Yea Forums video games

What are the most literary video games?

Attached: b0864505790d5178ededf477e1b28d3f96ccba8082ca6c6bacc10354e40201cd.jpg (1600x740, 549.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/d1gKGq44NxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uH_lYc9HzpU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: Hogwarts-Legacy-cover.jpg (220x268, 21.25K)

Unironically? Zork and Planetfall.

Attached: zork.jpg (616x353, 121.97K)

I hate that game and everyone who praises it.

Why?

He hasn't played it and must feel some form of superiority on a basket weaving forum for hapa ricecels.

JUST FUCKING READ A BOOK, FAGGOT

Planescape: Torment

I played it as soon as I possibly could, about a week after release, bitch. It's overhyped, overrated, and was falsely advertised. It sucks as an RPG, and every element of the story is unremarkable.

You are entitled to be wrong on every count.

>Scrolling through Yea Forums, you find a Disco Elysium thread. Most curious...
>RHETORIC: - "This game is quite interesting, from what we heard about it."
>VOLITION: - "That's a vidya, this thread should be elsewhere. So should we, for that matter."
>ENDURANCE: - "We gotta remind these cucked communards that they are not welcome here. Come one, Just a light tap."
1. "I want that blond girl to sit on my face so badly bros"
2. [Rhetoric: Easy] "The devs of this game are unironic Communist devil worshipers. You have a taste for troon nigger dicks, don't you, shill?"
3. [Drama: Medium] [Lie] "I played it as soon as I possibly could, about a week after release, bitch. It's overhyped, overrated, and was falsely advertised. It sucks as an RPG, and every element of the story is unremarkable."
4. [Volition: Impossible] Close the tab and find something better to do [Leave].

Attached: 3624046-audiologs_thumb_discoelysium_site-v2.jpg (1280x720, 108.12K)

I would argue that Disco Elysium, though definitely well-written, isn’t a literary game but more of an interactive experiment in the formation of political alignments and personality types. The granular detail of how your protagonist is shaped by their choices is incredible, but I think the game itself is pretty thin as far as plot goes. The world and its history is really interesting, but as a story it just feels very meandering and ends suddenly with a whimper rather than a bang.

Probably the most literary game I’ve played is Obra Djinn, desu. Unlike Disco it actually has a strong narrative thrust that gets pieced together over time in a really unique way.

Max Payne

I knew it was a bad idea posting this, but in the absence of any good ideas, I did it anyways... like trying to figure out a puzzle... but it's really a broken mirror... and you try to change with it, but it could destroy you, drive you mad, or set you free.

Because Disco Elysium is a dirtbag leftist jam. But just give us that one guys... because you have Celine and Mishima and so on. We have our poets too like Mayakovsky.

youtu.be/d1gKGq44NxQ

Attached: _BPLMyZeouS3Y4q-JjvdoRYJ43tYdqf5pvBOFxKC3O4.png (618x347, 277.16K)

Harry's political alignment and Copotype literally do not matter. Whatever you pick, it will always make him a worse person and a worse cop, and he'll just use those as emotional crutches.

The whimper is the point, it's a game about human weakness and failure.

Yea Forums always has the most superbly constructed clapbacks, it's what keeps me coming back.

Attached: walking_dead_telltale_nintendo_swith.jpg (1200x630, 92.36K)

>Whatever you pick, it will always make him a worse person and a worse cop, and he'll just use those as emotional crutches
Yeah, that’s what makes it interesting. it uses ideas like the political spectrum or psychological types without actually affirming them as meaningful or even useful categories. It’s like the most self-defeating RPG ever, but I don’t think that kind of wry self-awareness is enough to constitute a “literary” game.

> it's a game about human weakness and failure.
I get that, and it’s especially evident in the meta-joke about the in-game game designers making a system so complex that it sunk the company. DE was always going to be a failure by their own standards because their ambition got the better of them. But I can’t say I wasn’t left a little underwhelmed by the conclusion.

Well they actually consider the game a success and it sold well enough to fund further games and potential for expansions.

A success commercially and critically, sure. But that user was talking about how the game is grappling with human weakness and failure and I think it’s interesting how the game addresses this on a meta level too. if you watch interviews with the devs they make it clear that the thought cabinet mechanic was supposed to be much more developed but they simply didn’t have the money, time or resources to do so, and also because making it have an impact on the game became so exponentially difficult that they would’ve never finished the project and potentially killed the company. That’s literally what happens to the in-game RPG game that you learn about as you explore the abandoned complex. The game isn’t a failure in a literal sense, but it does confront and expose its own failings in a way that few games are able to do.

The guy who said Zork was on the right path.

