seeing better algorithmic implementations for driving a programmatic workflow for the procedural creation and assembly of all class of assets.

What can be done with realistic glass pane destruction that can't be done with the pre-baked solution from Modern Warfare 2.
Computer Science is a field about finding efficient good-enough solutions to complex problems.
Not about duct-taping GTX 2080s together until every single atom is modeled precisely.

Yeah it really is hit and run as fuck, one of my main strategies for taking down edf structures was planting the remote control mines on heavy vehicles and torpedoing them right down the middle so the building collapses in on itself

> 90% of the money that funds games comes from consoles which allow companies to get bigger and theoretically make bigger and better games. Without consoles game would still be in the early 2000s

kill yourself you dumb idiot. the fact that consoles casualized the consumers from enthusiast beginnings and created the modern superpublisher is exactly why we're in such a horrible state with the industry

Basically, imagine a point in the distant future where you describe to a computer program exactly what you want, whether it's a tangible good, or an interactive product, and the computer will do all the grunt work behind the scenes to make things happen.

I describe a world and set of characteristics and behaviors I want exhibited, to a set of parameters, and the computer will leverage an entire library of programs and solutions to automatically generate a result as close as possible to the desired outcome, to be fine-tuned and iterated by hand after the initial output.

Just because you're ignorant doesn't mean AAA is not making strides in TECHNOLOGY. Chaos tech that Epic showcased during gdc was fantastic, and when raytracing gets optimized, there's more fun to be had.

>playing God
I don't know that sounds kind of dangerous.

>HL2 gets something that's existed in games since 2001

Attached: red faction.jpg (960x960, 64K)

Administrative bloat.

Basically they hire secretaries for the secretary and "ethics departments" and things like that.

But that's from Unreal Engine 4, using outdated tech that they hope to replace with new official replacements from Epic soon enough.

GeoMod was underused in the game unfortunately

>allow companies to get bigger and theoretically make bigger and better games.
AHAHAHAHHAHA go fuck yourself retard

That's what much of the research into "AI" is going into, and what a major goal for it is.

90% of the profits go to the publisher with developers getting flat paychecks and maybe per-contract bonuses. The publisher then deems whether or not future games from that same dev should get more budget, or less, if they don't just sack the devs altogether to cut corners. The money goes into publisher profits and shareholders / investors, not more games.

What the fuck do you think Elon Musk, Google, Facebook, and whoever the fuck else, want to do? They want to play God.

At least Musk has entertained the idea of "hey maybe we should be regulating this shit".

Would you rather the entire industry be 4 hour long indie games with no production value? What do you propose?

The basic human need to be watched was once satisfied by God. Now, the same functionality can be replicated with data-mining algorithms.

Attached: Morpheus.gif (128x128, 71K)

tfw if nintendo had 8th gen hardware we could have guerilla-tier building destruction and trees with branches

You dumb fucking zoomer, the industry was not like that all before the console boom warped it into the AAA bullshit.

You can apply this reasoning in every media industry, it always fits

Because it adds nothing in terms of gameplay, it just looks visually nice and ""realistic"".

I'm hyped for this it feels as close as we'll ever get to a real episode 3.

Video games started on consoles, nearly all the most memorable games were console games releasing on well known systems

Red Faction does not have that level of terrain and object destruction and you fucking know it

Inb4 valve buys the project and has them develop it at valve headquarters like with portal, dota and others

Anyone get the feeling that devs just aren't bothering to optimize their shit anymore? Like, all the latest games have inflated requirements, but tbqh they don't really look all that better than games from almost a decade ago. Hell, wouldn't even surprise me if the devs/pbulishers are in cahoots with jewvidia, purposefully keeping their games unoptimized as a way of pressuring consumers into buying the latest overpriced graphics card.

Attached: pepe ponder.jpg (480x480, 26K)

Yeah they know how to squeeze every last drop from consoles, Uncharted 4 had autism tier levels of tech and unnoticeable details

i'd say that they're just being lazier and lazier instead of taking money from jewvidia or intel or something
why optimize when we have super fast hardware to do the hard work for us even if its expensive as shit?

