ITT

Post an anime and get a book recommendation

Attached: welcome-to-the-nhk-featured.jpg (672x372, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shinsekai.cadet-nine.org/tatami-galaxy-translation/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

High IQ posters on Yea Forums do not watch anime.

midwits do though

Melancholy of Haruhi no Suzumiya

Anohana

Serial Experiments Lain

Attached: 1d7ec064955c46911b0ee88f99c4d2a5.png (597x441, 168K)

The Bible

the fault in our stars

The Fortunate Fall by Raphael Carter
One, No One and One Hundred Thousand by Luigi Pirandello

Wow, looked them up on wikipedia and these look really good. I've added them to my list.
Didn't actually expect good recs.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Attached: 1bm9o.jpg (2250x1245, 596K)

Prometheus and Atlas by Jason Reza Jorjani literally has a chapter on this, so I recommend that

Attached: Your next line is %22the bible%22 (because you're a useless pleb).jpg (1200x800, 160K)

See

Attached: C23ECB43-3214-4202-8966-CD4E9483BC6E.jpg (927x1193, 546K)

pref. phil

Attached: A058CAD5-38DE-4C28-A2C4-5901DB40ED29.jpg (1000x1426, 718K)

Attached: 34BCA50E-625A-454B-98C0-003A09EC4175.jpg (974x1290, 559K)

Attached: B00F089E-F869-48D2-9638-4A92D973F206.jpg (970x970, 453K)

My favorite parts of Eva are the Illuminati conspiracy bits of them trying to control an otherworldly being to bring about a global change of humanity. Anyone had a book that centers around this concept?

No Longer Human
I have no mouth and I must scream
The Last Question

Attached: 1380d6989490b8cae9ac7b26f33a172ebd407403117204e8ee2308b7[1].jpg (850x1186, 230K)

Attached: hqdefault-1.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Yw, SEL is my favorite story of all time so I've spent a good long while finding books with similar themes. The first book isn't necessarily that similar but it's post-cyberpunk and criminally unknown, it could have been written this year and still feel like its too futuristic. The second one has so overlaps with Lain so much in it's ideas that I often wonder if it was an inspiration for it.

This, again
Literally what the book is about

>The Last Question
Wow, so I’m not the only one who thinks this afterall.

fpbp

you obviously didn't watch Haruhi

I see you Yea Forums NHK poster
it's a good series though, what are you trying to escape neetdom or something?

Attached: 1567826609227.jpg (806x720, 42K)

Welcome to the NHK

Reading this made me happy since the book ends on a somewhat positive and hopeful note. But then I read about the author's situation and got fucking depressed again. Dude stayed a NEET, lived off his book money and then joined a cult. Sad story and he never did escape.

I have no mouth and I must scream is excellent. I rarely felt this much hatred from a character to be honest.

It is my favorite story of all time too to be honest. In a sense some of the themes were kind of prophetic of what we are currently experiencing with technology, such as how or internal identity is increasingly tied to and influenced by our projected Wired/internet identity. Personally, I see Lain as a sort of Jesus-figure (being the Wired made flesh in a sense) and Eiri as a sort of Demiurge-figure, what are your thoughts on that?

If you know any more books let me know.

Kek
Not exactly neetdom, I'm more like Yamazaki. And yes, it's great anime and pretty good book.

Cowboy Bebop
Sailor Moon

Notes from Underground

Moby-Dick

Attached: db50e2f580805b3190eafcc8981aeea1.jpg (1600x1200, 293K)

I too share a taste for this series, the idea that the body is merely proof of our existence and the debate on who is real and why is quite around my alley, I would also enjoy some recommendations

Attached: Screenshot_2017-06-28-20-40-59.png (1280x720, 1.2M)

Attached: gg_trapeze_-_11_a52ec620-mkv_snapshot_22-20_2009-12-29_19-10-41[1].jpg (1280x720, 181K)

The Epic of Gilgamesh

Attached: alicia_1.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

This one's easy

Attached: Screenshot_2016-08-07-18-09-00~01.png (720x483, 345K)

Can someone explain to me the recurring iterations of NGE? It’s like a remake but they change it a tiny bit each time and update the animation? Why is that appealing?

