Art style regression

What are some examples of manga where the art just gets worse over the years?

Attached: 1567938557085.jpg (1506x2213, 1.26M)

Other urls found in this thread:

natalie.mu/comic/pp/younganimalzero
3lion-anime.com/special/endcard/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bottom looks better though

Fuck off, you need to get your eyes checked if you think yoshI's art regressed.

New chapter is out?

HxH, SnK, OP, JoJo, BnHA

His old art look ass compared to now. The image you picked are one of the only good ones, retard.

Berserk peaked with Falcon of the Millennium Empire. Fantasia's arc is yikes

Why is there never an art progression thread? Why does Yea Forums love being negative so much?

I can tell you OP didnt actually fucking read tsugumomo and just got the first image he can get off google from the description

>HxH
this and DB

Attached: hxh art shift.jpg (1514x800, 443K)

I doubt Miura is still drawing it.

OP's a fucking retard.

Attached: 1491165710194.jpg (1887x2665, 852K)

>bottom
>comparing a smaller panel to a double spread
Now I'm thinking that you are a bigger retard than OP, user

Nigga, he has drawn the middle image more than twice. It doesnt look any better than what you see compared to later

>comparing a smaller panel to a double spread
They do this with vinland saga every thread.

He's drawing it digitally.

>he has drawn the middle image more than twice. It doesnt look any better than what you see compared to later
Then why not make it fair and compare a double spread with a double spread, nigger?

>SnK
What? How stupid are you?

I don't believe that's the reason.

Attached: ajin.png (1710x1151, 2.84M)

Oh, lets just pretend you didnt see the other image.

Attached: 20190914_194446.jpg (1902x991, 656K)

nice upscaling

>soul vs soulless

Well it is.

Attached: oh god.png (561x794, 807K)

It's not even upscaled, you fucking
idiot.

Its less polished but not in any way worse. Expand on why if you want to stand by that idea.

You know nothing about drawing if you think going digital makes you forget anatomy and perspective. Also what you posted is not drawn by Miura so you already have no point.

Attached: 1527265022747.png (1672x1200, 919K)

The right one is much better and a lot more intricate.
The left one is very generic

Speaking of this, why is Ajin so unpopular here?
Shit has been getting realer than real in the latest chapter.

Old one just has more detailed hair, new one actually has better anatomy.

I haven't read it but if it's unpopular here, it's probably good.

Because seeing the same boring gary stu villain doing fuck all in almost every chapter gets stale pretty fast, the manga has no real plot

Op is full of shit. Hamada's art post ch 30 is phenomenal

Attached: x37.gif (836x1200, 1.16M)

There have been though, OP is just a fag.

Bottom is technically better but the concept is worse.

Switching from traditional to digital is tough and takes getting used to. Also Miura has always been wonky with perspective.
>Also what you posted is not drawn by Miura so you already have no point.
Source?

Attached: x18.png (836x1200, 413K)

I don't see how one is better than the other though?
Plus, those are two different monsters with two different characters who have different experience, style, etc.

Enough lewds. Gonna redpill everyone into reading tsugumomo

Attached: x29.png (797x1200, 336K)

Attached: x30.png (795x1200, 345K)

>comparing a small panel to a spread
>ignoring that the background in the spread was near-rotoscoped.
Miss me with that shit.

Berserk

The only tough switch is about technique but he already had the drawing skills. I'm 99% sure he isn't drawing it anymore. The digital excuse doesn't work when his artstyle changed so much you can thell it's not him.
>Source?
He's only credited as the author. The artist is Studio GAGA who are a group made up from his former assistants.

Attached: x23.png (2230x1600, 1.31M)

>rotoscopped
Maybe if you actually watch his stream, you would know how he does it

Do you even know what rotoscoping means?

Attached: x14.png (815x1200, 226K)

It looks like his artstyle but poorly transitioned into digital imo.

I know he's only doing storyboards for the one shot but I can't find anything saying he didn't draw the promo art.

Attached: newold.jpg (2039x1302, 589K)

I believed the digital excuse at first too but the recent chapters changed my mind. Everything is overly detailed but you can tell there is something wrong with the foundation of the drawings. It looks like someone is copying his artstyle but doesn't have the same level of skill.

I remember 10 years ago when this was the new hotness on Yea Forums but couldn't find translations. Now I'm wondering why it's still fucking going.

natalie.mu/comic/pp/younganimalzero
Miura confirms he's still drawing the characters in Berserk aside from background characters like soldiers.

It's a monthly manga, and it still have stuff to cover.

stop playing dumb, you know exactly that he meant tracing which the author actually does

the main character isn't interesting enough and the manga doesn't focus on him. i was expecting shonen shenanigans with monthly villains using ajin like jojo stands. but instead we get an endless government vs ajin arc that'll never end.

