/clg/ + /lll/

Both generals did dieded edition

mega dot nz/folder/9o4QEIIK#P3piz8Bfw-z7jgb7Q8NWDg

Attached: IMG_20220326_233820.jpg (976x2340, 623.67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categoria:L_+1
youtube.com/watch?v=YTBgyuwTeVI
chs.harvard.edu/chapter/1-susan-stephens-and-dirk-obbink-the-manuscript-posidippus-on-papyrus/
perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0007:part=4:chapter=46:section=117:subsection=130
blueletterbible.org/lexicon/h1254/kjv/wlc/0-1/
2letterlookup.com/
stepbible.org/
sefaria.org/texts
torahclass.com/resources/audio-bible-in-hebrew
cal.huc.edu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Valete, frater.
Quid hora est? Hora mirandi pedes feminarum. Mihi placent, etsi alii viri me discedent. Barbari! Salvete.
>Catullus, probably

>Hora mirandi pedes feminarum
Shouldn't it be
>hora mirandorum pedum feminarum
with gerundive? Are both correct?

Also
>Vale frater / valete fratres
>Quis hora
?

Quite right.
I think the plural acc is pedites.
I'm not sure about the gerundive, shouldn't it actually be Hora mirandus?
>Valete, fratres. Quis hora est? Hora mirandus pedites feminarum.

>Quite right.
Not so fast, I wrote it wrong, too. It should be Quae hora (quis is only masculine I think)
>I think the plural acc is pedites.
I'm not sure about the gerundive, shouldn't it actually be Hora mirandus?
>Valete, fratres. Quis hora est? Hora mirandus pedites feminarum.
It's pes/pedis; pedes/peditis is an infantry soldier I believe.
mirandi is the genitive gerund (hora mirandi means "time of watching", I'm not sure if that makes sense in English)
I've read that the gerundive substitutes the gerund when it goes with a direct object.
>mirandus
Do you mean hora miranda, or pedes mirandos, maybe?

Quae hora

Does someone else read articles from vicapaedia with bona latinitas to increase moderately easy inpoot and immersion?
la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categoria:L_+1

Attached: 1576871241575.jpg (581x1100, 122.12K)

were the previous threads sage'd or is this general really that dead?

It was a sudden death, as if most posters died or were killed the same night in a short span of time: probably jannies doing their work (for free)

checked
jannies killed them. probably kill this one too
rip classical languages, had a good run

both genuinely archived for inactivity

Do you guys think this general would survive on /int/? It's the "languages" board supposedly.

lol, too fast, not enough interest, even the whole /lang/ thread has to be kept artificially bumped to survive

Impossible.
Where have all the classical posters gone? They have suddenly disappeared.

An exercise for... whatever this is called now.
This is from Martial's Epigrams, Book 7, number 34. Post your translations and compare with others.

Attached: martial 7 34.png (524x498, 99.18K)

They'll survive here if we get more neet Cali/Aussie/Polynesian posters. clg/lll drifted into the Pacific and died

Discord and forums. Ranieri retards sea peopled everyone towards other venues

>Discord and forums
Do you know some comfy ones? I want to migrate, too

Do you need to learn pronunciation to appreciate Classical Chinese literature?

reminder: don't let trolls scare you away from the thread. Ignore/report people who just make hostile shitposts

You ask me, Severus, how is it that the basest of men, Charinus, could achieve something good?
I shall briefly answer that. Who's worse than Nero? What better than his baths?
Here, it's not hard to find someone putting it this bluntly:
"What do you put before all of the gifts of our lord and divinity?"
I prefer the Neronian baths to the baths of a faggot.

Attached: 1612547771128.png (600x676, 491.31K)

Jannies suck. We've been doing that for months and It's basically 1/3 Latinbros 1/3 Lispi retards 1/3 CLG.

Half of LLL were Lispi tards, and a third of CLG was artificial bumps and Esperanto tranny.

Apparently even LLL by itself can't sustain generals, but now that CLG is merged again, it's gonna be annoying to filter for CLG good posts.

Translation challenge:

Easy:
How did you find me?
I threw my spear as hard as I could.
I tried to look stronger.
Those cows sought water.
Traveling through that desert won't be easy.

Medium:
If she finds a way to do it, I can only be happy about it.
If only I had been in the position to be able to avoid such sad occurrence.
Once the artifact is found, we shall attempt to perform the secret rite as recovered in that book.
With the enemy army being routed, the king, advised by his generals, decided to avoid pursuing the enemy far into the harsh marshy territory.
By emergency decree of the emperor, all adult male citizens able to carry a spear and a shield ought to be ready for immediate deployment in the army.

