When did video games lose their soul?

When did video games lose their soul?

Attached: zelda minish cap.gif (500x333, 438K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=09bxZ0fPuVs
youtube.com/watch?v=FpPSF7-Ctlc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The moment that games started to veer design and presentation wise too far out of your perceived notations and nostalgic value

You know that's one of few Zeldas that Capcom made, right?

video games never had soul

Attached: Do24vIhU0AAGY41.jpg (455x425, 39K)

Around the time you became 12.

Attached: 1554573195361.gif (550x731, 130K)

When they became mainstream

OLD GOOD
NEW BAD

minish cap wasn't good you were just a kid at the time, game was short and underwhelming.

Mid 2000s

>links awakening is great
>oracle games are great
>minish cap is great
I'm sensing a pattern

2008-2012

Minish Cap sucks.

Edit: Thanks for the gold Reddit!

Gee, wonder how old you are.

Played Minish Cap for the first time as an adult when it came out on Wii U VC. You're wrong and fuck you for being wrong.

Yeah, Nintendo needs to give other (competent) developers more access to their IPs. Then again considering they approached the Necrodancer guys to make that new game they might already be doing that

Gen 7. Around 2009 - 2011.

Enjoy the future, it's gonna get shittier.

Damn that's accurate

That was pretty surprising. How could you lend your one of most famous franchise to the little indie devs?

This couldn't be more wrong for me but I'm in the minority (literally and figuratively). Since I grew up poor, life was hell and being brown only compounded that hellish life.

>"Pop music is just dumb compared to the sheer fun and exhilaration of the songs from the time when I was young"
2000/2010 kids will never say this at all.

And personally, it is also wrong; the previous decade had better pop music despite I've come to appreciate the pop music from my time without liking it at all. 80's were lit; this is a fact.

Attached: 1537577533658.jpg (960x946, 80K)

The realism meme is what really bothers me. Talk about charmless and uncanny valley UGLY models chasing realism since the PS3 gen. And even next-gen it will still be uncanny valley.

And worse? Many developers abandoned colorful art style fueled videogames for the sake of realism or in some cases transforming their established videogame series into REALISM like Devil May Cry 5.

Because they always wanted realism, the problem was that technology wasn't good enough.

I pray to whoever I can that if they remake minish cap, they don't ruin it with that plastic toy bullshit that they fucked link's awakening with.

>2000/2010 kids will never say this at all.
?????????
speak for urself nigga

Around the time they learned it could become a billion dollar industry.

Then why not invent a new franchise instead of ruining an existing one. To me Devil May Cry should not be this drab grey world filled with lifeless demons compared to the colorful ones found in the previous games. And frankly I don't need Link from Legend of Zelda to look like Legolas from Lord of the Rings. And on that note I don't need Castlevania to pretend to be Lord of the Rings either (Lords of Shadow especially that Lord of the Rings music).

If there's one thing that will kill videogames for me it will be this obsession with realism. Even fantasy games like Final Fantasy are obsessed with making realism, FF7's remake has Cloud looking like a cosplayer wearing a Cloud wig instead of the character looking like the character.

>thinking there was anything redeemable or relevant about any pop culture from 2000 to present

If they remake Minish Cap I pray that they do it in actual 3D. Fuck this overhead shit. Hard to get a sense of scale in a game titled Minish Cap when games like Shadow of the Colossus exist. I just don't respect Nintendo and their bullshit 2D overhead Link Looks Like An Ant bullshit gameplay mechanic.

Even if it's unpopular to say, Legend of Zelda in 2D is shit. I play Zelda games to get immersed in the world itself as you explore the mountains, deserts, forests, caverns, etc. The overhead garbage is just that garbage and also fuck Pokemon for refusing to do this.

when you stopped being a kid, around 16yo
soul is just a meme to shit on new games because you cant wear off the nostalgia glasses its the perfect argument for when you can say exactly WHY you hate the new thing, in the future you will have anons in this board having nostalgia for the first fornite and looking at fornite 3 with despise "it used to be so simple bros"

Would it be a good idea for Nintendo to give 2D Mario to an indie dev, like how Sega did with Sonic Mania?

minish cap is so fucking cool, such a comfy game. still have my copy mint in box. that first part where you enter the town, looks so nice.

