Was 1.X really as bad as everyone says or did it do some things better than ARR?

Was 1.X really as bad as everyone says or did it do some things better than ARR?

Attached: ab6b887cd9fe686e74e557bb6b85f8697d5e0cb7 (1).jpg (1024x576, 206K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/unpWwn00mJs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was just ARR with longer cooldowns. They barely changed anything.

it can't be overstated how bad the game was.
there was improvements towards the end of its life, but the foundation of the game was so terrible there was no way they could continued it for the long run.

Yes, it really was that bad.

notice how the graphics are really good, even though it's so much older?

yeah, it was unoptimized as hell. it ran like dogshit.

Launch was a bloody mess as is true of just about all MMOs but there were a lot more problems that needed fixing than usual, the big one being the engine. They gave up, couldn't be arsed making it good. I mean making a new engine was absolutley neccesary, the only way to salvage it, but making a new GAME was a shitcunt move and destroyed a world of potential.
>did it do some things better than ARR?
Oh, almost everything. I'd take a game that's bad by incompetence over a game that's bad by design.

>Oh, almost everything.
Name the top three things it did better than ARR.

Not that user, but I actually really liked the movement and animations in 1.0 over the ones in ARR. They weren't as flashy, but they looked a lot more organic and had a lot of weight behind them. That's the only thing I can think of that was "better" though.

it really was that bad
youtu.be/unpWwn00mJs

The graphics were better than ARR

Yes!

The game was unoptimized as fuck and ruined by terrible netcode affecting even the menus
Even if you preferred its style of combat it was walled behind PC frying system requirements and 500+ ping

>Oh, almost everything. I'd take a game that's bad by incompetence over a game that's bad by design.
Holy shit, I never thought I would see a day where people are actually nostalgic over FFXIV 1.0. It's not even like classic WoW where the vanilla game was actually good but flawed, it's the complete opposite of that even. The game was so bad at release that it nearly killed SQ, like wholesale almost bankrupted the company.

>Not that user, but I actually really liked the movement and animations in 1.0 over the ones in ARR. They weren't as flashy, but they looked a lot more organic and had a lot of weight behind them.
>That's the only thing I can think of that was "better" though.
It was like playing a much shittier version FFXI but having your hands and keyboard submerged in bathtub full of molasses. Trust me, it might have looked better, but it played like complete ass.

There were a couple of things it did better, but it was fundamentally awful.

Is this the Yea Forums culture thing where unpopular hated thing good and popular loved thing bad? When's this gonna happen for Fortnite?

Assumi5/v/ is still around wait a decade and there will be 22 year old fat NEETS reminiscing about being 12 and playing fortnite and how much better it was than whatever garbage is popular in 2030

This shit was a major problem.

Attached: e534308265528fd171d1c25c6b5fe0db12cc65aa.jpg (1023x592, 239K)

FFXIV 1.0 is just boneless XI that ran like trash. All of the novelties that might make 1.0 more interesting than ARR can be found in XI. For better or worse, by becoming more of a "normal" MMO ARR made FFXIV more distinct from its predecessor and thereby better justified running 2 MMOs simultaneously.

I was actually really confused when I saw an ad the other day for an XI come back campaign. I seriously thought it was a mistake, but no it appears people are still playing it.

bad game by all accounts

the spells were cool because all elements were on the same tier in terms of power, like classic FF games.

The environment was atrocious. Copy pasted terrain in every direction.

The grinding was also atrocious. This game failed because of Sony. They wanted to push this shit out to compete with Microshit.

Yeah...cause its still a solid MMO and like EQ n GW1, it added ways to let people play solo n do almost all content. Ive been meaning to hop on it myself recently....
Hell people still play EQ/EQ2...

Still has like a hundred thousand active subs last time I heard, mostly in Japan
The game can largely be played as a single player FF these days with the NPC parties you can hire.

>zoomers and WOWbabbies can't handle a real dungeon layout
Color me surprised

That's not a dungeon.

I feel like 1.0 had a lot of little things that made stuff more interesting like the nightmares you'd sometimes get from logging out at the inn.

Attached: nightmares.jpg (1280x720, 44K)

It was the Emerald Labyrinth, after all.

I played and enjoyed 1.0. It was a sandbox compared to the guided tour theme park WoW-clone the game is now. You were dropped into the world and left to your own devices. There were less far less loading screens. Cities, for example, weren't divided up into seperate chunks. I honestly think the main reason it was completely rebooted is that there was no other way for it to run on the PS3's paltry 256 MB of RAM.

>contrarian retards shitpost without knowing what theyre talking about
>le zoomer boomer dilate cope maymays

That's the world map dude
I'd be all for XIV having dungeons that aren't just boss corridors

Imagine doing raids snd dungeons with GTA5 style movement. Better animations that hamstringed everything in the game except cutscenes.

it had framework for being closer to 11, but it didn't pull it off at all, and ended up just being a boring timegated mess where you could only progress so much every day because grinding was absolutely unfeasible so you had to do guildleves which were limited.

