Couldn't even get to the FBI arc

>couldn't even get to the FBI arc
Would America have liked the show if it didn't stop being released the exact moment it got more heavy? The introduction of Haibara and the cases getting more serious happen right when the dub stopped.

Attached: case-closed-detective-conan-wallpaper-hd.jpg (1280x1024, 330K)

Other urls found in this thread:

detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/The_Evil_Spirit_Appears_on_An_Unlucky_Day
mov3.co/en/ntv/
youtube.com/watch?v=qdam2XYtYYs
youtube.com/watch?v=i9aJAdxCwdI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That little shit ain’t got nothin’ on Columbo

In the dub universe Conan never learned much of anything about the organization, Haibara never made him a temporary antidote, and his best deductions and tricks never happened. If you only watched the Adult Swim run and then forgot about the series it ends with him seemingly deciding to stay as Conan forever which is a downer.

This pisses me off. They got so close to a great era. I cant watch subs with the people I want to watch Conan with and I would really like for them to see the show at its stride.

Haibara didn't even exist in the dub except for those 2 movies

If a series can't hit it's stride in 50 episodes there is something horribly wrong with the pacing. I can't think of any show especially ones that aired on Adult Swim that takes 50 episodes to get going. Also didn't do it any favors that this was the height of Adult Swim Action. 2003-2006 are when they had their biggest shows. Case Closed wasn't going to compete with FMA, Bleach, NGE, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, GITS, etc. The first season of Conan especially felt overly childish. It may have had a chance had toonami not gone under and they aired it earlier in t he night, but it had no place on Adult Swim.

Yea you don't really get to know her. I don't think her explicitly making the apotoxin comes up in those movies and it takes time to get that the organization killed her sister in a quick intro line. Because of the nature of those opening monologues you never know Conan was involved with her sister either. Shit sucks man.

Just air the plot episodes since americans need it for series that aren't battle shounen.

1 episode a week no reruns or movies. It would take over 18 years to get caught up with this series.

Back on Adult Swim 4 episodes a week was doing alright. Also Funi dubbed over 100 episodes in the back half of 2004. They would have caught up pretty fast, in 2004 there were 300 something episodes.

And you think that Case closed was popular enough to give it 4 episodes a week? The only reason Bleach and Inuyasha got away with it is that they were bring in viewers.

My point was that it was putting out episodes faster than once a week. It wasn't really popular but the reported ratings that are findable online are only in the target demo. Of course that is what mattered but it was also doing a bit better with younger viewers than 18. All the more reason it shouldn't have aired after midnight. Better exposure. It aired during kid hours in other places like Germany or Latin America (which actually had it on CN and not at night) and those places were able to last longer with Conan.

Funimation had a weird way of showing they wanted an adult demographic by honing in on the more childish side of the series. Once the dub ended that era was going to automatically appeal to the correct demographic better with the more mature art style and more serious cases and stories. That's why Case Closed started selling better around Season 5 and the movies.

>FMA
>Early Bleach
>NGE
>Bebop
>Trigun
Man what a fucking incredible lineup

Adult Swim used to be actually cozy. I was hoping Conan could last a bit longer but it really was out of place with those. Conan shouldn't have been on an action block let alone an adult lineup. It was still a part of some nice nights though. Hated that the reception was so divided.

Literally any battle shounen will bring in viewers. Casual fans don't know any other genre.

Conan introducing the FBI and heavier stories in the first 50 episodes wouldn't work. The pacing was fine at the time. Gradually introducing characters and giving their arcs time to breathe was done well enough. We were finishing up with Heiji when the dub ended. He was first introduced in the last Adult Swim episode (so at the end of the 50). Unfortunately adult swim only viewers may believe he had ties to the organization.

Also Conan evolved over time, when it started out its direction was different than when the FBI got involved. It's stride depends on opinion, I have seen it mentioned here before that Case Closed covered what some posters believed to be the best era.

I think there should be a new, condensed re-telling of Detective Conan, kinda like what Kai did for DBZ.
Not only would you cut down the episode count so it doesn't look as intimidating to unknown viewers, but they should go back and better adapt some of those early cases the anime really botched for some reason.
Like on the shinkansen case where we were supposed to know who Gin and Vodka actually were, but the anime backed off and made them to fake guys.
Or when the anime was supposed to kill off Akemi early in the story, but didn't.

