What are your favorite wild literary theories...

What are your favorite wild literary theories? Authors who weren't who they said they were being the most obvious example, but I'm curious. Are there any other mysteries you've read about? Books as cryptic riddles pointing to some solution in the real world?
I really like the Marlovian theory of Shakespeare authorship and there are so many weird details that I'd almost be inclined to believe it if Marlowe's plays weren't honestly just too shitty compared to the ones attributed to Billy.
James Joyce thought Hamlet contained coded hints that Shakespeare was a crypto-Catholic too.

Attached: hm.jpg (1080x2030, 587K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_the_birds
vice.com/sv/article/pgp53z/how-the-cia-infiltrated-the-worlds-literature
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Tempest is Shakespeare's retirement play and contains many lines that have a double meaning, speaking both to characters and to the audience. The plays after The Tempest were mostly collaborations, which he likely took on out of necessity in order to make money or because his collaborators were able to convince him to help with "one last play."

Second, we know that Shakespeare read Cervantes because there is a lost play about a minor character in the Quixote. Only part 1 was published in an english translation while shakespeare was alive (in 1612). Shakespeare was becoming disillusioned with drama, and I believe that his retirement hinted at in The Tempest was not a complete and total retirement from literature, it was simply a transition, to the prose narrative. At the time of his death, I believe that Shakespeare was in the process of formulating or writing a novel that would be an answer or a rival to the Quixote.

That's exactly the kinda shit I wanted to hear about, damn.
I haven't read The Tempest yet but I do have the complete works. What specific stuff should I pay closer attention to if I read it soon to look for this?

That Cortazar's Hopscotch is based on the Kabbalah Tree of life

Only borderline literary, but the kabbalistic theory that at mont Sinai, Moise was only transmitted the letter aleph (the first letter of the hebrew alphabet, which is a mute letter) and that all subsequent scripture is but a commentary/speculation on the meaning of the transmission written by Moses and his contemporaries.

The idea is the alpeh is only the sign that you're engaging sound in your throat, like a "clearing-throat" letter, so it just denotes intent to speak. According to that theory God only said to Moise "I am about to speak" and then the content of speech was entirely attempt at retrieval of the ineffable by the Hebrews.

Apparently this theory has been expounded on by Gerschom Scholem and even inspired Derrida.

That is so stupid.

How so

that sounds extremely autistic. I'm intrigued. Where can I read more of that? Any sources?

Attached: 15372852186_3b74f6d788_o.jpg (1000x1370, 86K)

I heard of it because it was mentioned in the Derrida chapter of Habermas's Philosophical Discourse of Modernity. Don't have it on me right now, but when I get home I might be able to find the names he mentions.
The most famous will probably still be Scholem anyway. It's a pretty heretical take so most likely the sources will be modern.

I'm a kabbalet, only have an idea of what the upper three Sephirot are, but isn't that related to how the first path coming from Kether is often labeles aleph; and Plato's corruption of ideas when in the material world?

>that would be an answer or a rival to the Quixote.

impressive, i´ve always thought they had some sort of feud/rivalry between them when i was a kid, i of course supported Cervantes since my first language is spanish

Freud's last book when he was in the grips of looney brain was "Moses and Monotheism," a book in which he claims that the Biblical book of Exodus actually hides a TRUE story about Moses being an Akhehatan priest that the Jews killed in favour of a preferred volcano god, then became so guilty about having killed Moses that the rewrote the story, but every Jew since has secretly subconsciously digested the TRUTH and is doomed to live with the eternal guilt of killing Moses, the collective father figure.

It's a borderline unreadable book, btw.

Shakespeare wrote the KJV
Malcolm X goes on about it in his Autobiography, shit is jokes

...and them they did it again. Shit.

didn't he also believe that white people were aliens made by an evil scientist 10,000 years ago?

Might be related, yes. There's a kabbalistic story about how God created the world.

Each letter of the Hebrew alphabet, starting from the last (tav -the hebrew tau) and ending with the second (beth, the hebrew beta) asks God to use her to create the world. For each one God gives a reason to not do so, except for beth which he recognizes as fitting for the task.

Then He turns to alpeh who had made no plea for creation, and He grants her that although she will not be used to create the world, since she represents the one (being associated with the number 1), she will be embody the unity that is behind the world and tie the world together. Or something along those line.