Attached: h8qjddujed811.jpg (1110x777, 306K)

OPM.

But user he must be lying about it, the conspiracy theory is obviously true. It can't possibly be that his style simply got worse after switching to digital.

> stop playing dumb
You can show me the part where he rotoscopes a fucking bg on his stream. He saves that shit nowadays.

Attached: analog vs digital berserk.jpg (704x669, 106K)

Attached: 66452405_147271159804333_5138950275787350879_n.jpg (1080x1350, 289K)

>It can't possibly be that his style simply got worse after switching to digital.
You're right, that's very unlikely. But look his new manga is drawn by his assistants and it looks exactly like the new Berserk chapters. How strange considering even if you copy an artstyle it will never look exactly the same.

JoJo peaked in style in part 3

Attached: every face in 8.png (500x500, 150K)

Attached: Screen_Shot_2019-09-13_at_11.12.29_AM.png (618x612, 614K)

Now hold on. It got better but it still looks like shit.

part 8 background characters are nightmare fuel I don't know what creatures he uses as references

Attached: DktiNeyVsAIlx5B.jpg_large.jpg (1110x777, 446K)

Attached: Screenshot_489.png (1496x628, 555K)

Attached: Screenshot_481.png (1914x898, 677K)

Attached: Screenshot_484.png (1920x894, 608K)

This says he's storyboarding and correcting the art.

Although I like Kumeta's newer styles more than his older styles.

Attached: Kaizou.jpg (1525x2400, 704K)

>30 deleted posts
the fuck happened?

Interesting to know, it's clearly NOT plainly drawn by his team of assistants because it's still Miura through and through.

Anyone translated this interview?

Yeah it's one thing to be adjusting to digital workflow and tools, but it actually doesnt take that long to get used to it and get back up to snuff

3lion-anime.com/special/endcard/
>[第23話]
>イラスト:三浦建太郎
Miura did not draw this for Umino Chika, no way, he forced his assistant to draw it and took the credit.

Attached: edcard23.jpg (1080x755, 230K)

>regression
He got better though?

Attached: Tsugumomo_art_improvement.jpg (1395x1965, 1.19M)

some argument about rotoscoping

Did Miura go colorblind too?

His coloring has always been kind of shit.

But the first picture is neither detailed nor stylized, so it's an overall improvement.

Old art style is less generic and looks cleaner. Also, why did you purposely pick a lower quality for the top spread?

Attached: 3.jpg (1740x1248, 763K)

user, that's much worse, not better

There are other mangaka who are great traditional artists and wonky at using digital, like Masami Kuramada and Yumi Tamura.

New one still looks better.

*kurumada

He's too formulaic now
The underlying repeating patterns are too noticeable and it makes the art boring to look at

You guys need to get your eyes checked if you can’t tell why bottom is better.
>better composition and placement of onomatopoeia
>better gesture
>more movement
>speedlines on the characters to help emphasize movement (top looks like they’re standing still) (I should also add that bottom is significantly more time consuming as well).
>toning is overall better
>pose of the girl on the left is better, to help emphasize the movement
I could go on...

How come no one mentioned nihei yet.

Attached: Nihei_Sidonia.png (1195x1181, 766K)

Because it’s too painful to talk about.

his new art style still looks less generic than most of modern manga

I don’t feel like posting examples but the Genshiken mangaka’s art got really bland. The beginning of the series is absolute soul and part two through Spotted Flower is soulless.

Is tsugumomo good fap material?

Attached: 838eeb43-f440-4f2f-81c8-f9b83a7d9349.png (1094x1000, 409K)

That’s subjective to what “generic modern manga artsyle” is.

Right is objectively better, but MHA is still shit.

>It got better
>examples of manga where the art just gets worse over the years
Fucking idiot.

Why does Deku have such a punchable face?

5toubun mangaka. Now everyone look like a midget.

Don't you mean part 5

For b/w inking work? Digital painting or coloring I can see issues for due to complexity and all the options available but a black pen brush shouldn't be too hard to get a handle on after some months

Imagine having tase this bad.

maybe miura learns from deviantart tutorials

now that's a theory I can believe in

God I wish Miura wouldn't shade skin with black. It makes everyone look like propped up drowned corpses, You would think he would understand red tones look better but I guess 99% of his work is in black and white so who knows. And the eyes are about 30 steps too far into 'plastic doll' territory.

This.

I really dislike how it got needlessly realistic as it went on. It's like games that start off with nice semi realistic art styles and then fall for the hyper realism meme because more detailed automatically makes something better

Yeah he should draw more generic anime style!