Attached: 6fd2ddb3eed0_MinishCap1-4.gif (640x428, 326K)

Nah, modern games can still have soul. Baba is You comes to mind.
Soul is just a very subjective term that everyone knows of in their heart but can't articulate.

I did, fag. Learn to read more than 10 words.

What if my childhood and teens were shit and I'm only now able to enjoy my life
Where the fuck does that put me

Attached: Isabelle Incineroar.png (479x519, 227K)

It's a degenerative process, but it started with the Playstation. You know I'm right.

>play Yakuza Zero last year
>had a blast, full of soul
>play other shit through that year
>bland feel all over the place and as generic as other games with that same UE4 3d graphics full of bloom and darkshit

Yeah, sure, nostalgia googles.

They gave Mario to Ubisoft. There’s probably a lot of oversight and red tape they have to navigate to do anything with their characters. I doubt they just give them the rights with no strings attached, they probably have people overseeing everything.

ive played plenty of old games and some modern games that i would say have soul and did not play during my childhood

2007. Go look up what was considered the best game of each year up to that point, and what is considered the best after. Games started requiring too many people to make, and with a larger team there is less individual touch on the product. Not to mention the massive amount of devs who only jumped in after the big videogame boom who did not have a true passion for it before.

but where is the soul? you just said you had fun with the game and thats totally fine but does it define as having "soul"
thing is, people who sperg out that word dont ever know exactly what it means, so its often used to just shit on new games for no reason

Yeah, I never really liked modern pop music. I think punk rock basically killed music by introducing the meme that you don't actually need talent.

This shit is haunting videogames since PS1 actually and the dumb idea that games are, or should be "mature". Arcade is the true path.

As for DMC, is the damage of DmC and CAPCOM falling for the realism meme. At least, we know the devs in charge are not idiots and in the end change it.

After Halo Reach

When patches and dlc became a thing.
While they fixed bugs after release, companies got greedy and started releasing half done games and locking disc content behind a paywall.

This comic is lost on me because there was nothing good around 2011.

when the game was clearly made with passion and the devs got left to make the game they wanted to make and were able to fully realise their vision instead of publisher tampering to make it a market approved cash cow

2012 the absolute latest

CALarts. Not even joking, it's raising a whole generation to be lazy shits.

I don't know, some games get bad, other games get better, It just is the way of things. For a long time, Sonic couldn't do anything right, then we got Colors, Generations, and Mania. Mavel Vs Capcom was the shit, now it is shit.

The moment games became movies. Nintendo still occasionally makes games with soul, but So(n)y boy zoomers keep shitting on them. Sony is literally THE cancer that is killing video games.

how come old games made on rush to meet a deadline are often praised as games with soul here? Melee is one that comes to mind, Majoras Mask too, "it has so much soul" yet they don't fit the description you just typed

It's crazy to think people look at this beautiful pixel art and think "this needs a remake".

Wouldn't say lazy, just cost efficient.

But you can just say California and you'd be right anyway

MGS is one if my favorite games of all time, but there is no doubt that it ushered in the shit that people call "games" today.

$$$$$$$

dlc.

I'm talking about consumers, not producers. Some dummies out there, really want this remade for some ungodly reason.

there are games which meets this quota yet they're called garbage every time anyone dares to mention them
whats EXACTLY the definition of Soul in games?

PS1 was the switchover point. Nintendo, Sega, Atari, what have you were all video game companies. Sony were an electronics company, with a target audience of people buying CD players and televisions, who had a markedly different approach to the whole video game concept. Not to say the Playstation wasn't a good console, but you can see the rot starting to creep in.

No way fag. Everything was terrible around the time I was 12. Ten years earlier and I would have had the greater freedom and security of a pre 9/11 and world on terror upbringing, ten years later and I would have at least had some decent technology to take the edge off. That may be a testament to how terrible the mid-late 2000s were more than anything else.

who are you quoting there? most of the zelda remakes i see people asking are Link's Awakening, Skywards sword or yet again OOT

all right. all of you shut up, now and listen to me. the only correct and true answer is when AAA games started to become focused around microtransactions and multiplayer, with singleplayer either absent or basically an afterthought. so the very beginning was 'horse armor' and it really got into full swing around 2011-14. don't even try to debate me on this, you know i'm right and i lift weights and can beat any of you up.