Hard:
Near eight years have elapsed, since Texas declared her independence. During all that time, Mexico has asserted her right of jurisdiction and dominion over that country, and has endeavored to enforce it by arms. Texas has successfully resisted all such attempts, and has thus afforded ample proofs of her ability to maintain her independence. This proof has been so satisfactory to many of the most considerable nations of the world, that they have formally acknowledged the independence of Texas and established diplomatic relations with her. Among those nations the United States are included, and indeed they set the example which other nations have followed. Under these clrcumstances the United States regard Texas as in all respects an independent nation, fully competent to manage its own affairs, and possessing all the rights of other independent nations. The government of the United States therefore, will not consider it necessary to consult any other nation in its transactions with the government of Texas.

Attached: 1630439775691.jpg (720x700, 319.82K)

>Quo possit fieri modo, Severe,
>ut vir pessimus omnium Charinus
>unam rem bene fecerit, requiris?
You ask how it can be done, Severus, that Charinus, the worst of all men, has done a thing well?

>Dicam, sed cito. Quid Nerone peius?
I will say, but quickly. What is worse than Nero?

>Quid thermis melius Neronianis?
What is better than the baths of Nero?

>Non dest protinus, ecce, de malignis
>qui sic rancidulo loquatur ore:
Look, straighforward, it does not lack for spite
which speaks such putrid things:

>"Quid tu tot domini deique nostri
>praefers muneribus?" Neronianas
>thermas praefero balneis cinaedi

'What do you prefer to the gifts of our lord and god?'
I prefer Nero's baths to the baths of a faggot

try to have a pic at least semi-related to the thread

Newfriend are you still around? That's a pretty interesting choice of languages, so please do share your times while learning them.

It's what the average lispi faggot looks like

She's the thread's muse

Quomodo me invenisti?
Telum tam fortiter quam potui ieci
Fortior videri conatus sum
Illae vaccae aquam quaesivit
Iter facere per illam desertam facilis non erit

Si viam id facendi inveniat, modo laetus esse possum
Utinam eventum tam tristum vitare potuerim
Ut primum [artifact]um inventum est, ritum secretum perficere conabimur qui ex illo libris receptus est
Exercitu hostium victo, rex consilium ducorum capiens decidit [I don't know the right dependent clause to use here. ut/ne + subj? acc + inf? inf + gerundive?]

I have no sense of idiom and I'm too tired now.

Ugh. quaesiverunt, not quaesivit

>Ranieri retards sea peopled everyone towards other venues
Lmao. That is a perfect way of describing them. The Late Modern Collapse is upon us. I just need to come up with a poem about it What language and meter (if any) should I use?

are you Finnish, OP?

Reconstructed indoeuropean, don't use a meter but a mathematical progression for which each verse increments the amount of heavy syllables while iterating all possible combinations, and then it does it again backwards, returning to the beginning point. The length of the verse is actually dictated by the length of the poem and viceversa, since you want to perform exactly one cycle: the number of verses is equal to the number of possible combinations, which is determined by the number of syllables of the verse.
About the final poem's length, I recommend you to aim for a time of continuous recitation equal to a revolution of the Earth around itself.

Brehs..i've been reading a book on ancient education and the Indian school system is crazy. They expected the students to memorize thousands of lines of Sanskrit verse because they had an aversion to writing.

#Question

- Does anyone know a book about Greek mastery techniques? Want one with proof of long familiarity with translating Greek.

That's pretty normal. People have been memorizing the Iliad, Odyssey, and Bible for millennia. I'm not just talking about exceptional autists but general students. A professor emeritus at my university was taught this way, a friend of my Greek professor, and my Greek professor's professors at Oxford talked about getting their knuckles rapped if they messed up a line as kids.

Yeah, the book makes connections between the ancient Indian way to the classical Athens way to teach. They both focused on the oral aspect of the language more than the writing since giving a bad, clumsy recitation or not using the correct pitch would get you booed and shamed in both cultures.
The oral tradition was big in the medieval period too. You had to memorize the Psalms and poems about grammar.

Eheu, canis verpa! Canis verpa!!! Eheu! O mores o tempora, canis verpa, canis verpa... eheu

alright fratrēs, what does the word vērō mean? correct answers only.

Depends on context.
Truly, in truth
But
Indeed, really
And a dozen other similar meanings. I find that in Cicero it often means but as in 'but in truth'

BUMP
Get your shit together, Euros. It's 9:20 in England right now. Keep the thread alive.

