Why is it called ‘intellectual’ or ‘pretentious’ when it’s quite simply an episodic comedy with a lot of...

Why is it called ‘intellectual’ or ‘pretentious’ when it’s quite simply an episodic comedy with a lot of foreshadowing and a cathartic grand finale? I find dishonest whoever calls this anime pretentious.

Attached: 29D43E96-5AF2-44F5-A7F3-16283B0D710B.jpg (1280x1080, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6GK1DibRCD0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because it's popular

Weird art style and so it scares the pedos and otaku

Calling Yuasa pretentious is a meme. All his anime are extremely simply stories with a positive message at the end.

Because it has creative direction and artstyle, and is popular to boot.
Pretentious is, most of the time, the fallback buzzword for when you can't formulate a legitimate complaint about a show. Just look around: you see people call Dr. Stone pretentious when that show has the tone of an edutainment show, a la Magic School Bus.

Attached: 1454755047923.jpg (386x507, 47K)

Because it has a distinctive art-style and that makes contrarians call it experimental. The show is really good looking and has many things to analyze (repeated watches will reveal genius details and easter eggs). It isn’t the most complex show ever made and the story is very simple, but the execution is magnificent and the presentation is masterful. I can’t think of any way it could’ve been done better. Also, if Haruhi Suzumiya did something similar to this -conceptually- and not Endless Eight, it would’ve been better than the first season.

Still need to watch it desu. It's the last "pretentious 3x3" thing I have yet to watch/read and I liked 7/8 of the others.

Yea Forums braindeads retards screech whenever an anime that is not bottom-of-the-barrel shonen/moeshit with an ugly generic artstyle and garish color palette comes out and people online actually like it.
The truth is that there's nothing pretentious about it, and it's a genuinely well crafted product.
It's a shame that you can't really appreciate it that much if you need to costantly read subtitles, though.

"Pretentious" is a meaningless buzzword used to disparage well-received series one dislikes.

Whenever I see a series being described as pretentious I add it to my to-watch list.

Which one didn't you like?

I blame wack ass video essayist for this. I had no idea who these faggots were until TheSnob started posting them on his MHA videos.

>popular

Really? I've never heard of anyone who watched TTG except you f/a/gs.

FLCL

I'm sure it has merit to it and everything, but for me it was just painfully unfunny and irritating and sums up all my problems with Gainax/Trigger.

It's not episodic comedy, really. Saying tatami galaxy is episodic comedy is the same as saying Haruhi is slice of life.

FLCL is unironically pretentious though

I thought it would be that, FLCL is kind of out-of-place in that list. You're definitely not alone in disliking it for those exact reasons.

something is pretentious when it puts its message ahead in importance of its characters and plot. Tatami Galaxy goes out of its way to flesh out its characters

Finally, a good TTG thread.

"Yuasa isn't pretentious" is a meme. I find whoever uses this meme dishonest.

Attached: masaaki yuasa is pretentious.png (500x182, 7K)

I dropped FLCL for those exact reasons and then watched it 5 years later. Still probably the best anime I have ever watched.

Attached: pretentiousanons.jpg (760x596, 201K)

you feel safe now?

Tatami Galaxy is a lot like FLCL but actually good

FLCL is a lot like Tatami Galaxy but actually good.

I watched it the whole way through and don't intend to again. I feel as though it sacrifices character and story in an attempt to be quirky and abstract. Plus as i've said i've seen so much Gainax/Trigger and it feels like the weakest one honestly, it explores no themes the others don't and the MC is basically a budge Shinji/Simon.

No hate if you like it though. Sometimes things just land for some people and not for others.

Never understood this meme. If you have a personality that attracts you to one of these things its likely you'll like the others too, so no shit they co-occur in 3x3's

This list is lacking some entries. It needs to include Mouryou no Hako, Hyouge Mono, and Aoi Bungaku to be truly worthy of patricians.

Tatami Galaxy is just a pleb version of FLCL

Forgot the picture. It's criminal how unknown Mouryou no Hako seems to be.

