Finally get to me Botw

Wtf Yea Forums lied to me yet again.... thid game is great

Attached: 9DD6FB47-02FA-472B-87E3-A0496254AFA5.jpg (764x401, 44K)

It was way better than Skyward Sword.

Attached: SS.gif (768x432, 2.99M)

It’s literally just one faggot who keep crying about botw

This is like the best game of the console gen, whoever doesn't like it is a nigger

mediocre

definitely not but it is good

Any other fun exploration game on the Switch?
fuck off, Todd

>on the Switch
Nah. Should have gotten a Wii U instead.

Attached: 1449525545395.png (1921x1080, 3.32M)

There's not a lot. Odyssey, Xenoblade, Hollow Knight and Dark Souls are the obvious ones if you've somehow avoided playing them until now.

BotW is an absolute masterclass in game design from arguably the best video game developer in the world.

People will always have opinions of course. And while BotW isn't perfect, it does come pretty damn close.

Nintendo's achievement is more impressive when you consider that this was their first ever attempt at the modern open world genre and the fact they coded it on a fucking Wii U.

Xenoblade is probably the only good Wii U game, except maybe smash 4 (which is now irrelevant)

Dragon's Dogma releases in a few weeks.

Most of Yea Forums likes it though. Even those who find it overrated still think it's an alright game at the very least. Something more relevant to the thread topic would be, i don't know, No Man's Buy or something.

Attached: D2sFFzJWkAYkpKQ.png (800x450, 121K)

>Controlling Elma
Wait you can do that? Or is it a hack?

>Xenoblade is probably the only good Wii U game
*blocks your path*

Also, Breath of the Wild is also on Wii U, if OP wanted open world exploration games, the Wii U has the best two of the generation, as well as the only AssCreed worth playing (Black Flag), while the Switch will only have the literal worst AssCreed (III) and only BotW and Skyrim as far as open worlds go. The Wii U also has a larger piracy pool, is able to play all console Nintendo games from NES to Wii U as well as all handheld Nintendo games from Game Boy to DS. It also has better, free online, Netflix and an actual virtual console library

Attached: 99W.png (500x329, 96K)

Cool bro. Think I might get a Wii U. What games are coming out for it this year?

user, you can control literally anyone outside of story missions that force you to play as Cross, just change who's the party leader.

Playing as Elma also allows you to abuse her Shadowrunner aura to sneak pass enemies undetected even if you want to try another class tree than Fullmetal Jaguar on Cross, same with playing as Doug to abuse Geolibrium through hazardous terrains without going Galactic Knight yourself.

Breath of the wild and Skyrim both look like shit on Wii U, my gf got it for me on Wii U when it came out and I literally couldn’t play it for more than 2 hours because it looked so bad, a few months later I got a switch and the experience was 100 times better, botw was made for the switch

>Think I might get a Wii U. What games are coming out for it this year?

Attached: 1554151053484.gif (300x266, 2.73M)

The hate against BotW on this board has nothing to do with BotW itself.

The hate comes from the fact that its a NINTENDO game.

Posts like this make me realize that people probably went through all of XC1/XCX/XC2 not knowing you could control all the other characters.

>Put actual thought into level design while designing an open world instead of just making it a bunch of copypasted terrain that leads from one icon to the next
>Rely on eye-catching landmarks and fun movement options to encourage exploration instead of relying on some dotted line to just string you from one +20EXP icon to the next

>"WHOOOOOOOOOOOA IT'S A REVOLUTIOOOOOOOON WOOOOOOOOOW"

Open world devs have been lazy. Breath of the Wild has tons of flaws being the Zelda team's first open world and it certainly shows, it's just that open world genre has been so incestuous and shit the past decade that Nintendo had a free win and a free 95+ metascore coming into the genre with fresh eyes.
Still love the game of course.

Disagree, plenty of Zelda fans are disappointed with it.

It's an open world game first, and a Zelda second, throwing out most of the Zelda conventions such as dungeons, puzzles and items like the hookshot.

It's good but lacking in some critical areas. Since the game has been out a while and this is Yea Forums you mostly see nitpicking and bait.