Also, everything early on was adapted so badly out of order. The first 3 episodes do the first 9 chapters well enough, but then episode 4 goes all the way to, like, chapter 36 for no reason. They should fix that, too.

Attached: x12.png (1223x1920, 1.29M)

TMS killed the shit out of this show in the states and everyone thinks it was Funimation's fault. The stuff Funi did isn't really touched on like what TMS did:
>name changes and localization
biggest offender, people were already pissed about this and writing the show off before it aired, TMS thought this would make Conan have a better chance in the west but did the opposite
>not giving clear copies of the movies so zooms to hide japanese text in movie intros looked bad
japanese credits in dub releases have or had something to do with standards, movie 1 showed they were fine with having japanese text as an alternative option, normal episode releases didnt change anything but credit text to english, japanese character name cards were unedited) and this is also why grey text boxes happened
>reusing OP 1 and ED 1 in place of OP 2 and ED 2 because Feel Your Heart and Meikyū no Lovers were not given to any international companies
People were expecting these credits to air in 2004.
>same issue for EDs that used future episode credits spoiling shit
>that thing with Heiji just kind of dying
That's off the top of my head. Then there's what Adult Swim did to it:
>airing it past midnight and constantly pushing it into even worse hours with no warning
There were complaints about missing the episodes after the pushback and DVR not catching the episodes or something
>advertising it as "oldschool anime" with Lupin Part II, a 70s show, notably the promo which called it that didn't even use shots of Lupin, just Conan
Its advertising seemed pretty nonexistent as well. It never seemed to show up in lineup promos either.

What Funimation is responsible for is bad though, there are script errors on occasion and a few translation issues like Knight Baron instead of Night Baron and Shelly instead of Sherry but only in Movie 5, in Movie 3 they credit Haibara as her codename, which is never said in the film, correctly as Sherry.
Their video editing had its issues too.

Attached: later cel conan.jpg (1024x768, 107K)

The anime staff expected the series to be a season or two long and didn't want to do a direct adaption of the manga because it would introduce loose ends if the anime ended when they thought. They just wanted to focus on the episodic stuff. I guess it was by Season 5 that they realized Conan was going to be running for awhile because that's when they fixed Akemi's case. I remember hearing they didn't expect Movie 2 until 1 did well enough also. They never bothered to have Conan learn Gin and Vodka's names or even throw in an offhanded excuse as to how he knew them later, which sucked.

I think a condensed Conan would be nice, it would be the best hope for getting the story in America beyond random subbed chunks well after the majority of everything has happened (700+ episodes missing with no plans for those to see official release). Like you said it cutting it down from a thousand episodes would be far less intimidating and to the point. Plot is primarily what the demographic in America wants and it would likely be taken more seriously which is what it needed during Adult Swim and the first DVD runs.

>Also, everything early on was adapted so badly out of order. The first 3 episodes do the first 9 chapters well enough, but then episode 4 goes all the way to, like, chapter 36 for no reason. They should fix that, too.
Yea, like in the Mystery Writer Disappearance where Conan recalled the BO, originally Ai was involved but she wasn't even introduced yet so she was written out.

Even nondirect episodes have the breathing room and tiny relevancy. I think canon only in general would be better for pacing and still cut down the series by so much, especially with years like this hurting the ratio more and more.

Attached: conan tequila.png (640x480, 576K)

I know it wouldnt make sense after this long but in times like these Conan just needs to take off weeks.

It does that for remasters and reruns.

They can keep doing that but I meant weeks with nothing.

They have no reason to, making fillers seems easy for them and they apparently get good ratings. The filler after the case where Conan learns who the boss is got a higher score than it did for both parts. It's either bad taste or just being more interested in new cases they haven't already read. Or both.

Am I hearing this wrong, or does Kogoro refer to himself using Atashi? Isn't this supposed to be a feminine pronoun? What the reason for this?

Example?

Episode 113, about 06:10

Oh yea there doesn't seem to be a w with it. That's odd.

I started watching the series a few weeks back and it's like that every episode until this one. My only guess is that the meaning of the pronoun changed and it wasn't perceived as feminine back in the late 90s, but I really have no idea.

That's interesting, I wonder if any anons might know more about it. I don't know much Japanese so I can't really say much about it, but it seems reasonable that it could have just changed meaning.

Colombo good?

