Augustine's View of Hell

>Hell has no claim on me, not yet; and even there, you are present—so 'if I do go down to hell, there are you' [Psalm 139:8].
Isn't this a rather heretical view of Hell? It seems more akin to what I've read about Eastern Orthodox beliefs about Hell than the Catholic view of Hell, which is said to be eternal separation from God.

Attached: 9780143105701.jpg (284x435, 41K)

Christian theology still wasn't as firmly fixed in Augustine's time. Although still better than the first and second centuries where you had many "christianities" and I mean in a much wilder sense than modern mainstream denominations

East-west schism didn't happen until AD1054

Plus he's quoting the Bible

Attached: 15680763234452196899829100520310.jpg (2976x3968, 3.16M)

Yeah but Psalms is jew-tier so the word likely being translated here as Hell is Sheol which doesn't mean Hell it simply means the grave

Valid about east-west schism though

Were the Gnostics really a branch of Christianity, or were thy Pagans? What's the truth?

Depends what you count as Christian. They believed in a single God and believed Jesus is the saviour, but they rejected the Old Testament god as a deluded imposter.

I mean even mainstream christianity is filled with pagan influence. At least with the Gnostics you can find scriptural support for a lot of their ideas even if it involves some non Orthodox interpretation.

Gnostics where the equivalent of modern day protestants. Not one thing but can be summed up with one word.

Yes because the orthodox view was accepted before the schism. Afther that most chatolic doctrine is revisionism to be different.

Yes, until they were btfo. Marcion was important in forming the canon, but he was erased after. Augustine was a reformed Manichean, a brainlet who stole from Plotinus, and advocated the idea of just war in his City of God (completely contrary to the teachings of Jesus). Other user is right, the qualifier for Christian in the early days was pretty much just believing Jesus was God. The matter of his nature and relationship to the Father and Holy Spirit was not fully settled.

Pagans were philosophers like the Neoplatonists and pretty much anyone who wasn't Christian.

Actually in the very early days even the nature of his substance and whether he was God was still up for debate. I suppose by the era of Augustine though the matter was pretty well decided.

That's a simple reasoning, there can't be hell if you understand God is everywhere. Then you know Him everywhere and then you can't be damned.

This verse can be understood in this sense, or it's implications can be seen but that's indeed more orthodox, like saint Isaac of Syria said, God's punishment being only for the sinners good. In the orthodox theology you can indeed escape hell and you can indeed realize God's presence even in hell. In fact saint Augustine choosed the first option, his hell is eternal. And he even believed in predestination. That's for these reasons and others orthodoxs say the latins made a big mistake by almost exclusively relying on him as a church father and not on the easterns, more spiritual ones.
For thomas aquinas also God is really present in hell, I think it just means the fact that by necessity God is present everywhere, because for thomas aquinas also, hell is eternal.
It's one thing to say he is present, it's another to understand this presence means something for the sinner's salvation.

>Isn't this a rather heretical view of Hell?
Given that It was written by a Church father i dare propose that not That's not heretical, protty. Rather You are.

They were satanists, Obviously.
Their modern successors are leftists.

Oh, an heretic.
>brainlet who stole from Plotinus, and advocated the idea of just war in his City of God
Demostrable false. Now gtfo.

The Gnostics were in league with demons who sought to lead people astray from the true faith.

>Yeah but Psalms is jew-tier so the word likely being translated here as Hell is Sheol which doesn't mean Hell it simply means the grave
True, but what word did Augustine use? It wasn't hell either, but probably the latin translation of the Hebrew

All other anons know nothing of Gnosticism. It isn't a "branch" of Christianity. It's a word used to refer to early Christians who believed that a state of Gnosis could be achieved. Many of these groups disliked each other, considered each other heretical, etc. There aren't any central gnostic teachings or canons (aside from the Bible and related apocryphal texts of the time)

If you're interested in learning more read Elaine Pagels.

they were supported by jews so that should let you know if they believed gods word.

It's infernum in the vulgate, so literally the depths of the earth

I am 600 pages into City of God. Is it worth going through to the end, or no?

Demonstrate it, then.

According to Augustine, nothing you did mattered because everything was planned out anyway.

>It seems more akin to what I've read about Eastern Orthodox beliefs about Hell than the Catholic view of Hell
It's almost like Augustine was an Orthodox saint...