Canonical writers you dislike

Are there any highly regarded authors who you dislike? There are many members of the canon that I am not keen on at all. Some I dislike are;
>Virginia Woolf
>Thomas Hardy
>James Joyce
>F. Scott Fitzgerald
>Thomas Pynchon
>Jane Austen
>Henry James

Attached: 1568121874754.jpg (1080x1266, 85K)

Pynchon, Nabokov, DFW. Just can't get on with that clever post-modernist stuff. Would rather read Oliver Twist again

Tried to read a couple of Steinbeck novels and didn't like either.

Nabokov is an arrogant cunt who dismisses writers that are greater than he is

he was also a cringey tryhard, his novels are so overwrought

>F. Scott Fitzgerald
Why dont people like Fitzgerald on this board? I admit that he doesnt have the most complex prose or thematics in his writings, but what he is good at is centering a novel around the theme that he is exploring and expressing those ideas rather vividly without getting too verbose or esoteric. Creating neat palatable methods for delivering a specific zeitgeist.

I just think Gatsby is a corny and boring story. Oh look, the rich did everything he did to impress some slut who rejected him years ago, fascinating.

the rich guy*

>hating Pynchon
This is honestly a bad opinion. Not because Pynchon is some abstruse, inaccessible genius, but because his works are hilarious and well-written. Anyone writing off Pynchon probably started with GR, which is a terrible place to begin. Start with Mason & Dixon. Older papa Pynchon is more sentimental and straightforward in his plot development

Well, I think thats a pretty face value critique of the book since it is obviously not really about Gatsby's specific fascination with the slut, but about chassing an ideal that you can never grasp. Thats the purpose of penny being so trite. Gatsby sees her as gold, but she is actually just yellow. I think the simplicity of the concept reinforces the theme even more, since getting into a more complex base line story would muddy up the feel. Scott isnt going for an interesting or novel plot, but an exploration of idealization and the persuit of a higher goal, and what it means to be Great. And I think the story does a good job at expressing those feelings. I forgot the specific quote, but I liked the allegory of Gatsby shooting for the stars, but hitting the moon instead, realizing that he is just as far away.

Nick is a pretty boring narrator though as a person.

Don't hate him, just don't like him. The jokes fall flat for me, and I find it all a little tiresome. He's clearly a superb prose stylist.

I get it, I just don't care much for it

>highly regarded authors who you dislike

Jane Austen
Charlotte Bronte
Emily Bronte
The other Bronte
George Eliot
Virginia Woolf
Doris Lessing
Harper Lee
Toni Morrison
Alice Walker
Carson McCullers
Margaret Atwood

based

Schopenhauer
Max Stirner
Bronze Age Pervert

What did you read?

I have tried and failed to get into Delillo many times. I think he’s just too cold for me—a stylist without heart, almost

I don't dislike any canonical writer. Some just aren't for me. It's very childish to "dislike" such things.

Re-read it when you’re older. The ‘green light’ becomes more devastating when tinged with your own reflection. It sounds stupid, but it’s true.

GR of course. Don't get me wrong, I can see what a fine writer he is. But when the jokes aren't really landing it's a real slog

none of these writers are canonical or highly regarded. they're either women or simpletons

You must be so smart

Seriously, I’m not kidding, and plenty of anons on Yea Forums give shit advice but: read Mason & Dixon. GR is not my favorite, either. I’ve read it twice and both times I’ve felt it paled for me personally. Hell, I think I like V more. If you take anything away from this board: Don’t give up on Pynchon.

You’ll be doing yourself a huge disservice

the world gets more beautiful 2 years out of undergrad. keep your head up, sport