>inb4 Faust / paradise lost / zarathustra

Attached: download (1).jpg (182x268, 16K)

There are so many valid interpretations of Lain to consider and the Christian/Abrahamic view is always tempting but I find it to be slightly reductive. I personally view Lain as an example of the next evolution of Spirituality/Religion. A continuation of what the Italian philosopher Vattimo coined "the secularization of belief", an unconscious process throughout human history of detracting more and more from what we attribute to unknown forces (deities). Overtime the course of society we shave off pieces of religion as science grows (weather, sickness, "magic" all eventually being thoroughly explained) until we are left with a small nugget of things that we still don't understand. SEL to me explains a future where we can use technology to subtract even more off our beliefs to the point where a being akin to a god can be, not just believed in, but proven to exist beyond the shadow of a doubt. Branching off that it makes me wonder about if such a god existed what sort of things they would spend their time worrying about. Evolution is about utility rising out of randomness but what if an all powerful being sort of nudged evolution when it looked like randomness would eliminate something great? Further reading

Belief by Gianni Vattimo
The Passion According to G.H. by Clarice Lispector
The Golem by Gustav Meyrink

Do you mean the Rebuilds?

Because if you are, you are in for a hell of a ride.

The Stars My Destination. Were you expecting that?

Anno is the George Lucas of Japan.

Or he just remakes the same thing over and over in order to make money. Maybe it's both.

See this
One more I forgot is "Conversations" by Cesar Aira. Aira has a lot of good books for people who enjoy Lain desu, "An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter" is also great.

Faust, Paradise Lost, Zarathustra

Koe no katachi (A Silent Voice)

No, the anime is an adaptation of Count of Monte Cristo

Attached: Screenshot_2016-12-04-23-43-24.png (1280x720, 1.08M)

Rebuilds are not remasters, they are more like remakes. They change a lot of the story and pacing. We won't quite understand the point of it all until the final movie is released, kind of like with the original NGE.

lmao. Gankutsuou was originally meant to adapt The Stars My Destination which was itself a sci adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo but due to licensing issues they couldn't do Stars my Destination and just went with Monte Cristo instead.

I don't care for anime but I do watch a few so here I go:

Texhnolyze
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and betrayal
Giant Robo
Gundam 0079/Zeta/00
VOTOMS

Evangelion would probably be just some Paradise Lost stuff.

Books I like are Heidegger and Kant, math stuff, John Milton, William Blake, and Yasunari Kawabata.

What do I get?

Attached: GiantRobo.jpg (500x500, 212K)

>What do I get?
a blowjob

Sayonara setsubou sensei and psycho-pass

Attached: Chiri.jpg (513x289, 26K)

No. Be serious about it. They got recs above me, but I ain't getting a fucking blowjob with all the stuff I posted.

Attached: Delet.jpg (561x561, 12K)

is Evangelion really that good? I've always assumed it was some mecha anime that everyone won't stop talking about. Is it a meme that it has substance or does it actually have substance?

sauce?

>is Evangelion really that good
It's a whole lot of fun

Revolutionary Girl Utena.

What does this man get for Gundam, Giant Robo, Texhnolyze, Votoms, and Trust and Betrayal, along with his favorite authors?

Attached: HeyIgotyou.png (960x738, 924K)

To me, Evangelion is like Moby-Dick because it feels like it is an almost endless conversation. People still find new things and theories to discuss and Death of the Author comes into play heavily. Also a fuckton of religious imagery. It's definitely nowhere near as good as MD though. As for substance: yes and no. It really feels like Evangelion started off as a fairly by-the-books mecha anime and then at around the halfway mark, the director thought "oh fuck, I could make something good here!", and then the series ramps up. There's some stuff in the early episodes that is clearly building to something, but a lot of the best stuff is the second half and finale film. It's definitely worth watching just to see what you'll think of it, it's a fucking Rorschach test of an anime.

That is very cool knowledge. Thanks.

alright I'll give it a watch. Is it one of those shows where you watch the movie halfway through the show or is it really the finale?

Ubik.

Nah just watch it at the end. The final episodes are a trippy look into a character's psyche while the movie shows the physical events happening while he's thinking about those things.

Attached: berserk1.jpg (1024x768, 95K)

A swift kick in the head, hopefully.

I recommend reading the book and watching the movie concurrently. I mean this one
I did that, and it really deepened my appreciation of the themes

Be nice.

>The final episodes are a trippy look into a character's psyche while the movie shows the physical events happening while he's thinking about those things.
As I understand this was never literally confirmed, just a commonly held theory. My personal take is that NGE continuity is far less literal than this. I hate when retards try to argue the Rebuilds are sequel post universe reset of NGE. Shit is annoying.

Attached: (125).jpg (1280x720, 26K)

I didn't realize that, my mistake. I still think it's best to watch the movie after. I've never seen the Rebuild movies though, didn't seem worth it.

Yes it really is that good. It's only a mecha show on the surface, it's really about developmental psychology and psychoanalysis

Yeah, stop being mean. I'll say it one more time:

Gundam
VOTOMS
Giant Robo
Trust and betrayal
Texhnolyze

Kawabata
Milton
Blake
Heidegger
Kant

Attached: Screenshot_2017-03-04-21-37-10~01.png (1280x720, 785K)

Blood Meridian

Childhoods End

Yes, regardless of the perspective, the preferred watch order is the entirety of NGE plus EoE afterwards. We don't know if the Rebuilds will be worth it until they finish, but regardless, they are a separate watch and don't belong with as the "NGE experience." They are their own entity.