Attached: 1438599066643.jpg (1280x720, 113K)

Because it was better than whatever faggot show the critics were watching at the time

The idea is its "pretentious" stuff that's still in like, top 1000 most popular. Whereas that stuff is all actually obscure.

>It's a shame that you can't really appreciate it that much if you need to costantly read subtitles, though.
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't have trouble keeping up with the subtitles. I adjusted to the speed after about 5 minutes.

I know, but at least a handful of newfags seem to have been exposed to good series through that 3x3, so it honestly performs a positive role. And those obscure series deserve more attention.

haha, i'm not a dumb retard because i exclusively watch lowest common denominator moeshit shows, right bros??? i'm not insecure at al haha

The whole point is that these are safe and popular "good" shows, and most people who have a 3x3 like that have probably just gotten into animu.
what said, basically

>maybe if I repeat it a second time I’ll get (You)s

Added them to my PTW, they're all conceptually interesting to me. Although they share the list with nearly 100 others so don't expect me to watch them soon.

>Devilman Crybaby
>positive ending

Attached: w7g5i2j.jpg (1124x640, 190K)

Aoi Bungaku would be much better if it wasn't so damn inferior to its source material. The No Longer Human arc is good, but fails to adapt the book's protag.

Could be worse, user. I have 1650~ entries in my PTW. And I do intend to actually watch them all.

Yes. The shitshow finally ended

Eh, i'd say LotGH, Lain and Texhnolyze are all several layers deep into anime fandom. And the most popular things on there are NGE and Berserk which are definitely not safe series to like, just look at the criticism they get on this board.

It's hard to not be, when you're adapting literary classics. The series is good, though, and if it arouses an interest in reading the original works after viewing it, all the better.

>not knowing TTG until an anituber used it in a capeshit video

God damn, I could never watch that much in a lifetime lmao, i'm hoping my list will do me till I die. Although I need to figure out a way to watch them in an order that means the quality is evenly distributed, with the occasional shit series for perspective.

It's not pretentious just mediocre

I'd only count Tex as being somewhat deep into anime fandom, but Lain and LotGH are definitely pretty popular. The thing is that people don't watch them, they just know about their existence.
>which are definitely not safe series to like
Eh, it's pretty rare for a non-shitposter to actually call them downright bad shows, and NGE has consistently been the most popular show on Yea Forums, with Haruhi and the like slowly fading away in terms of popularity.

That being said, my opinion on their popularity might be biased because I've been here for more time than I'd like to admit, and I've seen them discussed to hell and back by people who have probably comitted suicide by now.

>It's criminal how unknown Mouryou no Hako seems to be.
Because they choose to adapt the second novel of Kyougokudou series rather than adapt them from the beginning. Also it was from the pre-simulcast era where you had to wait around 8 month for the fansubber to finish the last two episodes.

I just realized the only two shows I haven't watched here are Berserk and LoGH.
Fuck.

What are they anyway, urban fantasy dramedy is too long of a name.

monthly texhnolyze threads are fun

>NGE has consistently been the most popular show on Yea Forums
I wish Azumanga got rereleased on Netflix or something too to go back to the old glory days of Azumanga threads all day every day.

Attached: image-2018-09-16-22-08-33.jpg (408x327, 59K)

newfags wouldnt treat azumanga daioh right

It refers to the overly analytical fans more than anything else.

Stages Of An Anime Fan

Stage 1: Is introduced to a popular, entry-level anime film such as Akira or Ghost in the Shell by a friend. Proceeds to explore the most famous anime films such as the above, Ghibli movies, etc.

Stage 2: Discovers shonen series, likely Bleach on Adult Swim. Briefly becomes an IRL version of Rikka from Chuunibyou. Does not yet understand why Yea Forums trolls shonenshit threads. Will hate self for the rest of his natural life for this brief phase.

Stage 3: Mature / deepfag phase. Once he begins to realize shonenshit is shit, begins to seek out “deep” and critically acclaimed anime such as Tatami Galaxy, Evangelion, Lain, etc. Starts debating the meaning of these anime on Yea Forums, as well as starts trolling shonenshit threads, suddenly feeling superior to the plebes in said threads.