Most rhythmic resources are actually mnemonic ones. Memorizing an entire epic poem is still a feat but, with the right techniques, it becomes humanly possible.

The same as "en verdad" in Spanish or "invero" in Italian.

euros dont want obnoxious amerimutts to learn latin though

Hoc sed inironice

nah. posting in this general has become more exhausting than studying greek and latin

Πῶς ηὗρές με;
Ἀκόντιον ἔβαλον ὡς ἀνδρειότατα
Ἐπειράμην ἀνδρειότερος φαίνεσθαι
Ἐκεῖνοι οἱ βόες ὕδωρ ἐζήτουν
Οὐ ῥᾴδιον ἔσεται διὰ ἐκείνης τῆς ἐρεμίᾱς πορεύεσθαι

Ἐὰν εὕρῃ πῶς πρᾶξαι αὐτό, ἀμέλει ἡσθήσομαι
...(still not sure how to express the optative here in the past)
Εὑρημένου τοῦ τεχνήματος, πειρᾱσόμεθα τὴν τελετὴν διαπράττειν τὴν ἐν ἐκείνῳ τῷ βιβλίῳ εὑρημένην
Τῆς τῶν πολεμίων στρατίᾱς εἰς φύγην καταστάσης, ὁ βασιλεὺς ὑπὸ τῶν στρατηγῶν παραινησάμενος διέγνω τοὺς ἀποφεύγοντας πολεμίους μὴ μακρὰν διώκειν διὰ ἑλώδων χωρῶν

1 day and 40 posts. is clg dead? way to bother everyone away latin faggots

Maybe they're learning classical languages instead of gossiping.

O! verpa canis, canis verpa, heu

they can post about learning it here. that theyre not means they want the general to die

Yes, two days ago both the old /clg/ and the new /lll/ died of inactivity.

What was her problem?

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 12.25.50 PM.png (1350x1156, 478.43K)

Reading latin is easy, you dumb faggot

>professor emeritus at my university was taught this way
I listen to the ad nauseum podcast and one of the hosts said that his first assignment in grad school was to memorize the first couple hundred lines of the Iliad. then when he had to recite it in front of his professor, he would be stopped in the middle and asked what kind of grammar/rhetorical technique is being used. sounds like a nightmare lmao. i wonder if that kind of hardcore method died out in favor of more baby methods.

youtube.com/watch?v=YTBgyuwTeVI

people like you killed /clg/

>i wonder if that kind of hardcore method died out in favor of more baby methods.
It most certainly did. That's why the LLPSI is popular. Such textbooks give the illusion one actually knows the language when they really don't. When they get in trouble, they're screwed as they have no grammar to fall back on.
The so-called polyglot social media stars are sickening. They mislead people into believing that their hacky list of beginner phrases constitutes actual language knowledge. It's all part of the same trend.

Attached: 1648672814531.jpg (669x576, 80.4K)

>i wonder if that kind of hardcore method died out in favor of more baby methods
>some schools no longer require classes in Latin or Greek for a degree in Classics
Ten years ago I would point to Oxford, Cambridge, Stanford, Bryn Mawr and a handful of others but now there is not a single school that I am still certain has a rigorous program.

Shut the fuck up. LLPSI represents a new generation of learners for a new era of accessible information. Never before has so much education been available on Youtube, on podcasts and free websites. For the first time thanks to the internet people can get free instant access to whatever they want to learn. LLPSI is simply taking over because young excited people are learning Latin instead of boring elitists.

Wow, really nice. I still struggle to hear any sort of rhythm while reading poetry, so performances like this are interesting to listen to.

>When they get in trouble, they're screwed as they have no grammar to fall back on.
i don't have explicit knowledge about grammar in english either and i'm getting along just fine

The difference is that English is a living language you can immerse yourself in. You can watch thousands of hours of TV and movies. You can talk to real people. English flows over learners like a giant wave. A person can learn English like a baby if they wanted to. There isn't enough Latin out there for people to do that, and since there isn't, students need to learn some formal grammar.

>some formal grammar = memorizing epic poetry and being able to explain the grammatical techniques used at any point

I was responding to a complaint regarding a formal understanding of grammar, so I talked about learning grammar. Problem?

My class just read the Aeneas departure scene today. I'll bring this up on Friday. This was a cool performance, and it's a perspective on pacing that I have nor seen before but makes sense.

