I'm 100 pages in. When does it get good?

I'm 100 pages in. When does it get good?

Attached: Mason_&_Dixon_(1997_1st_ed_jacket_cover).jpg (976x1424, 274.74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2015/spring/john-barth/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

At the talking dog. Zoinks!

What was up with the Learned English Dog? I thought this was going to be realistic.

With the pynch? No way!

Did you forget that it's a grandpa telling a fireside story to his grandchildren? Of course it's going to be embellished and fantastical.

pychon is so overrated.

Really? I've only ever heard him mentioned once outside of Yea Forums and that was an offhand remark about how Pynchon's novels borrow from crime fiction tropes. Most people have never heard of Pynchon, and if they had they know him as that guy who didn't he write some kind of difficult but good book? Literally, literally, I have never heard someone talk about Pynchon outside of Yea Forums.

He was on the Simpsons though

Attached: pynchon.jpg (1200x900, 85.38K)

I meant to say overrated on lit, I don't talk to people about books irl. Recently I told a girl I read huck finn over spring break and she was like 'wtf why would you do that?'

Once, sometime right before college winter break (one and a half months), I overheard someone say,
>My goal this winter break is to read an entire novel

No he really isn't

Was it Harry Potter?

I'm sad now

>"In fact, just recently Pynchon was kind enough to send me an inscribed copy. He wrote: 'To John Barth: Been there, done that.'"

Read the original, it's superior in every way.

Attached: 155572.jpg (1000x1555, 1M)

Does the Sot-Weed Factor have a self-aware mechanical duck?

Attached: 0_PnddJpRWRl0tsr8t.jpg (960x906, 157.41K)

literally the first sentence

concur

where is this from?

No normal person even knows who pynchon is anymore so hes not overrated. I haven’t read all of his work but mason and dixon was surprisingly good

hub.jhu.edu/magazine/2015/spring/john-barth/

It got good at page 1.

When does it get good?

I absolutely hate all Pynchon novels.

Why?

they stink

No one says Pynchon is the greatest English writer, but people interested in American literature do find him interesting and representative of certain post-war literary phenomenon. I think it's okay to not like his works if you are not into theory and Pomo literature.

literally

nuh uh

Can someone list all the Pynchon books that have explicit sex in them so I can avoid them? I read an excerpt from gravity’s rainbow and now I don’t want to read any of his stuff.

Yeah they are printed on a weird type of paper that he insists Upon in his contract

>I can’t get laid therefore I don’t want to read about sex

The first 200 pages are kind of a bore. It gets good when they get to America.

Probably doesn't, that era of the US is fucking boring.

OP hasn't even gotten to the part about America yet.
I'm 160 pages in, IMO the last 60 pages were worse than the first 100. I like it so far though. The clocks were kino though, sometimes Maskelyne is funny and sometimes he's a drag, but Mason's combination of incredulity and horror and him is really funny. The astrology chapter was kino too.

The clocks are where I was hooked and began to have a difficult time putting it down.

I liked the slapstick with Mason hanging off the edge of the roof

It's one of Pynchon's worst but Yea Forums fellates it because they reckon pretending to like the olde prose makes them appear smart

page 101

>Nobody can possibly like anything I don't like
>If they say they do, they're just pretending
This is a special kind of delusion that pisses me off immensely. Why the fuck do you think this way? Normal people who don't read would say the same nonsense about every book you do enjoy.

The first half has some good bits but it pretty heavy going, while the second half is amazing, pretty much from the mechanical duck onwards

I think it’s more because it’s Pynchon’s most human book

That would be Against The Day, but brainlets on Yea Forums seem incapable of reading that novel.

it's fucking loooooong

Same length as IJ. I can't believe it's 2022 and I'm still waiting for the day (lol) when pseuds meme ATD for a sense of superiority because so few people here are able to get through it. Maybe that's a good thing, though.

There were too many storylines I didn’t care at all about when I tried reading it. Dropped it years ago when I was young and into dense difficult postmodern lit

You only have yourself to blame if you dropped it before storylines came to fruition. I recommend you try again.

It doesn't. Pynchon is an overrated hack.

takes one to know one

As someone interested in the concept of Weird History fiction I was fairly underwhelmed by the first 100 pages or so and have only come back to certain sections since

Against the Day actually sounds more engaging from what I've heard and read

the books i like have interesting set up and story from the very first page. M&D stars off with a page of masturbatory prose so its no wonder it takes literal hundreds of pages before it "gets good"

life is too short and there are too many books

The Simpsons is known for mixing high-brow and niche things with "low" common culture. It is very post-modern.

Wow. Yea Forums meme'd me into buying a Pynchon book and reading it. It was GR and I never finished it because it was too hard for me. And now Yea Forums is saying he sucks. WTF.
If I've learned anything from this website (not just this board) it's that I am easily influenced.

You should finish it. It's the best novel since WW2

Shut the hell up. That's what all the marketing material said.

alot of authors Yea Forums likes arent that good, although they all have at least some merit. Pynchon clearly isn't worthless, but he's also clearly not good.

It’s “okay” to dislike any writer or book for any reason you shitbrain. Subjective taste is just that, subjective

Lol just right off the back cover

It's a tour-de-france

Page 1. Sorry but you got filtered. :(

No we like it because it's a zany book about friendship. The Pynch isn't for everyone.