Well, I am perplexed

Well, I am perplexed.

Attached: 1500683782955.jpg (636x714, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mCQiwhik8nc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=DD-pPWOzWWo
youtube.com/watch?v=0TZd95BCKMY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: Untitled.png (636x714, 80K)

The object itself is not in motion and therefore wouldn't carry any energy.

A. is correct imo.

Someone post the Garrysmod webm, you know the one

Attached: 1554155242618.jpg (680x680, 170K)

u were one of those kids that sniffed sharpies all day huh

Okay, this is epic.

U were one that chewed pens

this

As said, the cube itself has no velocity, therefor A is the correct answer.

you were one of those kids posting complex theories about skyrim on reddit

Motion is relative. To the orange portal, the box is moving quite quickly.

lol implying that's worse than losing brain cells you actual brainlet.

>The object itself is not in motion
Sure it is. That portal's sitting still and a whole PLANET is rushing right at it! One hell of a catapult really.

lol fuck skyrim that game has no depth at all.
only a fucking mongoloid like yourself would even suggest something so stupid.

Relative to the orange portal, the box is certainly in motion.

I think this has more to do with the nature of the portal. Someone post the fucking webm

>Arguing over the physics of something that doesn't exist

HE ADMITTED IT LMFAO

Attached: 1554140120696.gif (320x233, 1.83M)

>Portals in different positions, object changes position.
>Portals facing different directions, object changes directions.
>Portals moving at different velocities, fuck all happens.
No one ever responds to me.

The portal itself doesn't transfer energy in the traditional sense. Sure the platform is moving at a high speed but the cube will simply pass through the portal without being effected by it. Portals don't transfer energy from the object.

im cumming man im cumming my pants man here iot comes my hot jiuicy cum hnngnhh

>Source: My ass

Fpbp

No shit dumbass I don't have a fucking degree it's speculation. What are you even doing here?

Not only is there no precedent for moving portals, everything you said is bunk when stationary portals increase the gravitational potential energy of an object without the usual sacrifice in kinetic energy.

>The object itself is not in motion
motion is relative, dumbass

Wouldn't the cube just poke through the blue hole because gravity is still pulling on it beneath the platform its sitting on?

No, that's not true. Yes, there is motion occuring in this system, but that the speed of the moving portal only decreases the time it takes for the box to enter the portal.

For these examples, disregard the acceleration gained and lost by the objects due to the force of gravity.

Ex 1. I am standing under a a large hole in a ceiling. The ceiling falls, and I am standing still. Now, the ceiling is now at my level, and I have not moved.

Ex 2. I am standing under a large hole in a ceiling, but under my feet is a launch pad. The pad shoots me into the air at the same speed the ceiling fell, and the ceiling doesn't fall. My rate of movement is the same, but I moved instead of the ceiling.

Ex 3. Again, I'm standing under a large hole in a ceiling and on a launch pad. This time, the pad will launch me in the air as the ceiling falls. This time, I retain the same velocity I did in example 2. The ceiling falling had no effect on how fast I was moving. The ONLY difference was how long I was at the same level at the ceiling, and that factor doesn't change the velocity of an object passing through a portal.

>no precedent for moving portals
Play Portal 2 already it's been 8 years

Attached: portal_threads.png (661x953, 119K)

>see
pay more attention in class

>I am standing under a a large hole in a ceiling
Okay but what does that have to do with portals. You aren't making a hula-hoop argument, right? You realize holes don't normally have just one end of them moving, right?

Attached: KYEm8PHNCAy5rQMgL6deN4AkJkItmyffJU7xeR_INxo(1).webm (478x718, 499K)

there's spirit in this post

Does this mean if your mum sits on my cum covered cock it'll shoot up inside her?

Speaking as someone who had Portal used in science class as a method of learning about physics, he's right.

The object is not in motion, the portal does not transfer energy, portals are essentially connecting one space to another.
It doesn't matter at what velocity you connect the two spaces, if the object is not being moved, it has no energy, and therefor will just fall to the ground.

It will sit still cos gravity is pinning it to the pillar

DELETE THIS

The game in which the only two examples of moving portals are
1) The one you can't move through
and
2) The one in a cutscene meant to look cool but if you insist on citing it is evidence for B. Your character must inherit the momentum from the portal on the moon or they would be instantly sucked into space due to the moon traveling so quickly.