The night would linger on in tireless bliss if you just
Whisper sweet nothings to me all night long
Lying in memories, honey swept away
Lost in thought, I turned over control

Caught up in playful dreams, I drift away as
The truth remains, staying cool and dry
Where will I wander, baby, where will I go
To ensure I have your love by my side

You're near me, but can you hear me
As far away as the clouds above me
Yet I'll follow you, wherever you go
Count on me, I'll be there

And if you someday figure out I love you
And if you someday finally realize I'm good for you
And even if we have to work out our problems with harsh words

And if you someday figure out I need you
And if you someday finally realize I'm good for you
And even if we have to work out our problems with harsh words

Attached: 23.jpg (683x960, 141K)

Please respect Kogoro's pronouns.

I just want to know why battle shounen is the only shit that works.

Americans love superheroes and fighting. Simple as that.

No mention of the new dub? It seems to have good reception and more may be on the way.

Waiting to see what happens. It having good reception is a mix of not that large of an internet crowd discussing it and it selling out at the expo, but it was free and was a 4DX event so that isn't surprising. That did seem to make TMS realize Conan could be profitable in the States again, but the real test is when and if they release the movie to home media. Or select theaters. I'm not sure if they will but they might try. Until then there isn't much to say except certain corners of the DC fandom like it being more close to the original than Case Closed and that its free 4DX con screening "sold out."

I really want TMS to know Conan can have a true chance in America and that there were just too many situational issues with Case Closed which is why it failed. It might not be a battle shounen but it can still get an audience. Just don't try to air it on TV again and instead try to get its attention online. The con was a good start, even if it might popularize performance worse than the original dub.

>Jimmy
>Rachel
>Richard
Oooooof
YIKES

oof and yikes posting is worse than those names

Conan was aired at prime-time in the west originally. It never had a chance.
If they dubbed it like a normal anime without changing the names and shit like that and put it in adult swim or whatever it would have been more popular.

>I think there should be a new, condensed re-telling of Detective Conan, kinda like what Kai did for DBZ.
kill yourself retard

Watashi is the feminine pronoun.

Not him but Conan seriously needs to at least kick the fillers aside, they're over half the series and this year has made it more brutal. The show and story is fine the way it is, at least to me, but condensing it would be highly beneficial to old and new viewers. Too many people dropped it once it was apparent it was going on for too long. People constantly fucking ask for viewing guides. No casual American viewer is going to look at Detective Conan's 1000 episodes and think it is worth it. That could be said for any casual viewer. It makes the series look like it has zero story and no weight. It's part of why people push the narrative that the plot doesn't progress at all since the beginning.

Are you from an assbackwards timeline? Conan didn't air during primetime and it did air on Adult Swim and these were the problem.

Attached: sitting.jpg (640x480, 27K)

Attached: original.gif (500x375, 1019K)

Attached: original.gif (500x369, 1022K)

Attached: 42ad1e04c78d09bd156d5386de0b09c9.gif (303x267, 569K)

Attached: 1564853321113.gif (640x360, 3.78M)

So damn cute.

I have zero expectations for Bang Zoom but am prepared for disappointment.

Conan needs a Gin arc

? No it isn't. Watashi is the default pronoun for any adult.

Attached: 1568392271406.jpg (561x999, 120K)

Watashi is feminine in informal situations, but not unusual for males to use in formal settings. Atashi is a more feminine version of Watashi.

>trigun
>good

Attached: 1398636-1920x1080-[DesktopNexus.com].jpg (1920x1080, 420K)

Haibara BIG

No, Shiho big. Haibara flat.

Please let Sera grow up to be the bustiest female character.

Attached: sera.png (338x297, 113K)

Which episode was Ran dressed as a panda?

I want to see Funi adapt the racist Kogoro scene.

Would SJWs have gone after the anime for this scene?

Attached: EDTIzE-W4AAMl_z.jpg (1280x720, 102K)

No. I think if Conan was popular in America they would have been upset about Eisuke freaking out about gays and Kogoro making a jungle blacks joke but it wouldn't really be a big thing, just posts on blogs and twitter accounts. Funimation would probably alter both on their own but especially Kogoro's scene. That Black Bunny Case scene is nothing. It's dumb that the anime thought it was even worth changing. They need to stop being so uptight about fanservice with females. Sometimes it's downright ridiculous what they cut.