I don't care for the game much now, but I think it's certainly done a fair bit better than 1.0 did, and I say that as someone who bought the full collectors edition of it, and even have my name in that fucking 3 hour long wall of names in the credits, and got the shitty birth cert for my character.

Wanna know how I know you never played 1.X or even ARR? Because that's the fucking world map you contrarian shit eater.

Atleast do some fucking research before shitposting like a retard

it was better than ARR
fight me ARRfags. I played from 2011-2012 and quit ARR 2 months in. I didn't sign up for a fucking WoW clone

1.xx was turning into a proper successor to FFXI. It was great but it was bittersweet. We all saw the meteor coming but no one was really prepared for the feels of literally having our world end. All those years spent with surroigate families in XI and all the promises of the team to bring us into the next generation, only to have it all be destroyed and replaced with Reddit: The Game (weeb edition!)

At least we have the memories.

Attached: FFXIV_1346368845.jpg (1280x800, 304K)

>someone who bought the full collectors edition of it, and even have my name in that fucking 3 hour long wall of names in the credits, and got the shitty birth cert for my character.

Attached: NoRegrets.jpg (512x517, 44K)

If the Calamity remade it into 11 but prettier it could've been alright but they went for the safer bet because 1.0 nearly fucking bankrupted them.

>fight me ARRfags.
Sure, as soon as you state an actual argument. And no, "WoW clone" is not an argument, be specific.

>Reddit: The Game (weeb edition!)

Attached: 1553574199495.png (272x348, 187K)

Oh I regret my purchase, bet your ass I do.
The artbook is nice though. I also have a vita and don't regret that at all, best purchase I probably made in the last 4-5 years. Fucker's basically just a PSP+

Not him but how is that not a valid argument? WoW is horrid, korean style simplified MMORPG for normans and dullards. How is having something completely different from that be turned into it not a bad thing?

Attached: WoW.png (1360x768, 603K)

Because it does a number of things different from WoW, while also doing some things the same. It is an imprecise unspecific argument, and so is not compelling and cannot drive discussion.

>WoW is Korean style
that just shows you have no idea what a Korean MMO actually is

people saying 1.0 was good are Blizzshills astroturfing

I personally legit interested in playing 1.x for what it is because from what I see, it's so much different from what we have now that it's pretty much playing a different game.

You implying you're not a redditor?
That's what I thought.

>nearly
1.0 being such an enormous flop hot off the heels of 13 also being a commercially panned success put them in the red. Severely deep into the red. They took on licensing projects for most of the early 2010s to make their money back, and flipped assets for ff13-2.

You're clearly not old enough to have played the games WoW was copied from.

are you saying WoW copied Lineage?

>WoW is horrid, korean style simplified MMORPG
Fucking dumbass it literally started as Everquest minus most of the grind

>WoW = everquest

the poser is strong in this one

Attached: 1460334984883.jpg (640x458, 54K)

>It was like playing a much shittier version FFXI but having your hands and keyboard submerged in bathtub full of molasses.
Elaborate? I have difficulty playing XI because of its control, but after quite some time, it's just okay-ish, and it's being a slugfest is more because the game is designed around menu and controller and not keyboard.

Try reading that again champ

1.0 wasn't a great game but it did some very good things.
>Amazingly animated cutscenes.
>Battle/death animations unique to genders and races.
>Better equipment physics, armor moved like armor and didn't flap like fabric.
>Attention to details in gear like having tail holes for cat people.
>Some battle effects were better like Stoneskin and some weaponskills but a lot were worse.
>The game wanted to be its own thing and not a "Remember previous FF games?" Nostalgia engine.

still doesn't work. Not by a fucking lonshot. Christ

So it just looked better.

i am leveling DRK now. should i do the blood weapon + abyssal drain thing or is that only for max level?

>loved ARR
>played constantly
>cleared all endgame content
>did ALL THE THINGS
>Heavensward comes out
>get to max level
>finish main story
>suddenly lose all interest and motivation
>haven't played since
I'm still not sure what happened. But I miss it.

Attached: ibyUq6SGUqrbI0.gif (264x240, 2.57M)

Seamless world
Hamlet defense
all skills being cross class skills

I've done some research and apparently everything in the original final fantasy 14 was done with a simple scripting engine so they wouldn't need to order up more work for programmers every time they changed anything. Basically, the only things that were being done by actual compiled code were the most basic interactions, everything else, all dialog menus, spells and actions, everything was implemented through simple scripts written by non-programmers. Which is why it ran like absolute dogshit

Not him, but yeah, the production value of its look is off the chart, and as I'm pretty sure you already know it by now, is indeed one of the reason what dragged down 1.x.

so graphics and thats it? why not play a gook mmo if thats what you care about

Yes and no. Look at the OP's screenshot. Looks completely lifeless. The areas in 1.0 look like they're from a soulless Korean MMO, not a soulful Japanese one.

