Can anyone recommend me a good magic the gathering game that isn't arena?

can anyone recommend me a good magic the gathering game that isn't arena?

Attached: mtg.png (1280x365, 158K)

Magic: The Gathering Online is 10 times worse and not free to play at all but lets you play with 99% of the cards that ever made it into the game

There's always Shandalar, too. That game is classic but very old.

Arena is great, though. Why don't you want to play that?

played it and it's heavly P2W

Why would you play any other?

Git gud, scrub. I haven't put a single god damn cent on this game.

Attached: lol.png (366x166, 40K)

good for you but i want a single player game

Shandalar it is, then, if you don't mind old stuff.

>played arena
>everyone is just using flavor of the tournament decks

why am I not surprised.

"mtg forge"

quest mode is pretty much shandalar with modern cards and such

Attached: 1359817565199.jpg (842x1191, 188K)

What do you expect from card game cucks. 90% of them have room temperature IQ.

>and it's heavly P2W
The very concept and core of MTG is pay to win, user. How are you somehow not aware of this?

Unlike MtG irl of course

The good thing about card games and their meta drone playerbase, is that it's quite easy to meta break and farm them. I got to mythic using Grixis midrange and farming mono red and esper control drones

>It's another "Johnny flaunts his dick with his 48% WR jank deck"

It's true though. Most players on the ladder are carried by their decks not their personal skill. Just beat the decks,

>tfw I used a cheap ass upgraded Vraska Regal Gorgon planeswalker deck and win 50% of the time

I usually get my ass handed to me but god damn is it nice when I beat these tourno decks

Here are you options:
Paper MTG: Constantly increasing in price and requires friends but potentially an investment
MTG Arena: F2P but only standard and -extremely- meta driven
MTG online: Paper Magic but much cheaper and easier to get games, but almost no investment potential
Xmage: bad interface and complicated, 100% free
Cockatrice: ????

Attached: 1553550439433.gif (320x245, 1.89M)

Arena blows. I spend $50-$100 building modern decks on MODO

>Want to play more Magic
>Already did my daily quest and got all 15 daily wins so I force myself to wait for tomorrow
Every time

Attached: 2292331441317d7492a9c3a19bcef9f9.jpg (236x225, 6K)

imagine playing a game for fun

>tfw no ravnica tactics game

Attached: 1511599140791.png (454x418, 237K)

You can just do Constructed Event for single cards.

No way, I'm hoarding up my gold for WAR drafts.

Well you get back your Gold after like 4 or 5 wins in Constructed Event? Anything after that is extra Gold, not to mention 3 rare cards or something.

Too risky, I'm not that good. Even though I'm playing tranny blue.

Also, Bo1 sucks.

Yeah but i want sibgleplayer games like shandalar

>friends and I get into magic irl
>we're all shit in the beginning, just using free premades from the magic shop
>still have fun
>we all start making our own decks
>usually jank as fuck but some slight competency
>always play just for fun
>friends start getting much more invested in their decks
>suddenly they start using tourney quality decks on our just for fun magic nights
>they invite some of their new magic tourney friends over to play
>even more bullshit, we're talking turn 2 or 3 wins
>game is no longer just for fun anymore
>regret spending hundreds on cards

Competitiveness kills fun.

But didn't you enjoy your fun times with Magic before your friend went off the deep end?

>Competitiveness kills fun.
it doesn't, games based around p2w and copying strategies from the internet kills fun

>everyone is just using flavor of the tournament decks
Like every single other online card game. If you wanna play jank then go into unranked or find other to play with who also wanna play off-meta stuff. It's like going to FNM and expecting people to not bring competitive decks.

same experience and feelings
I still enjoy drafts and have absolutely no interest in constructed

I just miss the good times.

Attached: 1529229575212.jpg (500x217, 34K)

Limited is nice to prevent this.

My buddy went Deep on buying up all the best shit and regretted it because he became 'that guy'.

He eventually just used his huge collection to make his own cube that we play with now. Cool guy.

>used to play commander alot with friends
>2 of them got really invested in magic
>started wanting to do standard
>we tried but they kept using tournament decks on us and we couldn't keep up money wise
>we go back to commander
>one shows up with a completely foiled mill commander deck
>the other one spent $1500 plus on his
>always came down to either one of them winning

Haven't played paper magic in almost a year now...we use to just make fun decks but the dark times have rolled through.

Play drafts, ya pinheads. That format is always fair and self-correcting and you can't win it by out-spending the competition.

Why did you lie about it being P2W, tho?

>Me and friends get into MTG irl
>We only play casual, the most "competitive" out of all of us has a barely functionnal cheerios deck
>I start getting much more into it than them
>study tons of modern strategy and deckbuilding techs made by pros, learn the basic maths behind what makes decks work & get into modern deckbuilding strats essentially
>play at events all the time, become a decent tourneyfag
>Still play the jankiest shit or barely coherent flavor decks that I'm trying to balance into playability with my friends
>End up having a lot more fun

I guess I'm your friend who became a tourneyfag, except I actually like playing casual more than I do competitive ?

i didn't lie about it being p2w
and i hate how someone can beat me by spending money on a shit game

It isn't P2W, though. Literally just git gud.

YOU KNOW WHAT?
FUCK ALL OF YOU NIGGERS
I'M GETTING MTG ARENA

Not that user, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's people who go ultra competitive and then refuse to play on your level because they spent over 5 grand on their ultra meta deck and get autistically frustrated when they lose without it. On top of that if they get immediately assblasted they concede straight away but if you do anything of the sort they'll get all pissy even though you may as well walk away because they're just doing their 10 turn long discard removal combo that is "totally recoverable."

This is exactly what's wrong with a lot of the mtg playerbase. There's nothing wrong with being able to create your own unstoppable deck and assblasting fags in tournaments, but when it's just you and a few buds fucking around on a saturday night, there's absolutely no reason to be that guy.

This. Quest mode and tournaments are fun.

you want to play magic for free without getting creamed by a foiled out esper control deck?
Input the free codes available into the redemption thing in the shop:
>PlayRavnica (case sensitive)
>PlayAllegiance (case sensitive)
>Starterstyles
>SuperScry
>ParallaxPotion
>FoilFungus
>SparkleDruid
>ShinyGoblinPirate

Don't play ranked. Stick to the intro decks, they're fun and you'll most likely be paired with other intro decks. Grind out dailies (or at least the first 4 wins, thats where most of the rewards are loaded) and the intro experience.
Eventually you'll get enough gold to draft (fun to learn, better use of gold if you can go even in wins) or open pack if you dont want to draft. Open enough and you'll get their replacement for a lack of trading in this game: Wildcards.
Use the wild cards to either upgrade the intro deck you like the most and have fun with it OR save enough to build up a Mono blUe deck or a Mono Red deck and climb the ladder with it. Both those decks are the most easily crafted decks and can definitely get you to mythic.

Attached: F5882B38-EA76-4E47-9AAE-2B9F106D6C8D.jpg (344x446, 62K)

based