Did you follow the chain of posts?

me
me
me
me

Stop responding to the trolls, guys

>t. marketing department

artificially bumping threads is lame

unless it saves a good thread

but this is not one of the good clgs

i really wish jannies would ban the clearly like effort ones. at least some of the llpsi or wheelock effort posters go past superficial understandings and actually make sense

What are the most literal line-by-line translations of the Iliad and Odyssey? I'm finding that Perseus and Loeb are not cutting it. They don't help me make sense of the Greek as I have been taught it.
>“Patroclus, thou thoughtest, I ween, that thou wouldest sack our city
Something like this requires effort to translate it into contemporary English, whereas the MIT Classics version, which is by Butler and is not line-by-line, is so much more comprehensible. What does ween mean here?
> "Patroclus," said he, "you deemed that you should sack our city

Attached: Patroclus.jpg (464x700, 395.13K)

Probably Lattimore. Most consider him dry, I found him quite engaging and the closest to the Greek

>ween
It means think, I think, I suppose
Loeb often has bad translations, out-of-date and more of the translator's interpretation than the text itself. This isn't to say all are terrible, just that you should take every Loeb with a grain of salt at first.

stephens' manuscript but you have to know greek grammar or use lattimore to make sense of it

Their poetry translations especially go all over the place as if trying to fill in empty space with flowery English words for some reason

chs.harvard.edu/chapter/1-susan-stephens-and-dirk-obbink-the-manuscript-posidippus-on-papyrus/
This is the closest thing I can find to what you describe, but it definitely isn't the Iliad. I enjoy reading Hebrew and Aramaic manuscripts, but I have not yet tried Greek and Latin. While what you suggest is not what I'm looking for, I may be interested later, so help would be appreciated.

Btw, there is no perfect upload of Lattimore on Z-lib or libgen. The PDF has some pages missing (255-260), which I noticed as I was scrolling through. The epub is completely fucked in terms of formatting and readability. Unfortunately, the Mega also contains the messed up epub., but if you have multiple columns up, you can work through it, I think. Either way, we need to make/find a better Lattimore ebook. I might make some scans, if someone doesn't have a better plan or more time on their hands. My best bet is probably going through the PDF, finding any more missed pages, and putting in my few scanned pages in.

Mega guy here
I looked all over for a perfect Lattimore Iliad epub or pdf and could not find one. Meant to update the one in the Mega to the one you described but mistakenly thought I already had. The one currently in there cuts off text at the edges and is essentially unreadable.
I read through it just a couple months ago and that chunk is the only set of missing pages. If you do manage to fix it with your own scans please share a link here.

That split really killed both fucking threads. Whose the idiot that came up with that shit? This place is dead as fuck now.

Which languages would you like to discuss? I've studied quite a few

μὴ ἀπόθανε

Attached: 1611496993014.png (633x892, 159.28K)

ἀπόθανε

ΣΑΓΕ

Attached: 28b.jpg (1296x1010, 129.33K)

You have not answered, so I'm to believe you're a filthy tourist who never truly cared about this general

>autist babysits a general
>wonders why nobody wants to interact with him
generals are a cancer, and this is why

You don't even study languages, unlike real clgists. You just want to pseud and feel smart. What are you doing here?

>Both generals did dieded edition
Now why did this happen? You will never be neurotypical.

I told them but they didn't listen. Latin shitposting was keeping the thread naturally alive and at a right balance for this slow board, some autists find it hard to just ignore posts they don't like.

You are a failed normie and the autist you claim to hate. No one has less to show for on topic posts for the general than you, esperanto tranny

>you are my dreaded boogieman, the esperanto tranny
That guy probably fucked off to a discord or something you retard. If you can't tell that your own autism has driven everyone out, that you wanted to be the king of an insignificant general on Yea Forums's Yea Forums, and that you fucking suck at everything that's not being a boring nerd that reads grammar books, then there is no hope for you or this general. Don't worry, this will be my last post ITT.

Attached: plato and socrates.png (60x77, 12.76K)

I'm not the general splitter, but he had the right idea.

I was saying you're as shit as esperanto tranny. I don't think you're them, but at least they actually study languages. Go flee then, but never forget that you're a stupid boring faggot, and low energy autism like yours killed the general.

What does this mean?

This is the only current general on lit that was good though. Wtf are you smoking?

I think it comes from τιθημι + απο, meaning "to put away". Then, there's μη, which means "not". "Do not put away (this thread)" is the complete meaning. I will let you figure out what that one user said in reply; it's transliterated.

don't die, aorist imperative of ἀποθνῄσκω

More useless retards like you should follow your lead and fuck off. Leave clg to people not toxic from being too stupid to learn languages.

