Are any science fiction/fantasy books worth it...

Are any science fiction/fantasy books worth it? Are there any books in these categories that resemble the value of classics like Les Miserables, Crime and Punishment, War and Peace? I'm not interested in cheap romance, brainlet medieval fantasy or cliches such as dragons/magic as the main part of the story. I checked the wiki and it recommends A song of ice and fire, so I consider the whole list completely irrelevant. Give me some recommendations, please.

Attached: ouroboros.png (625x621, 370K)

fullmetal alchemist

I specifically said books, not manga.

>fiction
>value

Get over yourself, fag.

>Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky have no value.

>reddit spacing

They're probably the best fiction has to offer, but you'd still be better off reading a real book instead.

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut, but specifically Slaughterhouse 5
The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
Wizard of Earthsea, by Le Guin
The Dispossessed, also by Le Guin
Stranger in a Strange Land, by Heinlein
The Vorrh, by Brian Catling

and that's just off the top of my head

>a real book
such as?

You posted it, the worm ouroboros by E R Eddison

>the stars my destination
Just read the count of Monte cristo

Take this from someone who read it twice;
FUCK the Count of Monte Christo
I loved the 2002 film as a kid. So, I read the abridged version of the book in highschool.
It sucked.
Later, in college, someone told me that the abridged version was terrible, & I really needed to read the unabridged version. And I did.
And it SUCKED.
Basically, TCOMC is a great idea that was exercised on a terrible serialized basis. Go fuck yourself.

Dune and the books of Asimov are the only scifi works that didn't seem retarded to me. Also Neuromancer to a lower extent.

It is comedy, but the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett actually delves into some really deep and interesting themes in a unique and funny manner. An example would be how his novel "Night Watch" contemplates the ideals of the French and Russian revolutions and whether or not they could be considered justified, but taken from the perspective of a time travelling police officer trying to hunt down a serial killer.

Another example would be his novel "Hogswatch", which centers upon the ideas of belief itself and whether or not it's actually worth believing in anything, except told from a story about a madman trying to fucking murder the tooth fairy.

Other miscellaneous examples include the ideas of whether or not an autocratic dictatorship could theoretically be a good governing system, or how Dwarves could be treated simultaneously as a metaphor for Muslims and Feminism. He's pretty Based, ngl.

The Worm Ouroboros, appropriately enough
also:
Mistress of Mistresses
Titus Groan
Roadside Picnic
The Machine Stops
Shikasta
Invisible Cities
Riddley Walker
A Voyage to Arcturus

Count of Monte Cristo is a fine book, but you absolutely need to put it in context. It was written for a time and place where bouges read the way the way bouges now watch Netflix. It's a long goofy melodrama full of twists and turns to keep you hooked.

The Stars My Destination is daft.

philip k dick, asimov and arthur clarke are good authors.

Are their novels good, or is it better to just stick to short story collections?

>Dune
what parts exactly

The Golden Path arc. Haven't read Herectics or Chapterhouse.
Obviously not touching Brian's Dune.

Tolkien. His reputation is well deserved. Pic related are some of his thoughts on Fantasy

Attached: 1450879194602.png (711x645, 146K)

Why are you obsessed by the value of what you read? Even complete schlock like wh40k books can be entertaining and even teach a bit about pacing, prose and so on. Isn't that what's important in the end? Reading either for the aestetic pleasure of It (which is not a problem for Fantasy to deliver) or from what you can get out of a book?
user Here has a good list of literary Fantasy and sci-fi. I would dare to add some:
Anything and Everything from Lord Dunsany
The Night Land (and the collection of short stories Awake in the Night Land)
Book of the New Sun
Out of the Silent Planet and successors
Narnia if You want to teach some Doctrine to your kid
Everything Tolkien did is certainly worth reading, particularly his letters
Some Vance (He's charming and interesting to read, certainly unique)
Dune (Frank Herbert's).

If Then You decide to delve deeper You'll find that many of the originators of Fantasy and Science Fiction are the same people and that the works they created (while by now copied to boredom) have real value. The Lensmen book series for instance is basically the origin of half of modern science fiction very little of which managed to equal it.

Alternatively You may like some "fantástical classics" such as some chanson de geste, The Faerie Queene, the arthurian cycle, Beowulf (Tolkien's translation is the most entertaining and literarily interesting), The Ring Cycle and etc. I'm sure You'll find a lot to like amongst those.

Such as?

i meant which book(s), since I see there are six of them.

The Golden Path arc is Dune+Messiah+Children+God Emperor.

The best ones.

Mervyn Peake - The Gormenghast series
John Crowley - Little, Big
Lord Dunsany - The King of Elfland's Daughter
Hope Mirrles - Lud-in-the-Mist

These are worthy fantasy books even for elitists and snobs like yourself.

Aniara by Martinson.
Don't bother if you can't read one of the scandinavian languages.

newfag trying to blend

Attached: faget.png (332x460, 147K)

Nine of The Legend of the Galactic Heroes books have been released in English. The English version of the tenth and final book comes out in November.

How are the books? The cartoon is litteraly the only Anime I take seriously But What about the books? Do They "work"?

>that resemble the value of classics like Les Miserables, Crime and Punishment, War and Peace?

Those books are all shit.

The translation is workmanlike and not artful, and the books are no subtler than the cartoon, but they're quick, entertaining reads.

Came here to say Vonnegut, Slaghterhouse and Sirens of Titan are excellent

Book of the New Sun, obviously

Honestly I’m surprised you’ve never considered any of issac asimov’s works, they’ve had quite some value on the topic of robots.

>I am 15 years old, the post

Nigga read some wolfe, some peake, some Howard, tolkein, some good weird fiction, and call it a day. Most genre work is fucking bad

I just finished Dune 5 minutes ago and am on Yea Forums for the first time looking for any discussion regarding it. What a wild ride, but that one that one death before the climax completely took the wind out of my sails and clouded over my mind throughout the whole ending. I just can't get over it and how it seems so shrugged off.

You have no taste

Read Stanislav Lem and Strugazki brothers but don't feel too sad when you start to realize that almost all american scifi and all modern scifi is trash.

Non-trash english authors can be found here:

Such as?

Stfu and read Dune.

Dragonlance is really good better than moby dick

this
Lem also wrote philosophy , his books are science fiction only on the surface

Attached: lem-5-1024x753.jpg (1024x753, 124K)

Phillip K. Dick.
Dostoevsky of the 20th century—unironically.

The Fortunate Fall by Raphael Carter