Took my first class today. Intro to American literature

Took my first class today. Intro to American literature

>professor discusses his political views
>no Hemingway Faulkner Firzgerald
>he puts on a music video that’s supposed to embody american literature
>it’s a lana del ray song about her wanting to fuck the black president and start family with him
>first book is one that will explore queer identity, a confused gay man in a black family

its mandatory class

Attached: 965ACD54-99A6-46D5-B49B-1B270C35B5AB.jpg (499x473, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

humanities.ucla.edu/diversity/diversity-courses/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jeez, go with the times.

Attached: 2boy7j.jpg (980x1024, 81K)

it's likely a gened so they have to keep everybody occupied somehow. they assume anybody studying literature will either be able to just breeze through it or if not, will at least stick with it because it's part of their major. that leaves the general population who would fall asleep if they had to read anything of substance.

>black woman
>teaching physics

Attached: what the fuck are you talking about.gif (290x194, 2.67M)

>wants to read dead white men when you could read dead gay, black men like James Baldwin
Fucking bigot

>*SMACKS LIPS* AYO HOLLOP, SO YOU BE SAYIN' WE WUZ QUARKS N' SHEIT?

This. You're in a class that isn't intended for readers.

>op pic
wish my algebra class would've been with that hot chick. think i would've passed the first time

also, yeah, too bad Yea Forums doesn't have a college for incels so you fags wouldn't feel so out of place on those mandatory classes. LMAO

I have never had this sort of experience. My English classes have always been interesting and my professors have been very based and nice people and I go to a public college.

Holy shit I would be furious user
Why can’t you just spend a semester reading moby dick in depth or something?

What uni?

they care about facile and relatively trite issues about J'accuse and justification rather than actual holistic understanding and nuance.

I'm taking an undergraduate seminar titled "tragedy and political theory". As I understand it the idea for the course is based on a book called "The burden of office" by Joseph Tussman, which looks at various classic tragedies and what they can tell us about the nature of leadership and governance. We'll be (re)reading a seminal work with political philosophy along with a corresponding classic. We're starting off with Plato's Republic and Apology along with Oedipus and Antigone. I'm not entirely sold on the premise but it sounds pretty fun and the professor has been at it for a while so I think it will be good fun.

Attached: Claudia_smile.jpg (1920x1080, 482K)

i knew it.

Seriously, what kind of schools do you fuckers go to? I've never seen nor heard of such a thing in real life.

Get the fuck out while u can (if you can). Freshman year of college I was subject to shit like this — mandatory decolonization literature courses, critical theory courses where we “deconstructed” dickens’ “antisemitism” from a feminist perspective. It was garbage. I transferred to a college that put way less focus on garbage and more on substance.
I’m about to start senior year and they’re letting me write my thesis on nationalism in romanticism.

Welcome to the humanities. It's all a joke, it's all virtue signaling and everyone is a feminist. Your teachers for some reason think it's fine to talk about their political views.
I realized too late in the game how bad it is. I'm gonna graduate with an English degree but I'll be doing a masters in something completely different

pretty much every american university has mandatory "diversity electives," regardless of major. e.g.,
humanities.ucla.edu/diversity/diversity-courses/

This isn't even a big deal, you only have to take one of these courses. Just take the philosophy course, 'Language and Identity'. Problem solved, no need to take any other of those other woke classes.

Am I supposed to know who any of these people are?

Tell me more

My english comp class was pretty based. Teacher basically opened up about being self aware about her opinions and realizing she had no control/free will about her biases. Talked about the local news stations being controlled by the same 4 company's. It was insane and kind of beautiful. Nobody in the class gave a shit tho.

So what's the rest of the reading list for this travesty?

>>it’s a lana del ray song about her wanting to fuck the black president and start family with him

this peak burger punk

Attached: ebony.gif (320x240, 2.65M)

>I AINT NO MOTHEFUCKA CRACKER

name of the VN?

>thesis on nationalism in romanticism.

nice, where can i read it when you finish?

Interview with Kaziklu Bey. It's a spin-off for a VN called Dies Irae. If you're interested, start with Dies Irae, because the spin-off doesn't make much sense without it. Read it if you like Chuuni but don't read it if you're scared of gays.

Try pleasuring your anus while reading the gay black book you might discover that you like it and become confused as well.

Well I looked all of them up, most of them are based on ethnic struggles and slavery (3 or 4). Angels is about a gay couple.

I am very interested in The Scarlet Letter
and the Bartleby short story seems like it’d be fun. The way the exams work you’ll only need to read 4 throughly so I’ll manage

Attached: C5C51012-4034-4429-B961-F65BA7C498EA.jpg (663x932, 87K)

Yep, that's a pretty PC lineup. Hopefully year 2 will give you some more classics.

Everytime I hear about burger universities it's like out of a nightmare

Attached: comment_hP9gvBU9e0FmKfDauVC53Fe5vwGDyZvM.jpg (2560x1600, 1.63M)

>black guy
>American history
Malcom X and MLK lectures on the way.

Kek.

that course is just as woke as the others.
>Language and Identity
>Course description: How do we use language to project our own identity? How do we use it to perceive or shape identity of others? Introduction to speech act theory and various claims that speech act theory can account for systematic subordination of women; maligning of racial minorities; and, in some cases, incitement to violence through hate speech. Provides foundation for students of linguistic theory, philosophy, sociology, anthropology, and communication studies.
but yeah, not a big deal. just take the easy A and get it over with.

> be stemfag
>take intro to creative writing to meet gen ed arts requirement
>mostly other stemfags taking it for the same reason
>like it
>decide to take a higher level writing course
>all liberal arts majors
>first day of workshops
>every single piece is about the author's relationship with anxiety
Do these people think about anything else? There wasn't a prompt, it just had to be nonfiction.

I'm taking a graduate seminar and there are like 3 undegrads there including myself. I feel like a dummy. Will the PhD students bite?

Attached: Umi_scared_fear.gif (329x359, 1.99M)

Ethnicity picks aren’t always bad. They made us read Things Fall Apart last year and it was very comfy, got through it in a day

Which book is it?

Funniest thing was when he was explaining how some of the stories might use the n word and the black girl gasped

You only hear the most extreme stories. An average day on campus is too boring to describe to strangers on a taiwanese stop-motion animation forum.

Sounds like you have a pretty smol-bean-culture class. My creative writing seminars average about 30% anxiety pieces, 30% men writing about their dicks, 30% genre fiction, and 10% legitimately good work.

Grad seminars are really chill. Seminars are chill in general. As long as you do the readings and don't waste a ton of time spewing stupid shit, you'll be fine.

We went through about 30% of the class that day so maybe the average will match with yours. Hopefully it will, I'm getting tired of reading about mental health or relationships. The general writing skill level in my last class was slightly lower, but there was a lot more variety in the subjects. At least the professor seems decent so far.