Nice. Are you part of the Greek discord? Post email if you want an invite.

I was warned that llpsi gets hard around chapter 10 but it's pretty smooth sailing still.

What's hilarious is how self important that faggot is despite getting filtered by even LLPSI. Nothing of value was lost.

Does piranha count as classical?

Attached: piraha-language_infographic.png (824x2130, 439.57K)

All questions cleared. I found some that aren't the known textbooks and grammars.

Question:
"Quod si tu per eos dies operam dedisti Protogeni tuo... ne tu haud paulo plus quam quisquam nostrum delectationis habuisti."

I'm having trouble understanding the syntax of that result clause. The meaning is obvious enough in context but the "ne... haud" double negative is throwing me off. This means "you had not at all less pleasure than any of us", right? But with "ne" it seems like it should mean "you did not have no less pleasure..." or is this a case of an emphatic double negative?

Sorry, I meant "you had not [only] a little more pleasure than any of us"

Nvm I fucked up, it's not a result clause, it's a protasis, and ne is apparently a greek interjection used before pronouns. Thanks all

You're welcome. That was actually an instructive lesson since I got stuck exactly where you did.

One last self-correction, that clause is actually the apodosis.
That's good. What a confusing "ne"

That pic is bullshit. They definitely have small talk.
>Fish good.
>mmmm. Me think fish good too.
That's small talk. They've got it. I've also never heard of a tribe having no colors. I've heard of people making similar claims, but they are always exaggerated bullshit. I bet the numbers fact is unfactual too.

Well there's a vid on youtube showing they have no sense of time. Weirdly, that isn't in the infograph.

Surely, they are aware of day and night and you need to leave meat on the fire for a certain amount of time. I'm not saying everything is a social construct and cultural relativism ftw, but just because they don't observe time the way we do or just because they have an inferior sense of time to us doesn't mean they don't have a sense of time.

bump

What are some good sources to learn Biblical Hebrew?

anyone capable to give you a good answer left this general a long time ago

I’m transcribing an old book for Wikisource. Can someone tell me what’s the meaning of “Inte & in semine tuo, &c”. I know that “&” stands for “et”, but my Latin level isn’t just enough to get what the rest means. Thank you all.

Attached: 1648647223466.webm (1100x619, 2.92M)

Attached: download (1).jpg (350x45, 6.05K)

M-maybe it’s a reduced form of “Volo enim in te, et in semine tuo imperium mihi stabilire”? But what does it mean?

Jews are jealously protective about their culture, and scholars who study the language for religion or history are more common on forums than Yea Forums.

pls

How do I Pepe????

I have no idea what inte is, &c means et cetera, semine is the ablative for semen (seed)

>Inte
Maybe in + tē

Link to the full text?

yes, looks like a passage from the Vulgate, transcription is just bad and looks like "inte"
it's when God appears in a dream to Abraham and blesses him
"the whole tribes of the earth will be blessed in you and your seed"

Attached: snap_005.png (590x381, 660.08K)

It’s just a random Latin expression in a Portuguese text.

Google’s translation:

This was the constant practice of Your Royal Highness’s Grandparents, quite forgotten in recent times, and now renewed by Your Royal Highness. May God, to whom this service is directed, descend upon Your Royal Highness all the greatness and plurality of His heavenly gifts, as at another time upon the righteous Kings of Israel, establishing, in Your Royal Highness and in your August descendants, the Royal Empire, which, according to pious Portuguese belief, had surrogated the ancient Israelite Empire, choosing it for itself INTE & IN SEMINE TUO, &C. Thus, with all the energy he is capable of, the most humble vassal of Your Royal Highness wishes, Friar José Mariano da Conceição Vellozo.

Oh, this makes sense according to the context. Can you translate this for me though?

"For I want to establish my kingdom/empire "in" you and your seed."
Keep in mind the Vulgata(and people imitating it I guess) was a translation that tried to imitate the Hebrew text so certain expressions like "in you" for classical ears may sound weird.