>make everyone sticc, even characters who were first potrayed as very muscular
>random fucking holes in outfits
>gay parade color scheme
Part 3 was peak, 4 was decent, 5 is where it went to shit

No professional shades skin with black.

Everyone in this series does

Except Miura

>Jojo
I like part 1 and 2 but come the fuck on user

Nanatsu no Taizai.
Compare the first and the last chapters it's like night and day. I don't know what to post without cherrypicking.

both of you are stupid fucktards

JoJo has always and will always look fantastic.

That's why his skin looks like shit.

You should never go with black because real skin doesnt have blacks in it.
Blues, greens and reds, sure.

>plaster some cgi filters
>OMG SO GOOD
Check yourself cuck.

could someone explain me why? Is it like when Goya made snow yellowish because in reality snowflakes are not bright as sunlight?

Naruto was a lot better in the first few volumes, before Kishimoto got all those assistants and switched to a cleaner art style. The writing regressed more than the art, though. From a hard working loser MC to another chosen one.

Attached: original1.jpg (728x1097, 91K)

There are professionals that shade with black and there are some that don’t shade at all.

You wouldn't even know who Kumeta is if he hadn't made the switch to his minimalistic style.

I dunno what this is but they both look great so I assume you’re baiting about it

To answer your question seriously, Yukito Kishiro

>From a hard working loser MC to another chosen one
He had the nine tails power since day one and it was plain as day who his daddy was.

I didn't even know it was still ongoing.

For now, mangaka wants to add ntr and cuckshit but is being stopped by the editor.
Everyone is beginning to drop it already.

>Why does Yea Forums love being negative so much?
This is an imageboard thing in general, honestly.

Never read this but the second one is blatantly better everywhere you look, y’all are high

am not really a fan of the earlier chapters, but the recent one have pretty good material

Attached: Tsugumomo (4).png (836x1200, 371K)

He probably means from Part 7 to Part 8

Because skin has blood underneath and if you shade with black everyone looks like a corpse.

>professionals that shade with black
Do you have examples? I want to see how they make it work.

sadly no translation yet

I think the worst thing about this comparison is the difference in contrast
I knew exactly what I was looking at in the top image but the bottom took me a second

I'm not going to say there's not some mangaka that just get worse over time, but I'm sure a lot of theses artists always have to find a middle ground between how much time they can put into their drawings, and when the next chapter is due. They probably just get used to that in between over time.

>muh generic artstyle!
can people stop writing this? Stop using reddit buzzword and explain with real words.

The sound effect looks like part of the background

Are you a bit mentally retarded?

>dumbass artlets responding to this or OP post
>"NOOO ITS WORSE MY SOUL"

die you fucking retards

>artlets
tell that to the berserkfags

Nothing wrong with any of that. I meant that they retconned his last name into the Uzumaki clan, which was related to the 1st Hokage. Then they made him the reincarnated soul of Ashura, the sage of the 6 path's son.

Attached: ashura-and-indra-sons-of-hagoromo1.png (847x450, 54K)

Unironically Tokyo ghoul

>Old art style is less generic
the background looks like shit.

but user new one is sooooouullesssss !!!!!!

theyre both cgi so that applies to both regardless

>cgi
You mean he's tracing 3D models or what?

People dont have the vocabulary, so they use meme and buzzword idiocy to hide the fact they don’t know anything

Soul, generic, bland, edgy and so on is NOT enough to describe an object.
People don’t even explain how it makes them feel, what the lines or shadows or whatever does in the picture, why a composition doesn’t work. They don’t explain anything. It’s just white noise 99% of the time.

What, how? While the writing got worse and art in the final arc felt rushed, Ishida is one of the few examples where the author drastically improved his art throughout their series. The art in the OG only started getting good in the middle and still lacked things like shading and the anatomy was off most of the time.

Attached: tg .jpg (1500x630, 186K)

He doesn’t know what he’s saying. He’s just posting buzzwords.

>soul vs soulless

shut your fucking mouth

One Piece still occasionally has great panels, but Oda will never top the level of style and detail he had in Thriller Bark.

His art is merely good enough these days, not phenomenal.

Attached: thriller-bark.png (1534x1200, 369K)

chapter 1 (im on mobile sorry idc)

Attached: IMG_20190914_182524.jpg (720x531, 234K)

chapter 155

Attached: IMG_20190914_182505.jpg (720x514, 209K)

the new designs for the Strawhats = Shit

Attached: BqdK31k.jpg (3589x3331, 962K)

got worse

I feel the designs of the characters have taken a hit. Everything has become more cartoony, more rounded.
His lines have become worse too. They don’t say what they should clearly, it’s all very muddled and chaotic

No amount of filters can fix it

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1014x1302, 227K)

What is this manga OP ?