It is very obvious thaf the most literary video games are IF games insofar as they are interpreted and played as games.

Of course, no-one itt has actually played IF in their lives so they can only refer to the handful of RPGs made that weren't written by complete nerds.

>Yeah, that’s what makes it interesting. it uses ideas like the political spectrum or psychological types without actually affirming them as meaningful or even useful categories. It’s like the most self-defeating RPG ever, but I don’t think that kind of wry self-awareness is enough to constitute a “literary” game.
What this makes is a "literary" game is that those categories are not meaningful or useful *for Harry*, and we can understand why.

The Longing since you can literally read a full shelf of books in the game.

Attached: 1920x1080.png (1920x1080, 1.47M)

Obviously

Attached: Screenshot_20220408-132140.png (445x371, 274.47K)

What game?
I ask for purely literary purposes.

There's only one that's truly literary.

Attached: Pathologic.jpg (600x800, 111.32K)

>implying that the fisrt Pathologic was not literary.

It was, but Pathologic 2 refined and improved upon it tremendously, becoming the superior version.

Again, I don’t think self-awareness is enough to constitute “literaryness”. The way the story told isn’t formally innovative, it does nothing to develop the art of storytelling that isn’t already present in more conventional RPGs.

Attached: shinkai.jpg (1280x720, 167.77K)

>another one of these threads

Attached: c36.png (600x572, 274.05K)

>Again, I don’t think self-awareness is enough to constitute “literaryness”.
Nothing of what I said has anything to do with self-awareness of the game.

> it does nothing to develop the art of storytelling that isn’t already present in more conventional RPGs
Nabokov_looking_back_at_you.png

> Nothing of what I said has anything to do with self-awareness of the game.
That’s literally all I’ve been talking about though, that the game deals with failure in a self-aware way. You didn’t have a problem with this when I was talking about it in a previous post. Are you out to lunch?

Dilate.

Attached: sihip20f.jpg (640x853, 132.07K)

Doki Doki Literature Club. The original is free.

Awful VN.

Probably Sunless Sea

nethack

Why?

It's simply bad. The writing is bad. The characters are bad. The twist is not original and has been done substantially better, e.g. Totono. If you think it's a good VN then you simply aren't familiar with the medium.

I would second this, if we're talking just having a great story and script

It's simply good. The writing is good. The characters are good. The twist is original and was done substantially better than Totono. If you think it's a bad VN then you simply aren't familiar with the medium.

I'm sure you thought this was clever but it just proves my point.

This game is fucking garbage. Commies will hang

Sincerely, SaGa games. Thing is, they're not steeped in exposition or walls of text like other games that attempt to be literary. They're more about background worldbuilding left for the player to discover.

Killer7

>can't get past day 6 because I'm constantly starving, poor, and being attacked on the streets
I love the sense of survival in this game, really gotta give it another go. Will probably have to start from day 1 sadly

Attached: subahibi.jpg (1280x960, 324.86K)

>I'm sure you thought this was clever but it just proves my point.

Attached: 77f.png (600x903, 247K)

Yes, you aren't familiar with VNs, I know.

pathologic, planescape:torment, fallouts (good ones like 2 and new vegas, not the garbage bethesda shooter-looter ones) were what got me into literature
through these i discovered that stories and mysteries and curiosity for what happens next and character motivations and ideologies were more interesting than watching guns go boom for the trillionth time

i hope one day "interactive novel" becomes big, like a whole and accepted popular category of entertainment and disco sort of does this, maybe its success can inspire a new glorious future

Try visual novels, user.
youtube.com/watch?v=uH_lYc9HzpU

is this good

lmao ive been hearing about these 'light novels' and 'visual novels' for years but never googled them because i thought its some strange anime japanese stuff
so let me just double check: if i liked planescape and new vegas and disco, i should be looking into these vn's?

I was gonna say NieR Replicant, but it takes advantage of the video game medium too much

Light novels are a type of book in Japan that are written for teenagers. It's something similar to YA kind of and not what I'm recommending. Visual novels on the other hand are video games that descended from adventure games and primarily consist of reading a story with occasional interaction. There's a wide variety of them, but I think you might like the one I posted.

I really wonder how someone can use Yea Forums for any length of time and not know what a fucking vn is
christ

There's robust difficulty sliders bro.

It's good, but it starts out grim and edgy with rape and gloomy vibes and then basically becomes a superhero story with cartoon plot points and clichés. But it definitely has some excellent writing.

The lack of tonal consistency is something that I like about VNs personally. A similar story in a western fantasy novel would be oppressive and burdensome to read because it would stick to the grim tone from beginning to end.