Start with the Greeks?

Sorry for wasting a thread on this, but I just wanted to ask. I haven't really read a book in 7 years since high school, but I'm really itching to start reading for the fun of it. I see a lot on here that you guys recommend starting with the Greeks, and wanted to ask how necessary is this in your opinions? Or should I start with some general books that I might find interesting and go from there? I have sort of an idea how I want to go about getting started, but was curious more than anything what you all think. Thanks for any advice.

Attached: 41le8ej-fiL._AC_AA180_.jpg (180x180, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/l/literature/bloom/complete.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I’m gay btw haha not sure if that matters

Here's to being gay

Attached: gun-pointed-at-you-2.jpg (500x347, 14K)

just read whatever gets your attention and read some plato and some homer here and there

Commence with the Hellenes is a meme for getting into philosophy. If you just want to get into reading for fun, pick some more accessible modern novels.

That's sort of what I'm planning on. I've read some Greek for college classes, so I'll revisit them later. Right now my list of want to read is:
>Lord of the Rings
>Brave New World
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
>One, No One, and One Hundred Thousand
They seem interesting enough to get back into reading. I haven't got any plans for after those yet, but one step at a time.

If you don't think the Greeks are the coolest guys and the more interesting you should give up on reading now.

Fuck, I think you're right. Guess I'll give up and go cum a little

It's not a meme and your opinion is worthless until you've read Plato and Herodotus twice.

>start with the Greeks
This is a meme created by gatekeepers and pseuds.
I'll basically repeat what I said on a different post earlier today
>Step 1: Look through the western canon ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/l/literature/bloom/complete.html
>Step 2: Find something that piques your interest. Brave New World along with Huxley's essays were the first things I read when I began reading for enjoyment. I usually recommend Hesse and Kafka as they are easily understood.
>Step 3: Set up a habit of reading 1 page daily. Put the minimum viable effort into building a habit. Reading 1 page a day is an easy way to start a habit. Forcing yourself to read 10 pages daily in the beginning will only tire you and make you quit the habit. Minimum of 1 page daily.
Wa La

Attached: OrchidMantisBlendsIntoSurroundingsWithItsPetalRear.jpg.1000x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg (1000x667, 70K)

Good choices, user. Once you get through those, if you do want a taste of the Greeks, the Odyssey is a fun, accessible adventure story that can serve as a good entry point to the Greeks.

Read the Greeks in Greek, of course you need to learn Greek first then follow all the Canon learning the languages you need to read all of it in the original language . If you don't do that you are dumb and need to stick to 50 shades of gay

When i went a really long time without reading, i started back up with DADoES. Its a good read and pretty quick. Id recommend starting with that

Based

>Commence with the Hellenes is a meme for getting into philosophy.
Not really. If you want to follow the literary tradition of the western canon, the Greeks are a great place to start.

Look at the link from , the majority of the works from the "theocratic age" are Greek. The influence of the ancient Greeks on western literature (and culture in general) is difficult to overstate.

No, it's not "necessary" to read the Greeks, and there's nothing stopping you from connecting deeply with more modern works without being familiar with foundational texts, but people who post on Yea Forums (or at least the people who take "start with the greeks" seriously) tend to value the ability to view works of literature in a wider context. It has nothing to do with "gatekeeping".

Starting with the Greeks is a retarded idea for someone who is getting into reading. Read what interests you.

>the majority of the works from the "theocratic age" are Greek
Be realistic. A casual isn't going to read thousands of pages of ancient Greek epics and philosophical works simply to read a 20th century novel. "Start with the Greeks" is absolutely retarded for this reason. I don't need to understand Plato's every philosophical idea just to read Huxley or Orwell, Hesse or Kafka, Tolstoy or Dostoevsky, Freud or Jung.

Did you read my post in its entirety? I agree with you.

>thousands of pages
most of those works listed are rather short.

I was brash. I apologize, sir! I'm a non-Greek reading plebian. What Greek do you recommend for me to read? I own The Iliad but haven't read it yet. I read like 2/3rds of Mythology by Edith Hamilton.

Pretty solid list for a beginner. Maybe give some more experimental stuff a shot once you're done with that.

Finish Mythology if you like it. I got that a few months ago for 50 cents but haven't read it yet.

Homer is a great place to start. Bloom's list is pretty good, I admittedly haven't read many of the plays. Herodotus is max comfy. The Greeks are pretty interesting themselves, you might find yourself wanting to read more of them for the sake of it and not simply as a "foundation" for later works.

>Not really. If you want to follow the literary tradition of the western canon, the Greeks are a great place to start.

Literally no one born after 1940 started with the Greeks as their introduction to the western canon.

Maybe if you are trying to mold a ten year old into a well rounded person, you can make him start with the greeks. But for a fully grown adult in the current year who just wants to enjoy fun stories, he can get to Homer a little later.

Iphigenia in Aulis is a play that’s I like in particular, and I find it the most ‘tragic’ of the tragedies. In essence, a father must choose between the needs of his people and his own daughter.

>But for a fully grown adult in the current year who just wants to enjoy fun stories, he can get to Homer a little later.
Yeah like I said earlier, I agree with this sentiment.

>Literally no one born after 1940 started with the Greeks as their introduction to the western canon.
What I meant is, if you want to start looking at the western canon "seriously," and seeing how the tradition grew, the Greeks are a good starting point. I didn't mean "if you want to read 'canonical' literature you need to read the Greeks first!".

I usually rec people look into some highchool cirriculums for early reading ideas, they arent the most difficult books and often cover some good classics, when you start out you should totally try an older classic or two, Paradise Lost really opened my eyes to the value of lit, but dont be afraid to leave the Yea Forums recs behind in favor of going down a path you find more interesting

Experimental? What kind of stuff would you recommend?

Start with Homer, afterwards you can either read plays, history(if you're into that) or philosophy(I would recommend reading plato first).