Attached: gdHaJcx.jpg (1920x1080, 205K)

Attached: image-5.png (1334x750, 1.56M)

Original series, one hour recap episode, motion picture movie.
10 years later
4 movie reboot of the series, third movie coming out this year

There aren't exactly many books related to mecha, but if you want stuff for texhnolyze then anything recommend for Lain above will probably work.

Maybe zarathustra of paradise lost, oh and Faust is are good choices

no longer human is the favorite book of SSSensei author

i know texhnolyze is pretty based but stop spamming

/m/an here, read commentary on the gallic war

The Iliad and Moby-Dick simultaneously.

The book it's based on is really funny, there's a great english translation floating around on the web that I'll link if anyone's interested. Show is Tatami Galaxy, great show if you've somehow never seen it.

Attached: the-tatami-galaxy-with-a-chin-like-that-2.jpg (1920x1080, 796K)

I'm very interested my man

didn't you read the LN?

That 2nd one is Death Note.

shinsekai.cadet-nine.org/tatami-galaxy-translation/
there's a few minor typos (as in like 5 in the whole book), but its a really great translation. Its left me wanting translations of his other books, which I sadly cannot find anywhere online (or in bookstores aside from the two official translations).

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 198K)

Attached: Screenshot_2017-06-11-21-08-28.png (1280x720, 595K)

wow we've got some diverse tastes out here

Funny how you have better anime discussions here than on Yea Forums

>better movie discussions here than on Yea Forums
>better anime discussions here than on Yea Forums
>better /his/ discussions here than on /his/
is there a subject this board doesnt dominate

Roughly speaking, it's Sartre/Lacan, as well as how they relate to a couple human concepts like god and other ideals

perfect blue
the best anime
>watching anime tv shows and not just watching the great films because you appreciate cinema
wew, imagine literally watching tv shows past age 17

Seconding this rec. Though I don't think the director did as good a job with his devilman anime. He can meet edgieness with sincerity quite well, but actually being edgy just isn't his strong suit.

I would also recommend The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl. I've only seen the movie though, but it's the same director there and the same author bookwise.

Not even his best film.

Is it just me or there a correlation between those who watch anime and idealism, not in the philosophical sense but the literal? Has anyone else noticed this? Anime is often like a more perfect reality, even the bad things that happen, everything is just streamlined into tight 21 minute sections for 12-13 or 24 episodes or so, so much so that the limitations placed on the production of anime is almost like the Oulipo group in literature

Attached: 1503782471442.jpg (1509x1080, 402K)

I dunno, I think I'm pretty pessimistic.

Lain is garbage that squanders all of the concepts it "addresses."

I know you are just giving the guy his sauce, but for any Utena fans I would recommend pic related. I don't exactly know why, but something about the two work well.

Attached: JoyceUlysses2.jpg (444x562, 125K)

Bunny Girl Senpai

Attached: bunny girl senpai.jpg (400x600, 60K)

Full Metal Panic

Attached: full metal panic.jpg (511x533, 37K)

Familiar of Zero

Attached: familiar of zero 3x3.jpg (537x586, 50K)

Catcher in the Rye?

Yes, it is that fucking good.

you have no power here hunterchad

Yea

Attached: shigurui.jpg (380x500, 94K)

Fugg

Attached: 3.jpg (1456x1073, 238K)

I already read that it in highschool, actually thought it was better then its given credit for but I guess boomers gave it a bad rep.

I can see how you got Catcher in the Rye vibes from it though, especially with the last arc. Anything resembling the first arc though? The thing I liked the most about the show was the MC's attitude I guess. He's puts himself down and keeps a low profile but at the same time he's witty about it and seems like he really doesn't care in a stoic and cool and non cringe way. His outburst scene in the first arc must be one of my favorite scenes from anime period.

I guess I'm just asking if you know any books where the mc kind of resembles his personality?

Attached: haibanerenmei.png (668x354, 267K)

Saturnin by Zdenek Jirotka

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Demian

Princess Tutu
Pls no Borges or Kierkegaard
I agree, I was about to suggest finnegans wake for utena but ulysses fits too

Attached: bestutu.jpg (1600x1200, 270K)

I don't know how to put it into words exactly but I can definitely see what you're talking about. Its not even in just the colors and appearances and narratives, the characters seem to be idealized forms of their archetypes.