My brother for one. He brought it up so casually mid conversation. Like it was just a reality in his world, that Minish Cap should be remade.

I created a thread about it, and a handful of anons agreed. I think there are really people out there, who quietly want Minish Cap to get a remake.

sony was never a big software maker, third parties just switched to PS1 because 700mb low cost production discs and smaller cut for the console maker, they just wanted to get away from nintendo but if nitendo actually made the n64 discs capable you'd have the same garbage from PS1 on N64

Soul is the all package for me and how I see when a company actually tries. Also things like the soundtrack, the little details, how enganging the game can be, how the characters are and how you care for them, how the game tries to be better than the previous one or refining their mechanics, etc.
Going to Yakuza again, Zero had everything it, just nail it and you could see the guys developing the game were enjoying making the fucking game. Now Y6? Generic, forced. YK1 was bland. YK2 felt bland despite seeing they "tried" but it misses the soul of the og Y2.

Then you have things like Zelda's Awakening for the Switch, where you see they are not trying comparing the original game despite its pixels or something like OP's pic. They just want a quick bucket.
Or how Gamefreaks doesnt even try anymore with Pokemon and dont give the next gen step with that series. Or how 3D Sonic is again. Or how SF5 is compared to previous games. Or games that try to be movies because a producer was shit to work on Hollywood. And we could go on and on

did he actually imply he wants the pixel art to go? or he only mentioned he'd like to see it get remade
this kind of game would look excellent with something like ALBW or handraw but we both know the later is never happening

Marketing. Sony brought in an audience of people who would have been put off by how "childish and nerdy" games were prior to that point.

Link`s Awakening is Nintendo EAD, though. And that`s why it is just so much better than the rest.

>Then you have things like Zelda's Awakening for the Switch, where you see they are not trying comparing the original game despite its pixels or something like OP's pic. They just want a quick bucket.
literally just your opinion on the trailer reveal, you have played 0 hours of the final game, save your shittpost for then
but then again, youre only describing a "well made" game, i dont see where the soul is exactly

It is effort, conviction and creativity. Easy.

To put it simple: it's a fucking good game for the most part.

Attached: 1521805326409.png (500x391, 214K)

Yeah, we were talking about the link's awakening remake, and then he says how much he loves Minish Cap, but he felt it wasn't popular enough.
So he wants a 3D remake to make it appealing to a wider audience.
I was so disappointed in him in that moment.

>this kind of game would look excellent with something like ALBW
Oh fuck off. ALBW is ugly.

>or handraw
But why? The pixel art is already super tight. Not a pixel is out of place. Why can't we appreciate the fact that it's one of the the best looking games of its kind?

youtube.com/watch?v=09bxZ0fPuVs
check the comments, we're a year or two out from a wave of "ONLY 2000s KIDS WILL REMEMBER THIS" and it will be obnoxious.

i dont think the marketing for the console has anything to do with the software developers are producing for it, like honestly FFVII was being made for the N64DD and later on moved to PS1
nintendo also had that kind of "hardcore gamers" marketing i guess if you really want to blame anyone try with GTA and PS2 era

Underage b&

The place was a lot less brown when I was 12.

I will keep my shitpostting like I did with Forces and other games that were clearly mediocre despite some saying "just wait for the game to be released faggot!"

this is true in a way I'm not happy to admit.

>When did video games lose their soul?
HD era

>12 years old in 2011
>somehow still under 18 years old in 2019
okay retard

we already have faggots having nostalgia over halo, this board has gone to hell

We are already in it. It's 2019, teenage zoomers that were born at 98-00 are the current generation.

This shit happens when Shinji doesn't get in in the fucking robot.

Never played this game but I like the style

Attached: 239528_pn2.png (1000x574, 980K)

Padded as fuck with the kinstone shit and gachapon, and light arrows being permanently missable being locked off to a random sidequest that gets locked out once you progress far enough is what holds back minish cap.

Gameplay and aesthetic wise it's great.

except sonic forces never looked good
>having faith on 3D sonics after 06 and boom
c'mon user

2007-2010
Its when companies were really able to start throwing stylized aesthetics to the garbage for realism
Not saying all companies did just that it was the major trend

PS2 wouldn't have happened without PS1 though. An audience will dictate what developers make to a large degree. If mature cinematic games are in, and gay baby games are out, then that's how it be.