Thanks! 😍

How do you develop sensibility for vowel length? I'm a latinfag and a romance native and I feel like it's impossible to pronounce a long vowel if I can't even recognize one. How do people learn it?

i had the same problem (frogspeaker) so i would use "raise my pitch" instead of extending the time for pronouncing them. this gets even more tricky because a lot of long vowels also end up needing to be accented as well (penultimate rule).
desu, i dont have it 100% down but it helps to record yourself saying words aloud and then you can move onto sentences. problem is there is too little audio content for latin that makes the distinction. it helps if you pick up vowel length from another modern language like japanese (sayōnara)

you gotta start with the small aneros, and keep using it, your prostate will become more and more sensitive and eventually you'll be able to cum just from anal

In theory a syllable like tā should be just as long as tau or tat, did you manage to pronounce them with that timing? I always end sounding like if I was parodying the language
>Rooooomaaaaaaaanus
>In Italiaaaaa

I'm still here. I'll post a response once I get home. I should come up with a copypasta for this question. An assyriologist should make a Semitic Mega.

Has anyone here tried learning Church Slavic?

Attached: glagolitic.png (415x580, 73.35K)

>keep forgetting Chinese characters

i usually don't pronounce long vowels at the end of the words because i just use liaison, where you kind of smash together the last consonant of a word to the next words' vowels. i concentrate on the long vowels in the middle of words instead.
>I always end sounding like if I was parodying the language
same here. sounds like im an autistic undergoing speech therapy. moreover, it sounds too robotic. i mean in many languages, you don't really enunciate everything anyway (only case i would is for poetry but that comes natural anyway once you get familiar w/ the meter)

On Chapter 12 of LLPSI using the 7-Step Ranieri Method and it works unironically.

Wish I could forget Chinese people

Don't Chinese and Japanese people have to practice them constantly?

Lexicity has a page for it

Most Chinese tell me they handwrite characters as the most reliable way to memorize them. Are you guys Chinese btw

came back to Plato after a short break and I felt like my greek had improved a lot

you are
definitely gonna
make it
bro

Is there a Semitic version of Survive the Jive? I know Sargon has a small amount of such content. I'm looking for something more.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised there isn't a popular youtube channel dedicated to ancient Egyptian myth and culture, given how popular Egyptian aesthetic and themes are.

Attached: 1648273581604.jpg (2944x4352, 441.81K)

👀 💦

💦

Why are there emojis here

Wheelock:
>The 3rd declension is very easy! Here's a table that fits on a single page
Allen & Greenough:
>"And now we will explain the 3rd declension in 30 dense pages"

LLPSI:
>"Roma in Italia est."

so is the absolute accusative in ancient Greek sort of equivalent to the absolute genitive or is it an heavily context dependent choice?

Which would you rather have, Butterfly or a slow /clg/?

>A participle stands in the accusative absolute, instead of the genitive, when it is impersonal, or has an infinitive as its subject
perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0007:part=4:chapter=46:section=117:subsection=130
A&G go into philological detail about the origins, contractions, stem changes, omissions, vowel changes etc. Wheelock simplifies that for beginning students. Truth be told you probably don't need the A&G explanations but if you really want to understand the inner workings of the language it is a great help.
Just as Smyth above A&G fleshes out all the details of the language for those interested. If you are seriously studying Classics at the graduate level you will be living out of those books. My uni required them for undergrads as well and they served me well.

>20159194
Grātias agō tibi.

Which book?

good evening /clg/, today I payed $17 of my hard earned neetbux to Ioannis Stratakis for an audiobook of Plato's Ion :PepoThink:

now that clg is full of fake bumps to keep it trickling, where can I go for classical language learning?

don't want to promote it too much for obvious reasons but textkit is the most active forum for Greek and Latin learners

>check it out
>most of it it's still lipsi shitposting

damn bruh looks like you chose to wrong language

It's not full of fake bumps.

Neither of you speak English correctly

Forced responses every time it hits page 9-10. You're not fooling anyone

It's not fake or forced until it's dot posting.

Found this Wheelcuck hiding from us and trying to take another victim into hating Latin with his awful textbook

get him boys

Attached: pbuh.jpg (300x300, 17.31K)

I've heard there's a book called Gesenius' Hebrew grammar.
>20152161
shut up doomer

Ok. I'm back. I've been home for some time, but I just haven't gotten around to replying. Here's what I've got for you.
A Practical Grammar for Classical Hebrew by J. Weingren
Beginning and Intermediate Biblical Hebrew by Cook & Holmstedt
Building Your Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary: Learning Words by Frequency and Cognate by George M. Landes
blueletterbible.org/lexicon/h1254/kjv/wlc/0-1/
2letterlookup.com/
stepbible.org/
sefaria.org/texts
torahclass.com/resources/audio-bible-in-hebrew
cal.huc.edu/