>moe genre is based on the idealization of the feminine
>shounen genre is based on the idealization of the hero
>sol is based on idealized visions of what specific jobs/school life should be like

I guess the biggest rebuttal would be that most if not all fiction presents visions of the world that are in some aspects more perfect or idealized then in reality. It seems that Japan for some reason does it en masse much more then we in the modern west do with our media though.

Compare the most popular western sol (sitcom) of the past few decades, The Office, to the average japanese sol. Although The Office seems to have grinded down the stereotypes of regular office life into a way that could be presented in a relatable, but more enjoyable reality then what an office is actually like, it still seems like its necessary to the production for it to be based in realism. Its about a paper company in a incredibly boring town like Scranton. Although wacky hijinks occur almost every episode, they seem based out of needing to create entertainment for themselves (as is the case with Jim and Pam playing pranks on Dwight) in this boring and gloomy office context, and although they would be highly unusual they rarely extend into superfluous area, and a bunch of the laughs are generated simply from uncomftorable awkwardness as well. With an average Japanese SOL though it seems like its necessary for everything to be based in the superfluous. The humor is based in the superfluous, half the shit done for laughs come from some half thought out perverted fever dream. The fucking hair colors of the characters would be something never seen in reality. There are of course some realistic SOL animes, but the majority of the ones I've seen have overall plots that seem like they couldn't possibly ever happen in reality. As well whenever there is awkward energy they seem to transfer it into some kind of idealized teenage romance thing, where the girl secretly likes the guy that accidentally saw her panties.

Idk I've probably talked out my ass long enough on this matter. Tell me if you think what I'm saying seems true or seems like bullshit.

>Princess Tutu
I love you.

Never Let me Go?
Grimms Brothers fairytales? I'm worried that nothing can compare with Princess Tutu.

Attached: Princess.Tutu.(Character).full.544953 (1).jpg (600x600, 145K)

Can Texhnolyze be somewhat related to Spengler?
Can Lain be somewhat related to Debord/Baudrillard?

Monogatari and Mushishi
Damn, I need to watch Utena then

Darling in the Franxx

Attached: 002.jpg (1920x1040, 209K)

why has evangelion gotten popular all of a sudden these past few years?

EVA has always been insanely popular.

>he thought evangelion used religious symbolism to "look cool"
>she didn't realize anno, the master, planned it all
>xhe doesn't realize this is modelled on the way christianity took over the pagans
Enjoy your "Gospel of a New Century" friends

Slice of life animes produce me an intense feeling of nostalgy, not for my high school memories but for another plane of existance imposible to achieve where the ugliness and imperfection of mundane life have been purified and the characters ans his ideals have attained their absolute and sincere form. Yet this feels so fake and remote in contrast with the stark reality that I can't avoid melancholy. But for some reason I don't stop watching these shows, the sensation of "saudade" is addictive. Pessoa would be watching anime this days.

Attached: compatibilityerror.jpg (546x896, 55K)

Attached: 75919l.jpg (306x450, 27K)

Attached: 75274l.jpg (315x450, 32K)

Attached: 15010l.jpg (380x560, 51K)

The world god only knows

Since you posted the only girl that matters I feel obligated to respond.
What you describe is something that I believe applies to fiction in general, a playground for an artist's or regular person's ideas and perfectly constructed unrealities to prance about and carry out a scenario for whatever purpose. In anime this is arguably more pronounced than in any other medium. This is naturally due to the fact that anime consists of both audio and visual elements as well as motion, but unlike film or TV shows is completely unrestrained by reality in its portrayal of people and characters in general. I'd argue that this is the pivotal point, as characters in the same or similar art styles show up in mere still images and fan art, video games and visual novels, where they always have the same effect. As imagined and wholly unrealistic ideals that lack the 'depth' and trifles of what we are used to, it is no wonder they are so popular. On the other hand, this also works against them. The sheer impossibility of the ideal they attempt to invoke in some physical form effectively guarantees that they are not allowed to come true. Why should they be? Wouldn't they just ruin it by making it real? One can appreciate the passion of those who are waiting for anime sex bots or what have you, but why do they suppose they'll ever be satisfied with anything less than exactly what they're imagining? That is how it seems to me at least, though I am certainly not yet qualified to be making grand statements. Either way anime girls are not to be taken lightly, so watch your step.