Stage 4: Moefag, the final phase. Decides to try a moe series which Yea Forums seems to love, such as Aria, or more recently Yuru Camp, etc… justifying it to self as for “purely academic reasons,” e.g. so they can troll or shittalk these series with an informed viewpoint. Ends up discovering that nothing is more peaceful, relaxing, and enjoyable than watching cute girls doing cute things. Ends up realizing that all “deep and mature” anime are actually pretentious bullshit.

Attached: considerdesu.jpg (793x653, 280K)

I tried rewatching Azumanga recently and had to drop it, it just doesn't hold up.

It's not pretentious. It's quite simple really, but like Asano's manga, it's laughably unrelatable to a large subset of the population since it deals with something so farcical in such a serious manner.

The last phase is becoming a sakugafag and watching mostly independent/experimental shorts, dumb moefag.

That's clearly part of stage 3.

Get rid of stage 2 and that's pretty much how it went for me, right down to Akira being the first anime I watched, although that was more because it was the only anime I ever noticed on normal TV in the 90s instead of a recommendation I think.

literally me except without the redemption arc

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.54M)

I still yet fear entering the final stage.

I read it again recently and I still love it.
You can like any anime of any stage at any point in your life, just because you like yuribait slice of life shows doesn't mean you can't like shit like Ping Pong wtf.

You shouldn't, since, if you watch enough anime, you'll eventually realize CGDCT is literally the only thing anime/manga do better than any other media.

Fair enough. Tomo was just too grating for me to continue past the episode where they go to Chiyo's villa.

The Moefag phase is literally a prelude to suicide. I'm not even kidding. The latest moefag I talk to on Rizon recently started taking HTRs and is deeply suicidal.

>he unironically uses the word "moefag" negatively on a moefag board

Attached: AOTS Spring 2010.gif (503x705, 360K)

Nice sample size.

It's clearly not. Nothing in the description alludes to animation or to anything about the actual craft of anime, just about the meaning of "deep" entry level anime (all laughable, of course). No deepfag will analyze a sakuga cut frame by frame or seek out non-commercial animation.

Stage 3 should just be renamed the pretentious phase, so yes, it's part of stage 3.

There's a surprising overlap between moefags and trannies.
Not that surprising, actually.

>CGDCT is literally the only thing anime/manga do better than any other media
It's the only place that does it at all.
Most genres in anime can be found in other formats but I can't think of anywhere else that would do CGDCT. I doubt it would work considering it'd be lacking the cute aspect.

Attached: Yuyushiki_Story Anthology Comic_094.png (1365x2000, 396K)

It's clearly not, unless you completely change the description. There is no inherent difference of value between a DEEP anime and a moe anime, all what matters is the craft.

Anything with an unusual art style will be labeled as pretentious

Nice shitpost.

The last stage is being indifferent to the genre of a work and being mindful only of its quality.

Attached: .my sugoi 3x3.png (760x596, 143K)

Plenty of stage 3 shows fall into stage 1. Akira and eva, and even lain are stage 1/3.
Arguably even stage 4 shows often fall into stage 1.

Stage 5: Realize experiments shorts are the artistic peak of the medium and that 99% of television/film suffer from excess convention and outdated modes of critical thought.

Attached: wonder.jpg (409x600, 28K)

Only recognize like 4 or these? Does this mean im safe?

I like watching shorts but none of them have ever had any impact on me other than "that was neat" I guess I just need characters and story like an absolute tard.

Because Yea Forums is too low iq to understand anything beyond cute girls drinking tea and talking.

I don't think someone who's just gotten into anime would watch LotGH since it's 100+ episodes long, pretty old, and has a bunch of political drama.

closest thing I can think of to CGDCT in other formats are those idol variety shows like akbingo or something. Those give me some of the same feelings as watching cute girl shows, but obviously in a different way due to the format.

There is a remake now, I guess that might be the way in for new fans.

Literally the best anime of all time, this is the point where your iq failed you, so you reacted the same way dumber contrarians react to the entire 3x3

Stage 5: Abandoning anime and becoming a mangafag because you realise 95% of seasonal anime are adaptations that are inevitably worse than the source material.

