Why the fuck is there so much forced, unnatural exposition in anime? Did the japanese not get the memo about the "show...

Why the fuck is there so much forced, unnatural exposition in anime? Did the japanese not get the memo about the "show, don't tell" rule?

Attached: enen.png (1920x1080, 1.6M)

It's a shounen, what exactly were you expecting?
Read/watch better stuff.

You can always say this. Both shounen, seinen and avant garde shit like Lain or Angel's Egg are packed with forced exposition.

forced exposition
soft exposition
native exposition

What part of
>Read/watch better stuff
Did you not understand?
There's a lot of stuff with bad exposition, and those shounen are well known for being full of it. That's because shounen are mainly read by kids with ADHD or bored salaryman on their way to work.
If you want quality worldbuilding stop reading/watching shounen, and start actually searching for the good stuff out there.
Or, if you want to keep watching this shit then stop being surprised with what is basically par for the course.

sage

It's a problem with anime in general, not with shounen. The shows I mentioned aren't shounen.

I personally prefer soft exposition to hard exposition, as I don't need to see the guts and blood of the world's political system to understand why the MC should PUNCH it really hard.
That said, I find native exposition a little... bland... as it makes it feel like nothing ever happens, whereas soft exposition grabs me by my immature ear and yells "THIS IS A STORY EPISODE" so I know to turn the speed dial down to only 2.5x speed because this isn't a filler episode

Have you seen threads for shows without forced exposition? Half the posts are “this is dumb, it makes no sense” and “why didn’t x do y?”

Anime name ?

Because if an anime doesn't tell the viewer exactly what's happening all the time it's "pretentious" and doesn't sell.

Shounen are notorious for abusing exposition, because like I said you're not supposed to pay attention/remember what happened before. Especially battle shounen. When people say you're only supposed to look at the pretty fights they aren't lying, that's the main point of these things, everything else is an afterthought.

And yes, some anime that aren't shounen adaptation have it too, it's just not nearly as frequent as shounen. Although with late night anime the viewer is expected to keep up with the series.

Once again, anime schedule is tight, so if worldbuilding isn't a main focus of the series, chances are the director will just wing it and dump exposition. That plus some people get upset when they don't unerstand everything immediately.

That being said, Lain and TnT are far from abusing it. From what I remember they only use it to throw some hints at the viewer, since the action is so criptic.

Attached: b7d8d1ea1665d8c586785ed0c3acb743.jpg (450x570, 24K)

The last time anime decided to act like the real world with no exposition unless it is shown in a natural way Yea Forums more than half of Yea Forums outed themselves as brainlets who didn't get it.

I'm talking about g-reco. The outed brainlets all flocked over to A/Z.

Anime has 0 subtlety. No wonder so much of the fan base is autistic

Are you having a stroke? ESL? Drunk? are you alright, user?

Just mildly bored and willing to engage with a thread.
Crazy right?

G-Reco is just purposely obtuse and I say this as someone who likes that show a great deal.
>waits 8 episodes before bothering to expand upon what Kuntala are
>information is finally given as exposition by a Kuntala captain ordering a Kuntala to explain what Kuntala are... to a group of Kuntala
Hardly natural.

Its not only anime, it permeates all japanese media. Nip movies and series also suffer from excessive exposition and explaining everything to the viewer multiple times.

>Say the equivalent of nigger casually
>No one needs to explain it at all as it is an understood phrase
>Mask does Kuntala exposition in the guise of motivating his team to perform well (ie We'll show those racist capital tower assholes who's a better fighter)

Literally outed yourself. Back to A/Z for you.

Attached: 1561300233428.jpg (1444x1070, 487K)

G-Reco isn't natural at all, is your typical obtuse Tomino writing
However I agree that Yea Forums was too retarded for it

>motivating his team to perform well
Where does needing to have one of his soldiers explain what Kuntala are when they're all well aware come into the equation here? How is that motivating?

You're watching cartoons.

he's saying its everywhere in anime
like the majority at least
prove him wrong

Fine let me explain this to you in a red(everyone not kuntala) and blue(kuntala).

>Those red assholes look down on us all the time acting like a master race just because they kicked our ass in the past but now we blues will show them who the real master race is by beating down Bellri "my warning shots" kill Zenam

Brainlet user is brainlet

Attached: 1564529668766.jpg (645x1000, 107K)

Maybe you should show it with examples instead of telling?

Because most of it is aimed at a young teen audience, the kind who can't follow the plot very well unless it's spoonfed to them. Adaptations suffer from this when they lazily copy over every bit of narration, sometimes slowing the pacing to a crawl. And battle shonen are especially notorious for this. But when an anime skips over the exposition and leaves clues for the audience to follow, people trash it for bad writing. They like to act like they don't need it, but I've seen great anime get ignored by Yea Forums because everyone dropped it due to not understanding what was going on right away. Anime to most people is something you lazily digest without much thought involved.

Except it's not delivered like that at all. It's literally
>(Mask): I am a Kuntala, and so are all of you. [pauses]What is a Kuntala?
>(Mask Corp. soldier): [explains what Kuntala is]
>(Mask): If we get results, our social standing will improve!
The explanation is absolutely unnecessary and for the sake of the audience. If this is "natural," then it would have been natural for any of the characters to talk about SU-cordism and the photon batteries in detail because it's related to what they're investigating. But they don't because it's a purposely obtuse series.

