Does Slayers hold up

I always planned to watch it and never did. now years later I've randomly thought about it again and was curious.

Attached: 1224614633983.jpg (450x337, 24K)

It’s extremely entertaining, even to this day

I watched it only two years ago. Definitely one of the best D&D-based series.
NEXT > Slayers > TRY

Attached: 1549131787769.gif (436x293, 225K)

I really hate it, I find the comedy to be super unfunny and annoying, but plenty of people love it, so if it's your type of thing you'll probably like it. Anime generally doesn't age if it's well made.

I've no idea if their styles are similar, but I also hated the comedy in Nichijou. If their styles are similar (I don't know if they are), you may have similar experiences between them.

Good to hear

I liked Nichijou half the time. The other half was too subtly jappo for me. I did enjoy me some Rune Soldier and Those Who Hunt Elves, and kind of suspect the comedy in Slayers to close to that.

wait till the BD's are out

Attached: slayers_bd.jpg (3136x1498, 661K)

Early fantasy anime from the 80s and 90s was usually a lot more silly and weird than isekai stuff of today. I quite like that element, but of course something like Slayers is not exactly like a battle shounen series where it's all about plot and shit. In Slayers, it's mostly just Lina and her party fighting some raiders, monster or sorcerer or whatever of that week. It's actually quite a lot like Pokemon if anything where it's just travelling around doing random shit and sometimes there's a bigger goal ahead.

>Slayers thread up
>I don't have to work on a Sunday

This is going to be a good day.

Attached: bitter.jpg (600x800, 132K)

Does Slayers hold up...

First season, no, it doesn't. It's extremely 90s, it has stock animation, it puts its filler in the middle of the action, and its adaptation stretches out far too much of the original story. It also changes the story for the worse, meaning the light novels are better.

NEXT, it kind of does. The OP will always be unskipable, and it does a better job of adapting and improving on the light novels. However, it still has the issue of cheap animation. Nonetheless the entire ensemble is very enjoyable and you might find yourself surprised with it.

TRY, absolutely. Jumping the shark with a "what the fuck is even going on" plot, shipteasing, and having a third-rate villain pull on the audience's heartstrings brings the third season home. It's completely bonkers, but is severely hurt by having one of the absolute worst filler gaps ever seen in anime.

Revo / Evo-R are two half seasons that are critically panned for good reason. It retreats back to the light novels despite having gone far and beyond that point, it introduces a Digimon universally hated, and it didn't introduce key plot points that devoted Slayers fans were looking forward to. Most people say you can skip it, but I suggest watching it anyways to get a greater appreciation for the light novels, should you ever be interested in reading.

Then there's the OVAs and movies, and I have yet to hear of anyone complain about those. They're funny, they don't take anything too seriously, and with the exception of Slayers Premium the dub is equally as strong as the sub. In fact, I personally find Kelly Manison a better fit for Naga the Serpent than Maria Kawamura.

Attached: the pose.jpg (900x700, 172K)

I'm watching Next right now and i'm in love with every part of it.

How far in are you? Will you finish it tonight? Who's your favorite character?

Help this thread live!

Attached: bluest blues.jpg (1080x1510, 303K)

Is this the kind of show that the animation is half the fun or is the light novel fine?

This is the kind of show where the VAs are half of the fun. Rui Araizumi, the artist of the light novels, doesn't call Megumi Hayashibara "Her Excellency" for no reason. The light novels are good in a different way, but Lina being Lina is a big draw.

Attached: what the hell was that.jpg (1920x1080, 405K)

you'll remember the characters forever and forget everything else within 2 weeks

Attached: slayer_party.jpg (640x480, 46K)

Attached: how the shot was really taken.jpg (1190x1610, 138K)

>Dub naga is better

you're the reason why we can't have peace in the middle east

Yeah, that's what everyone keeps telling me at work.

Attached: how naga fucked up the shot.jpg (1166x1608, 134K)

...?

Attached: sleepy gourry.jpg (848x1199, 149K)

I watched it a couple months ago.

It was really darn good. A little cliche nowdays, but mostly because it was the originator of all the tropes and jokes. The show itself is wonderfully charming, with a great balance between comedy and action. The character writing is especially entertaining, and manages to create a great balance between their flaws and heroism.

I also can't forget to mention the amazing work Megumi Hayashibara does giving voice to Lina.

It's an absolute classic, go watch it.

Attached: wait what.jpg (1024x959, 150K)

Rewatched it all a couple of weeks ago; it far surpasses anything I've seen this decade.

the lns are pgood too

Attached: slayers special 14 - haunted night.jpg (884x1200, 260K)

...?

Attached: sleepy slayer4.jpg (1200x967, 158K)