The only anime I feel is pretentious is Psycho Pass.

Stage 5: Suicide

Anime is objectively better than manga, because manga doesn't move, doesn't have sound and typically doesn't have color.

Attached: 1544838556938.jpg (653x600, 197K)

>implying sakugafags aren't pathetic autists.

Caring about sakuga in anime is like caring about typesets in books - it would look funny if it weren't so sad.

But 90% of discussion is still based around the old series so the remake seems pretty pointless to watch.

Last Stage: Growing bored of all the overly-trite tropes and the mindless low level trash aimed either at literal children or desperate virgins and actually start searching for quality, worthwile anime.

Sounds like the stage 3 brainlet got triggered.

>Objectively

Looking for quality stuff doesn't mean wanting shit to be super deep or pretentious, faggot.

Yes. That's correct. Objectively.

Attached: Spring 2014 AOTS.jpg (485x459, 56K)

>And the most popular things on there are NGE and Berserk which are definitely not safe series to like
Not safe to like here. For other websites that echochamber in the populist way they are safe. For example, Berserk is rated no.1 on MAL

Absolutely braindead analogy. Being a sakugafag is like caring about the prose in books.

This but toy commercials instead of CGDCT.

Attached: [EG]Turn-A_Gundam_BD_27_V2(1080p_10bit)[63D88794].mkv_snapshot_18.23.994.jpg (1440x1080, 158K)

>Stage 1: Is introduced to a popular, entry-level anime film such as Akira or Ghost in the Shell by a friend. Proceeds to explore the most famous anime films such as the above, Ghibli movies, etc.
Or by whatever shounen he watched as a kid.

Also
>Bleach
>Aria
>More recently Yuru Camp
Wow you actually did lost track of time.

all Yea Forumsnons eventually migrate to /m/. Some take longer than others

Wtf that me!

fuck tomo seriously

What are you talking about? This is the first time I do this thread.

This is a laughable post not even covering 10% of anime and the different communities that surround the medium. This must be what delusional moefags actually believe.

Attached: kenji-core.jpg (1600x2951, 992K)

>non-standard art style
>high barrier of entry due to the fast-paced dialog
>none of the usual cuteness techniques
"Man this show is an intellectual masterpiece for anime intellectuals such as me."

The fact that this is still efficient in triggering people is fucking hilarious.

>just got into Kamen Rider with 01 after lurking /m/ for a few months
I guess it's a part of growing up

Interesting taste you got there.

You called out 99% of posters

it just means they are too crudely drawn

>non-standard art style
>high barrier of entry due to the fast-paced dialog
>none of the usual cuteness techniques
“Man this show is such a pretentious piece of crap people pretend to like”

Bleach was on Adult Swim as recently as 2015. That's recent enough to mean there's probably plenty of folks here who were introduced to anime by it.
Yuru Camp is the most recent CGDCT which was widely acclaimed by Yea Forums.

>Aku no Hana
>Super Pig
this list is wack

Pretentious literally means something that's pretending to be deep and meaningful, but isn't. Style over substance. Animewise, the best example I can think of is comparing Ikuhara (Utena, Penguindrum, YuriKuma), who has made some of the legitimately deepest anime out there, with his buttbuddy Enokido (Star Driver, Melody of Oblivion, Cpt.Earth) whose shows hit all the same notes and have all the same cues, cinematography, and tropes, but are completely mindless lolrandum flashyflash for flair and craziness.

Also, a lot of the shows being discussed, including TTG, aren't necessarily pretentious on their own, but have retardedly pretentious fanbases that rant and rave and write message board these about these shows getting on people's nerves.

People thinking FLCL is somehow pretentious are equally retarded, because it was nothing but an OVA specifically made so that the "new wave" of new blood at Gainax could prove and show off their chops now that the old wave like Anno was stepping down. It was an animation showcase. There are interviews from back then when people like Tsurumaki literally say "we just took a list of shit we liked, baseball, girls, cats, robots, guitars, and threw them together on a big blender". The only people who try to reason out a plot or deeper meaning are 20 years worth of dumb fans.