Imagine an indie dev doing a remake of pic related

Attached: zelda2.jpg (400x309, 50K)

just wait until these kids learn about evagenlion in a few months. Not meaning to gatekeep but it will be genuinely interesting.

>So he wants a 3D remake to make it appealing to a wider audience.
whats wrong with this? remember that you no longer are the target audience for the remake, if you want the original go play that one, he's not wrong from wanting an obscure zelda to get more attention
also handrawn>>>pixel shit any day

eh, there are a shit ton of modern games that have effort put in to them, have conviction in their themes and goals, and are creative in how they are made. Yea Forums still calls them shit and hates them.

To be frank about it; People still only apply the term soul to games made over a decade ago, likely when they were so young that they either weren't very critical of things they consumed, or not exposed to the eternal drama of the internet picking things apart.

If someone is unironically using the soul VS souless argument then they almost always lack any kind of actual understanding of the games and media they are exposed to, and rely on emotional beats and nostalgia to say which games made them "feel" good.

>Sony brought in an audience
They're called the PCocks; the reason why videogames (which are consoles or arcades for the most part) are shit nowadays.

At their time they were called players who wanted different experiences, which it is true in the big picture but not exclusive for a particular group.

Hapened already with the rebuild , Yea Forums is a cesspool since a few years.

it's possible if you are an anime vampire that's 2000 years old but also 11

get over it faggot, no one in this day and age wants to put up with a GBA game, they might get interested in a potential remake that looks more similar to games made today, thats a fact

Between call of duty MW getting that remake and everyone talking about it and that halo collection that was announced for pc a few weeks ago it really slapped me in the face how fucking gay Yea Forums has gotten
Gachafags have become more prevalent to within the last year or two
I would mention VN/walking "game"/nongame people to but Yea Forums has always had some weird population infatuated with them for some fucking reason

>there are a shit ton of modern games that have effort put in to them
Debatable

>have conviction in their themes and goals
Highly debatable

>and are creative in how they are made
Irrelvant since the only thing it matters is the creativity they carry in their gameplay experience (from gameplay itself to presentation). Not if the devs think too high of themselves and try to act like if they were the new Steve Jobs.

>no one in this day and age wants to put up with a GBA game
Wut, people still regularly talk about titles on the system like pokemon/castlevania/dragonball/fire emblem/advanced war/megaman/FFT/

reminder that stealing here is literally the same as stealing in your own life

Attached: free.png (160x144, 4K)

Nah. PC gaming was high autism shit like early RPGs and strategy games, and irreverent gory shooters.

I found my gameboy SP a while ago and played with some Minish Cap again. It has some really excellent sprite work. Off the top of my head there's that cute dog that blocks your path on town. He's got like 15 sprites just for looking at Link in every direction. The game in general is really colorful and the sprites are really lively. I think it's probably a bit easy but it's still a good Zelda game.

I agree that there are modern games that are good and have effort put into them that some would describe as "soul"
Like darkest dungeon or MGR are just two off the top of my head

>he's not wrong from wanting an obscure zelda to get more attention
Minish Cap isn't obscure. Millions of people have played it. And it's got the Zelda name, so many more know about it. It's easily downloadable, so anyone can play it at any time in their lives. There's literally no reason to think it's obscure.

So what's the point of repackaging the same exact game, only with new graphics? You're just going to play the same overworld and same dungeons with new graphics? That's boring as fuck. And if they update the maps, and update the graphics, then why call it a remake. It officially becomes something new.

>remember that you no longer are the target audience for the remake
That's bullshit. What's the point of making it, if you're not trying to get older players to play it. If you wanted to target a new audience, then just make a new game. It's not as if they would care.

The aesthetic of the game, is a key part of the experience. It would be different, if we were talking about some super dated gameboy game. I kind of get why LA is getting a remake. But we're talking about beautiful pixel art. That shit doesn't age. If you want people to get the Minish Cap experience, then just have them play the original, with the comfy pixel art.

Almost all those songs are catchy and fun to listen to. They have great melodies and are also fun to sing.

I think soul is memed into oblivion but I genuinely think it can be used as a descriptor in certain scenarios. I.e a game you love gets a remake which is just made as a cash grab and somehow manages to be much worse than the original despite the only thing needing to be done is putting a fresh coat of paint on something good. I think the Majora's Mask reboot is a good example of no soul, Nintendo hardly tried with that one.