I'm surprised Aoyama never expanded on who that guy from the first case was who was meeting Vodka. He tries all this world building to keep things going but that guy doing something illegal was never taken care of. It'd be cool if he came back near the end being involved with Conan finding the organization .

wrong
someone please post the black from akai's coffee can in clash of red and black and the cock from heiji's halloween party case

Attached: 1566491737225.png (1920x1080, 2.75M)

detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/The_Evil_Spirit_Appears_on_An_Unlucky_Day

thanks

more ran in a bikini please aoyama

Attached: ranbikini.jpg (850x1230, 272K)

Imagine _being Sonoko.

Attached: EBbSpSRUYAAQeqr.jpg (1200x676, 76K)

>Also didn't do it any favors that this was the height of Adult Swim Action. 2003-2006 are when they had their biggest shows.
The sad part was that it wasn't just childish, the first episodes had such a strong classic style to them (not even the one in the image, I mean like episode 1) that the juxtaposition between it, Cowboy Bebop, and newer digital anime made everything think it was old as hell like Lupin. As previously mentioned [as] promoted it that way eventually so it was fucked.

Attached: 58.jpg (1219x1245, 401K)

Why can't she be my gf instead

Which BO member describe yourself the best?

Attached: Vodka_Profile.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-12 00-46-12.png (1600x900, 1.16M)

What would happen if Gosho make canon lesbian and gay couples

I would dig a Conan/Mitsuhiko pairing.

I'd like if one show I was into didn't get caught up in that trash.

Why doesn't Ran get sexually harassed anymore?

Attached: night baron.jpg (972x1600, 633K)

Attached: actress.jpg (640x480, 66K)

I want them to hang out some, he is clearly the more likely to enjoy Conan and his weird little brain quirks.

New episode later.

Attached: 20190822130013615_000.jpg (600x400, 35K)

Vodka, a fucking no one. Does he matter at all? Poor guy.

Please tell me there's more canon cases soon. Please.

Attached: dc.png (1280x720, 646K)

How do we make Gin more popular?

Its airing in a minute?

Yea
mov3.co/en/ntv/

Time for Amuro and Akai to raise the ratings.

When did Conan stop being cautious around everyone? Is he tired of waiting too and is just asking for the Organization to notice him?

Oh shit its occurring.

>conan is trending
>nips screaming on tl
>can't open the stream
What happened?

Attached: 20190914_163104.jpg (1080x222, 29K)

amuro and akai what fucking else

If only the loud fujos could get worked up over the better aspects of Detective Conan and not the things that don't exist.

Attached: art.png (297x522, 291K)

Nice to see best mom again.

Attached: img_yukiko.png (450x720, 45K)

Where is all the mom and son material for these two anyway? She is so open with her son it is a mix between heartwarming and hot.

Attached: yukiko conan.jpg (630x480, 86K)

He is enough. Someone already asked Gosho to give him a shower scene.

>still no chapter about what they're discussing with Yusaku and Yukiko

Yukiko gave them her milk.

I was just watching Haibara's intro case and that random ass narrator scene caught me off guard. What the hell was that?

Please let Shinichi and Ran's first date happen soon.

She is so cute!

Will they go nuts for the case where Heiji almost kisses Kaito? Is that a ship anyone is into?

Sera is an overrated smelly boy.

I want to marry Kazuha.

Damn I havent seen Seraposter in awhile.

Same but only classic Kazuha. Nuzuha looks too off.

Yes!

Attached: [NAOKI-Raws&倉吉観光協会] 名探偵コナン/Part.20-Vol.02 Ep.613 「犬伏城炎の魔 (1024x576, 226K)

With her hair down she manages to be hotter.

Attached: osaka.jpg (736x1091, 203K)

Korn for my autism and Calvados for my love of best girl

>best girl hardly matters

Attached: 1460169223226.png (493x738, 237K)

Is this shit ever gonna get a conclusion?

Been watching for a while, got to episode 400 but took a long break and decided to watch from season 1 upwards. Only watching canon episodes.

Is the story progressing? I've been reading the thread but does it pick up after 400? I have some fun with it, maybe that's all i gotta have to get up to speed in a few months?

We're getting there. If I told you the current progress it would be varying degrees of spoilers. I think your fun should still last through the modern era to an extent hopefully.

Attached: art museum.jpg (1129x849, 215K)

Attached: cute boy ep 255.jpg (1300x940, 400K)

Why are you so concerned about a conclusion? Aren't you enjoying the ride?
Conan isn't a journey, not a destination.

