Viz vs fan translations

Which is better in your opinion?

Attached: images_1568438799647.jpg (456x672, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/7Y9TU78
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends on the manga.

Viz fucked up.

Attached: OMYRUBBERNEN.jpg (1056x692, 196K)

Viz is shit.

need the raw to evaluate

It depends on the project. In particular, Yu Gi Oh had a great translation that retained the original names while maintaining the tone of all of the characters. Dragon Ball had weird changes done here and there, some of which are just straight up inaccurate or made up.

Attached: weird piccolo.jpg (1321x1483, 320K)

>Fan vs Official
Doesn't matter. What matter is the translator in question. Ultimateking was a pretty good one, I wish he didn't drop Mob and OPM.

Viz isn't allowed to curse because of the ratings

I'm surprised Viz didn't jump on the chance to give DB a better translation after Gerard Jones went to prison.

Official translators do not have enough liberty to translate however they feel.

This

I just leave this here
imgur.com/a/7Y9TU78

Oh boy. Yea Forumsnonymous really has done good job on kimetsu.

Are those misprint for those specific physical volumes or problems with all the volumes they printed or even available digitally.

"Official" translation always change stuff even when is wrong so that they aren't the same as fan translations, PIG ASSAULT is a good example

What does the original manga panel say? There aren't swear words in the Japanese language.

There are politeness levels though so poopy mcdoopy is not a translation for yarou.

I think viz has stepped their game up. Their older series were atrociously translated with no respect for the original Japanese to cater the western and under aged audience. Dragon ball would be the prime example of it.

They still mistranlate now and then with the simulpub digital version. For example, they complete misunderstood the character's thought in this page and accidentally called Inosuke a woman

Attached: 18402_demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-chapter-163_002.jpg (784x1145, 236K)

Just like the author don't have liberty to write however he feel.

Here is Yea Forums version

Attached: E2.png (959x1400, 870K)

Wow. Can you provide a few more examples from kimetsu or any other series?

How many more does he need to get the point across? That's pretty conclusive.

They made mistake with the very first simulpub chapter. They made Zenitsu specifically for Muzan in this page.

Attached: Screenshot (150).png (974x874, 610K)

But Zenitsu never mentioned any name. The Muzan is complete a guess from the official translator. And it's a wrong guess too. This is probably the page that convinced anons to continue with their version.

Attached: G18.png (959x1400, 1020K)

Don't have the pic but they have Douma speak Muzan's name but the rule is demon cannot do that out loud. In Japanese the dialogue don't even mention muzan at all.

Damn, is it really this inconsistent? Some of those seem like pretty glaring errors and I hope they aren't in the actual volumes.

Did O MY RUBBER NEN take off as a meme quickly enough for the official translator to realize it and try and distance this line away from it?

Why do people insist on comparing 2 translations, as if that's proof of anything?

If you can't even be bothered to find the raws for comparison, how can you possibly compare shit?

Highly depends on the series (as well as the translator). For translators who are dedicated towards their work will try to make the translation as liberal and possibly close to the japanese. For example Stephen paul- one piece,caleb cook- my hero and dr.stone, jujutsu's translator really like their work and perhaps love the series they translate. Which makes their work to me to the best possible (translated) way to read the series. Even hunter x hunter has good translations.

>Three of them is somehow an error
Tanjiro had Nezuko on his back, so it actually was three of them.

Super Vegetable Person God Super Vegetable Person Fist of the King of Worlds times 20!

Attached: images (3).jpg (481x638, 137K)

>"CRAP! This game SUCKS!"
vs
>"CRAPOLA! This game is DOODIE!"
Which seems more appropriate?

The latter one just makes Saitama sound like a 10 year old kid, which probably isn't how he should sound. Couldn't they have at least replaced the "crapola" with "damn", or something?

NEN GUM I BESEECH YOU

Soulless

Actually no. Zenitsu was only thinking about the guys. He didn't remember Nezuko was in there too until his sparrow reminded him.

Attached: x2.png (959x1400, 977K)

>jujutsu's translator
This one has a twitter and promotes the series regularly too.

Top doubtless, this is why I can never purchase translations of manga, I never trust the translator to do an accurate translation, so I just find a website that has them for free. Free shit is better than purchased shit

Viz sound effects make me irrationally angry. It's always some stupid shit like Drippa Drippa.

Even just by ease of reading the viz version sucks, they just overcomplicate the language for no reason.

But gore is fine?

I suppose it the same how gore is perfectly fine, but boobs and such aren't. I'll never understand it, honestly.

Both are pretty awful, which is why I learned Japanese

Could be worse

Attached: 027.jpg (942x744, 270K)

For the second image, how is that wrong?

His father's name is Tanjurou, "ju" not "ji".

If you need 3 lines for one word you know you did something wrong.

SEVEN QUIRKS I BESEECH YOU

Attached: 5c4b89fc9862d.jpg (950x475, 112K)

>Talking about current events
>For a weekly manga with atrocious pacing per chapter
>Where Deku will remain a basic bitch until at the least chapter 350-400

schizo

Holy shit I never heard about this. I always hated that guy’s manga rewriting though, it was so awful. I would rather read ESL Chinese shit than that guy’s ridiculous unfunny puns and stilted faux Shakespearean babble

I like the way that Viz's translation put more of the narration text into the second box to balance them out, and the written English translation of the SFX, but the actual translation is crapola.

A grown ass man in a fit of rage wouldn't say doody. He'd say shit. UK's translation is more natural, and I prefer the way that the KO bubble is typeset in that one.