Can someone explain some latin translation?
how do you translate this:
>Malo me Galatea petit, lasciva puella,
>et fugit ad salices et se cupit ante videri.
Vergil Eclogue III 64-65
I translated it:
>Galatea seeked wicked me, that playful girl
>and she flees to the willows and longs to be seen.
I looked it up in english and got this:
>Gay Galatea throws an apple at me,
>Then hies to the willows, hoping to be seen
what is going on in the first line, pls help

Malus, i (f.) - an apple tree
Petit is present and has alternate meanings, one of which is attack, assail.
Malo is not the same case as me, it is ablative. The other possibility is dative but that isn't the case. Either way 'malo me' is not wicked me, that would be 'malum me'.
Malo petit comes to 'she attacked me with an apple tree', which in Vergil means with the fruit of the tree, i.e. an apple.
Lasciva is more playful, sporting than bad, licentious here.
PS past of seek is sought

>Neither of you speak English correctly
Who cares about an ugly utilitarian language kek

Why is everyone here so bitter?
Llpsi or other method, everything has advantages and disadvantages, and combining different methods can help tremendously. Threads like this should be about sharing different methods and experiences. If you just come here bitching I can have that in real life and dont need to stay here. ( This thread I mean. I will stay on Yea Forums, since, you know, you are here forever)

Attached: 1648928738844.jpg (720x960, 110.11K)

Autism. Most autistic men believe they're smarter than everyone else, and can't accept the idea of not being it (after all, they're already weak and ugly, if they aren't smart they would be nothing, they need it). The method they chose has to be the best, because they need to believe they picked the best one, otherwise they would be dumber than people that chose a better one.
It's their ego what is at stake. They end up identifying themselves with the book they chose, because if it's proven that their book is not the best, they would be proven to be dumber than people who chose the right one.

#
#
What does 'ante' mean here? Maybe that she hopes to be seen before something else, or to be discovered quickly?

I took it as 'in front of the willows', 'standing before the willows'
>she flees to the willows and hopes she is seen before them

unfortunately bitching about textbooks constitutes about 70% of posts here. bitching about bitching about textbooks is another 10%

If people weren't such faggots and learned more than Latin, we'd be better off.

I'm in my third semester of Latin, and since the Latin system is being overhauled, I am in a 4th semester poetry class. We're, obviously, halfway through the semester and reading Book 4 of the Aeneid. I have to translate ~20 lines for homework twice a week, since there is a test or quiz every Friday and we don't have homework before a test or quiz. Is this a normal workload for such a class? I'm just curious. My Greek 4 class has way lower expectations, as did my Hebrew and Aramaic classes. However, I am told I have grad-level knowledge of Hebrew/Aramaic and there are PhD students in my Greek class. I don't know what to think.

That honestly seems a bit light for a 4th-semester course, although it's not surprising if you have a mixture of levels.

What are your tests/quizzes like? Sight translation or grammar?

Can anyone recommend resources on Greek scribal conventions, abbreviations, and ligatures? I know of some similar books and webpages for Latin but want to learn more about the Greek manuscript tradition after listening to an interview about Byzantine scholarship.

Very helpful, thanks

Yes, 40 lines a week is not much, hardly a page. Fine for undergrad.
Why are PhD students taking 'Greek 4'? Shouldn't they be in upper-level Greek classes?

>faggot crying about LLPSI all thread while unprompted

Attached: 1647088338508.jpg (400x400, 19.52K)

Did all the Ranieri fags die? Poor showing against that Wheelnigger at his

the troon showed up and got the thread deleted

their quirky hobby of the month moved from "learning" latin to lomography

#
>Etiam nunc de grandibus pharmaceuticis confidens
MEDICAMENTUM NON CAPIAM HAEHAEHAE ANTICHRISTUM ODIO ANTICHRISTUM ODIO

Attached: 1646229953301.gif (498x498, 2.47M)

More Latin shitposting IN LATIN is needed. It's the only point of imageboards, this format is not practical for the display and recollection of useful info (other than a link to download materials in the OP).
Unironically it would be way more didactical than it is now. Shaming others for their mistakes would be a great and fun drive for improvement, too.

Absolutely agree. I wonder if that guy who used to sneedpost here in Greek still lurks. Probably not.

Igitur id in latīnā linguā dīc, retardāte

>retardāte
>Slow Down, You (pl.)

Cupio spectare quisquam Ranieri caput expolire ut calceum. Ai, reffulgit Ranieri caput! - his caput est ut sphera bowlingis, voce iucunda, sed vultus ut vulturis me nausea. Paene vollo pugnare eum. Tuxtax, tuxtax!

why did OP post a picture of finnish military soldier?