>MGR
That shit was so good it gave me hope for the future... I know way better than that but still, one hell of a ride for a game.

Attached: 1516942232697.jpg (1024x576, 51K)

Wasn't someone working on a fan remake?

Gears of War

What was the last good/real era to be a kid here?

Attached: eraszoomer.png (1400x1039, 3.15M)

Action games in general present themselves with no fear of what they are.
Like Schwarzenegger movies

I swear to god, if any of you fuckers haven't played Wonderful 101..,

Attached: 157696529-1024x1024.jpg (1024x683, 227K)

Crash N sane Trilogy
Spyro Reignited
OR/AS (as much as it hurts me but fuck you Ohmori)
Shadow of the Colossus remake (a fucking disgrace)
The Crash Team Racing one

What else am I missing?

The one where boomzoom didn't exist

You guys are completely wrong. Early Zoomers are now posting nostalgia on social media for the 2007-2012 era. Feels weird because that used to be widely considered the downfall shit era.

Attached: 1549127539779.jpg (740x892, 110K)

Id argue anything in this range is golden age
If I had to limit to a single time it would be during pokemania

Attached: 1554610863446.jpg (1400x1039, 869K)

It's a sixth sense you (and most people) have with regards to a game, work or product being made, and the time, effort, and passion put into it

When they got popular with normalfags. As does everything.

Funny enough, a few weeks ago was at the waiting room for the doctor and the put in the tv (via fagflix) Last action hero. I know somebody nowadays would say it's outdate or any sort of millenial problem complain.

But shit was cash, had almost everything.

This is why any criticism is invalid in the face of fuck you I like it.

beat me up senpai

Yea Forums eternally BTFO

only nintendo lost it
they don't know how to make good looking 3D

>2007-2012
Ooh boy, being a gamer then was shit, all the shovelware the Wii/DS had was alarming. You almost couldn't tell what was a good game and what was shit for little Timmy and Katie to dick with for a car ride. It was also the time where every company was shitting out a war sim or an FPS being rated 9/10 every single fucking time.

Attached: da8dnup-37b24f44-cfe8-4785-a34c-0aacedf81912.png (833x469, 780K)

Around 6th gen
>console FPS starts to become dominant thanks to Halo, PC FPS suffers as a result, industry becomes obsessed with "Halo killers"
>the flooding of WW2 shooters begins
>platformers like Sonic and Jak try to become dark and edgy to chase after an audience of children gravitating away from "kiddie games"
>Square and Enix merge together and start taking years and years to release mediocre games instead of pumping out great titles the way they used to
>Microsoft introduces paid online and overpriced DLC within the same generation
>Blizzard is forever tainted with the wild and unexpected success of WoW, other projects like Starcraft Ghost and Starcraft 2 are either cancelled or shelved in favor of milking the WoW cash cow for all it's worth, MMO devs become obsessed with making "the WoW killer" and the genre starts to go downhill as each game loses its individuality in favor of copying WoW
>the oversaturation of the platformer genre continues throughout 6th gen and eventually results in 3D platformers becoming a rarity as gamers get sick and tired of the genre
>developers start chasing after "muh realism" now that consoles can handle it, games like Killzone and SOCOM are just the beginning of the decline of Sony's first party output
>Nintendo sells Rare to Microsoft
>Konami buys Hudson Soft, kills Team Silent and Team Suikoden
>Capcom creates and kills Clover within the same generation, Mikami and Kamiya wind up leaving the company
>Midway begins to die
>Pandemic partners with Bioware, which would eventually lead to both of them being bought and killed by EA in the following gen
>Gamecube flops horribly which results in Nintendo giving up on traditional consoles entirely
>Korean and Chinese developers introduce overpriced cash shops and gacha/lootboxes

You can fags can meme about soul all you want, but Minish Cap is easily the worst top down Zelda except for the DS games.

