Anatomy of Melancholy Editions

Which edition of the Anatomy of Melancholy is closest to the original version of Burton's final republication of it within his lifetime?

A friend of mine gave me a 2004 Fyfield Books selection/edition consisting of "acknowledged highlights and lesser-known attractions" in "modern spelling" which I've finally been reading, and it's serviceable enough as a stimulation of the appetite, but my hunger demands the real thing as the main dish.

The NYRB edition appears to be the most popularly purchased and posted, and I see that it is promisingly foreworded by Gass, and its textbookish length leads my to assume that it is unabridged, but I've struggled to find information on other important points: is it made "modern"?—how is the Latin treated?—are there essays or commentaries?—is there any documentation of changes between Burton's republications of it?—etc.

And if the NYRB edition shows itself to be flawed (compiled and arranged maybe by a trifler, a trivant, an idiot, an ass; a collection without wit or invention besides Burton's, a very toy) which edition should I get? And if the Latin is wholly untranslated and unannotated (which I think may be best) are there any Latin companion texts which may be of use?

Attached: The_Anatomy_of_Melancholy_by_Robert_Burton_frontispiece_1638_edition.jpg (456x757, 251K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/McGillLibrary-RBSC_QUATRO-2497-17110/page/n5
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In the NYRB the latin is presented and usually translated

Wait till November till the Penguin one . I was told the NYRB was underannotated.

Attached: textnote.jpg (1920x2560, 1.29M)

Get the Everyman's library edition in three volumes.

As a follow-up thought, is anyone aware of any older editions of Burton that I could access via pdf or otherwise purchase? Even buying from the 1800s carries risk of censure but I am again especially dedicated to dodging the dilution of the text by those who would make it "modern" like butchers butching our little toes because they must be obsolete if we wear shoes!
Presented and translated in what fashion? Is the text stiflingly made "modern" or is it permitted to live?
I'm skeptical of the prospect that a Penguin edition could be better.
This is a very promising note, but you leave no information as to the edition!
Why, particularly?

>you leave no information as to the edition!
Sorry, it's the NYRB edition.

>I'm skeptical of the prospect that a Penguin edition could be better.
Penguin being bad is a meme, they have excellent editions of authors and works that are not as popular, like their Spenser, Gilgamesh, Donne's prose, and Thomas Browne editions.

you're a meme

>professionals
You should see their translations, and the abridgements they make without stating it anywhere but one page.

Are you a paid Penguin advertiser orv
what?

>Shilleto
kek

bump die to interest, is there a unabridged version?

You could read a scan of an original; here the sixth edition (1651): archive.org/details/McGillLibrary-RBSC_QUATRO-2497-17110/page/n5

Any one-volume translation be thick as fuck and/or have tiny letters and/or have super thin pages. A recent translation was released where I live and it's 4 volumes. 1st 256pg, 2nd 535pg, 3rd 449pg and 4th 872pg.

Thank you, although I'm still shopping for the best possible copy this helped me double check the excerpts I'd pulled out.

Why the increasing length tho?

Do you actively try to sound like a huge faggot or does it just come naturally to you?

It comes naturally in writing moreso than in speech. Keep seething, my friend; I know that you are deeply jealous of my capacity to write so assonantly so easily.

Attached: 0013foxandgrapes (1).jpg (478x480, 82K)

My lethargy procludes seething of any sort mon ami.

Admittedly, my Victorian bombastics problematically leak into my work emails, overwritten in such a way that the recipient either fails to respond promptly or appears intimidated.

>Is the text stiflingly made "modern" or is it permitted to live?
This literally doesn't mean anything. Modernization of a text is necessary unless you feel like reading Paradise Loft. It's downright morbid what sort of minds are bred by this board.

>unless you feel like reading Paradise Loft
I do

>Modernization of a text is necessary
nice try, fatan

Kek

I have the NYRB version. The Latin is untranslated

kyf

fuck my dick, faggot

top laff

What's the deal with this book? Is it worth reading?

It's only for the bigliest brained sadboys

>Paradise Loft
Based