Attached: DCfyBJSUAAAULYR.jpg (960x720, 62K)

>Conan isn't a journey, not a destination.
then what is it

It's a mystery

Attached: 118.jpg (640x480, 251K)

Attached: Detective-Conan-711-NTV-1280x720-x264-AAC_001_32947.png (500x281, 177K)

the edit is great

I want a Haibara

>toonami not gone under and they aired it earlier in t he night

This. I remember really wanting to see it as a kid, but it was aired past my bedtime.

The promo was hype:
youtube.com/watch?v=qdam2XYtYYs

Should one skip straight to this part or start from the beginning?

That Genta makes me nervous

Attached: boaris.png (289x464, 199K)

Don't skip.

Haibara x Shiho

I wish I was Mitsuhiko.

Attached: z4623.jpg (1188x669, 103K)

Same, must be warm in there

OH TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT
YOU'D BE MINE

Attached: 1998xx x.jpg (1280x1821, 945K)

What were the "heaviest" things Case Closed got to anyway? I actually havent watched that era in years.

hairybara

For the episodes, maybe the special where Ran confronted him about being Shinichi? There wasn't really any black org cases beyond Tequila's but it wasn't that serious about them. The movies had Countdown to Heaven which teased how far the Black Organization story was going and how dangerous they were with Gin and Vodka actively fucking with everyone through the second half, and showing Haibara's story somewhat.

If they got to Haibara's intro case then the main series would have had a lot more going for it between it and the Akemi rewrite, especially with that bit where Conan thought Agasa had been killed, that was pretty great. Otherwise the Organization was not much of a threat at all and were just the reason we had a little boy detective. Even the episodic nonstory cases got much stronger after the dub ended, with the art style being developed more the murders could look much more twisted than the usual S1-5 ones with a few exceptions.

Attached: 482687.jpg (1280x1024, 324K)

Where would you even get Detective Conan 1-700 anymore? Private trackers?

I just want to watch the most important 100 episodes of this involving the Black Organization.

They're on your average unofficial anime streaming site , like kissanime or whatever it is people use. I just torrent them. There is no official source here to support those episodes in America. Netflix has 748-799 and Crunchyroll has 754-current. I think those are the only licensed sites hosting the series and the DVDs have been out of print since Funi gave up the license, which is also when their episodes were apparently removed from Netflix, Crunchyroll, Itunes, etc. So what Americans who stick with legit sources are left with are later cases which give you only osmosis level references to important things that happened in the past if at all. I'm not sure if any of those episodes ever reference Conan being there for Haibara's sister's death, just her sister in general.

Attached: 482867.jpg (1280x1024, 339K)

Choose your bunny.

Attached: detective-conan-kazuha-sonoko-suzuki-ran-ai-96R2.jpg (1024x768, 164K)

I should follow them into a dark alley, without telling any one where I'm going. I suspect they are carrying guns.

Attached: Murder tools.jpg (466x421, 15K)

forgot my other weapon

Attached: Murder 2ls.jpg (225x225, 6K)

Attached: 0.png (1149x939, 1.92M)

shoot me baby

Attached: revival.jpg (659x835, 171K)

In standard Japanese and in most regional dialects it is indeed a feminine pronoun. But in Tokyo Shitamachi dialect/Edo-ben, which several characters in DC speak to varying degrees, "atashi" can also be used by men as a variant of "watashi". Kogoro uses "atashi" to refer to himself in formal situations, as someone who speaks standard Japanese would use "watashi", but uses "ore" when speaking informally.

Attached: 1997.jpg (1280x1841, 703K)

I wish Yea Forums didnt hate Conan.

Aside from annoyances here and there popping up Yea Forums would just prefer to discuss newer stuff or things that have the dragonball effect.

I want to have McDonalds™ with Meitantei Konan™.

Attached: case.png (289x384, 250K)

Haibara is not for (You)

Haibara is not for anyone. She will never have a lover, ever.

>tfw conan used to be my childhood manga that i had no idea will actually attract fujos in the long run
Ngl i was surprised the first time i heard about Kid x Shinichi existence

Attached: 1997x.jpg (1280x1818, 695K)

god damn this is a hype OP
youtube.com/watch?v=i9aJAdxCwdI

I miss ZARD.

Attached: diplomat scan.png (562x643, 697K)

Attached: ran.png (769x441, 374K)

ai-kazuha

I wonder if Gosho was bothered by all the early anime altering.

Do movies 5 and 6 count as having heart to you or do you see Movie 4 as the last one with heart?

She's rich so that's impossible.

what do you mean

>Private trackers?
There's a batch with episodes 1-926 on nyaa.

I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.