Attached: Think about it.jpg (400x300, 20K)

This comic is way off the mark. Music was progressively getting worse when I was 12.
Pop music peaked in the 90's.
A more probable reason for nostalgia is that the good tunes of a decade live on and get replayed endlessly while all the garbage is mostly forgotten. You're comparing different sample sizes and cherry-picking basically.

i'm not entirely sure about that, but all the 2D games are god-tier except for the DS titles so it doesn't really matter lol

Attached: 25275.jpg (435x883, 104K)

Not gonna lie these songs all fucking suck. There's a reason I hated music growing up.
t. 23 year old boomer

>t. person who was 10 in 2007 and had parents who bought him shovelware

what the fuck is "music.cally?"

born in 1998 and i already knew about fucking evangelion. it was alright, nothing too spectacular. my friend the same age as me treats it like the holy grail

>I can't think of a proper adjective for a game that I think has character so I'll just parrot the word Soul

This meme needs to hurry up and run it's course and end

When you lost the battle to nostalgia.

youre just a fucking 90s kid.

Born in 1991 and had a nephew and niece who had those games and also trying to find some good games for the Wii buried under all that shit no one brought.

Attached: 105532_front.jpg (640x901, 118K)

Why is 80s music so damn good?

Buzzwords. You’re easily impressed. These songs are annoying.

>complains about the Wii's rampant shovelware but doesn't let it take away from the great hidden gems like S&P2
based

What's wrong with that? It was the 7th gen, which started in the mid 2000s, when things got really bad.

>thinks his opinion should be everyone else's
>dismisses anything that isn't
nah user, you're just that annoying elitist person no one likes to talk to.

is the overworld really this small

Attached: 5503fad7dc9cef6f9793b731bc9acb73.jpg (3981x3160, 3.9M)

Oh come on, all of them? I'm 23 as well and there's a couple of good ones in there. A lot of it is just radio trash that was beaten into your skull 50 million times a day, though.

to be fair, worshipping the 80s and 90s and not letting zoomers enjoy their own childhoods is pretty elitist lol

Adding on to that, because of the shovelware, Gamestop was actually throwing games out just to make space. An ignorant employee could easily throw out a good or underrated gem for Barbie Funhouse and any other store that carried games pretty much had the same shovelware Gamestop had. Never mind if you wanted to get PS2 games in those bins piled up sloppily without their cases.

Bands are just better than solo artists by default desu, more talent available and these people had to actually be good at what they do and play. Nowadays everything can be hidden and corrected and you don't even need to know how to play an instrument, it's fucking sad. Song writing has also plummeted to chimp tier.

disagreed and retardedly long comic to make one stupid point

Fortnite is a good game though.

Soul never left, it just moved on to high quality niche and indie

I'm 12 and what is this

Like Minecraft though it's like a bugzapper for Normies, bratty kids and autistic shits.

Basically this.
youtube.com/watch?v=FpPSF7-Ctlc

>The moment games became movies.
Over 20 years ago then?

Attached: 515V1G12REL.jpg (500x438, 50K)

>I think punk rock basically killed music by introducing the meme that you don't actually need talent.

Dear god this. I always hated punk for being about image over substance.

>already have faggots having nostalgia over halo

Dude, Halo came out in 2001. You realy need to put that into perspective.

This honestly begs the question why is nostalgia a trait in humans that happens so early in our lives when we can live 10 times longer afterwards? Is it connected to the fact that's the point hormonic maturity happens?

Is this literally just a bodily instinct tied to the moment humans would procreate with others and thus, records this timestamp as the "best moments" of our lives?

Attached: 1501019822906.jpg (409x435, 37K)

huh was that why they were always so different? i really liked that style and the more recent handheld ones weren't the same

People are so eager call nostalgia goggles so they don't have to construct an actual argument. I'm not saying nostalgia's not a thing, but it's not always the answer.

Why do people assume Halo is new? It was old all the way back when Conker Live and Reloaded was referencing it and that was like more than 10 years ago.

When the ps2 won and killed the dreamcast, and segas games didnt make a huge splash on xbox and gamecube. Sega was the one that carried the soul torch. They still do in a way

Attached: 1360898594904.png (439x500, 346K)

I want Yacht Club Games and Good Feel to make an Ice Climbers game!
But no. This generally seems like a terrible idea

>Is this literally just a bodily instinct tied to the moment humans would procreate with others and thus
people have nostalgia for pretty much any point in the past, the ""big"" nostalgia is usually pre-pubescent because you're younger at the time and have had less experiences so it's easier to "wow" you