Basically the hebrew letters are so based you can create a world with a single of them, but aleph is too based for even that. Kabbalists really like hebrew letters.

why do you describe the hebrew letters as "she", what makes you think their essence is feminine?

I remember reading that brief summary when I first found out about Akhenaten, who has a batshit story himself. I put it on my to-read list without realizing that Freud was losing his mind, but that might make it even better.
It's not very literary but Akhenaten was an Egyptian pharaoh who for some reason decided his goal in life was to make the kingdom semi-monotheistic to Aten, a (new, non-Ra) sun god. He disbanded every other priesthood and destroyed as many names of other gods from everything that he could, renamed himself to reflect that he was Aten's only son in the world, built a new capital from the ground up to centralize Aten worship, and may have gone as far as establishing some kind of religious secret police to crack down on anyone in the capital who still revered the old gods.
He was probably epileptic, and definitely had some kind of religious visions or visceral dreams to instill all that fervor in him. Apparently in some heterodox readings he's some kind of proto-Christ figure. After he died his name was erased even more thoroughly than he had done himself and when he very very rarely is unavoidable to mention in records he's only called "the enemy" or "the criminal." He was also King Tut's dad, and his son had to change his name from Tutankhaten to Tutankhamun when the kingdom went back to traditional polytheism.

The "answer" to The Crying of Lot 49's question of whether Oedipa is crazy or not is yes, she's crazy, because Trystero is a cryptic hint at Torquato Tasso's years of artistic madness locked in a tower, just like the Remedios Varo painting Oedipa saw and immediately related to, and Oedipa is subtly connected a few times to Narcissus wasting away by the side of the lake.
I also believe that Pynchon doesn't post on Yea Forums himself but the guy who initially posted the Tasso connection is somebody that does research for him, a grad student or something.

Socrates existed, but Aristotle didn't. He's an ancient Hellenic meme-pseudonym, like John Doe or Pierre Bonhomme. Thinkers at first used the name Aristotle to avoid persecution, but eventually it just became the go-to way to get published.

Why do you believe this

Faustian possession, or the "most successful books are really written by one author who is outside of our timespace" via automatic writing/channeling angle.

Most recent English language literary movements are artificially directed by Langley and The Tavi. Plots and characters hide references only meaningful to other initiates. This functions as open air signaling between enlightened and bloodline families. For example: Catcher in the Rye is about Freemasonry.

"Green language," or a higher code ingrained in all communication but undetectable to mortals, can be accessed in some literature. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_the_birds

Does this mean I'm a pseud for reading and writing, or am I some kind of conduit for whatever this is
Why would this otherworldly presence need to write a bunch of literature and who are the initiates that can understand it

NIGGER

Let's say the otherworldly presence is like a muse of literature or an ancient intelligence that can only really access our time and space through the word or that breath/sound/idea/vibration are divinely bestowed units that facilitate creation. This could also be similar to how some Christian sects believe all famous pop stars literally sign their soul away to Satan to become his musical mouthpiece. The idea is sort of 'in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God' but instead, the Word is no longer God in this fallen place.

Still enjoying literature even if it does serve as a drug mule for the messages of higher forces only makes sense. We enjoy the smell of the rose and all its products even if it doesn't bloom for us but for bees and other roses. Sorry for that, yikes.

>Not only does the muse exist but it's an interdimensional Lovecraftian monster and we are its tongue
Fucking wild, I like it

>The Tempest is Shakespeare's retirement play and contains many lines that have a double meaning, speaking both to characters and to the audience.

this is a "wild theory"? I thought this was the generally-accepted reading

...and David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest is based on the Sierpinski Triangle!

you think people pretended to be Aristotle so they could... get published? lmfao they didn't have publishing houses or academic journals in Ancient Greece you fucking retard, if you wanted to write a book the only limit was whether or not you could write

Dunno about that user, in Spainsh letters are femenine, las letras, but given thir primordial nature they may be genderless.

>someone describes an awesome, unbelievable, esoteric, spiritual story about Kabbalah and the creation of the world
>B-BUT WHY ARE THE LETTERS *GIRLS*!!!

never change, chan

I remember reading Dracula and learning about the theory that Bram Stoker was trying to name Francis Tumblety as Jack the Ripper through the book.

>Hispanic

yikes

Don Quijote is an alchemical work codified so the profanes can't understand the underlying doctrine.

Dracula is a character that represents British/European perceptions of Jews at the time.

Well, that sounds like a shitty ripoff of the om.