>fan game
what a fucking worthless webm

holy shit lol

Attached: instantdespair.png (286x231, 181K)

The whole point is that since there is no actual force being exerted on the cube, it's not going to be launched.

Motion may be relative, but velocity isn't in a closed system.

Sure, maybe the source engine works different, but based on real world physics, A would be correct

THANK YOU

>Speaking as someone who went to community college
>Speaking as someone whose physics class never got to relativity
>Speaking as someone who can't understand that stationary portals create energy from nothing every time they teleport something upwards

woops a loop just fell from above and it just fucking launched me upwards haha lmao holy shit

Attached: 1550112805400.jpg (877x1083, 1.01M)

You're not really disputing any of his claims. You look really goofy buddy.

>Motion may be relative, but velocity isn't in a closed system.
The fuck are you even talking about?
Of course it is

Mmmmmaybe piss yourself, maybe cum and shit your pants maybe

Attached: 1553983728429.gif (400x400, 1.81M)

A hole isn't a portal idiot. There is no period of time where you are "within the portal" and not moving through your new location in spacetime. The other end of the portal is NOT moving with you.
As you are entering your new location in spacetime (at an incredible relative velocity as the first portal moves around you), you are moving through spacetime as a result. Otherwise you get crushed as your "apparently somehow immobile" bottom half is momentarily receiving the relative momentum of the rest of the moving planet against itself, which doesn't make sense, but then nothing about it makes sense.

Attached: 1494874716510.gif (504x282, 17K)

Portal's can't move.

When is it ever b? If you slam a pipe on a table, centered on a d6. does the die magically shoot up and out of the pipe?

>but based on real world physics, this object that defies physics by creating energy from nothing is incapable of creating energy from nothing.

i used to get stuck in these threads for days
now i just hlance and leave
there is no discussion
either you get relativity or you dont
pity the ones who dont

Attached: weltschmerz-other-wordly.png (500x330, 8K)

The first bullet point is laughing at him for going to a class that used Portal as a physics example.
The second bullet point is laughing at him for saying the object is not in motion.
The third bullet point is laughing at him for saying the object has no energy.

I look goofy, you look illiterate.

that gif's images are showing the same thing

As there is no absolute reference frame, the orange portal moving onto the cube is exactly the same thing as the cube moving into the orange portal. Therefore B is correct. As for the arguments stemming from conservation of energy or momentum, portals break those laws all the time, so it's pointless to use them as arguments.

You're literally getting owned in my thread you're allowed to leave man. You look so unintelligent.

Brainlet

Brainlet

You do realize your gif shows the perspective of the block itself right?

If you pass through a portal, from what you're seeing, you are passing through a colored hoop.

You can pull up all the gifs and webms you want, but unless you want to apply actual physics in terms that are analogous to the situation, you're going to be the idiot

The vacuum that is your brain is proving perilous to my vessel. I am putting my thrusters in reverse from this thread.

legally brainsead

>A hole isn't a portal idiot
t. retard

stopped reading there, learn your facts kid

this

>You do realize your gif shows the perspective of the block itself right?
That's not what fucking matters, since motion is relevant in all frames of reference, not just one.

Found the mobile user

>If you pass through a portal, from what you're seeing, you are passing through a colored hoop.

completely incorrect, and youre a retard
if you, after decade of this argument, cant figure out why hoop is not a correct analogy, just end it.

You're missing the point of the holes being portals.
The space on the other side of the orange portal will be moving at a high speed relative to the space around the cube.
Any force exerted on the orange portal through the piston will be transferred to anything moving through it as long as the piston overcomes the resistance on the other side of the portal.

>not a single rebuke
point proven, niggers can't relativity

wouldnt be hard
were the majority

A
Try launching a doorway at somebody and see if they fly when they enter it

can someone post this plz

Portal 2 wasn't so bad that you need to pretend it never happened.

youtube.com/watch?v=mCQiwhik8nc
hohoho guess again bitch

brianlet?
brainlet.

god it feels good to be smart

Man, are plopfags still trying to make shit up to justify their retardation? Last I checked they were making up shit and pretending it has anything to do with Special Relativity. It's launch, and if you believe in plop you need to take Year 1 physics courses.

i want to punch you stupid niggers in your retarded caved in faces

Attached: b0ceb12fd7ed32c138a4e90e91d2007bcb0d6469.png (854x847, 67K)

Relativity means there's no universal point of reference FAGGOT

We have a winner

FUCKING DESTROYED

Well if somehow one side of the doorway was moving, while the other was stationary (as in the image), then yes, that somebody would fly when they enter it. The hoop/doorway argument fails because both sides of the hoop/doorway move at the same speed from the cube's point of view, while in the example, one side of the portal is stationary.

