This just arrived at my house

This just arrived at my house.
What am I in for?

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.71M)

Lost time.

Have fun searching for it.

One of the greatest stories ever told.

an invitation to the patrician club

there's this section about time, just wait till you get to the part where they start searching for it, that's when it really picks up

Nice. Didn't know Everyman's Library had an edition of this.

Oh must be a UK edition. Apparently Harold Bloom is in there too.

It did in fact come from the U.K. as that’s the return address on the box.
It was only $60 on Amazon, which in my opinion is a good deal for 4 hardcovers in a box set

t. belongs in a labor camp.

>Harold Bloom
Too bad, would have been a nice set.

>translation

Have fun wasting your time

Fpbp

you got the wrong translation

I like to buy books that will last. Some day I can share them with my kids

>not knowing french

You'll never make it. I'd agree with you if it was sanskrit or aramaic, but it's fucking french

Where are the other volumes?

have sex (with me)

translations are independent works from the originals AND still worth reading

God tier music description and some slice of life from before WW1

i like big BOOKS and i cannot lie

you other brothas can't deny

when a book walks in with a itty bitty type

and a round spine in my face I get SPRUNG

AND inferior.

I'm really really disappointed you don't like Proust.

Flowers, flowers, more flowers, even more flowers, and sexual jealousy

Inferior to what? A translation is a work itself. "À la recherche du temps perdu" is not a translation, so it can't be a superior translation to any edition of "In Search of Lost Time".

I’m just liking the joke. I mean look at all lost time

you are 40 and still posting here

>tfw that was me (:3)

I'm not even kidding, butters that was me. :3

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Attached: image.jpg (450x247, 38K)

It’s divide up a little funny. The first two books have 1.5 volumes, the second each have 2

Anyone who’s read the whole thing can tell you that flowers feature primarily only in the first and second books and one short section in the fourth one purely as a metaphor

I'm crying

French is like one of the easiest languages to learn for an Angloid, though lmao

butterfly there was a time where i hated you but now i look forward to seeing your posts in a thread. it make me feel happy =}

iktf

Shut up you morons. Obviously you can see ITT she is basically mine. You virgins wouldn't know how to please a woman anyway :3

you misunderstand... i have a purely platonic feeling of love for her and she makes me day happier...

reader dysphoria

You got a great deal, given that it’s actually more bloody expensive domestically, about $80 with the current exchange rates that are the worst certainly I can ever recall.

Attached: ADF7EEE8-94C9-486B-A08E-045D994330D1.jpg (1125x1243, 395K)

Commodified books where their aesthetic presentation is more important than their content. Your rampant and reckless consumerism has invalidated the writings.

>if you’re not reading war and peace for the first time in a 19th century original Russian edition, you might as well be reading a YA novel
fuck off, text is text if there’s no inconsistencies or major errors

You've misunderstood.
I'm saying these are more for showing off than anything else.

>This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published before January 1, 1924.

It’s one of the best experiences you’ll have and, when you’re finished, you’ll feel you’ve lived a second life vicariously.

At the peak of my insomnia I picked up the first volume and read it for six hours until the sun came up. I wasn’t frustrated with being unable to sleep, yet again, and was instead grateful that I’d had time to read it uninterrupted. It helped me sleep for a while after, because I knew that if I couldn’t sleep, I could always pick it up and start reading.

I'm not memeing when I say the part in Time Regained when he does figuratively find lost time again is the most beautiful, most moving, most comfy, most thoughtful, most brilliant extended passage I've ever read in literature and also completely justifies the length of the book in context and thematically.

Proust's book should have been the work titled Triumph of the Will, because that's what it is

Attached: the_sun_munch.jpg (1600x927, 334K)

What is Proust’s writing style like? Is it verbose at all?

Not that user, but it depends on the translation. If you’re reading it in French, I have no idea, but it seems that Proust isn’t so much verbose as he is poetic. While his sentences and passages can extend the length of a page, they aren’t hampered with anything excessive; rather, they unfold naturally, as if a perfectly-articulated thought.

>Is it verbose?
He's well-known for his extravagant writing, which is also thematically appropriate to the nature of his book, always flowing like a river, making your mind loop back into itself in an effort of recall interminable words. That said, the ideas presented in the book would be brilliant even without the writing, but they wouldn't land with the same effect. The book certainly isn't for everyone, but here's the passage that most impressed me when I first read it off Yea Forums:

>Presently the course of the Vivonne became choked with water-plants. At first they appeared singly, a lily, for instance, which the current, across whose path it had unfortunately grown, would never leave at rest for a moment, so that, like a ferry-boat mechanically propelled, it would drift over to one bank only to return to the other, eternally repeating its double journey. Thrust towards the bank, its stalk would be straightened out, lengthened, strained almost to breaking-point until the current again caught it, its green moorings swung back over their anchorage and brought the unhappy plant to what might fitly be called its starting-point, since it was fated not to rest there a moment before moving off once again. I would still find it there, on one walk after another, always in the same helpless state, suggesting certain victims of neurasthenia, among whom my grandfather would have included my aunt Léonie, who present without modification, year after year, the spectacle of their odd and unaccountable habits, which they always imagine themselves to be on the point of shaking off, but which they always retain to the end; caught in the treadmill of their own maladies and eccentricities, their futile endeavours to escape serve only to actuate its mechanism, to keep in motion the clockwork of their strange, ineluctable, fatal daily round. Such as these was the water-lily, and also like one of those wretches whose peculiar torments, repeated indefinitely throughout eternity, aroused the curiosity of Dante, who would have inquired of them at greater length and in fuller detail from the victims themselves, had not Virgil, striding on ahead, obliged him to hasten after him at full speed, as I must hasten after my parents.

>What am I in for?
did you really buy a book without knowing what it's about?

That's a beautiful experience, user. I'm glad to have read that.

Are you me ?

You don’t do this?