Looks like claymation

It's mentioned in this very thread

I really don't know what's happening with Berserk anymore
How can Miura be so bad at coloring when he used to be so good at values?
Even if all the art is made by his assistants, how come he keeps them if they are obviously so incompetent

No mention of +tic neesan yet? That series plummeted hard after the artist switched to digital, and hasn't recovered.

God, this face...

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-14 a - Art style regression - Anime Manga - 4chan.png (295x375, 97K)

He still does a lot of work on Berserk. His assistants are the ones working on tones, buildings, and stuff like soldiers in the background.. Miura still draws most of the characters and the background itself.
And one of his goals with his new series is to train his assistants so that they can take on work that he's been doing on his own until now.

Because he doesn't draw it anymore.

Stop spreading fake news.

Do you have any arguments against it?

He was always bad at colouring, are you new?

doesn’t take a genius to see how the last few arcs after Arima’s death were of poorer quality than before. Less tension, drama, personal development, etc. Things the series was known for, in the first place.

Not only the artstyle.

Attached: Urabe_Fall_from_grace.jpg (2250x1600, 972K)

the digital colouring techniques are such a disgusting combination. Things that stand to be distinct from each other like rickert's hand and the crossbow melt together in a blurry sludge while other parts that should be blending in like the curtain to the side stand out so starkly because the outline is that harsh. And Erika's skull is just fundamentally fucked up. Her mouth makes no sense is she a sesame street puppet? I want to say A step back his massive can't just be blamed on switching mediums. Miura's just forgotten what a face is shaped like on top of it all. You can even see in the traditionally drawn pic of the two of them linked earlier in the thread that they're heads had structure underneath. The cheekbone was lit where it was supposed to be, the nose was well defined. But now everything is just blurry blobs.
Now i'm mad as hell

True, is also what I said in my post that the writing got worse and worse due to him getting burnt out. Still, the art practically got better or remained consistent with the exception of few chapters in the final arc where he tried to wrap things up as quickly as possible which ultimately affected the art. Also, I think it was from Vol 9 onwards, when he tried experiment by interweaving digital with analog which also contributed to the art being slightly worse than everything pre-Vol.8

jesus, right looks like a rough draft

looking at it again the shading on her head is exactly as bright as the curtain even though she's a good distance into the carriage. There should be at l least some shadow there right now it gives the impression that her head is in front of it. And what's up with her hair having zero highlights while her skin does? hair is fuggin glossier than skin MIURAAAA

>comparing a traced over photobash to sci-fi architecture drawn in proper perspective
You don't understand how manga is produced.

Except mid-end part 7 is objectively the best he's ever been?

Attached: x22.jpg (1520x1200, 988K)

>user posts sound reasoning
>You respond with buzzwords
I sure know who I'm going to think is right.

HxH, Naruto, D Gray Man, Gunnm and Last Order, also I dislike Nihei new style, I would not say it got worse but just that his new choices are poor.

There were better examples but I was too lazy to find a fitting page. I just wanted to show the stark contrast of this change in artstyle.

>tfw both look amazing to me
>tfw when artlet
How can you look at this and say "Clearly this man has no skill"

This whole thread doesn't know anything about drawing.

Middle top right kanekibis probably the best, though. Ishida does not regress but mutates certain character portrayals as more and more androgynous and babyfaced, Kaneki being the most obvious. That is an issue imo.

I'm amazed that nobody complained about the sexualized lolis, given how well known and popular it is

This.
Seething.

I know you're baiting by using Yea Forums-tier buzzwords, but can you explain how the art regressed in TG?

Damn. I never realized it was that bad. Doesn't the mangaka have Parkinson's disease or something?

Attached: 1409301524176.jpg (798x643, 186K)

I would take worse art in a heartbeat if he actually delivers on the premise of the son dicking his mom.

nu chrollo looks practically the same except the nose
hisoka looks worse though

>Colored

>maymay arrows

>tfw didn't read the chapter numbers and was wondering why you'd think his art got worse
What the fuck

There's nothing to discuss to be honest, it's a pretty straightforward, hype-less series.

When is this series fucking ending?

Not really, the old Berserk illustrations had great atmosphere.

Attached: mt43o0r.jpg (1400x1963, 784K)

go back to Yea Forums

Have decent quality b&w scans come out for part 7 yet?
Genuinely asking.

Cringe and soullesspilled.

Attached: soul.jpg (1358x1920, 588K)

Please tell me this was coloured by a colour blind fan.