B. It's not a door, it's a huge hole in a vacuum tube.

Theorists are stupid. This has been tested in engine and the answer is known, fuck off.

Yeah, no. You're wrong.

The Earth is in motion, so we can conduct a sort of Michelson-Morley experiment for the speed of boxes through the portal in perpendicular directions. If we did that we'd find that motion is still relative to an arbitrarily chosen inertial reference frame as in relativity (and in general our real universe). This doesn't conserve momentum though unless the portal experiences some force, which I think is the most reasonable answer.

Why?

Your mom will tell you later after I've banged her.

>This has been hacked, and whatever code that the developers assumed no one would ever see 100% matches what they believe would actually happen.

This is a real not even wrong comment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

there is no vacuum

Attached: no_u.jpg (491x398, 146K)

OP Here.

This was a test by Harvard conducted on Yea Forums

Commence the nerve gas.

Attached: 1554126438235.jpg (320x304, 25K)

Portal's can't move.
They stop functioning as portals the second they move.
If this is in game then why doesn't somebody just make a video showing what happens when OP's question is brought up?
Oh right because they're no longer functioning portals.

If the portal going down stopped suddenly when the cube is half-way through then the cube would jump. Prove me wrong.

Attached: cubejump.jpg (852x424, 32K)

owwow u act lik some sort of sceintist

dude why even post you fucking idioit

The force of the piston creates a suction effect on matter passing through the orange portal. It's like a pump.

thats not how portals work lmao

Well fuck me
youtube.com/watch?v=DD-pPWOzWWo

If the cube is light enough it would jump even if the portal stopped above it, provided it was moving fast enough.

>get a hula hoop
>toss it on a shoe or whatever you happen to have laying around
>does the object go flying into the air???

>Portal's can't move

HAHAHAHA NO GAMES

imagine being so braindead
the box on the left is motionless, the one on the right is clearly "rising" from the portal despite not actually moving on its own
when will you Atards understand that the cube being transported is what makes it move and thats why your shitty hoola hoop analogy doesn't work

this thread in a nutshell
>RELATIVITY argument
>*physics gibberish that nobody understands, not even the person posting it because he just looked at it somewhere and pretends like he knows what the fuck he is talking about*
>"A is correct anybody saying otherwise is fucking retarded"
>"B is correct, anybody saying otherwise is fucking retarded"
>*ingame video of B happening in Garry's Mod*
>"REEEE THAT'S NOT PORTAL"
>"ACKSHUALLY portals don't move"
>"DON'T LET ME GO MUUUUUUUUUUUUURPH video"

Look at all those buzzwords
this is the state of b.

neither

Attached: portal physics.png (984x904, 246K)

Ok but I don't see how B isn't consistent with the laws of physics provided the box travels to reach the portal at no faster than the speed of light and that the portal experiences a force in order to conserve momentum.

A on the other hand obviously requires a single correct inertial reference frame which doesn't match up with the laws of physics or with portal the game given that the lab reference frame in game changes as the Earth orbits the sun.

I think the instantaneous acceleration of the portion of the cube on the blue side would tear the cube in two rather than pull the rest of it up with it. Only if each layer of the cube passes through the portal at the same rate as the previous layer is catastrophe avoided.

These threads remind me of ye olde troll physics threads.

Attached: 1519282490137.jpg (1602x829, 223K)

the engine does not calculate the friction that happens on electromagnetic force level between the matter that doesn't move and the matter that has already passed through the portal and gained some kinetic energy for momentum in the space outside of orange portal.

redpill

if anything in my reply is a buzzword to you then you need to some supplementary english lessons kiddo

>what are inertial reference frames
It's been experimentally demonstrated that all inertial reference frames need to be consistent with the same laws of physics.

If you think its A then according to you the cube would have to just "Appear" on the other side of the portal because since it has "no momentum" it can't "emerge" out of the blue portal
but surprise surprise, it fucking does

It's always A, relativity has nothing to do with it. You only pretend there's some kind of controversy to get replies from idiots like me who can't help themselves.

If you walk through a fucking doorway do you go sailing through it at a higher speed than you entered?
Nothing the box is touching is "moving".