Still makes me mad that Uncharted 4 has more thoughtful and less forgiving grapple hook physics than Spider-Man. And they're underused in both 4 and LL.

Attached: 1553809961203.webm (1280x720, 1.13M)

I'm not saying it's either or. It could be both. They already want to just be lazy and keep things unoptimized as it is, simply because it means less work. But then on top of that, there's also the possiblity that nvidia has backroom deals with these companies to ensure the requirements stay high. It's a "win win" in their eyes.

Of course, this is speculation, but knowing the shit businesses do when there's nothing to stop them, I don't see why they wouldn't be doing this.

I unironically don't see what 'push technology forward' would bring to games.
The more 'realistic' games get, the more bored I am most of the time. Elaborate space- universe sims in which I can micromanage every fakking lil' thing doesn't excatly scream "this will be fun!"at me.
I like the simple things in life: and in games too.

That actually looks fun and something I'd like to play.

>Elaborate space- universe sims in which I can micromanage every fakking lil' thing doesn't excatly scream "this will be fun!"at me
That makes one of us. I love autistic shit like that.

the memorable games were 1st party nintendo/sega games. early atari had a few but it's early atari, so they were mostly shit

pc created the fps/rts/grand strat genres. along with online. consoles had platformers and rpgs. arcades covered everything else (mostly fighters, beat em ups, racers, and light guns). it's no surprise that the industry turned to shit with the dawn of the ps2 as babby's first dvd player and console cancer nerfed pc progress

Using bethesda games as an example, I just want a fallout or elder scrolls game where the towns have more than 5 buildings, where each house isn't its own worldspace, where houses have WINDOWS looking outside, and where there can be battles between more than a dozen NPCs without the game shitting the bed.

Power isn't just about how few jaggies or how many polys.

Maybe

Attached: 1559964237831.webm (710x400, 2.96M)

Most of that is because of console hardware limiting what they can do, look at the big mod for New Vegas that completely opens up the strip and the outer city.

>gravity gun gameplay isn't affected at all by better physics

pushing technology forward means more way a player can interact with the game and more ways the game can react to the player, which means more possibilities
if you're okay with driving a car into a building just for it to bounce away like a solid block of polygons then you're okay with games offering the same experience achievable 20 years ago, but some other people would be interested in seeing a big gaping hole in that building
and that's just one extremely basic example of technology usage to improve game experience

>no footprint trail
>walking in snow is just as fast as normal terrain
>snow disappears when in contact with barrel
oh wow, no wonder valve won't implement this useless shit

I do get it, it's just I don't need it to be immersed and have fun: it often has the opposite effect even.
I get that too: but for me the same point stands: it wouldn't help my immersion: A 'misty' room for example would leave something to the imagination: hyper realistic rooms with HDR graphics and for some reason my brain will finds something that is 'off' and instantly ruin the immersion and thus: will have the opposite effect on me. I find it easier to immerse in a game like super mario world (2D) that is it's own small believable world, than to immerse in RDR2 (realistic 3D), if that makes any sense.

This has been done before, nothing new

Games cater to the LOWEST specs first unless its a tech demo showcase, like Crysis.

Shattered Horizon had zero players because no one could run the fucking game because no one had DX10 vista PCs in 2008 because vista was hot garbage and the game was exclusive to that

That we get the indies making the good games and grow them into publishers by buying the good games, ensure their awareness that once they get past a certain threshold they can easily challenge the publishers at their own game for a fraction of the cost because the current publishers are literally bloated messes and that they only get that and be able to profit from it so long as they remember what they are there for.
Seriously publishers are supposed to find talent, make the talent shine, market that shit a bit and sit back and rake it in, instead they will blow their load on anything they think will make them all of the money instead of a respectable amount and they will throw millions at the attempts, they will spend millions modifying games that werent meant to be fucked with if it means more money at they do it all with as little expense for the upper management as they can get away with.
Strip out the dickholes and their stupid shit and your left with a very well oiled machine.