Attached: 74276761_p0.jpg (777x1083, 815K)

How about this wallpaper catalogue

Attached: 351F9C3B-41A2-4244-A073-E0F543CF9CE8.jpg (1280x720, 199K)

The only anime I’ve ever watched all the way through

Attached: 615041E8-FFE0-4D4D-A1DD-3C3C7CE6E8FA.jpg (960x1440, 287K)

Tomorrow’s Joe

Attached: 4A014624-3472-4AE4-AADF-7B04D09BF700.jpg (1000x711, 96K)

thanks

>rakugo
can't give you any recs, but i loved that show

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

please dont say the art of war i read it like 3 times now

Attached: rein kir.jpg (500x375, 40K)

i love seinen, and that thing usually is pretty brutal, there is not much seinen anime though just a lot of manga

Obligatory meme

Attached: It's Escapism!.png (500x307, 68K)

the book of five rigns

is like the pocket version of Art of war, lol

It's been incredibly popular since before this site existed, the stupid Rei/ Asuka argument (meanwhile everyone ignores mommy Misato) is a huge part of the site culture

However, the reason it's been suddenly popular the last few MONTHS, is because it was recently released on normieflix

>the stupid Rei/ Asuka argument
Hey, I lost my friend in the Waifu War, show some respect.

Then you need to watch samurai champloo

and there is a lot of pseuds explaining the story on yewtube. But i think evangelion has a lot of appeal aside from the themes, characters and story. I mean Anno is as much an animator as a director.

but don't know if all that appeals normies, maybe eva fans are and have been just very loud for decades.

Thank you based Lain poster. Glad I decided to open this thread.

Hmm. This makes me do a big think

Attached: weebey.jpg (600x585, 37K)

Clannad

Attached: clannad-vn.jpg (220x376, 22K)

How about the reverse
anything akin to the bourne/camel club/clancy tom series?

Ok I will, now rec me a book for cowboy bebop nigga

Grisaia, but read the VN instead of watching the anime

or Space Dandy, pretty sure it's the same director no?

Can't really, I've spent a long time trying to find a book that's as episodic and poignant as Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo while still having actually great characters and I haven't really found anything. Maybe Cathedral by Raymond Carver but not really. Maybe some YA series

Gasaraki is basically Evangelion if it were written by Tom Clancy.

Attached: A264-2164557438.1487651358.jpg (720x1024, 113K)

in what world is that like a basic spy/politthriller

Attached: 1524241641_002.gif (342x239, 928K)

Maybe Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future

Darker Than Black is pretty sweet

Do you know what it's about? The protagonists is an elite government assassin. There's plenty of that kind of shit in it.

im from /cm/

Attached: ec36791e3e46b29ead37dccade0e1e3295a520ca_hq.jpg (1024x741, 114K)

Attached: homo lit v2.jpg (1644x3520, 949K)

'Carmilla' is about same-sex (lesbian) vampires.

watching high school anime while being miserable at high school was a surreal experience

yeah Watanabe is based

>a surreal experience
I thought that it was fairly comforting.

Attached: 1544854591039.jpg (563x423, 36K)

Watching things like cute girls in cute uniforms, after school clubs and manly delinquent fights just made me hyper aware of my own school’s drug problems, lack of social integration and culture. Even the delinquents were boring

Kara no kyoukai: Garden of Sinners
( first movie is my favourite one)

Attached: kara-no-kyoukai-fukan-fuukei-1965.jpg (350x525, 56K)

looks like chuunishit

It's a slice of life moege/nakige plus Tom Clancy shit. It's not really a chuuni game.

just read Lafcadio Hearn you fucking weeaboos. god knows he's the only writer you'd be able to identify with -- although unlike you, he successfully landed a japanese waifu

he gets to have sex with a lot of the cast. most of the show is arc type in that each girl gets 3 eps to have her issues solved. its about as much a spy/politthriller as mahouka koukou no rettousei
I recall it being boring and mecha not being a big part of the story.
anne rice vamp books

Anime is gay but.

Attached: Jin-Roh 2.jpg (425x600, 39K)

>I recall it being boring
It is, but it was MY kind of boring. I might be the world's single Gasaraki fan.

jin roh is fucking garbage

in what way? its a very basic story that works fine, with only mild hints at the extended universe
speed grapher was more my speed. you on the other hand might like Kaze No Yojimbo

Wish I was better read; Kaiji is at its core about the inability of the poor and desperate to rise above their weaknesses

Houseki no Kuni

Attached: innocent sparkling phos.jpg (1280x720, 380K)

>most of the show
I specifically said don't watch the show. Most adaptations of VNs are terrible and this isn't an exception.

I liked Speed Grapher, too. But I have not seen Yojimbo so I'll check that out, thank you user!

Based, though there's so much utter shiteness about and in Berserk it really does (And I must admit) peak from episode 19 to the last. Can't remember the manga chapters but the manga is garbage, the only thing it has over the 97 anime is more content in the Dark Swordsman arch and Golden arch. And maybe the occasional freeze image. Apart from that the anime 100% is superior. Not to mention how bad the manga gets post golden arch.

Japanese schools have plenty of social problems, you just don't see them in most otaku media since it idealizes everything.

That's a kids show.