>The only people who try to reason out a plot or deeper meaning are 20 years worth of dumb fans.
FLCL is my single favorite work of fiction through all media and I can agree with this hardcore. I avoid talking about it more often than not because people will always just look for deeper meaning where there isn't much deeper meaning except "well the staff really liked this old Japanese pop culture/old GAINAX work and wanted to reference it."
Plus, you know, I was scared they would make shitty nostalgic cash-grab sequels if we kept talking about it, luckily people were smart enough to not let that happen.

this. FLCL is does have some deeper meaning in aspects and presents them in cool and inventive ways but i'd put it on the same level as Dead Leaves, another Imaishi work i love, which is just a vehicle for crazy shit

>reference a bunch of works written by Enokido and label them legitimately deep, merely an animation showcase, or pretentious, with only the pretentious ones being "his shows" even though none of them were directed by him

Attached: 1560294969731.png (259x224, 16K)

There are differences in levels of control and creative vision user. That is, there is a difference between, "this is a show with an episode(s) that Enokido wrote scripts for" and "this is a series where Enokido was the creative writing force behind the entire series.

I skipped the first three. How fucked I am?

I'll add to that, there are directors who are also writers who craft their shows, and there are writers who aren't directors but where the director had more of a 'manager/cinematographer' role and where the writers are the creative forces behind their series. There are writers like Okada Mari who have been in both situations, ones where she was just providing writing but wasn't in any way the showrunner, like Gundam IronBlooded Orphans, and several series which were "Mari Okada Series" despite her not directing or producing them.

If you sexually fantasize about a self-created idealization of a 2d character, literally kill yourself you fucking degenerate.

It has a art style that deviated from the norm so people called it "pretentious". Meanwhile, actually pretentious trash never gets called out like post-KyoAni Yamakan.

Is it okay to like the Walk On Girl movie now?

I didn't get that vibe at all when I finished Star Driver. It was just pretty straightforward and happened to look really good.

I wouldn’t call anything by Yuasa “pretentious”

Unsubbed means dubbing, right?

in general i avoid using pretentious as an insult because as far as i'm concerned all art is made with the pretense of captivating whoever sees it
plus if i go around calling other things pretentious would i be implying that i in the other hand am both truly deep while being down to earth? i dunno

He didn't create the franchise so it doesn't count

the only person i knew that liked it was pretentious. I don't actually know anything about this anime and never thought it was pretentious but good god the person i knew that liked it was a fucking pretentious faggot and would always scoff at other people's taste in anime

Haruhi didn't have seasons, it just had a first broadcast with an artificial non-linear episode order (which sucked because it was exactly that, just a jumbled order of chronologically produced episodes). The source material was never written like Baccano or Durarara, so Kyoani (or more like Kadokawa) should have either made the anime truly chronological from the start or done what Monogatari later did and adapt each volume as its own season/movie/OVA.

I wouldn't call anything by Yuasa "not pretentious."

I wouldn't call user "not gay."

excuse me, but you're a faggot. yuasa didn't create the tatami galaxy, either.

>Yea Forums braindeads retards screech
Holy shit how can you squeeze that many buzz words at the very beginning of your post?

Stage 5: Realizing that nothing matters other than your own interests in each medium and becoming an individualized combination of the previous stages.

Attached: 1512899234187.jpg (960x720, 94K)

glasses man talk too fast

this

except there was no buzzword whatsoever, fucktard

last 2 episodes are garbage

How in the fuck did this get the same post ending? Are you a wizard? Also you are both fucking wrong.

Attached: lainstencil.png (633x550, 61K)

yeah but every anime on there is actually extremely good, and there's a reason so many ppl put them in their 3x3s

>would always scoff at other people's taste in anime
Most people deserve this to be fair, he was probably a tool though.