Pushkin did not die in a duel, but instead faked his own death, and ran off to France and became Alexandre Dumas.

I enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo as much as the next guy, but it doesn’t seem like it was written by Pushkin desu

It’s not so wild. The Tempest also seems to be the play for which he borrowed the least and invented the most (it’s a given Shakespeare stole most of his plots, but The Tempest is the closest he comes to originality) and I think that supports my theory. The crazy theory is the move away from theater being a shift toward other literary forms, specifically the novel (he could just as easily been planning to shift into a focus on his poetry), and the extrapolation that he may have consider Cervantes a rival. That’s just a speculation based on his shift away from the theater, the coinciding with the English translation of Don Quixote, and the Lost play about the peripheral character from the Quixote.

Another thought that just sprung to my mind has to do with a “Life of the Author” section that I believe appeared in the first English translation, a pretty long and detailed biography of Cervantes which drummed up a lot of interest in him as an individual. I don’t know how much was fabricated but it basically painted Cervantes as a rebellious man of nobility, a fearless and incredibly clever adventurer Of basically unheard of intellect. If you look up the story of his military service at the Battle of Lepanto, it is pretty amazing and reads like a movie. I wonder if Shakespeare May have seen this?

I also sometimes think Shakespeare probably didn’t give that much of a fuck about other writers, he seems a bit uninterested in rivalries and apparently later in his life he spent more time in Stratford than London, having some success as a business man and agriculturalist, caring more about the well-being and social standing of his family than one would expect from any “single-minded” artist.

>favorite wild literary theories

Faust was a parable Goethe wrote about himself being strongarmed into the Illuminati

>Ambrose Bierce didn't go to Mexico and die, he just got sick of everyone's shit and went to get drunk elsewhere
Sounds like inventing the alphabet in Just So Stories.

i have more basque and italian ancestry than spaniard but whatever

That's one of my favourite books. It may not be true (I don't know), but it's fascinating.

It's well documented that Anne Hathaway's family were Catholics. Also John Donne was originally Catholic as well.

Rimbaud and his idea for poets to be "seers"
Searching for complete sensory dissillusionment.
He was a fucking nutjob but its still fun,
Mallarme comes close with his idea of a book that transcends the confines of being a book, something which is also musical, aesthetic and something like a complete sensory experience, a conjured hallucination if you will.

Spaniards be like
>dis fork has benis dis spoon has bagina :DD

>James Joyce thought Hamlet contained coded hints that Shakespeare was a crypto-Catholic too.
It's a joke

Reminds me of Bruno Schulz's idea of poetry as some kind of reawakening of one's sense of the mythical. I haven't yet read Jung but from what I know of him, this seems like it would mesh well with his ideas on archetypes. 1/2

Attached: bruno_schulz.jpg (1021x1920, 236K)

2/2

Attached: bruno.jpg (1021x1920, 288K)

>racists coopting yikes

o no u dont

He did. It's called Don Quixote Part II

Who are Langley and the Tavi?

In my native language the words for "letter" is feminine so it's spontaneous for me.
Apparently that's also the case in Hebrew so I was lucky here.

Basen Akhenaten. He was also a patron of a kind of revolution in Egyptian art. Before him Egyptian art had stayed almost unchanged for about a millenium (as far as we can tell anyway), but the art of his reign was something very different, more realistic and mindful of imperfections (trad Egyptian art is all about completeness and timelessness). The difference is striking even for an untrained eye.
Sadly this was also reversed when he died. Truly a fascinating era.

It's true that in the Middle Ages scholars would often attribute their own works to famous names in order to get more readers and commentaries. Aristotle was one of the great favorites. This sometimes makes it difficult for contemporary historians to assess actual authorship of texts.

Yeah there is an element of that. Though there is also symbolism behind each letter. Who knows, there might be a filiation beteen the kabbalah and just so stories?

Gendered nouns are a thing in most languages user, sorry English doesn't join in the fun.
>tfw English was a language made for 21st century post-gender ideology from the start

The Quran is a Christian Syriac lectionary arabized (not translated) to give political/religious legitimacy to a class of Arab warlords who were allied with a Persian emperor who converted to a Jewish-Christian sect that rejected the divinity of Christ, and who mounted a coup against the Persians after they defeated the Byzantines in the early 7th century (the Byzantines never won back their holdings in the middle east, they fabricated history and pretended that they did).