Boring and slow with essentially no substance to make up for it. I cared nothing for the characters and was presented no reason to. The "very basic story" could have been told better in under a minute of telling it out loud. The only reason anyone watches it is because of the armour and weapon design of the wolf squad, and they barely got any screen time mowing people down

Attached: 19.jpg (300x100, 25K)

Anything like FSN?

I know, but even the subversive renditions of it confer some sincerity and coherency. There is some ideal given form. Life is incoherent, schizophrenic and cannot capture any ideal but brute nature

no one is going to read VN. movies focused on his backstory do a better job than the show (plus older lady moments) but imho Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is better

just read the VN

absolute kino

Attached: swordartonline.jpg (1600x1000, 331K)

the most Yea Forums VN

Attached: subarashiki hibi.jpg (1548x871, 251K)

Jin-Roh is great, compared to 99% of anime that is only fit for degenerates with the mind of a 7 year old girl. Jin-Roh though basic and often overly pretentious in its symbolism and themes (that is to say constantly throwing it in your face and rehashing the simple red riding hood story as if it's genius). One example is how he's standing in front of the Wolf enclosure. Still a masterpiece for an anime, never seen anything else like it.

Though of course given the basic deficiency's of anime as artistic expression every time you watch it it gets worse. Reason why I say "masterpiece *for an anime".

Attached: Jin-Roh.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

Try reading Subahibi then. Its depiction of bullying is brutal and genuinely upsetting.

kys and stop trying to relive childhood memory's.

that's not how you use an apostrophe you cunt

Attached: Kircheis and Reinhard.png (1017x669, 608K)

Yojimbo is a very slow anime that I did not like. its about a photocopier or something, going into a town uncovering its secrets while trying to find a train of missing gold.

>no one is going to read VN
It's not one of my favorite games by any means, but if you're going to view the story, you honestly do yourself a disservice by watching these adaptations. Almost every one I've seen has been half-assed garbage compared to the game they're based on. The difference in quality is unreal. I can count the exceptions on one hand.

>apostrophe
Yes it is you illiterate pufta.

Only use apostrophes in elisions or possessives. Not pluralities. Fuck you and never use apostrophes incorrectly again. We never should have done away with genitives

Sports

memory is a noun you retard. Give up on your pseudo grammar. I shall be infinitely more intelligent than you, and my name shall be remembered forever! DO YOU THINK MY STORY SHALL END BY SOME NO NAME FRESIAN RAIDER? I AM EDGSON! AND MY NAME SHALL BE REMEMBERED FOR EVER (Instead). SOMEONE GIVE HIM A SORT, OR I.. I - YOU'LL WHAT? KILL ME? KILL ME! KILL ME! KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Do you know why you cannot kill me my friend? Because I died many years ago, when I was young.

Give him a gold piece and send him home, he has a story to tell.

Attached: KILL ME!!! KILL ME!!! KILL ME!!! KILL ME!!! KILL ME!!!.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu

>sportsfan

Attached: tumblr_m4gpw85YVP1qdzvwe~01.jpg (500x375, 30K)

Do I need to even say it, the Tractatus. And yes, its my favorite VN as well

Video games?

Attached: 91jY1SQauvL._SY606_.jpg (429x606, 60K)

Vatican Kiseki Chousakan

Attached: 1242345342165476789o0p-0[88756543.jpg (504x500, 66K)

bungo stray dogs

read a book made by whichever boy you find the cutest

War and peace by Leo Tolstoy

kek can't read if I shinjū beforehand

Obluda.
I'd also like an actual recommendation based on this.

The VN

Attached: fec464366218935900a0c02bc3a0a32a1559098068_full.jpg (640x960, 162K)

American Psycho

Island was better

What do I have to do to get a Misaki in my life?

Also, Girls und Panzer.

Attached: nx14131-vw0RvpxofyBw.jpg (460x652, 101K)

Infinite Jest

infinite jizz

Attached: SDFSWEFGSSDAG.png (680x566, 272K)

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborne. His way of writing is very anime.

Anything for children lmao
Is The Hobbit too difficult for you to read? Maybe start with that

I recently read Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. If someone could recommend which book of his to read next that would be cool.

Also the taste in this thread is pretty kino. Pic related is tied with Ping Pong and Tatami Galaxy as my top anime.

Attached: shinsekai yori.jpg (1024x668, 66K)

seconding this
I really need something similiar or I'm gonna die

Attached: 4535923_orig (2019_06_24 16_41_56 UTC).jpg (1100x618, 131K)

I haven't seen his devilman, but I kinda got that vibe from the trailers. I liked Night is Short, but I think I preferred Tatami Galaxy. It was much funnier and I miss "watashi"'s hilarious narration. Still worth a watch. One thing worth noting to people who like the show though: the two main leads in Night is Short are NOT Akashi and Watashi from Tatami Galaxy, even though they look nearly identical. It does share some other characters however, I won't spoil who.