Attached: 1547320503411.png (1091x1066, 1.99M)

>crazy shit
More like absolutely delicious animation

I don't know but I can say one thing for sure
bakemonogatari and Zetsubou sensei have that really fucking annoying couple panel long texts & jokes that everyone, even native japanese people miss because they're gone in a flash

What a confused post. Star Driver and Captain Earth bear certain visual resemblances to Ikuhara's work because they're directed by Takuya Igarashi, who worked for years with him at Toei and eventually took over Sailor Moon after he left (then other Ikuhara protegees like Hosoda and Kaneko joined his later projects and it became even more evident). Their styles are similar and share the same DNA, but there are many differences in how they handle humor, staging, layouts, etc. And especially, his work lack that overt symbolism and allegorical abstraction that is so defining of Ikuhara's. Captain Earth and Star Driver are respectively a rather straightforward mecha show and a high school comedy with a mecha twist, with really nothing pretentious about their execution. And as for the content of Enokido's works, that hasn't really changed thematically after Utena, and his later works actually allows to guess rather precisely what his contribution there was: we're talking, basically, of the coming of age side of the story, the longing for something eternal, the inability to grow by accepting the realities and limitations of life, the loss of innocence and desire to regain what was lost, the generational conflict and especially the immobility and stagnation that result from that. Those are topics that don't come back in a significant capacity in Ikuhara, but that Enokido always bring back, even if the way they're presented differs (his last works are more overtly about mortality, especially Dragon Dentist that dives directly in buddhist philosophy without the mediation of the "eternal otaku" allegory that characterized his works in the previous decade).

Sorry for the most pretentious post in the thread.

>I skipped the first three.
And absolutely nothing of value was missed out on.

>truly chronological from the start
The source wasn't exactly chronological though, it's mostly the bigger arc that follow some kind of chronology, the rest are all jumbled up

Just came to say lmao at people remembering capatin earth

Baccano wasn't written like how the anime presented it. That is, having 3 seperate stories going on consecutively.

Who is the second most pretentious director behind Yuasa?

Attached: shamikoquestion03.jpg (618x542, 186K)

me

Oshii

Imaishi

>lmao at people remembering the most beautiful mecha anime of the 10s
Your loss, my guy.

THE REAL FINAL STAGE: Realizing that 99% of anime is unwatchable as an adult and sticking to watching one or two shows per year, expanding into western stuff and eventually not watching anime at all because there's nothing that can satisfy your thirst anymore (other than secretly rewatching some moeshit because you honestly miss the way it made you feel)

You need to go back.

Nobody here would like what you say and it isn't pertient to be told in this board, but you are mostly right.
Final take: don't give a fuck, enjoy what you please.

As if most western stuff wasn't shit too

>Ends up realizing that all “deep and mature” anime are actually pretentious bullshit.
The people who think the Japanese are capable of being deep and mature are the pretentious ones. Most anime I've seen labeled 'pretentious', just relied on their stage traditions that western audiences are largely unaware of. I don't think a Jap is capable of being these words in the way we understand them; it's why we have the huge fandom and counter-fandom surrounding Anno-sama: they don't know how his mindset could possibly come to be so there's plenty to argue about.

Code Geass is such a legitimate wild ride, I'm always mad when it doesn't make meme lists.
Also
>Aku no Hana
>Squid Girl
>Dragon Maid
>Any Gundam
>FLCL
>Magical Doremi
>Blazing Transfer Student
>Marioshit
>NO Z
The mythic quality of the show up to the defeat of Frieza blunts any of the bad taste the rest of the show delves into.

Anime is narrative and storytelling, therefore it competes with any form of narrative (aka. Expression of human reality). And in such camp of art we have Dante, Dostoievsky, Tolstoi, Shakespeare etc. All of these people expressed the same themes as anime but in a much better way. Every single anime is shit and theres no purpose in consuming it; this board shouldnt exist, let us all move to Yea Forums.

Retarded comparison, at least compare it to something closer like movies.

I only read manga now.

>moefag board
>still thinking this
Yea Forums has never been and never will be moe heaven you faggots think it is.

>tfw watching seinfeld for first time
How did i miss this show, it is fucking great.

They are but i most of time watch old movies and tv shows so i am fine.

But I'm both of those things and I like this show's art style.

I find myself working backwards in the list. I started with K-On! but didn't watch a lot of the "mainstream" anime movies until recently because my friends were shocked I hadn't watched them yet.

The adventure and musical parts were cute. I was not a fan of the main romance.