Retardate, vocativus verbi retardatus

Tacē, Ranieri, nēmo dē tē loquitur

>vultus ut vulturis
lepida expressio!

Rursus lege, stulte
Non te placet Ranieris caput?

Stupro te!

Attached: L. Superbus Stuprator.jpg (200x255, 43.71K)

Certe stuprator est simile!
Noli postare calvus iste rursus! Vale

Scīmus tē Ranieri esse, mendax!
Sed concordo tēcum: sphaera tersa et rutunda aestheticissima perfectissimaque ex omnibus formīs

Tē placēret!

>aestheticissima
aesthēticus et aesthēticissimus, quia verbum graecum «αἰσθητικός» η vel ē longam habet

A quiz consists of translating one passage we read, answering a few grammar questions about it, scanning two lines, and a couple extra credit questions about the author. The test was supposed to be two previous excerpts and one sight passage with grammar questions for each, scanning, and extra credit. I finished the first and only test in 20 minutes after getting fried from a very difficult Greek test. I got 99%. Tests and quizzes have a 20 minute allotment. I have a 99% overall in the class, and the professor doesn't like me very much.
Both of them were recommended to take it by their advisors. Both of them are in religious studies. One of them has a background in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, and maybe Latin. The other is purely Greek, was in my Latin 2 class last semester. For the latter, he just wants to take as much Greek as he can, and this is what there was. It's a Homer class. The former is interested in biblical archaeology, and he was in my Greek 3 class.

VHVM • LVCIVS • DEVS • RANIERVS
SCORIPO • MARTIANVS • DOMINVS
PAX • TIBI • PROPHETA • NOSTER
ORATIONESQVE • SEMPER • AMEN

Mea mentula magna est.
Puellae meam grandem mentulam amant.
Mulieres meum longum penem admirantur.
Virgines meam verpam largam volunt.
Feminae meum fattum cockum suckant.
Ego based sum.
Ianitores eunt domus

That does not mean what you think it means. Retardo has no connotations of mentally challenged in Latin.
Just use Idiota, ae, m.

Ah, I thought you meant Classics PhDs
What is Greek 4, 4th semester Latin? Is it an upper division class? Next year it will be something other than Homer/Virgil? Typically, in the US at least, Latin 4 or Greek 4 will be getting out of the textbooks and into reading but not as serious as an actual text-based course. I'm a little confused by the terminology.
>this is what there was
My uni was the same way for grad students and that is why I would never do grad work there.
If you pursue a graduate level education in Classics you need to be at a school with the resources and classes necessary. That means multiple upper division courses in each language per semester so you have options and can take more than one at once.
As an undergrad it will probably be for you. If only one course is offered per year then they will focus on the greats which you need a solid foundation in. For the summer break I recommend you talk to your department head and find out what is planned for the next few semesters then on your break read something NOT offered by your school.

occīd tē barbara stulte

Italian and Spanish use the same exact word (ritardato, retrasado).
It's like adopting a new scientific term imo, a funny neologism.

Attached: 1648799384307.gif (320x240, 978.33K)

Here's how it goes at my school. Greek 1 and 2 is pure introduction to Greek, textbook, grammar stuff. Greek 3 is mostly still learning Greek, but in the last month, you read Xenophon. For Greek 4, still an introductory class, since liberal arts majors are required to take 4 semesters of a language, the professor chooses what to read. My professor chose Homer. We were reading the Iliad via Homer: A Transitional Reader, and now, we are reading the book 6 of the Odyssey (Cambridge Green and Yellow Edition).
At this university, there are Latin 1 and 2, which is just going through Wheelock. Then, Latin 3 is finishing the last couple chapters of Wheelock over the first couple weeks and then reading Cicero. Latin is taught on and off cycle, but Greek is always taught on cycle. Due to departmental downsizing, Latin 3 and 4 are now being combined. If you took Latin on-cycle, then you go from Latin 2 to Latin 3 (Cicero) to Latin 4 (poetry), but if you took it off-cycle, you go from Latin 2 to Latin 4 to Latin 3. I'm off-cycle. Regarding content for the poetry class, we started with Catullus, then Horace, now Vergil, and later Ovid. In the first half of the semester, there is a poetry translation project, and in the second half, there is a poetry recitation project.

>there is a poetry recitation project.
Are you an anglo? I'm imagining all those kids with their anglo accents lmao