Naomi
V.
The Hunger Games

I think Gasaraki is great, there are two of us now.

Murakami's best works are his short stories. Read "The Second Bakery Attack" and "Barn Burning"

After Dark

Attached: gggggg.jpg (1280x720, 338K)

Hard mode: no Pascal, Bible, or alchemical texts
Try Cyrano de Bergerac, the Tractacus, Through the Looking Glass/Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and Night on the Galactic Railroad friend :^]

Attached: [BSS]_Genius_Party_-_Limit_Cycle_[79563821][13-12-22].jpg (720x480, 97K)

>try all the books that were explicitly mentioned in subahibi
hurr

I'll have you know I've read Ulysses in its entirety as well as Gravity's Rainbow. I'm am and intelligent and learned man.

Attached: 1567388776644.jpg (1102x781, 669K)

first of all, how dare

ddats de jokee fren
butt sersly u culd trry Kant, Black Swan, or Steppenwolf :DDD
desu thers alot of books, if u've not yet finished epistemology read humes problem solved, if u want lit like it well it'll really depend on WHAT u liked about it, the gender-switching identity maze, the mixture of obscene with sexual trauma-based mind control, or the epistemology discussions all can be found in different places but I don't know where to find them all together

Attached: hazu46.png (982x709, 1020K)

What I'd like most is for Sakura no Uta to be translated.

Has no one dropped Baccano?

There are no high IQ posters on Yea Forums.

The Summer Book

just read some reddit

it's 'memories' tho

except for me

Attached: 1567089962827.jpg (455x455, 27K)

Confessions of a Mask

never let me go

>I have no mouth and I must scream
I also recommend this.

Attached: Screenshot_2017-06-18-23-18-22.png (1280x720, 589K)

the straight man and fool (i think tsukkomi and boke routine) comic routine from japan seems pretty odd to me, but this show is pretty entretaining, sorry but i don't know anything Yea Forums like it since that shit is very japanese. Anyway you might like Joshiraku and Rakugo too.

Any novels about redhead tsundere STEM waifus?

Attached: bushiroad-rubber-mat-collection-vol-203-steinsgate-kurisu-makis-573501.1.jpg (498x498, 47K)

Unironically Monogatari Series

What's the Rozen Maiden of literature?

Attached: 1559391891518.png (400x400, 27K)

wew lad

You'll like Mitchico to Hatchin more tham the other recs this post got. IIRC they only have Watanabe on music, but I thought the show was outright better than bebop, or at least in terms of the grand narrative.

>Anohana
Still waiting on my recommendation.

Count of monte cristo? Is the anime any good?

Attached: MV5BYzkzYjI2YzMtZjllMS00MzRmLTk2MDMtZWY4Zjg4N2M2NmIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg (1000x1426, 1019K)

Attached: Ping-Pong-Smile-serves.jpg (580x326, 31K)

Yes.

Attached: original.gif (400x300, 1.44M)

Attached: 8289ae4952c8f40bf2549ac0a0e79121484164b0_hq.gif (500x368, 491K)

High IQ posters on Yea Forums watch anime instead of reading books (or mangas, as we call them)

You mean manga. There is no plural

Attached: 1450590504414.jpg (540x540, 38K)

Bernard-jou Iwaku.

Attached: 1513100274867.jpg (1600x900, 368K)

That show's 2nd half would've been so much better if he had actually planned on becoming the 2nd Hitler, and the author didn't just drop that whole part so he could make Johan look slightly colder and the neo-nazis look silly.

The show's whole 2nd half thematically fell flat for me as a result, because the stakes seemed to have lowered so much.

He always fuck the time skips on his manga, if you want to read his best work, read Pluto.

Attached: higurasgi.jpg (500x282, 46K)

This reminds me that the anime adaptation is coming soon

I don't think you understand the true meaning of the manga/anime. What Johan was truly trying to achieve. The fairy tale is important

As a fellow fan of the series I can say that it's difficult to find things similar to it.

In regard to the part one's narrative. Not baudelaire's poems

Attached: Nakamura.png (636x990, 770K)

Oniisama e...

Attached: 932AE409-8748-4654-9502-59C586CF7A62.jpg (604x456, 43K)

I haven't watched it in years so I do forget the whole moral of the monster story thing, though at the time I watched it I understood, and the fact I don't remember that and I remember the 2nd Hitler aspect of the story shows that one was more compelling for me then the other.

Part one was fantastic, I think the 2nd half should've been cut down to just the portion where they met again as a sort of epilogue.

The second half betrayed the themes of the first and was ironically anticlimactic in that regard.