I enjoyed this show, and I mostly watch shows that makes my pepe hard.

lain, logh, ?, ?, berserk, mushishi, tatami, eva, nhk?
seiba, madoka, ?
? index, ?
? rem ?

guess I must be an incurable newfaggot

But that’s not G-Reco.

fuck off, shonenbaby

>western
Go away, capenigger. The west does not have an animation industry.

>dostoevsky
>there's a clone of you going around embarrassing you
>or is there
>oobieboogiebooo
>spooky, innit
>also everyone has at least 14 different monikers, because fuck you, I guess

I think I must have typed this yesterday and forgotten.

Hol' up you call yourself... An otaku??

you should replace Berserk with Samurai Flamenco
that shit attracts only the most pretentious of autists

lain is bottom tier trash and i hate it
lotgh i plan to watch
planning to watch texh
haven't seen flcl
berserk is great, also i don't know if that's meant to represent 1997 or the manga
mushishi is fantastic
tatami is good
eva is great
NHK i didn't enjoy much but it didn't really resonate me so i guess that's why, it's probably more subjectively enjoyable if you relate to it
for the record i enjoy moeshit
i really hate 3x3s honestly, they seem like a really pointless way to simultaneously promote rec threads while showing off your epeen

>Stages Of An Anime Redditor
Fixed that for you.

I don't know whether you've noticed, but all your stages are just "Watches what others tell him to watch or what's the most popular with a certain group". I have no respect for anyone who's unable to develop a taste of his own and just tries to go with some kind of "mainstream taste". Your phases never seem to go beyond that state of absolute dependency on other people's opinions and certain echochambers, and I firmly believe that most people on Yea Forums are capable of independent thought.

most of these are excellent anime and moreover moeshit actually does really suck. It's the anime equivalent of KPOP

If you don't like Lain don't watch Texh. It'll filter you even harder.

You missed the entire point of the image and if you unironically say "moeshit" then you can just go back to Yea Forums.

What is the "pretentious 3x3"? Also, agreed about FLCL. I watched it when I was young and found it forced, the characters completely unlikeable and just really, really unfunny. I watched it a couple of years later and my opinion didn't change.

It's:
A famous list of "smart people anime" that people say is their favourite so their taste doesn't get criticised

Thanks!

How did they not add Ergo Proxy? That's the one anime I would honestly call pretentious.

>tfw you never managed to take that first step

Attached: 1377921484219.png (500x500, 196K)

Because Ergo proxy is blatantly pretentious, while that chart is more about pretentious taste in anime rather than the qualities of any specific show

>How did they not add Ergo Proxy?
Most people in 3x3 threads don't like that one too much. It's not likely to get you free points, so it doesn't belong on a 3x3 that's catering to mass "good taste".
That 3x3 is not about pretentious anime, it's about pretentious posters.

I'm planning to watch Ergo Proxy soon but this board keeps poisoning me against it :( I guess this is what enforced the taste the 3x3 talks about.

youtube.com/watch?v=6GK1DibRCD0
>tfw

Attached: 1504099710868.jpg (351x344, 17K)

>poisoning me against it
Don't listen to others on what you should or should not watch (or enjoy). There's nothing worse than those redditor teens who assume that their taste has to apply to everyone and keep discouraging people from forming their own opinions.
I personally don't like Ergo Proxy, but that doesn't mean that you can't possibly like it.

>t. pseudo-intellectual midwit.

Ikuhara is a walking "blue curtains symbolize depression" meme. This is a clown that literally said that ALL of interpretations of Utena are correct at the same time. You need to be braindead to buy his bullshit.

The "deeper meaning" of FLCL is an allegory of going through puberty/coming-of-age story. Just because symbolism doesn't take away from the show being fun doesn't mean it's not there, brainlet cuck.

I think he was talking about live action stuff.

Even worse then. Western movies are pure shit at the moment. Not an ounce of creativity or craft in any one of them.

>Western movies are pure shit at the moment. Not an ounce of creativity or craft in any one of them.
Stop watching Marvel shit and broaden your horizon. If we applied your argument to anime, we might as well say that anime is shit nowadays because Trigger shit sucks.

