Best Bible translation for a first time reader?

I’m leaning more towards reading it for literary value so KJV seems like the best choice, but I’ve also heard pairing Robert Alter’s Hebrew Bible with David Bentley Hart’s New Testament is a good choice as well. I’ve done preliminary research into some of the context and history of The Bible so I’m not going into it blind, I’m more looking for the most touching/insightful edition out there.

Attached: BDA1BB8C-0A98-4685-A929-90162D3920AF.jpg (375x450, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bible-researcher.com/rsv-ce.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

NABRE is the best version. using a student version would provide historical background and context too. Don't bother with any prot translations

More like David Bentley SHART

Orthodox Study Bible is the only English translation with every book but it's a bit expensive compared to the mainstream Protestant translations.

RSV catholic edition. Don’t let the Catholic part scare you; it contains all the books of the Bible and is a great translation.

Naw, Catholic Bibles still lack Psalm 151, the Prayer of Manasseh, 3 Maccabees and 1 Esdras

Nice critique retard

If you’re reading for literature the KJV is the way to go since its language and poetry influenced most of the western canon

how pathetic do you have to be to reply to that post with an actual rebuke

Doauy-Rhiems
if you can't handle ignore memes

The Orthodox don't even consider them canon. You may as well complain that the bible is missing the letters of Clement and Ignatius.

Attached: 51VDWZNR7AL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (325x500, 29K)

biblical hebrew and koine greek

RSV2CE (Didache Bible) or Douay-Rheims

It's weird how the RSV has become the "Catholic Bible" considering it has(had?) major mainline anti-Catholic bias, even the unironic Communist translators expressed major regret they allowed the editor to fuck with the translation so much.

Attached: 1566638948767.png (421x834, 545K)

kjv, because you're a kissless, jobless, virgin

>I just want to understand what the fuck is going on.
New Living Translation.

>I want a literal translation that I can use as the basis for serious study.
New Revised Standard Version.

>The NRSV's approach to gender makes me butthurted.
New American Standard Bible.

>Memes.
King James Version.

>for serious study.
Of what?

What is the best translation of the Sacred Scriptures in Portuguese?
I never read all of the Bible for myself, and I just don't want to just use my parents one.
As a Catholic, will the CNBB (the Brazilian Conference of Bishops) do the job as a good translation?

Attached: 257291.jpg (800x800, 39K)

The Bible.

>memes
Only if you mean this in the original sense of an idea that spreads throughout cultures

>Studying a translation to understand the original underlying text

Attached: 1539924755032.png (741x337, 78K)

Yes?

This. Just received it and the quality and notes are great. Beautiful Bible

>Jesuit
NRSVCE

>Dominican
RSVCE

>Franciscan
NETS

>SSPX
Douay–Rheims

Attached: 1560900751648.jpg (736x994, 80K)

Is there a Douay-Rheims type Bible in Portuguese, i.e. the first mainstream Bible for Portuguese speakers? I have aFélix Torres Amat
Sagrada Biblia which is described as the 'Douay-Rheims' of the Spanish language.

>Orthodox Study Bible is the only English translation with every book
Totally false, the RSV and NRSV have the Orthodox deuterocanon books.

Here's a list of RSV version differences. Many changes of the first Catholic edition were adopted by the 1971 revision of the standard one. The Catholic edition tends to retain certain readings that are not included in the critical text and mentions their omission in some manuscripts in the footnotes while the standard RSV does the opposite and excludes them but mentions their inclusion in some manuscripts in its footnotes.
bible-researcher.com/rsv-ce.html

There's also a more recent Catholic edition of the ESV. These two are really the most practical option for literalness with readability.

Actually there are multiple translations with apocryphal books such as the Revised Version. The NETS Bible has a side by side translation of the two main texts of Tobit.

based

are there any KJV editions to avoid?

