What is the appeal behind speedrunning?

What is the appeal behind speedrunning?

Attached: broke.png (721x426, 371K)

Probably the memes like JOHN FUCKING NUMBERS.

Who dat

>cursed_image.png

There's two different elements that attract people to speedrunning.

1. Taking your favorite game to its mechanical extreme and turning something traditionally singleplayer into an exhaustive competition until times can hardly be whittled down any more, purely for love of the game.
2. Experiencing the feeling of discovery as you help progress the speedrunning scene by discovering tricks in a new or previously unexplored game. Contributing your knowledge to the general community fosters a sense of resounding achievement in an otherwise isolated hobby

This seems like a good explanation. Now, let me ask you this: why are zero percent of speedrunners functional adults

John FUCKING Numbers is such a chad that he beat his opponent so hard they switched genders.

mental illness

I don't keep up with speedrunning very much, I know a few names here and there because the runners have done some good runs for games I love but I don't even follow them religiously. Some seem well-adjusted, surely there are speedrunners out there who are self-sufficient guys with regular jobs right?

Ego

Who would have thought an activity like playing the same game 1000 times would be dominated by autists

I like seeing games get broken open in interesting ways and seeing high level technical play
I don't like the autistic "personalities" that make somehow make a living speed running
You can see the conflict I have

>surely there are speedrunners out there who are self-sufficient guys with regular jobs right?

I'm not so sure about that one bud

Attached: 1515511121870.jpg (772x662, 77K)

>speedrunners are autists
>autists get tricked into being trannies
>speedrunner community now filled with autistic trannies

i almost beat john numbers in smash 4. almost.

How bout Carcinogen and that one guy that did the Jak and Daxter run, Bonesaw I think?

Attached: tri.png (382x500, 191K)

Who dem

You can see his drugged-out pupils from 30 yards out god damn

Sigh....

Attached: 1525971712982.png (1290x725, 1.46M)

Because once you’ve played a game 100ish times you’ve pretty much figured it all out. Look at Pokémon Red speedruns, they’ve shaved off like 10 minutes over the course of half a decade and 40 mins in a decade. There’s a reason why you’ll see a bunch of games only ran by like 2 dudes

wowee something that is essentially the definition of insanity attracts mentally unhealthy people? colour me suprised

*colore

What the fuck's happened to Cosmo this time?

Because repeatedly striving for a general goal that provides discernible feedback that is easy to interpret (times) appeals to people on the spectrum. It's something they can become familiar with that provides positive reinforcement.
On top of that, for some it's almost a conceptual thing. It's about the "idea" of videogames and the player's purpose being "to beat them", and taking that to it's highest possible method of efficiency through skill, practice, knowledge, and being blessed by whatever gods of luck could possibly exist.

It creates familiar communities where people on the spectrum have expectations that will likely be met when interacting with the community. You ever meet someone who only ever talks to you about a single topic? There's a chance they are on the spectrum and do so because it's a "reliable" way to interact socially that doesn't involve any risk of you not being able to respond. Most "hobby" communities function in this way, because it gives people a "safe" way to get social interaction in a topic they enjoy.
In general, the internet is partly to blame. Unless you make a point to do otherwise, it's very easy for it to feed any mental illness you have, rather than providing you reason to adapt and find coping mechanisms.

Did (it) die yet?

Will you play Narcissa's Game™ created with Godot™ Engine? (featuring aesthetically pleasing penises)

Being the most autistic in the room. Holding WORLD RECORDS

colour you uncultured amerinigger

Did that creature on the right off itself yet?