I wouldn't say it's a masterclass in game design when its brightest feature is just a good implementation of systemic design to contrast with recent games not doing that coupled with the fact that Open World in recent times has been more of a cost saving measure than anything really ambitious and BotW doesn't go overboard on the mistakes that those developers have been making.
>Coded on a Wii U
Would honestly have been better if it had stayed Wii U exclusive instead of removing features that its core design depended on just so that it would have Switch parity. The whole game seems based around having a touchscreen menu always at your fingertips, having to pause to navigate those menus regularly is a pretty obvious flaw.

The bait comes from the fact that its a Nintendo game. It's difficult to hate the games for being Nintendo games when emulation of their consoles recently hasn't even waited for their life cycles to end.

>It's an open world game first, and a Zelda second, throwing out most of the Zelda conventions such as dungeons, puzzles and items like the hookshot

I'm a longtime Zelda fan, I used to be a moderater on Legendofzelda.com and I met my qtpi wife through Zelda and even painted Zelda art for my baby daughter's bedroom.

BotW is one of my favourite Zelda games ever. Its the Zelda game I always wanted.

BotW has ALL the hallmarks and traits of Zelda, just with a different spin and its far closer to the spirit of the original Zelda game than just about any other in the series.

Loved it. Made me feel things I thought I'd never feel again. However it has some major problems.

>Puzzles too easy
I could write a fucking essay on this, but I'll try and boil it down. Basically
--Shrines are so self-contained that the entire scope of the puzzle is obvious. The hardest puzzles in Zelda have always been those that have multiple rooms interact, which shrines don't utilize. This is also why Camel is easily the best ( and most difficult ) Divine Beast.
--Magnesis and Stasis are too revealing. They straight up highlight the solution. It goes from "How do I solve this puzzle" to "Find the highlighted object in Magnesis/Stasis mode"
--Some are just outright jokes and Nintendo got lazy

>Story
On the verge of being good, just never quite makes it

>Armor
Upgrading armor quickly makes the game trivial. It's also disgusting how good the soldier outfit is, with its only trait being that it has a shitload of armor.

>ALL the hallmarks and traits of Zelda
Like dungeon crawling and hidden caves?

>the spirit of the original Zelda game
Implying that the dungeons weren't the core objective of the original game.

Completely agreed.

The problem is that almost all other open world devs were just iterating on the ‘OPEN WORLD!’ genre. Because that’s what it became during 7th gen, it’s own genre defined by a very specific way of handling quests, story progression, and exploration. Barely anyone tried to do anything unique with it, it was either a GTA/Ubisoft/Witcher/Skyrim style world not worth exploring and with linear missions, or a full Minecraft style sandbox. No one was thinking of how to do their open world, they just copied successful games the same way shitty devs copy the Souls death mechanic and apply it to games it doesn’t fit in.

Nintendo was smart and just made a game about exploring an open world and designed the game around that, without trying to follow the conventions of the genre that never ever worked in the first place. They realised it’s just a way of structuring a game and did their own thing with it. Linear games aren’t their own fucking genre and neither should these be.

BOTW really isnt that bad on wii u. Skyrim is though

Almost everything would have been better than Skyward Sword.

>Like dungeon crawling and hidden caves?

Um yes?

>Implying that the dungeons weren't the core objective of the original game.

Implying that the core design of the original games wasn't focused on player freedom and exploration of the unknown. Implying that BotW doesn't have dungeons and puzzles.

false, but whatever.

Attached: 1554182558379.jpg (549x556, 138K)

I liked it at the time. But once I had done the dungeons and beaten the game, there was very little to draw me back in. Collecting seeds and doing shrine puzzles didn't really interest me.

>Explore structures built for various purposes, by various different creators, with different aesthetics, gimmicks and eccentricities with a multitude of puzzles often using the breadth of the space provided to test if not challenge your spatial awareness
>Explore underground rooms that you get to by elevator that were all made by weeaboo Japanese game designers to test you (and only you because you're the chosen one), they all have the same aesthetic and offer a paltry amount of puzzles if not just a single puzzle that is usually obvious from the outset due to the presentation giving it away
Even if you go by the design principles of the earlier games it's not too similar.
It's also quite difficult to have a game based on the exploration of the unknown when the game so quickly establishes what you should expect at every point of interest.