But I appreciate stuff both from today and from the past

As soon as stock holders showed up

sega was shit and if you grew up as a sega kid then you were def molested and probably raped as a child, lmfao

able to enjoy your life which is better than 99.9% of the tortured souls who post here

Wrong, wrong, and wrong

I was 10 in 2008

Giving a brief glance at the games that came out that year the only one that isn't garbage was Persona 4 and didn't play that until last year. 7th gen in general was pretty ass

I don't have much nostalgia for that time in my life really

Sega died the minute they took their American division behind the barn. The ironing is SEGA was literally an American company that reached out to japan and what happens when the Samurai get a swell head and basically cannibalised the company just because they made so much money off Arcade machines. Being Yakuza whipping boys for Sammy is too good a fate for them.

>Being Yakuza whipping boys for Sammy is too good a fate for them.

Attached: bingo.png (633x341, 365K)

When the following became part & parcel:
>Microtransactions
>Multiplayer
>Annual release schedule
>The rise of the internet and being able to just Google how to solve a problem in a game. Remember how impossible it was to find Feebas in Pokemon RSE?

>Sega's technically an american company
huh, never knew that

TP, Minish and LA are my favorite Zelda games. What does that make me?

A giantess fetishist.

a person with good taste

It only feels small once its zoomed out, but the sprites in the game are fairly proportional to it. It's one of the smallest Zelda games but damn if it isn't pretty.

>Around the time you became 12.
I diagree. However, the further I aged past 12, the more infrequent soulful games were. I can only think of 8 games in the last 10 years that I really had positive reviews of. Shadows of Chernobyl, Dark Souls are just a few of them.

The maps a tiny bit misleading. There's many minish areas and grottoes connecting areas, a section of forest that loops endlessly and that cloud area is literally missing the other 3 parts.

When the real world became boring and soulless. Around 2008

stop with this disingenuous argument
games have also changed, not just us

I don't blame you for MC or LA, one is a beautiful looking game with an amazing soundtrack despite the limitations of the gba, the other has a pretty unique story and setting plus some of the best dungeon design of any zelda game. TP was kind of average to me though, I feel like it tries a bit too hard to be a better OoT but falls short.

Whenever the first DLC was released.

*kills video games*

Attached: horse armor oblivion.jpg (1200x800, 171K)

They never lost it though

It just moved to indie games

Attached: swq.jpg (480x360, 9K)

It's the process of coming of age that creates potent memories.
To most people, your self identity as an adult starts at you when you were 12.

When you became an adult and realized life wasn't always going to be as good as when you were a kid

The release of the N64.

>To most people
Fuck, I am nearly 40, and still consider myself a 16 year old trapped in the body of this guy who can buy cigarettes and beer without issue.

But 12 was around the worst time of my life. I don't have any nostalgia at all, though. I find my current life much better than my childhood.

He's not wrong. That's the sweetspot; good stuff from a golden age of entertainment, able to enjoy the good things from the past and just to experience the last part of the golden age with the gen 6.

>Gen Y objectively best
who knew

Underrated and really accurate.

But I don't particularly like the music from when I was 12, some of my favorite movies I found in my adult years and same thing with games, my tastes have changed since I was 12 so why would I think those things are great?
I know this is geared to the average person that thinks completely relatively, instead of taking in new information and content and constantly reassessing and comparing, which is ironically what this comic is doing.

Watch a few more shows and come back to it later. It's different the second time through and better appreciated the more older shows you have under your belt.

When they went 3D.

It's funny you say that because a good deal of people would complain that Last Action Hero is Arnie's worst and a terrible movie, people that were adults when it came out in the 90s.

I generally enjoy more recent music, though. When I was 12 I was more interested in dadrock.

Games though, yeah, games like The Orange Box and ODST hold a really special place for me.

The one with the Attitude Era.

nah.
My favorite music was made before I was born, and was phased out already when I was 12.

My favorite games are largely from the time I was in high school until early college.

I grew up on Atari and NES though, and I don't like it that much. NES is ok for a handful of games, but gaming didn't get really amazing until SNES/PS1 era.

Games always have deadlines and almost never get to fully realise every single goal, so what that user said in that respect is wrong. Soul is really the X factor plus that extra bit of care that you know the older experienced devs were able to put in.

I disagree popculture was better when I was 16-18. And the videogame market was objectively shit 2011-2015. I'm having fun with them again now, so I can say its not just nostalgia.