Even the worst Trigger is infinitely more based than anything Hollywood has put out in 2019. I'm not talking about Marvel, i'm talking about literally everything this year.

"Hollywood" is not just big blockbusters. I agree that this year hasn't been that great so far, but there are people who know their craft out there.
Anyway, let's not turn this into Yea Forums.
There's a huge disparity in quality in all trades - including anime. So let's rather talk about that.

Ego Proxy is legitimately pretentious and pretty bad though.

NHK anime is fucking garbage with a catchy ED.

Anything you recommend from recently then? Sorry if I sound like a debby downer its just i've been disappointed every single time i've shelled out my money this year, and i'm not some hard to please cynic, movies have just been genuinely terrible as of late.

>Anything you recommend from recently then?
That's either Yea Forums or /wsr/, user, and definitely doesn't belong here. I also don't know anything about your taste. And I don't watch many things in cinema when it airs.
You really shouldn't be spending money on things you could expect to disappoint you. Try treating it like you treat anime: Wait until you can watch it cheap or even for free, and only buy the full home release if you end up really liking it.

pretentious
/prɪˈtɛnʃəs/
adjective: pretentious

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

Attached: violet-evergarden.jpg (1280x720, 112K)

If an anime deviates at all from whatever the current art style is it's immediately becomes "art"; this is how low the bar is among western anime fans.
For example Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong.

Joker, Last Black Man in San Francisco, Shazam.

I don't understand what this post is trying to say.

Attached: 12650904287525549.jpg (649x536, 37K)

>he never moved on from anime to manga

Attached: 1568185588409.jpg (768x768, 135K)

He’s trying to say that western anime fans value superficially "unique" aspects rather than being able to dig under the surface.

What he's saying is pretty obvious: People who have no idea what actual art is rate things not for being good (or even just enjoyable to them), but for being different (regardless of quality). And he's right about that.

>Incelcore that isn't even out
>Nigger schlock
>Capeshit
Try again.

I saw it at venice film festival lmao.
>racist
Why do I bother.

Glad this image still riles up people

I'm not sure that's true though, aren't generic and cookie-cutter Isekai and Shounenshit series the most famous worldwide and the most likely to be acclaimed? Like is there an example of a show that got popular specifically in the west because it had alternate aesthetics, which got slept on in Japan?

>People who have no idea what actual art is rate things not for being good (or even just enjoyable to them), but for being different (regardless of quality)
Who are these people who you claim are so stupid that they don't even know what they like and claim, for example like the original guy said, Tatami Galaxy is a work of art despite not even understanding what the plot is about because the narration goes too fast and over his head just because it's "different"? This just sounds like you're projecting.

Attached: 1507176599681.png (694x632, 30K)

>Who are these people who you claim are so stupid that they don't even know what they like
Yuasafags.

Ah ok

Attached: 1444263311320.png (1333x600, 73K)

Do you even know what "bait" is, retard?
And have you ever talked to a Yuasafag? Because if you have, you'll notice that they have problems coing up with an argument for why they like his "style" other than "it's critically acclaimed" and "highly regarded animators worked on it".

It's getting harder and harder to imagine myself doing it with every passing year

Attached: 1567192553202.jpg (413x390, 58K)

>Like is there an example of a show that got popular specifically in the west because it had alternate aesthetics, which got slept on in Japan?
Space Dandy

First step to what?

>I'm not sure that's true though, aren't generic and cookie-cutter Isekai and Shounenshit series the most famous worldwide and the most likely to be acclaimed?
Popular is not the same as "art" status.

Stop watching recent mainstream movies from Burgerland you absolute philistine. You only have yours too to blame. Go watch a film.

If you think these are films worth recommending then you don't deserve to go to film festivals, let alone fucking Venice.

>recognize 7/9
I hardly even watch anime.

Looks like seiba, meguca, bat, ika, index, jimi hendrix, pai taachi, EMT cuckqueen and cancer cancer cance

Phase 1-5 is just watching shit for cute girls, with a brief foray into the DEEPFAG phase that everyone goes through.