Because when they do "show don't tell", your kind complains about how you didn't understand anything because you were watching at 50x speed.

What you explained that exposition is about. Masking exposition under the guise of improving team performance/morale/teamwork.

>show relies on heavy exposition to explain shit
DUUUUUUUDEEEE IM NOT A RETARD OKAY??? WHAT BOUTA SHOW N NOT TELLIN'???? DUDEEE

>show is subtle, relies on foreshadowing, clever paneling, parallels and hints instead of bombarding with information
DUUUUUDEEE HOL UPPPP
HOW COME THIS CHARACTER DID THIS???? I DONT GET ITTYY, IT DOEEDNT MAKE SENSEE DUUUUUDEEEE WHAT AN ASSSPULL DUDE HAHAHA
O
MY
RUBBER
MEME
AMIRITE???? WOAH WHAT YOU MEAN READ SLOWER, FUCKING PEDANTIC AUTHOR SHOULD BE MORE CLEAR IN HIS WRITING SMFH SO PRETENTIOUS DUDEEE

>explaining the obvious to a group of grown men is totally NATURAL morale boosting bro
Okay buddy.

Attached: [MD] Robot Girls Z - 01 (1920x1080 Blu-ray AAC) [81AC243F].mkv_snapshot_11.30.588.jpg (1920x1080, 185K)

I never said it wasn't everywhere, just that it's at its most frequent in shounen. And since OP posted a shounen I advise him to stop watchnig those if he wants a chance to find something without infodumps.

You will learn this after watching anime for a few more years. Most anime is actually pretty shit in terms of storytelling. Like 95% of it. Seriously start reading more books if you're interested in a well told story.

And sometimes you get both at once like in Shinsekai Yori.

Because a load of anime fans genuinely have trouble following a show that doesn't tell them everything.

I'm sorry you live in a reality where everyone around you is autistic and insane

>books
>well told story

If you really want a well told story, you must go and find the clay tablets with the epics on them

>recorded stories
Spotted the sodomite.
You only get the good stuff by listening to your local village elder.

Anime is a medium aimed exclusively to little children and retards.

Reco was so bad Tomino apologized for it and is now making 5 movies to try to fix it.

I think it has to do with grounding the conceit with the viewer. I think you can find examples of bad exposition in flicks like Interstellar, but the Japanese do this much better than the West. Even film trailers used to be grounded with exposition during the 1980's and 90's, there was a movie voice to explain everything you needed to know -- today they use rock songs instead and it just doesn't help things.

>local village elder
Faggot. If you're not interpreting meaning out of grunts and groans you're doing it wrong

western media pulls the same shit

'show don't tell' is a universal thing because people, generally, are universally shit storytellers

>'show don't tell' is a universal thing because people, generally, are universally shit storytellers
but less generally, certain groups of people are very ceremonial, so this kind of thing is expected.

It's a problem with any country for media relying on spoken dialogue. You just watch more anime, so you're more likely to encounter the badly written ones.

Japanese story telling in general is very dense. It works well in the written word, but it does come across as extremely full of exposition compared to western media. It’s a matter of taste, I prefer covering more ground like literature than the minimalism of European cinema.

The fact that I could grasp a somewhat coherent argument from this is a sign I've been here too long

There is something to be said about a layman speaker with more than layman’s ideas. If you’ve been here long enough, you learn to decipher that kind of autism.

>it’s one and the other not both
Kill yourself retard, if they didn’t do that you would be bitching about them nothing saying what the facilities are.
Regards think they’re too good for info dumps because they can’t pay attention.

Anime is fucking EXPENSIVE. Every second is a gift. Just be glad such a story can be conveyed in the time allowed.

not reading this thread or watching this dumb show for dipshits but i don't want to "see" a power station being built at the start of solar calendar or whatever the fuck

At least it kept 95% of its exposition to a single episode.

Japanese anime/manga have a hard time with subtle or indirect world-building. Even as a visual medium, they want to explain, rather than show things. Because so much weekly manga (and the anime it's based on), is rushed out on crazy short deadlines, and made-up as they go without a long-term plot skeleton written beforehand; the authors are usually unable or uncomfortable leaving things purposefully unexplained, or someone might think that it was an accidental oversight.

Attached: a mistake.jpg (537x416, 62K)

It's not just a manga thing, Japan in general just likes exposition. Have you read a Haruki Murakami novel? His books are surreal as fuck and even they use exposition.

because of appealing to the lowest IQ in your audience

higher exposition - raises average audience understanding = more complex plot
no direct exposition -leads to low IQ action flicks

anime fights = absurdly complex fights that are 8 minutes of monologue and 2 minutes animation
Hollywood = dumb action movies because their audience will never grasp anything else.

Honestly the most fun ones are the ones where the author goes in without a plan just making up shit along the way not bothering to overly explain and justify everything.

Granted those instantly turn into shit if they get popular and extended out to a billion chapters.

Gotta stay short and sweet.

Can't beleive that nobody here knows the anime in pic ...