>BotE
>dungeons
Can you point them out for the class?
>inb4 user points to the mini version of a mini dungeon

>Implying that the core design of the original games wasn't focused on player freedom and exploration of the unknown.
There is some freedom, but the game still gives you specific ways that it is meant to be beat, glitches aside. By having these limits, you have a sense of accomplishment when you finally beat something. BotE on the other hand simplifies ALL exploration to climbing the highest area to glide from and almost all puzzles are reduced to a single trick that works almost constantly, such as freezing an object to hit to another part of the room. Seriously I'd be surprised if at least 98% of the "puzzles" aren't doable in this manner.

>exploration of the unknown
>unknown
This is the worst part. The game's exploration is so formulaic that there isn't much "unknown". Even "new" enemies that you run across aren't "unknown" because they are most likely just a reskin of the same exact enemies you ran across somewhere on the plateau.

Fuck why can't these idiot developers learn to cut map sizes down to like 25% of their size and focus on actually filling the maps with more unique things to do?

The Zelda fans who hate BotW only hate it because they’re blinded by their own fanboyism. They’re ignorant to what actually constitutes a good video game.

I’ll admit I was disappointed when I heard BotW would be missing the hook shot, items from dungeon chests, and dungeons, but when I actually played the game, I realized that these things weren’t needed to make a Zelda game good.

Dungeons in Zelda turned to shit after MM (exception being Link Between Worlds). There’s just something not fun about replaying a dungeon for which you already know all the puzzle solutions. Anyway, Zelda puzzles are largely fucking brain dead easy anyway. The shrines were a good compromise, although some variance in their design would be nice.

I refuse to believe that anyone can say BotW is flawed and then unironically defend the stale tripe that is Skyward Bore and Twilight Snoozefest

>Explore structures built for various purposes, by various different creators, with different aesthetics, gimmicks and eccentricities with a multitude of puzzles often using the breadth of the space provided to test if not challenge your spatial awareness

What the fuck? Please point out where this is in NES Zelda please.

> they all have the same aesthetic and offer a paltry amount of puzzles

Like NES Zelda? Please tell me all about your favourite dungeon from NES Zelda. Go on, tell me which one.

>having these limits, you have a sense of accomplishment when you finally beat something.

BotW gives you one objective; beat the bad guy in the castle. Working out how to do that based on nothing but my own wits and skills gave me an amazing sense of accomplishment.

As usual, both you two shitters back yourselves into a corner by desperately trying to retcon in your minds what other Zelda games were actually like.

If you consider 0 replayability OK this game is an easy 9/10

How to use shield with Gamecube controller???

Attached: 1554608855734.png (233x216, 8K)

0 replayability

>can literally challenge the boss at the very beginning of the game or at any point in the game, forging your own path to the end

Name one other game that offers more replayability, other than roguelikes and procedurally-generated games

Are you upset kiddo? Seems like it.

>game

Attached: disaster of the wild13.webm (1920x1080, 2.46M)

lmao you're mentally ill

BotW destroyed Yea Forums

Sorry for absolutely destroying the legacy of your generic Ubishit forever...

YIKES, its been more than two years and you're still traumatised.

Oh wow haha

Attached: OPENWORLDv.2.png (1920x1080, 935K)

I used to think that too, for the first hour or two. Then you see the game is exactly the same in every following hour. Same enemies, same boring quests, same rewards.

>the game is exactly the same in every following hour. Same enemies, same boring quests, same rewards.

Yawn. Why talk shit on the Internet. Next you'll be trying to tell us we've seen everything in Super Mario World after the first few levels. Its shame you're so upset so feel the need to lie.

Don't worry. about 20 hours in you'll realise it's nothing but a tech demo set in a huge open world that's too big for its own good with fuck all to do because there's almost no main content and it only has a few shitty minigames thrown in. 95% of the game is spent running around.
The 4 main dungeons/bosses will take you half an hour each at most.
Physics engine is fun to fuck around with though.

Do you want upvotes with that Reddit tier post, friend?

It set a new high benchmark for open world game design - it mde nearly every other open world game seem redundant archaic overnight - and now every open world game will be measured against it for the forseeable future.

>It set a new high benchmark for open world game design
How so? The world seemed empty and boring to me. It also felt too big.
The only impressive thing about this "game" are the physics. Everything else seemed half-assed.

This game was too good for Wii U.

>2 years later
>coping this hard still

Attached: certified sweetie.gif (250x250, 141K)

>How so? The world seemed empty and boring to me. It also felt too big.

I could list a ton of things in the game but why bother?