>Oh right because they're no longer functioning portals.
because they only need the code for that level.
its v_allow_mobile_portals 1 in console.
portals can move, but valve didn't need to use it on any other level.
youtube.com/watch?v=0TZd95BCKMY

If the cock in question is already covered in cum, the "shooting" already happened and the person would need a few minutes to generate more sperm. I don't think you understand how any of this works.

A cause Portal 2 is "haha so funny" non canon SHIT

exactly my point
how the fuck can it have "No velocity"? If you stand on top of the blue portal the cube is going to push you no matter how you look at it

Its neither a doorway nor a hula hoop

Its not a door
Lets make a scenario
Image you don't know portals exist and someone put the blue portal in front of you and covered it up so you just see a 1x1 square without the portal borders and the orange portal is just the way it is in the OP.
No matter how you look at it the cube is undoubtedly MOVING towards you and when it starts going "trough" the orange portal and you stand DIRECTLY in front of it it will PUSH you when coming out of the blue portal.
Now how could it possibly push you if both you and the cube had no momentum at all? How could it ever leave the blue portal if it had no momentum?

The speed at which the cube is entering the portal is what is important, not whenever the cube itself or the portal is the one moving

If you replace the cube with me, what do I feel? At what point do I experience the sensation of momentum? If the orange portal goes halfway down my body and stops, do I feel as if I'm being pulled upward on my upper half, or my lower half is holding me down?

what happens if you walk toward the portal and then stop half-way through, will the portal rip you in half

both "portals" are moving in that example and by that they cancel this. If only one was moving and the other werent (which is impossible with a hola hoop) you would be launched, yes.

You know that breaking conservation of energy makes everything you say invalid, right?

>If the orange portal goes halfway down my body and stops
you get ripped in half obv

>someone grabs you under the arms and lifts you up
>you get ripped in half obv

>the sensation of momentum
To be clear, there's no such thing as the sensation of momentum, you can feel a force acting on your body, but not momentum.

(Not that it's particularly important, you'd still need to feel a force to accelerate you in the new direction, but you never feel the momentum itself hence why you feel relatively normal when travelling at very high speed [relative to the Earth] in a plane.)

Have we considered asking the guys at Valve?

>implying they give a fuck
>implying anyone at valve even cares about video games anymore

That's identical to just stopping with no portal involved, I think.

The deceleration of all of your bits would remain constant enough as you stopped and as long as the orange portal continues to move past you then the velocity difference between atoms would be no different than if you brought yourself to a halt in real life.

Right, that's what I mean, I would feel the force, but at no point from the orange perspective does it make sense for me to suddenly shoot upwards, so presumably I never would, but what does that mean for the blue half of my body? That's my largest hang-up with B; whatever is going through the portal is, for the duration of it passing through, is experiencing two frames of reference at once.

>someone accelerates your top half to 15mph in an instantaneous amount of time.
>Nah, I'm fine.
Take a stack of magnets and pull on the top half of the stack at varying speeds.

The fucking game itself states that momentum is carried "speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out" if its doesbt have momentum it wont gain any

You're not being clear, you're being wrong. There's nothing wrong with the word momentum in that sentence. Momentum isn't a purely scientific word with strictly one definition. In physics it means a principle. Outside of physics it mans an impetus. It can even be a metaphorical force, like saying a meme is gaining momentum because it gains popularity.

portals are dumb, break physics laws and could destroy the universe, fuck portals

The game itself is full of shit, considering direction is a part of momentum. It only conserves speed, but it's not like the game is going to get into an essay on the difference between speed and velocity.

A obviously

Imagine being this retarded. This is basic "stuff I watched in a cartoon"-tier physics. It's so simple even kids would understand it.

but B is right so the portal must rip you in half, or else a portal can't shoot you by moving over you, and B can't be wrong because it's right

HULA

HOOP

so, if you move a hoop very fast over an object, does it shoot out according to your fucked up logic?

Yeah that's a fair point, but I think it's a smaller issue as it doesn't fundamentally violate any laws of physics (at least not in an obvious way). I guess it could be that the object passing through it experiences a stress in the same way that you would if you dragged an object from one side, a little like being accelerated by rollers which move across the object, I'm not sure if that's entirely consistent though

lol en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

>HOOPS
see hoopsfag

The scenario where the orange portal falls onto the cube is the same scenario as if the cube was accelerating towards the portal. The only difference is your reference point. That's something that happens constantly in the game, so it's obviously B.

>Motion is relative

no its not