The Child Manuela
The Chinese Garden

Attached: 1508524035029.jpg (720x544, 46K)

Wives and Concubines.
Kawabata's Snow Country and A Thousand Cranes are also good choices but its been some time since I read them so I can't be too sure.

Attached: tokyo.jpg (2480x3507, 2.84M)

A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis

Attached: DEATH_NOTE_anime.jpg (695x900, 137K)

I always found funny that the MC hocked his women just by showing his Baudelaire the author is a hack, inside Mary is also enjoyable but silly

I'd say /fa/ rivals us when it comes to movies

you might like under the volcano, it doesn't have the element of mystery about the world, but it's storytelling is still very atmospheric and it deals a lot with both morality and failure in life.

Infinite Jest, The Old Man and The Sea or Humboldt's Gift

I found The Good Soldier Švejk to be similar to Panzer but its still a risky recommendation.

Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose seem to be the obvious choices here but I find Gravity's Rainbow is also a worth considering just because of how batshit insane things get in the novel and the part about the kids reminds me of the friendship shared by our two main protags. I think this pick better represents the satirical but also kinda feelsy aspects the show has.

Still have to find a good literary substitute for pic related that isnt Against the Day

Attached: Rukus.jpg (401x764, 57K)

literature

Attached: Dokuro-Chan.jpg (500x366, 33K)

The Stranger

Not really.

Attached: 1512091237189.png (529x490, 382K)

I know someones already posted this but I'm really in need of a book that has a similar style to this one, ie, the loveable characters, campus novel type. Something light hearted, before someone recommends stoner

Attached: Screenshot (83).png (1920x1080, 1.94M)

Answer pls

The hit series "Harry Potter".

Speed grapher has a good beginning and ending, but the middle portion devolves into villain of the week filler trash. And Kagura getting captured, then freed, then captured, then freed, over and over again becomes comical after a while.

Isn't that the VN that has Taleb in it?

Yea Forums - Literature

>Psycho-Pass
Most Philip K. Dick. See: The Minority Report.

Childhood’s End has something very similar to Instrumentality.

Most Murakami.

Just play Minecraft.

It’s visual novel kino. Incorporates de Bergerac, Wittgenstein, Lovecraft, Lewis Carroll among others, too

Attached: 0muOSp8.png (1536x2048, 1.14M)

>tfw no qt boi to commit lover's suicide with

you just have to treat the comic relief bullshit that's thrown in as though it's shakespearean. because it is. (though i still do not like it desu)

the iliad

perhaps The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea

Don Quixote
Six Characters in Search of an Author
my novel desu

Hamlet
The Trial
Less Than Zero

Cyrano de Bergerac

Industrial Society and its Future

The New York Trilogy
The Man Who Was Thursday

War & Peace
Storm of Steel

Nine Stories
Franny & Zooey
Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour, an Introduction

The Secret History

The Maltese Falcon

The strong idealist streak present in most anime is briefly discussed in pic related. iirc Azuma's commentary doesn't extend much beyond; real life sucks so anime doesn't

Attached: 51komQkJh0L.jpg (322x500, 57K)

Thanks for the recs.

Attached: 1611547B-7CB3-4417-AE66-AAE33B90CFEF.gif (500x378, 996K)

The Confederacy of Dunces

Read Oyasumi Punpun. Don't ask, just read it.

retard
paprika has more cinematic conventions/references/etc but p blue is stylistically perfect and pure in its encapsulation of the aesthetic it successfully creates

punpun is only relatable to insufferable faggots

a very comfy and mature anime. I can think of Murakami, maybe Cukuru Tazaki would be ideal, since it also describes a journey, and I do find his books to be comfy

punpun is for insuferable teenage faggots that liken getting a bad grade and some romance drama to the heavy and extreme cases presented in the manga.

Attached: Trigun_cover.jpg (330x445, 42K)

Attached: 51Ef1f4UnqL._SX337_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (339x499, 35K)

Romance of theThree Kingdoms

Cowboy bebop

Try the novels it and the other movie were adapted from. Tomihiko Morimi has a lot of fun works too, like Penguin Highway.

Oreimo

Attached: image.jpg (960x960, 97K)

Meanies

Don't listen to them, they're not reboots or remakes, but sequels to the original series

Shut up moron

Very low IQ opinion.

Attached: 911kh03f6uL._SX425_.jpg (425x340, 41K)

a shadow over innsmouth

seconded

Don't listen to them. You give a good rec, aku no hana is for the same audience than pun pun (the latter is better though)

The 5th and 3rd movie are my favourites.

Rousseau's Discourse on the Arts and Sciences + Discourse on the Origins of Inequality.

Attached: Tsukasa_Shishio.png (359x487, 251K)

What show?

Monster

Any recs for Amagi Brilliant Park?

:3