Why do you write?

Why do you write?

Attached: writer-writing-ss-1920-800x450.jpg (800x450, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

erwt.org/2018/05/09/why-i-write/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because looking at tradesmen fills me with existential terror. Also for the optics

Vanity.

All other answers are lies.

al writers are vain
but vanity isn't the sole reason
or even always the major reason

I have the desperate compulsion to replicate the sense of worth normally gained through actually contributing to society instead of being a useless, fucked up mess.

It doesn't work

Because I don't want to just be a consumer. I want to create something.

Vanity, pleasure, introspection, escaping my sense of uselessness and slavery, flexing my linguistic muscles on the page because that's sexy as fuck. Upholding and preserving a tradition that I resolutely feel a part of, even though I have not yet earned any right to call myself a part of it. Doing something I've seen done so often it has become a big part of my world and of my habits, conscious environmental mimicry if you will.

Trying to not have spent my life in vain, exchanging my time against a sense of meaning and anchoring in the world if you will, foolishly trying to buy substance with words.

Having a shot at the precarious second life that posterity provides. Trying to make some of what I've seen and love live on, though in unfaithful incomplete form.

Making something that I might be proud of in ten years, because for now everything else I've done is so worthless I can barely laugh about it.

Hopefully one day write something that will be read by someone else and that will inspire them, make them think, make them curious about books, or simply make their day a little bit better.

Those are the reasons I can think of it now, there may be more.

Catharsis, and also to become a better writer.

I don't, but I tell girls I write to get pussy.

> events in my in-progress trilogy have replayed in my mind every day for the last five years, to the point that I pace around my room and act them out for much of my spare time
> search for beauty above muttland’s apathy and its utilitarian attitudes
> my indecision in choosing between two faith traditions induces me to explain my love for both of them and syncretize them in a single narrative
> obscure words randomly pop into my mind to describe things, and they are usually spot on when I look them up after imagining them
> the desire to write better stories for my unrequited love interests than they could ever live, extracting what I tried to take from them
> publishing the aforementioned trilogy and finding frends who I can connect with intellectually

Among other things

Attached: BAA849FB-2DE6-422A-8619-64A400B11823.jpg (1520x2048, 311K)

To free my people

I write to cope with the things that happen to me. That's all- I'll never be published.

"the shame of being a man - is there any better reason to write?"

Demonic scriptures

I write because the adventure smut I want to read doesn't exist. I want a story with a fun plot that also happens to have bondage and other fetish elements.

Yeah I'm degenerate, but I make some side money from it and that's alright with me.

BECAUSE I CAN AND I WILL AND NOTHING WILL EVER STOP ME

In other words, it just comes naturally.

I actually do it because I like it

I don’t?

You need to be 18 to post here

Why was my comment deleted? lol

Here is your answer: erwt.org/2018/05/09/why-i-write/
Feel free to use Google Translate if you really need to.

Attached: literary_opinions.png (604x319, 94K)

to come back to it

what's not written down is forgotten soooon

You just wrote

I enjoy it, it's therapeutic to write down things I'm fretting over or insecure about and then see them as if from an outside perspective and realise how silly I'm being most of the time
I like to record things that might otherwise be forgotten as well, and I like knowing that I'm improving every time I write just a little bit.
I'm developing my ideas, I'm able to flesh out my thoughts and because it's all recorded I'm not just ranting out loud into an empty room about the same things for years on end anymore because it's all there and I can actually build and move forward
I'm spending several hours a week doing something productive, and there are a few (as in maybe ten at best) people around the world who regularly check to see my newest writings as well and so being expected is nice.
Vanity also plays a role, I will admit.