Why are so many Light Novel authors unable to finish their stories...

Why are so many Light Novel authors unable to finish their stories? It's like they only planned a few portions of a story and then have no clue how to proceed

Attached: 1534787587840.jpg (462x640, 72K)

It's because they only planned a few portions of a story and then have no clue how to proceed.

Attached: 1665454584521.jpg (780x720, 71K)

Publishers don't want a complete story they want an interesting hook.

That's a bland bluray cover.

Because they only planned a few portions of a story and then have no clue how to proceed.

More books means more sales.

You should read better authors. Minoru Kawakami writes fucklong LN series, but they're always planned from start to finish. Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon finished recently after more than a decade of bible length volumes and that guy foreshadowed the ending from volume one.

Attached: 72331211_p2.jpg (715x1000, 269K)

Why can't anime creators make self contained stories rather than adapting unfinished manga or LNs? It's like they're only capable of imitation and have no creativity themselves.

Ironically enough all the best things to come from all the anime inspired mediums are the original anime projects.

re zero is pretty well planned out though

It comes with the medium.
LNs (like manga) feed you a story in bite sized chunks, and are being written while the story is already being released. Writing a full story and then cutting it into bite sized chunks may seem like a grand idea to the customer, but not to the author. After all, he has the same amount of work, except that he is not being paid while he is doing it, and he has no way of knowing if he is not wasting all his time because the readers reject the very premise and will not read the story past the first chapter.
So consequently this medium's perfect state is [in continuation]. Not [finished]. As soon as a story is finished, the author's income drops sharpy, and there is no guarantee that his next idea will get an audience. So in effect, the author is driven to continue the story until the number of readers has dropped below the point where their purchases would feed him. At that point he hurriedly ties all the loose ends together and starts anew.

If you want something else, try a medium that sells you more of the story in a single volume. Like real books.

I don't see how. Starts out as a typical isekai then morphs into a whodunit then transitions into one of the most sappy romance/drama/waifubait trash I've ever seen. Not only that but despite years worth of content ahead of the anime the story is no closer to conclusion and all the big plot elements are still unexplored.

It's like the perfect example of how LN authors just make shit up as they go along

>It's like they're only capable of imitation and have no creativity themselves.
Underage autist.

Attached: 329824237548934.jpg (1190x906, 308K)

Oh shit Horizon finished? How was it?

Because light novels are all about the premise. Thousands of Japanese people are trying to get light novels published at all times and whether they get published or not often relies on the premise being interesting. This means that aspiring authors just write a lot of first volumes to see what sticks and if they get their work published, then they have to make up the story as they go or have to figure out the rest quickly. Usually the authors get a major writing block during the second act that they rarely recover from leading either into a shitty second and third act or in hiatus hell.

excellent post

Because when they stop writing they stop making money. If your series is a hit you're not going to end it until you've made some decent dough. Also there are other stakeholders like the publishing company who also make money off the series and won't let them end it willy-nilly.

Attached: 1494156188957.jpg (2795x2600, 3.23M)

This is why I am reading more and more VNs over anything serialized. I'm not saying that the medium doesn't have plenty of garbage, but it avoids the pitfalls of serialization with things being made up on the fly or things being dragged on to maximize profits.

Attached: Lilicycle.png (1280x720, 1.89M)

Yeah, it finished late last year. It was really good apparently. I have actually tried to avoid most spoilers since I'm only on volume 4 myself.

Novels in the past were sometimes serialized in magazines. I'm sure the process was completely different from how LNs work but it's interesting to know that for instance at least some of Hemingway's stuff was serialized in magazines.

Some really good novels have been published in magazines. No doubt about it.
But there are also some really good LNs.

Just because the medium rewards one type of behavior, does not mean that everybody needs to blindly follow. Ending a story well and timely is the mark of a good author.

>But there are also some really good LNs.
[x] doubt

>then transitions into one of the most sappy romance/drama/waifubait trash
This is the fate of all modern day LNs.

The story is about halfway over.

But they do. And in your case even on narou from where they are adapted, even there you have lots of finished WNs.
As an example popular stuff there like MT, Arifureta, Hachinan(this one's LN is also finished), Slime, Shield etc are all done.
Not to mention some of the more shorter stuff like Lazy King(daraku no ou). Even those that are not from narou like Madan, or Hakomari.

But anyway the LN industry today is huge. You have tons of stuff that gets weeded out and axed. But also a lot of stuff that is actually finished but not translated into English.

This is why I like Kino's Journey. Because it is so open ended and each volume (uh...each story) can stand alone without needing to read the other 19 or so volumes (although some stories do give background, but those are few and far in between).

It's pretty much because of editors also making it so that authors have to bend down to their will if they want to be published. Creativity goes out the window for the sake of following trends that can sell.

Well you said it yourself, also I see it like they had some abstract ending in mind, but after stretching the story they can't use that ending anymore and have no backup plan since it has derailed too far.