Are video games art?

Are video games art?

Attached: VIDEO GAMES.jpg (1024x683, 335K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/5uadq
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes. But they're low-quality composite art where everyone is doing it as a day job. They're children's toys first and foremost, this is why gameplay is king.

Chloe Moretz with a shocked face in a thai resturant.

>disgustedpablo.jpg

No and i don't want them to be art. They're supposed to be toys to waste some time, i don't want pretentious critics and journalists flooding the industry.
All they want is to "elevate" the medium, by removing the actually fun parts and make it more like cinema

did someone actually paint this or was this generated on some website? neat either way.

Attached: chloe tat.jpg (634x708, 296K)

Yes. They're high quality art that some phone it in for and some put immense passion into. First and foremost is immersion.

if something is created with the intention for it to be art, it's fucking art.

Attached: som.jpg (1392x1976, 3.25M)

By definition they are

I recognise that homosexual fellatio

Attached: 1481938177906.png (720x644, 31K)

Yes but fuck art.

Art for art's sake. Art is supposed to be disconnected from morality, financial values and any form of intention other than beauty.
Vidya don't fit into this definition

Video games can have art in them, but video games aren't a medium.

That excludes the vast majority of video games. Not to their fault, of course. It also excludes the vast majority of anything made for entertainment.

They can be, but most are products. Even the ones people claim are 'art' are mostly products.

Such kino promo art
What the fuck went wrong after Legend of Mana?

Yes. But it doesn't matter.

But they do.
Not everyrhing is AAA shit

>art is about beauty

Attached: 550.png (207x243, 6K)

Stop obssesing over the need for sequels. Stop calling videogames "franchises". Having only one game in a "series" is ok.

vidya by definition is a toy
It's like calling G.I joes art

If a person put a lot of effort and passion into making an action figure then that is also art.

A lot of effort and passion goes into designing and producing cars, the Volkswagen your mom drives is not a piece of art

its computer 99% sure, judging by the edgework

It is technically.
Stop having such a romanticized view of art.

in the eye of the beholder
like anything and everything

Attached: 1549140190263.gif (60x95, 24K)

What are you talking about retard

so everything is art then?

Everything that has passion and creativity pit into it, yeah. That is LITERALLY the definition.

Yes, but it's a pretty low art form, and the people who try and elevate it to a higher status than it is are mostly retards who have no idea what the fuck makes a video game good (artistically or otherwise).

kino

Attached: shishkin.jpg (1200x760, 291K)

>Art is supposed to be disconnected from morality
No

>art is for art's sake
>art is about beauty
Way to contradict yourself, faggot

Right, those games.

Attached: 449116-eye-of-the-beholder-ii-the-legend-of-darkmoon-amiga-screenshot.png (640x400, 17K)

streamable.com/5uadq
Video games are the pinnacle of art. You need a 200+ IQ to truly appreciate them.

Attached: L U D O.webm (640x360, 2.81M)

Elaborate so I can tell you why you're wrong.

I fucking love blobbers

Which ones do you like the most, user?

i love shishkin's art, his work soothes my soul

Art does not really exist as a thing, on it's own. There is no "Art" with a capital A.
People try too hard to crush other works or artists saying "it's not real Art you see" "It's just a game, it's just a scribble, it's just a tool". It means nothing. There is no Art. Only Artists.

In that sense anything can be art but if you want to understand what differentiates and separates a postcard painting from a Klimt sitting in Guggenheim museum, then you look at the artists.
It is their intentions, their vision and the processes they use to create that defines a work of art. In that sense some games will have high artistic value, and some won't. The same way some paintings only exist to illustrate an ad whilst some others will evoke overwhelming feelings and be recognized as great works of art.

Of course people are allowed to hierarchize artists or works by the various mediums that exist. In that context you might have a point in saying videogame is a medium with poor artistic value as a vague generalization, due to the medium being centered around the concept of “games” which require usually goals, or perharps due to it's industry and focus on entertainment rather than artistic expression. But once again, it is all about the artists and what they make of it, and art itself is just a vague meaningless buzzword.

Attached: shadow-of-the-colossus-02-gq-1feb18_b.jpg (1440x960, 177K)

but intentions can be lost. people have already simplified it for you in the last century. "If you say its art, then its art."

no its a movie

Attached: kojimo.jpg (976x549, 70K)

No video games aren't art they're a waste of time.

wtf are you talking about you silly wanker?
gibberish in its purest form you dumb twat

Attached: kek.jpg (790x768, 49K)

Civilization is a waste of time

Video games can be art by definition. Everyone who says that they can't be art is objectively wrong.

Is my drawing art?

Attached: Untitled.png (602x551, 19K)

No, it’s kitsch.

How do I make art?

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (1023x986, 80K)