>wow is a korean style MMORPG
I mean lets ignore all the aspects it stole from western MMOs (and a few eastern ones) to stay relevant.
Lets ignore all that it took/borrowed from DAOC and EQ at its launch.

How in the actual fuck are you so fucking stupid that you think WoW plays remotely anything like a Korean MMO?

>>The game wanted to be its own thing and not a "Remember previous FF games?" Nostalgia engine.
>Couldn't stop jerking off towards FFXI with the same fucking races and race limitations but ohh look we gave them different sounding names!
No, please, stop your faggot right the fuck there. It was better looking sure, but god damn you didn't have auto attacks, you had fucking 10 second cooldown's at -BEST-, you had defense stats that -DIDN'T DO ANYTHING-, YOU HAD FUCKING SKILLS THAT OUTRIGHT TOOK 3 TIMES AS LONG TO COOLDOWN, FOR ONLY 1/5th THE DAMAGE YOUR FIRST GAINED ATTACK WOULD DO.
Just because it had better animation and details means shit, SHIT, when it was "We know nothing about MMO's: the MMO". Like even simple stuff FFXI got right they just fucked up on left and right, and for what? Better graphics? God damn it get over yourself and play a korean MMO already for that bullcrap that does nothing at the end of the day.

FFXIV nowadays at least get's the raiding dance at a good spot with strong mechanics and juggling.

MMO burnout. It's a common thing. I would constantly pick up a drop FFXI ever since it was first released.

You're forgetting-

>items and gear were much better
>crafting took longer but had MUCH more utility
>repair skills were a profitablee skill to have
>combat had quite a bit more depth (though some of it didn't make sense, like the skill chain effects)
>cooking was FAR more useful
>music was much more appropriate for setting atmosphere
>belts
>story was much, much, much better than what they shit out in ARR
>skills and class missions were better

And there's all those little things like the graphics and the leve effects.

One thing that I enjoyed through 1.2x was the combo system. Combos generally worked the same as they do now, but with a few key differences:

>the first WS cost TP, but every subsequent WS (as long as it was part of the same combo and met positional requirements) was TP-free
>there was a very satisfying audio/visual feedback cue when a combo advanced successfully

When the pacing of combat changed in ARR, these went by the wayside. Elemental resistances also mattered in 1.2x in a way that doesn't matter at all now. For example, MNK's fists dealt elemental damage in addition to the fist effect; there were times when it was better to use Fists of Wind because the elemental vulnerability of the target was greater than the simple damage bonus from Fists of Fire.

at least it was unique and not a wow clone

It did a lot more to bring people together too. Very much like XI in that respect. It was a very socially demanding atmosphere. ARR is basically a single player game with a monthly fee.

there are still audio and visual cues when you combo

I could only do 2 weeks of 1.0 before quitting. It was pretty shitty. I dont know how people did 3 months of this shit. but id say 1.0 was worth it because of legacy mark.

>Materia
In 1.0, materia types were more diverse. You had materia that modified enmity, TP, HP, MP, in addition to the primary and secondary stats. Furthermore, jobs received benefits from two stats instead of just the one. MNK, for example, benefitted from both STR and INT--it wasn't uncommon for MNKs to walk around with hypermelded hats with huge piles of INT materia.

Melding was also more risky and kept the crafting economy booming. All non-accessory crafted gear could be melded 5x maximum with the expected risk factors (more and larger materia decreased the odds of successive melds). However, failure to meld would mean losing literally everything: the equipment, the new materia, the catalyst and every piece of previously melded materia. It was a high-risk, high-reward scenario. On the one hand, you could sink tens of millions into a single character slot. On the other hand, successful melding could create gear better than the best R/EX gear available.

Yes, show me where the story SHOWS me something instead of characters insisting that a change happened in dialogue. I'm asking for competence, for actual results, not the story going "don't worry we didn't fuck up" and failing to actually do anything with it. Some jackass patting Lyse on the back and going "ah yes, you are truly a leader now" is not her learning things from Doma and using those things to inspire her people. It's the writers realizing they failed to do anything with her and hastily insisting that they actually did. We've seen characters in this story act and change based on things that have happened to them, from Alphinaud to Thancred to Urianger to Estinien, even Tataru. Show me where Lyse has her moment of implementing what she learned on her journey. Show me the part where she realizes the foolishness of her arrogance and becomes more cautious and capable by her own hands. Show me where she realizes that her carelessness and vanity has cost her what she cares about most and dedicates herself tirelessly to her work, rejecting the revelry and fun she once craved. Show me where, inspired by her grandfather's sacrifice and the compassion of others, she casts aside her cynicism and becomes more proactive and compassionate.

Show me Lyse learning and growing through what she does, not what some dialogue box says.

The only things better about 1.0 were the skill systems, the emphasis on horizontal progression, open world content and the pace being slower.
Everything else, and I mean everything, was worse.