Depends if you think these are decent or not

Attached: Y4.png (1740x1400, 967K)

Attached: 1566680678032.jpg (884x972, 290K)

wait, is this the magazine or the tankobon?

Low self esteem

Netflix killed any fanbase going on around here.

>hair is fuggin glossier than skin MIURAAAA
Depends on the age you're talking about. If soap and shampoo did not exist yet, then no. It gets oily and more matte with dirt with time.

Japanese manga taught me to love things a piece at a time, because they can turn to shit in the blink of an eye.

Look at that shit! I can't read that knowing it's not gonna evolve into porn.
Does the author do porn?

>Hating on based Satou

Attached: sato idea.png (602x279, 166K)

quints and kaguya fell off fast

That goes for anything in life.

That's even more bullshit.

Attached: Volume 19 JoJolion_v19_[HWMN].zip-JJL_v19_ch076_087.png (900x1400, 289K)

imagine being this retarded

Attached: 1568075809874.jpg (479x426, 69K)

Not that guy but I still think of that dog sometimes. I'm scared to see it animated.

I love how Hunterfags invade threads just to preach how it's the God send of manga when the art is sketch worthy compared to all the other big selling manga today.

Still better than SnK at least.

I love TG and definitely don't agree with that other retard user but even Ishida himself said that the art peaked in Volume 8.

That kid looks like a goblin.

vol. 8 of og or :re?

Volume 8 of :re of course. Even if you're an idiot like that other user it's obvious that the art got considerably better from even Volume 8 to Volume 14 of the original so there's no way Ishida would think that's the peak.

old one really only has more assistant stuff like the hair and tone. That strap looks kinda rushed on the new one too.

Aside from that the asymmetric stance alone makes the new one a better piece of art, those clothes also show a way better understanding of folds, face shadows show more detailed knowledge of anatomy and shapes.

to be fair, mangakas get old too. Experience is good and all that but drawing is part of a mechanical skill. Getting old and sickness can undermine your performance.

Maybe the drop in art quality after vol. 8 can be explained with what this user said (if its true) >Also, I think it was from Vol 9 onwards, when he tried experiment by interweaving digital with analog which also contributed to the art being slightly worse than everything pre-Vol.8

The art looks so bad and stiff now, I couldn't even read the new chapters. Pity, since it's one of my favourite manga.

Attached: 51u800jdsVL-horz.jpg (698x499, 275K)

Because he is obviously still a master at his craft and throws shapes and textures on the paper like its nothing.

For something obviously drawn on a tighter budget with stricter time restrictions Sidonia looks great.

Soul vs Soulless

filter for those words, when?

>Nihei
>tracing architecture

The manga itself is blatantly porn except genitals aren't explicitly drawn. Seriously, drawing naked girls was always the artist's intention but I'm so mad at how pointlessly pornographic Tsugumomo's gotten.

What do you think they should be replaced with?

Some kids are chubby, retard. In any case Tsurugi's expressions are fantastic.

Attached: tsurugi.png (542x376, 396K)

while Miura's digital work isnt as good as his traditional, the guy barely started, compared to all his years working on paper, and not to mention at such an advanced age.

He's going to improve with time, also he mentioned in an interview that his editors and assistants constantly tell him to stop adding details that just eat time, maybe hes starting to pay attention to them

Attached: notstolen.jpg (539x569, 80K)

All of Araki's kids are hideous, he doesn't know how to draw them

It can be mostly explained by Ishida's burnout and wanting the story to be finished quickly, so he rushed quite literally everything including the art which made it lower quality. I would assume that what that user said, if it's true, would have been because he wanted to have it done faster.

Looks like an adult that was run over by a road roller da

you posted the peak of his art though
nowadays he is even better, but he doesn't try nearly as hard. some pages of the tournament arc were painful to look at, you could see how rushed they were and how bored the author was getting

>left girl: drawing from reference
>right girl: drawing from memory
the grip and the legs give it out completely

Drawing is a huge pain I wish you could just print out pictures from your brain

That's not regression OP.
They are just slaying different stuff.

Yes, the image on the left is photobashing, almost everyone in art does it.

That is probably a thing that could happen in the distant future. And man it would be pretty great.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

That would also mean your darkest secrets get printed on paper

Only if you're forced. I guess something like this would probably make torturing a lot easier.

this user is clearly a fucking retard that his parents dropped on his head

Attached: 1497085485626.png (1920x1200, 1.62M)

Haikyuu, but in Furudate's defense he was forced to change his style to accommodate the speed increase in publication.