Attached: 11509870.jpg (298x400, 66K)

>the Byzantines never won back their holdings in the middle east, they fabricated history and pretended that they did
So what does this mean for the Byzantine flow of culture from the crumbling empire to Italy during the Renaissance?

The Fault in Our Stars contains several oblique references to Seige

You're mixing up history. That was the result of the ottoman conquest of Byzantine territories in the 15th century.

So the capture of the Eastern Empire holdings in the ME didn't include Byzantium itself? I always counted Turkey as part of the ME but my history for that period is spotty

I don't believe you.
This is... Confusing. The Arab warlords were allies with the Persians to fight the Byzantines, then used the Quran to justify turning against the Persians? What's the significance of this Persian emperor? Where did the lectionary come from and how was it arabized?
I've never read the Quran, but surely there would be evidence of this. Does that book present it solidly?

genuinely interested

Actually chuckled a little, user.

bump

Yes the Arabs first helped the Persians conquer the levant and Egypt. These lands were Christian by then, and Syriac was the language of literature and religion in Syria, the seat of Muslim power in the first few decades of Muslim rule. The significance of the Persian emperor's faith lies in the fact that it was a precursor to Islam. There's compelling evidence that the earliest Muslims did not practice Islam as we know it today, but were actually Christians who rejected Christ's divinity and called for a religion that was more in line with the Jewish tradition. The Arabs mounted a coup against their masters, and to give their rule a mantle of religious legitimacy, they twisted and reshaped that sort of Christianity i just mentioned. Muhammad, a name meaning "exalted," and which was a nickname of Jesus, became an Arabic prophet sent from god in in the sixth century. With time, a body of Hadiths was invented to flesh out that narrative, and gradually that Christian sect grew into a separate religion. The lectionary I mentioned was a collection of stories from the old and new testaments read in public in Syrian churches at the time.

Moses the Egyptian by Jan Assmann also elaborates on this idea

Someone please dig up the Bram Stoker - James Joyce connection that was mentioned in one of "the Pynchon threads".
I remember digging into it and finding mentions of it in several sources, but the most compact explanation was made in Yea Forums post.

Langley, VA is home to the CIA and several of its literary think tanks. Sorry to resort to linking a Vice article but:

vice.com/sv/article/pgp53z/how-the-cia-infiltrated-the-worlds-literature

The Tavi is the Tavistock Institute, demonized by /pol/ types just as they literalize Frankfurt School as the lair of cultural Marxism. There's a low quality conspiracy book by Estulin out there on Tavistock social engineering. It's really better to read original Tavistock Clinic theorists like Bion or Laing to learn how the research organization became the monopoly it is today. Tavistock is best known for psychoanalysis. They pioneered many of the therapy techniques now taken for granted and repurposed in advertising, just as certain intel agencies are notorious for doing.

How do I convince the CIA to prop me up and make me a literary star? Should I write them a letter and ask very nicely?

Attached: dr_johnson_im_cia.jpg (569x802, 67K)

I heard a wild theory that Mary Shelley murdered Percy Shelly. It's likely bullshit though.

I like the literary theory that Thomas Carlyle wrote Sartor Resartus as a spiritual remedy for his severe indigestion.

Hell dwells in the bowels, a forgotten but central literary theory.

John Updike manufactured the rumor that John Cheever was gay so he could have all that sweet New Yorker cash to himself.

I've heard a similar theory that Francis Bacon wrote the KJV and the complete works of Shakespeare and left clues in both works

I don't get these theories, do they seriously push that Bacon or Shakespeare singlehandedly translated the entire fucking KJV themselves? That would take a lifetime of incredibly focused work, and there would be no reason at all for everyone to pretend that it was done by 47 people instead without at least including their names on it

There is a theory that Shakespeare translated at least some of the psalms, seeing as how they're the most poetic portions of the bible. Psalm 46 for instance seems to have Shakespeare's name written into it using the number 46 as a code.

Attached: psalm46.jpg (1200x800, 405K)

And also the making of the kjv is pretty well documented, so it's an especially retarded theory. I think it's just rooted in mythologizing beloved figures

Wilde was a straight black man

Max stirner was a pen name of young engles and that the confusion of this only emerged through the misunderstanding of Stirners pedophilic biographer

>James Joyce thought Hamlet contained coded hints that Shakespeare was a crypto-Catholic too.
Isn't it a quite widely held viewpoint now, even without 'crypto' in front of it? It was quite controversial when being catholic was shunned in England but now nobody cares.