>Everything else seemed half-assed.
You seriously have no understanding of game design or the gargantuan effort it must have taken for Nintendo to get a game this complex built from ground up to run on a fucking Wii U with the level of polish it has. I'm going to assume you're very young and your opinion is irrelevant to me.

i just got the glider, i don't get what all the hype is about, it seems good for a zelda game, but the graphics are a little disappointing, partly the fault of the hardware guys at nintendo producing underpowered shit though

>liking SS

You've got the master sword.
of course it's that easy you spoon.

>can't name a single thing
OK kid.

>can't name a single thing
>OK kid.

After spending the first few hours of the game on the Great Plateau (probably the best tutorial area in any game ever) here's what I did:

Found the 2nd tower
Climbed the Duelling Peaks and completed the shrines there.
Encountered my first fully functioning Guardian.
Found Kakario and Hateno Villages, each with their own unique culture, lore and side quests to spend hours in.
Caught and tamed a horse and found my first stable
Fought a Dragon on a mountaintop
Travelled to an Island which became an amazing survival challenge all on it's own.
Fighting 3 giant ogre brothers
Ran a gauntlet of enemy camps on the way to Zora City
Zora City itself
A pant-shitting stealth mission on a mountain top to collect arrows from a centaur monster
Using those arrows in a one-on-one battle with a giant mechanical beast in a lake while riding on the back of a merman
Conquering inside of the mechanical beast and subsequent boss battle

While all this is going on I'm constantly engaged with the world around me: weather and climate forces me to adapt to how I travel. The topography and verticality makes getting to destinations fun and engaging. I'm finding subterranean shrines with their own unique challenges and obstacle courses, I'm finding various types of korok puzzles, I'm stumbling into boss battles with huge Rock Monsters, Ogres, Centuars and Skeletal Giants, I'm finding myself ambushed on the road by assassins disguised as NPCs, I'm racing against time to catch falling stars before the sun rises, I'm battling enemy camps, saving local NPCs from danger, and fending off bears and wolves.

All of this happened to me in ONE FUCKING CORNER OF THE MAP.

This "no-content" meme seems to only exist in place of people having a genuine argument against the game.

Do you want me to ahead and list the rest of the world and what I did there? In another two years time will you still be trying to convince the world we all got it wrong?

Attached: 1536661118061.png (1000x563, 693K)

>posts pasta
Pathetic

I don't see anything wrong with this.

at first i enjoyed it, i thought it was pretty good, then the world opens up and you realise just what it is your playing.

another shitty open world game where "the only limits are your imagination"

nice artbook though, only good thing about botw

You shouldn't as this game is made for kids and you're clearly a manchild.

At least I'm capable of enjoying a good game, a thing that an autist like you isn't capable of.

>a good game
It was a decent tech demo. Good for you though kid.

Its my pasta. I'll keep posting it because seething shitters like yourself have no argument. You never had any argument. You desperately want to try and prove something which is impossible for you. Its been two years. Why don't accept defeat and move on. Maybe cry about Super Mario Odyssey for two years hmm?

>keeps repeating "it's bad" without saying why
>he's not the kid

All you do is parroting what other people spam on this shit site

Nigger all that shit takes less than 2 hours to complete if you subtract the 12 hours of walking and traveling in between.
>Its my pasta
So YOU'RE that one nigger who's in every BotW thread defending it every way you can while clenching your butthole in order not to shit yourself out of seething rage because you can't handle the fact others thought it was just "meh".
Explains a lot famalam.

>hey actually I realized more people on Yea Forums agree with you
Ever consider the fact these people may have a point? Take off your ninty glasses for 1 second, please.

>defending it every way you can while clenching your butthole in order not to shit yourself out of seething rage because you can't handle the fact others thought it was just "meh".

lmao you silly angry boy. You have to wake up every day in a world where BotW is considered one of the greatest games of all time and there's nothing you can do.

The mental anguish must be unbearable for you. No wonder you've wasted two years of your life crying about it for nothing. Your seething jealousy has created a prison from which you can never escape. Two years. Rent-free in your warped mind. Jesus.

>>Armor
>Upgrading armor quickly makes the game trivial.
I wonder what armor and upgrade level I should choose to mitigate this.
On my first playthrough, I used the knight armor on level 2 for the longest time and that was already sufficient. On my second run I didn't upgrade any armor but then I got one-shot by many enemies.
What's a good balance?