This thread is probably very bad

its mainly background stuff and some manikins in questionable positions and real lolis for some lewds

forgot pic

Attached: buttstuff.jpg (2133x1522, 985K)

your own opinion in your own words, not some braindead meme

>implying hes ever going to bang the mom
You are gonna get 50 more chapters of shit before another weak ass ending and you are gonna like it

looks like sakimichan drew this

an art style transfer AI might

it's pretty obvious, even not knowing who the author is, that the MC is ending up with his classmate that is his mom but younger and not his mom.

the trees and houses look better on the top, but the bottom one is just better in every other aspect.

Nonsense

Attached: hxh.jpg (2132x1600, 1.16M)

>Kaguya
Huh?

Attached: IMG_20190914_150906_548.jpg (1747x2048, 985K)

>Tsugumomo
>Art style regression
Kill yourself

what's the excuse? Does he actually give 0 fucks?

pretty much. Just like with Eva they know old fans will eat anything up

Looks like he lost all motivation. Or he has some kind of health problem.

I know its retarded, I was wondering what a good filter would be, something funny preferably.
Can't think of a good one off the top of my head.

That's why i don't read it.

Its a fucking trainwreck - everyone that posted in here deserves a long ban, I'm fine with being included.

holy shit the top left kek

Nah that would be this thread

Why did everything get so rounded?

Attached: kenshin.jpg (636x378, 39K)

Goddammit.

Because he likes his characters like he likes his women, looking as young as possible.

doesnt make sense since pedos tend to stay away from round things

"he" is a she you dumb cunt

Must've been reading it left to right.

Is he taking hormones now?

SnK has terrible art.

this thread is basically people taking two completely different pages with different connotations and trying to make a point. I see no regression on OPs pick desu

holy shit I forgot this manga existed

It's diferent context. In my opinión it still have Nice art.

The Adam Sandler of manga.

Why the fuck is he 40 in the second one, holy shit

I'm totally convinced Miura I'd actually dead and they don't know how to break it to the public

Attached: Ganishka_Manga.jpg (1050x1443, 458K)

tea some people dont appreciate motion blur in drawn form. the reality is that animators use the source amterial pretty accurately and if you dont motion blur it in manga then when its animated everything looks wrong and you get season 2 one punch man shit despite it having been motion blured in the manga (they hate one so they shit the bed intentionally but wouldnt do it to a no name who gets their work picked up). every scene that looked bad while animated had that overly clean look

Wasn't there a recent picture of him

In OP's defence, art progression is assumed to be common and art regresseion less common making a more interesting thread topic

in the last few months i've seen at least 3 art progression threads and this is the first time i've seen a regression one so idk what you're on about

It's called hatched shading you moron.

Let's be real Miura's coloring has always looked like this.

I dont fucking get this shit. This face has two different eyes merged together and a gap in his front teeth. How many blows to the head does it take for someone to provide this example?

>but we need a finished manuscript, Togashi
>fuck you here storyboard

Pretty sure that user was referring to shading with translucent black (i.e. shades of grey, rather than shades of another colour) in coloured artwork, not black and white pen shading techniques. Look at the shadows on Erica's neck and clavicles on the left image in . It makes her skin look ashen. The right image looks much better despite its odd mix of pen and coloured shading because he used colour saturation to indicate shadows as well.
Plain black shadows are pleb-tier in general, but they're still used even by professionals so it's not that shocking. It's also a common beginner's mistake when switching from traditional media to digital.

Attached: color_theory_part_3_by_johnofthenorth_d8nd9tu.jpg (1920x1265, 573K)

yes

Attached: 1543457504903.png (1753x1400, 700K)

Oh, was he talking about the left image? Yeah that's pretty terrible looking.

And plain black shadows can look very striking if done well. Just look at Red Line.

>He's going to improve with time
Yeah I'm sure he'll improve in no time, doing 1 chapter a year.

>miura
>"he'll improve with time"
kek

Togashi is the biggest hack of the industry, even early YuYu Hakusho is drawn better

Why the long faces, m8s?
Picked up

I thought the pages were supposed to get fixed for the volume release?

He hardly does his job and when he does he gives shit art. It's safe to say he doesn't have a singe fuck let to give

Attached: 2marylandcrabs.jpg (500x499, 82K)

lol

Attached: file.png (2068x2561, 3.63M)

Attached: 1567832436191.png (1101x429, 690K)

lmfao
She looks like the nigger caste of indians.

He's been less round in the last decade. Oddly he resembles early Kubo more than anything else now.

Attached: 1543379866238.jpg (864x1400, 727K)

I love the early bleach art but late bleach looks amazing

Don't know what the fuck happened to him

Attached: Waita.jpg (2140x1500, 1.03M)

Bleach does have some great art, but day one bleach was shit.

the artist clearly got better and started to draw better the characters instead of easy to draw cartoons

are you stupid the background and the attention to detail in every drawing this arc is incredible you boomer fag

This, it always looks uncanny as fuck, digital just maximizes that.