All of them starting from the 1611 edition upwards.

onwards*

Probably the Pereira version. The thing about translations in the Iberian world is that Catholic editions have fallen short in accuracy compared to their more renowned non-Catholic counterparts. The Félix Torres Amat translation is more divergent from the Reina–Valera readings than the Douay–Rheims was from the KJV and was only published in the 19th century. The Biblia del Scío might be a better comparison but it too is more divergent in its readings.

Its a wonder that we have these threads still. Who are all these idiots second-guessing the reputation of the King James Bible? Its probably the most entrenched translation of anything ever.

Attached: Dp0B8U0XgAA3vP7.jpg (587x583, 43K)

This is probably the correct answer but I think you could get away with an apocryphal KJV to make it more engaging. I use the Douay-Rheims because I can't speak Greek and my Latin isn't good enough yet to read a more 1:1 translation of the Greek. If anyone is looking for an heirloom quality bible I recommend the Baronius Press Douay-Rheims. It is outstanding quality because it's made to be passed down.

Protestants are some goofy bastards for treating the KJV as if it was the original language the books were written in. It's a bad translation because it copies errors from earlier English translations so it can't even claim to be its own thing. It's also missing parts of Daniel and Esther because of some bad scholarship.

Probably facsimiles and other printings of the early editions with obsolete orthography and uncorrected errors. I think the revision around 1760 is a trusted standard and some later revisions introduced changes that have been contended.

Why would you need to know better Latin to read a better translation of Greek?

how am I meant to pick a bible when I don't even have a denomination, and how can I pick a denomination when I can't even read a bible yet bros!

>best (in terms of literary worth) means most accurate

You may as well say it's the most beautiful or historical or some other equally meaningless word to describe it. Reading the KJV as opposed to any other translation isn't going to you study and understand other literature.

Not op but the Nova Vulgata is unironically the best translation of the Bible in any language, it had the undisputed best latinists in the world working on it.

Well of course not. You should feel free to disregard the Bible altogether if you're not reading it for religious reasons. What are you going to find but a few Shakespeare quotations?

Attached: 827.png (727x682, 168K)

You can't pick a denomination like you would window shopping. The Holy Spirit chooses for you and if not you have no faith or it's rested on a shaky foundation.

I don't know what the hell you're trying to say. You said the KJV has the most literary value. What does that mean if there's no irreligious connotation? Even if you are reading the bible solely for religious reason you should avoid the KJV because of the errors, as I've said.

I sincerely hope this is some larper shit.

by the holy spirit I suppose you just mean eeny, meeny, miny, moe, because I have no knowledge to base any decision off.

1 Corinthians 12:3
>3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Hmm, how I wonder who the real larper between me or you is. Probably not me, but who knows? I'm on 4chin or all places.

Yeah you've just confirmed my suspicions by giving me a random bible quote that doesn't prove anything. Even Satan will quote scripture.

I'm saying that the KJV has the best prose, so despite the inaccuracies and corruptions it amounts to the translation with the most literary merit.

Prose isn't a religious consideration so what are you hoping to find, some Shakespeare quotations?

It still shouldn't technically be necessary to need proficiency in Latin to understand Hebrew and Greek though it could certainly help to enrich your understanding due to the glosses made by Latin writers; but it's still fishy how someone would prefer to stick to the Douay-Rheims which is pretty much based on the KJV in the latter editions and edited here and there to agree with the Clementine Vulgate, while wanting to know better Greek.
Personally I think the classical translations like the KJV and D-R often have a more substantial and literal rendering than the more modern translations even if they aren't based on the best source texts. The ASV was like the culmination of this classical English tradition before various popular translations based on or traced to it started to be made.

Why would we be discussing religion on a literature board. It literally says not to do that on Yea Forums and to go to /his/ for religious discussion.

Attached: download (1).png (255x197, 5K)

Follow the conversation you dumb bastard.

the conversation is irrelevant. I don't read the entirety of every thread I join in.

>Noo, you can't mention discussion related to religion on threads about religious texts. The discussion must remain secular.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

You should pay attention because I was the one talking about literature while he was talking about religion. You're a fucking idiot giving opinions when you can't even pay attention.