Tfw

>tfw

Attached: 1321627871605.png (988x703, 31K)

Realistically how would you solve this issue?

On rails game.

Not blocking the way back

Dead Space fixed it by telling you the exact path on the ground you need to follow.

By saving before walking into the next zone.

savescum

make it obvious when you're going down an optional or secret path or when you're about to enter a cutscene. I'm not sure how you could do that without breaking immersion or ruining the feeling of exploration though

I was playing Lichdom Battlemage recently, that game has a button you can press to show you the path to go onward, so I'd use that every time I got to a crossroads and would pick the other path for loot.

You can fix this by showing the exit and then having the camera backtrack through the level while the countdown for the level to start ticks down. That way as you go you know you've found a secret when the path is different.

>tfw happened like 3 times during The Missing J.J.

Attached: 1549159083862.png (480x530, 78K)

The worst part is when I know I don't even need the items, but still feel compelled to gather them.

>never take control away from the player
>make the game one big map
>use environmental cues to make the intended story path clear
done

Attached: ez.png (988x703, 32K)

Literally ruins game for me.
Thumbs up if you drop from bridge after snake kill in Sekiro

Attached: 1412658454974.jpg (600x715, 191K)

Literally every DOOM game has a perfect system for this.

Open world.

This has been solved in JRPGs for years by including minimaps and NEVER FUCKING EVER having dead ends with nothing along the route.

maybe like a blood smear on the wall you're supposed to go?

Confirmation prompt for points of no return.

Only correct answer so far.

Start the level with a "Make it to the X room"

and at the tunnel put a big sign that says "X room"

so you know that it's the end and you can go explore elsewhere if you'd like

damn an actual intelligent post

Most games nowadays use lighting cues to keep you moving the right direction. Some other kind of environmental design can be used for side areas

Remove the blue arrow

lel

high iq answers

In God of War Atreus always walks towards the objective but he'll always wait for you, so you can just use him as an indicator of where not to go if you;re looking for loot (which is a really fucking good idea because there is shit to loot everywhere)

Xenoblade made it obvious by sticking event flags on the map where an event would trigger.

Attached: more like this.png (2120x1284, 56K)

Literally this. It may seem a little too simple and stupid but it works.

Someone make a trolley problem out of this.

this

Don't play shitty games.

Well, Dark Souls solves this by using fog walls.

There's still a couple of times where there isn't a fog wall for a boss, but I agree that FromSoft games don't have this issue.

Nino Kuni 2

fixed it for you

Attached: file.png (988x703, 27K)

>the office levels in F.E.A.R. around where you meet that fat fuck

Attached: wrg36eryd.gif (200x202, 139K)

I always chose the one that progress and miss the loot

Close.

never happens to me because i don’t play weebshit

Forgot pic.

Attached: FTFY.png (988x703, 34K)

To be fair, there's usually only no fog wall the first time you enter those boss fights, and most players will likely die on their first attempt at those bosses.

This is the only truth in the universe.
Accept this and nirvana will be yours

Okay you're right. And it gives player sense that they explored the whole area before moving on to the long path.

>in JRPGs
JRPGs are the first one still doing this shit

I love how actively avoiding your primary goal has become a universal behavior across games. I understand why, so you don't miss item's/XP/content/etc. and it makes complete sense. Still it's amusing.

And maybe put difficult enemies in the non-locked path so that that if the player runs through that area again they can feel as though they've discovered a way around them.

That'd only work if the character can open doors in that game. Otherwise it should be a higher ledge or something where the one way door is.

Fear had such terrible map design. The combat was fun but man, those were some boring ass hallways.