I can't normally see those changes on mangas, but doujins are a different thing.

Attached: 1539623848121.jpg (1906x1789, 1.21M)

Yeah I was talking about the left image but I’m a retard who can’t express myself. Miura clearly is a black and white kinda guy, but he really should practice his coloring skills.

If only his backgrounds had as much detail as his characters.

bump

God it's gotten so bad. The guys got the rights to his own shit and pretty much just gave up
>The Heart

He can't be fired because they gave him the rights. And his fans are the biggest retards imaginable and take his story board tier drawings as "subversion" or some other retarded shit.

It's a little better if you brighten it up so the darker shadows feel like they make a tad more sense.

Attached: 1568462969401.jpg (1012x1297, 1.47M)

>I would assume that what that user said, if it's true, would have been because he wanted to have it done faster.
Spot on. When he commented on Vol. 9 he said the following:
>Transitioning from from full digital to half-digital
From this point on, the idea of “How can I finish my manuscript quickly?” greatly occupied my mind.
I think it was around this time that work for another series (the game) came in. If I remember correctly.
I had been drawing fully digital this entire time, but for this volume I experimented by interweaving digital with analog.
We live in an era crazy about speed.
However, because I couldn’t control the screen anymore, I had a rough time drawing this volume. I used a G pen to draw the characters. The line drawings were uploaded with the scanner, and I finished the final touches digitally. Since it doesn’t take a lot of time to write the storyboard, during this period I could finish the manuscript in 2.5 days, and set aside 4 days for other work.
Thinking about the manga now, it would’ve been better if I’d spent my extra time focusing on it, but back then I thought doing this would be the best.
This volume is the only volume where the characters were entirely drawn in analog. Since then, it has changed to drawing in analog for quick things, and for things that need to be drawn with more skill, drawing it first in analog before going to digital.

Miura apologists are quite something else.

Isn't that just the manuscript?

Are you stupid?

I think that's just because the bottom image was scanned poorly.

This is about art style regression, not improvement.

Attached: do these look like the faces of mercy.png (882x1400, 730K)

I think this is meant to show progression, MC has been stealing mom's moves the entire time. The difference is mom does it so clean/easily, he's struggling. I think we'll get another scene like that aping mom, this time MC doing it cleanly to show he's on her level, thus at the point in the story to finally fight her.

The right panel isn't normal.
But on moe it is.

I thought translations disappeared like 3 years ago after the anime hype died (because the second half went way too filler). The thing I remember was MC about to fight Sato in a steam room, easily 3-4 years ago.

New looks better.

That just looks different.

Soon
Because it's only TRANSLATED OFFICIALLY by Kodansha

Bleach

God I love Akane

he said style, and 8 has a horrendous one

Only for the people in the background

Bump

What manga is this

The old characters are literally unrecognisable what the fuck

I should reread early Bleach to reabsorb peak kubo

Because it's not moetrash, shonenshit and isekaishit which are favorites of Yea Forums

Do you think that's the only time he ever draws? while doing berserk?
He has done so before, first chapters were nothing compared to later on

Kaguya is pretty no matter the artstyle

>realism bad

Hisashi Hirai, holy shit.

the only true answer, lol

>tfw animeonlyfag and watching thriller bark for first time
So damn comfy. And spooky too. Post-TS One Piece has been soulless. Not really sure why, maybe because too much of the world has been revealed and it's not as mysterious anymore? Art going downhill and being barely coherent is a big factor too. I have to strain myself to make sense of anything that goes on in a panel.

Gunnm peaked in Last Order, brainlet. It only got worse in Mars Chronicle because he's too old to draw it as detailed as it used to be with only himself and his son to help him.

Attached: Battle Angel Alita - Last Order - c038 (v07) - p034-035 [Digital-HD] [danke-Empire].jpg (2673x1956, 3.77M)

anime fault

What? he was always on weekly schedule.

Attached: Tsutomu Nihei old vs new style.png (1355x1000, 1.35M)

>new style
Are you serious

Attached: Aposimz.png (1127x1600, 1.69M)

I didn't make the image. It probably just refers to the first half of biomega vs the second half.

what about those italian porn artists like serpieri or munuera ? they all use black hatchings

this one actually looks good

I don't get all the wailing about the art in Aposimz. It's amazing how Nihei still manages to go crazy with the architecture with such light colors.
My only complaint if any is he doesn't draw the weird Blame! faces anymore. I liked those.

