THE CATCHER IN THE RYE

Oh my god is this book boring. Wtf is it so praised? I literally cant get past the 20th page.

Attached: 81OthjkJBuL.jpg (946x1533, 298K)

anyone else reckon he raped his sister?

i mean its pretty obvious

Try again once you're an adult. Catche in the Rye is actually a decent book IMO but most people can't appreciate it, because they don't have the necessary maturity to see right through Holden and his attitude. It's not a story of a rebellious teen coming of age and finding his place in the world, it's the story of a disturbed victim of sexual abuse being lost in a world without support, in a confusing time in his life, incapable of orienting himself.

wrong, it's about a jew trying to fit as much degeneracy as possible into one book to corrupt the participator American soul.

kek
based

Did you get passed the 20th page now?

Posters like this they kill me, no really. Figured I outta (You) him, right?Yeah decent, you typed it. Not great.

Attached: A04E3F50-7E0E-4319-A499-CD11A158B486.jpg (1082x1920, 547K)

>I literally cant get past the 20th page of one of the easiest books in the popular literary canon
not gonna make it

Fucking how

no but jd salinger was a pedophile

I find most books boring and unreadable but I thought this book was great

It was 'groundbreaking' for the time, a book in the early 1950s about a youth rebelling from being a squeeky-clean, goody-two shoes boyscout "phony", but it's pretty boring and a lot of set-ups have no pay off. However, there are a few key scenes (the beginning where Holden talks to a professor that he's sorry the professor has to fail him, his description of his relationship with Stradlater, the scene at him at the bar, the scene where he's talking about the gay professor was the only one who went to pick up the body of the student who suicided, the scenes where he's with his sister, the end where he talks about being 'the catcher in the rye') that are quite good. It would've worked much better as a series of short stories than a novel.

I don’t understand why people hate this book. Every scene is relatable, even when you’re operating in hindsight relative to Holden’s youth. His life falls apart in the space of about a week, there’s not much to be bored about if you understand the gravity of the issues he’s dealing with.

>Every scene is relatable
Literally nothing in the book was relatable to me. But I guess im also not a worthless piece of shit so that might be why.

>His life falls apart in the space of about a week
He got kicked out of multiple schools, his failure was a slow building roll

>there’s not much to be bored about if you understand the gravity of the issues he’s dealing with.
He says he is going to a new school next fall. There is no gravity, other then adding another failure to his accumulating failures.

Attached: 1545528549381.jpg (453x439, 85K)

He ends up in a mental hospital in the end, so I think there is some gravity to that.

I thought it was funny as shit. I'm sure you found it boring due to trying too hard to find a meaning to it.

The only good part in the book.

Nah, it is just boring.

OP is a phoney

Because it's a fucking YA novel with YA prose. I read the first couple pages but couldn't stand it any longer. If i wanted to listen to smug American teenage boys saying cringe words like "goddamn" and "phoney" id watch one of those high school films.

Because it's a novel written by an American. The two worst things that happened to Literature

Bumping my comment, because I spent time on it and nobody responded to it.

It's not a great comment... It's just saying I like these scenes. What are we supposed to say? You failed to place it in it's literary context, and your historical context is weak at best.

no u

My comment isn't worthy of reply but asking if Holden raped his sister is? Classic Yea Forums.

I didn't reply to the person that said that. I don't know why you're lumping everyone together...

and also, I did reply to you?

You're retarded if you think YA or high school films ever featured the words "phoney" or "goddamn".

Hoot, motherfucker

>dialogue is realistic
and this is a problem?

Honestly, I don’t understand how Holden’s dialogue is *that* grating that you can’t appreciate the plot or see the underlying themes. By the way, Holden’s smugness is a defense mechanism—his life is clearly falling apart as he’s trying to make sense of the adult world.

I feel like the people who don’t like this book have to be straight-edge, sheltered types who don’t have much empathy for the life of a teenager, with all of the delusions, insecurities, restrictions, dreams, and wake-up calls that come with young adulthood. Do you not see any parallels between your life and his?

It speaks and gives voice to a teenagers consciousness and I think it does a good job at that. It’s not high level stuff, but it is a... I hesitate to say landmark cause it’s not, a novel that is cathartic to rebellious, indignant teens in a way that wasn’t really available during its day.