Err you do know that C&C Tiberian sun has realtime deformation for all weapon impacts right? This is a game released over 20 years ago.

Attached: ill get it.jpg (480x360, 17K)

NO DON'T OPEN THE DOOR

ok so no games didnt start on consoles you retard, gaming started out in universities where students made the games on uni hardware (PC), then came arcade machines, then consoles.

Maybe because this shit already exists, you kek

Attached: glaz.webm (896x504, 1.61M)

holy fuck is this true?

How long until I can tell a computer to give me a gf, and it'll happen?

>that FOV snap everytime the gun shoots
holy fuck, are you trying to make me vomit from dizziness?

I mean they've had small eMMCs before.

>make game where you can destroy terrain
>most of the game takes place in indestructible interiors

Do you realize a gravity gun completely shits on real physics?

>2019
>not realizing that the video game industry got completely tanked
>he ignores the fact that 99,9% of the billions made in the "gaming" industry comes from loot boxes, keys, skins etc.

>Is a modern game trying to make me vomit?
The answer is always yes.

Truth.

This. I really don't care for these things when physics played less and less of a role in Episodes One and Two. I wouldn't be surprised at all to know that Episode Three never materialized because Valve couldn't come up with a decent physics gimmick. Focus on unique Combine AI, level design, and gunplay.

Attached: halflife.jpg (2133x1600, 885K)

You can on PS4, just slide off the part with the logo and unscrew some parts then swap out the one that comes with it with an SSD.

Because developers are locked into the limitations of game consoles and its control schemes.

>need a gimmick gun to justify physics

This is bullshit, PC got tons of these barely optimised "genre defining" shitfests that everybody keeps buying but nobody truly likes. Enjoy buying top of the line hardware and still struggling to reach 60fps. This is the PC experience.

There's a subtle balance between making something realistic and fun to play. A skilled games designer can create a game that on the outside is entirely realistic, but has a ton of concessions for gameplay that the player doesn't necessarily notice.

The last game that let you do this that I can think of was Red Faction Guerilla.

I agree, nothing has come close since.

This was inevitable as technology advanced. There is no way modern graphics would not draw in literally everyone.
Enthusiast of the past worked with little and sometime had to fill in with their own fantasy but that's no longer necessary.

Everything in r6 siege is vile and vomit inducing

PLEASE, user i BEG OF YOU to kill yourself

PS4 cant use a SSD properly since it uses IDE SATA2.
It tops at 250MiB/s and 1,000IOPS.
Meanwhile AHCI SATA3 works at 600MiB/S at 100,000 IOPS.

except ps pro, which does have sata 3.

"push technology forward" = better graphics at the cost of technology that improves the experience/immersion
Mid 2000s was peak technology for games, now we technically have better graphics but theres absolutely nothing interesting about the gameplay and older games still have better aesthetics

Because most games nowadays (specially AAA's) try to be a "jack of all trades" instead of focusing on a single unique mechanic and expanding upon that.

youtube.com/watch?v=oKVyDqFFPNw

Pretty much this. Make everything photorealistic and everything will end up looking exactly the same.

>tfw Silent Storm still has the best environmental destruction in vidya
I don't even give much of a shit about hyper-realistic glass shattering, I just want to be able to tear down the entire level.

desktop prices were still a solid gatekeeper

it was always "the family computer" so if you wanted your own gaming rig you'd have to buy/build your own. instead of everybody getting a $399 meme machine to get nerfed console ports. and all the graphic advancement/leaps came on pc first, so it matched with generation-to-generation on cards. was a nice filter, not too big, but not too small. if consoles didn't take off, pc gaming would be in a new golden age because normies would've just went on to become macfags instead and enthusiasts would still be casualwalled

This. Silent Storm is still hard to beat.

They've had better tech than this for over a decade though
youtube.com/watch?v=UEJDInk1NXQ

Games already do this, only slightly impressive, mainly due to a lack of use though.

Attached: 6CC07338-783E-43DE-B3CA-D32B4CAA6718.jpg (750x748, 194K)

guess im gonna go play red faction guerrilla again