>Everything has become more cartoony, more rounded.
That's him getting better at forms. Everything in early One Piece looked like they were made out of bent paper.

Because he's always wearing a huge goofy smile now. I mean holy shit last chapter had Bakugou trying to brag that he'd have mastered all of OfA's powers by now and Deku just wore the same retarded expression on his face and fed into his ego, along with All Might. Shit fucking irritates me how a lot of his personality has just evaporated as he's fallen in line with a bunch of stock shonen protag shit.

Bottom is way better in terms of style.

The manga was always meant to be more cartoonish, which is why Luffy was given rubber powers. That said the way he draws female characters is downright lazy; I don't even mean as some bullshit twitter "sexy=bad" thing but they literally all look the same compared to the guys.

The proportions aren't even attractive and are fucking ridiculous.

Yeah, look at this generic sexy woman. I'm being offended by her very existence.

Attached: Shinobu_Manga_Infobox.png (346x462, 180K)

right has more soul

In the beginning of the original he tried to make them cutesy while half-through-way he made them edgy all the way to re.

This shit got way too blatant. I read it for the fights, fucking excellent art, and genuine curiosity where the story would go, if I want porn I'll go read porn.

>anons are discussing the generic "sexy" female body type Oda favours
>posts a character who is intentionally unattractive for the purpose of humour
She's Kokoro 2.0,: deliberate anti-fanservice. A character like Sandersonia, who's weird-looking but still kind of hot, would be a better refutation.

Oda's character design is the ugliest piece of garbage I've ever laid eyes on.

What are you even talking about? He was just at the beginning of his drawing career which was the reason why the anatomy was horrible and he didn't really put any effort into shading which resulted in characters looking very dull most of the time, he didn't intentionally make them "cutesy" or some shit he just got better over the time

u jelly

>Aizen
kek

late 2 to mid 4 is peak

Attached: jojochange.jpg (1728x3728, 1.03M)

he doesn't have any time left

it's the best for his new style for sure

He had backgrounds?

anons, u realize that it goes from bottom to top then you people would complain the artist got lazy right?
just admit you hate change, you miserable 30 years old

I'm starting to think that every single mangaka regresses with enough time. Drawing so much just takes it's toll, not only you age and you have more health problems, but also you lose that drive you once head. Decades can do that to the very best.

Attached: battleangelalita.png (2598x1789, 3.2M)

sauce?

Based retard

something something deconstruction and totally not a lazy mangaka

Attached: 1542371462465.jpg (898x1300, 304K)

he has drawn nudes of his characters so if you wanna see their pussies you can look at that

but no no porn

This. I felt that the tournament arc was showing some flaws but still okay, but the Isekai arc really hit the ball
Especially the fact that the cat girl is a unlikable douchebag who justifies backstabbing because she has a sick sister. Some cliche bullshit, that.

The author has always been awful when it comes to faces.

This types of posts would have a point and would be funny if internal thought vomit on the page was giving us new information other than lazily rewriting just he most basic information. Like Law was a captain obvious meme at the same time.

Stop fooling yourself, mha never had soul.

Read Zou, fag.

Mid part 4 had the best artsyle, the only thing that comes close is Part 7

Part 3 and 7 had the best art styles.

something something cherrypicking

Early Part 3 looked horrid, Mid Part 3 started picking things up and has a certain type of S O U L to the art, and late part 3 looked kino

Attached: 002E7DE7-1867-4294-A08D-997F13892D27.png (448x696, 595K)

> It can't possibly be that his style simply got worse after switching to digital.
It didn't. It just changed. After a century of drawing Berserk, he simply finds other things cool now and changed his style accordingly, edgefags just hate that everyone is beautiful now.

It's not exactly uncommon, look at Baki. Basically a different drawing style for every arc, from the beginning where everyone was a little chubby to Pickle-era scarecrows, to what we have now.
Or look at Kengan Ashura beginning and end. Started out in a weird manga-western art mix and became normal manga later on.

Also may I comment on how bad the Colored Manga looks? Black and White looks so much better yet I can never find good scans of it.

Attached: 8EEE55EC-2CBA-4B3D-A7FA-F0B902250976.jpg (580x954, 301K)

Jitsu's early art is so weird, his other works are much closer to Jitsu's later art.

JoJonium Part 3 was on nyaa but it seems to have been taken down.

That’s a really fucking huge F

Attached: 79E61FA3-88B0-4916-84E5-30FDE7AB016A.jpg (1024x1020, 87K)

the all manga is full of cliches to be honest.

Attached: Tsugumomo (3).jpg (643x900, 231K)

Attached: 1544683514041.png (1606x1200, 2.25M)