Projecting much?
I was just asking what makes this game good.
You proceeded to be a dick about it and not give me any valid reasons. Then you posted some stale pasta.
You just seem mad over the fact not everyone prematurely ejaculates at the thought of this game like you do.

You got BTFO bro, stop trying to backtrack. Its over. Might as well close the thread and go cry in the shower.

>bro
underage confirmed

Yeah it's pretty great for the first 20 hours or so, then it becomes garbage

Most Zelda games don't even last 20 hours. I played more than 200 hours and loved every minute. I still go back to it occasionally. Amazing game.

Yeah some people just enjoy eating shit

yikes, all the dungeons in this game are copy paste, really just bad

>Disagree, plenty of Zelda fans are disappointed with it.

The 3D Zelda fans who dislike it weren't going to accept anything but the pre-established OoT formula every game had.

Yikes!

Attached: the-legend-of-zelda-1.jpg (520x390, 60K)

Not him, but I own a Ps4Pro, a (somewhat good) Pc and I can see you're wrong. Shut the fuck up and learn to enjoy good games.

The people who hate BotW are those who can't afford a Switch or have a literal toaster of a PC that can't emulate the Wii U.
BotW looks great, plays great and is an engaging experience.
Can't wait for the new one

this is honestly true. Botw isn't perfect. As first time experience, it can feel like a 9/10. But the further you explore past the game presented, you realize there's lots wrong with it and much that could've been improved easily.

Aside from that, it's game that has carried it's own weight on hype and expectations ever since it was teased. Yea Forums has threads daily and has had them for the past two years. It's a really good game. We don't often talk about shit games.

>still no compelling arguments as to what makes BotW so good
Give it up already.

Some of the haters are just mentally ill shitters who have zero interest in BotW, haven't even played the game and/or have no intention to - they simply cannot stomach seeing Nintendo getting praise.

t. can't get his day started without his shit breakfast

not even worth replying to, but considering every other Zelda had themed dungeons, and BoTW had all the same retarded ass Sheikah style shit with the same boss at the end, yeah BotW is a big yikes

>one guy wanted to say he had fun with a game
>you say it sucks
>I have to give reasons why it doesn't
Go back to kindergarten, please.

Jesus Christ is this really what consolewarriors believe?
wow

BotW had themed dungeons too. Just not how you would expect. I guess you're assmad Nintendo didn't make YET ANOTHER Forest/Fire/Water temple but you seeme to have zero argument beyond "I didn't like the aesthetics".

Boo hoo.

I thought it was pure magic when I first started it too. I suggest doing the bird divine beast first. That power helps exploration a bunch.

That's false because if BotW was just a random open world game made by whoever it would get shitted on even harder, or just totally disregarded.

Ok they were in themed LOCATIONS, but the dungeons themselves were practically identical, dont give me that bullshit. There are thousands upon thousands of theme ideas, yet they used the same one 4 times. How fantastic. Also go fuck yourself you're opinion is objectively wrong

>if BotW was just a random open world game

Thankfully its not.

Attached: Rival_Devs_In_Awe_of_BotW.png (1861x1080, 420K)

But the average open world game is linear. Most of them have an order of progression you have to follow to get to the end. The content is just more diegetic than a game where you progress through a series of levels.

The 'look' of them is the same. But they're not the 'same'. Are you fucking insane? They're all completely different and their design is basee around a different concept each time; water, fire, electricity, wind.

You could argue that the dungeons BotW don't feel as substantial, that they feel quite short and perhaps not a rewarding as a huge story-driven dungeon from previous games. And you may well have a point.

But you're not that smart are you? You're dumb and your arguments are dumb.

You challenged him to name things in the game that you can find and do and he did. The fact that it was done with a pasta is irrelevant. And if you have seen that pasta before, why were you lying about the game being empty?

Bayo 2
Mario Maker
Wool W
Sm4sh
Splat
DKTF
NSMBWU
SMB3DW

even nintendoland was good and innovative

This is the kind of competition that's good for videogames

I hope they challenged other developers to have this mindset when making a game.

I like how Yea Forums told me this game 'fixed' open world games and somehow it's even blander than ubishit.

I'm playing xenoblade 1 rn and while I am fully aware of being able to make any chatacter the party leader I haven't really made use of the feature. Am I missing out?

Boy that bit didn't age well