>As a kid, primarily listened to classical
>As a preteen, primarily listened to dadrock and "comedy" music
>As a teen, primarily listened to prog and OSTs
>Early adult years, primarily listened to noise and metal
>Now I primarily listen to new wave, neoclassical, synthwave, and vaporwave

>As a kid, primarily played Pokemon and its clones
>As a preteen, primarily played Mega Man Battle Network and RTSes
>As a teen, primarily played Mega Man Star Force and flash games
>Early adult years, primarily played Warframe and roguelites
>Now I primarily play JRPGs, SRPGs, and mobage

>As a kid, primarily watched Pokemon
>As a preteen, primarily watched Food Network
>As a teen, primarily watched Adult Swim and early Let's Players like raocow and Deceased Crab
>Early adult years, watched a whole bunch of different anime
>Don't watch much of anything anymore, but sometimes have some YouTube on as background noise; been doing that less often, though

>As a kid, favorite book was Phantom Tollbooth
>As a preteen, favorite book was one of the Hitchhiker's Guide books
>As a teen, favorite book was 1984
>Early adult years, House of Leaves tfw can't bluetext
>Now, I'd probably say Ubik or Gödel, Escher, Bach

>posts a game with no soul

Minish Cap was just the empty commercialization of classic Zelda. That entire screen is just a dumbification of design with no subtlety.

Attached: 1549298728595.jpg (332x351, 26K)

2011 had a good number of standout titles (Xenoblade, Witcher 2, Dark Souls, Ghost Trick, Catherine, Deus Ex: Human Revolution) but you're right that it was mostly flat.

Somewhere around 2016

nah, 1980 to 2000 best the best time to grow up.

>As a preteen, primarily watched Food Network
Are you gay?

Nope. But my mother was incredibly strict at the time and Food Network was the only channel with enjoyable shows that she didn't ban. Good Eats, Unwrapped, and Iron Chef were pretty much all I ever watched on TV.

>commercialization of classic Zelda
>commercialization of a commercialized product
What the fuck am I reading.

Yeah but that was back when Nintendo allowed their franchises to do fun shit for the sake of it, if LA was made today all the cameos would be low tier zelda enemies/characters.

Toon Link peaked on this, it's no coincidence that after that anything new with toon link started getting called more "toon shit".

It has really neat production though

That's not saying much. For being the worst of the best it's still pretty kino.
Between this and the Oracle games Capcom is pretty decent at making Zelda games.

The 70s were incredibly productive economically for the music industry so even the most jew record companies didn't had a problem hiring more out there artists and promoting them, this is how all those new sounds influenced the mainstream so easily. This went on until the early 90s when "alternative" lost all its meaning.

So nothing can be criticized, ever. Anything and everything is objectively perfect because all criticism is merely subjective and can be discarded without consideration. What a fucking retarded sentiment.

Everything loses its soul once it becomes corporized. Be it video games, movies, music or whatever.

Video games used to be cool because to be successful it needed to be of such quality that the masses will love it. They were creative and they had their unique quirks. It's different today as corporates have created a formula with which they can create a successful game - they are not making a game and hoping people will like it, they are using statistics, psychology, marketing and all that jazz to generate maximum amount of sales. In other words, people made games because they wanted to create something of their own and hoped it would succeed, but today companies want success so they hire a few guys to make a product they can sell. Obviously it will not be as magical as it's not a product of passion but rather a product made to get a salary.

Same with music and movies and whatnot. Companies push out generic capeshit #435 every week and gain a billion bucks, and music companies use social media, radio contacts, television programs and shit to forcefully ekevate some whore to stardom in order to gain more money.

Attached: 5aa04662.jpg (960x1540, 144K)

>2006/2007
Eh i’d pass on it. The only good thing that came out of it was the ever changing landscape of the internet.

heh, sorry but I was born in the wrong decade

No one has a right to talk about "soul" bullshit whilst frogposting. Go to Iraq and get bombed faggot.

based
gay af

Video games didn't lose soul
You just lost yours

With every upscaled pixel and increased polygon you lose a bit of soul.

Yikes, nostalgia-faggotery is still a thing in 2019?

Yes, this time even more pathetic since it's nostalgia for the early 2000s.

So, it was a Zelda game.

good question

When PS2 and Xbox came out.