Is this book still a good resource despite the fact that the writer was slamming out prostitutes while claiming to be...

Is this book still a good resource despite the fact that the writer was slamming out prostitutes while claiming to be enlightened? Personally, I found it to be pretty useful, but now I am curious if I was just pranked by a guru.

Attached: tmi.jpg (1399x1735, 283K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=culadasa sexual misconduct
accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.019.than.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's a book about meditation, not about morality. It will surely lead you to jhanas and other great things. And imagine having sex after emerging from a powerful jhana: it must be quite incredible.

On the one hand, direct experience should be your ultimate guide. You are your own teacher.

On the other, why trust the word of a revealed charlatan?

True. Come to think of it, going far down the path of meditation may be pretty dangerous without a foundation or development of morality.

>despite the fact that the writer was slamming out prostitutes while claiming to be enlightened?

I don't want to minimize what he did but this isn't a new problem. Trungpa's shinanegans were worse than Culadasa's by orders of magnitude yet he WAS the real deal and his books are still worth reading.

There is no enlightenment. You can always know more.

I know of no other single book which will so closely detail meditation progress and technique. Most are general pointers and tips while this book constitutes an entire step by step path. Where that path ultimately leads has been called into question but technique is technique and Culadasa did not invent really any of it, just put it in order. So I would say yes it's still a good resource.

Trungpa probably realized his chances at making any further progress were none at a certain point and just decided to drink himself to death and get a few kick in on the way. He was the real deal, used to carry around a scrying glass that he could see the future with.

>he WAS the real deal
This is what is meant by the Latter Day of the Law

>He was the real deal, used to carry around a scrying glass that he could see the future with.
Whaaatttt?!! You have a source on this? I’m mildly interested in Chogyam Trungpa and even though it’d probably be a manifestation of what he’d call “spiritual materialism”, I’ve wondered what his views on the more outright magical and miraculous aspects of Tibetan Buddhism are. Siddhis and the like. He doesn’t so much get into that as he does into how to deal with your emotions, which is nice in its own way, but...

watch the movie"Crazy Wisdom: The Life & Times of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche" it's mentioned in that

One fundamental teaching and goal of Buddhism is to overcome craving. Another is right view, which leads to ethical conduct. Trungpa was an alcoholic know for abusive behavior. Please tell me, how was he the 'real deal'?

yes, but also no.

Attached: fuefuefue.jpg (1146x1280, 132K)

>what is WAS

this is what happens when you’re a secular Buddhist tbqh

Is there a source for this prostitute claim? I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's the first I've heard of it and I check meditation resources and news now and then.

this book has nothing do to with the buddha. it is jsut some mixture of tibetan mediation passed as insight mediation. And they are both awful.

Got a better recommendation?

lmgtfy.com/?q=culadasa sexual misconduct

:)

>Trungpa probably realized his chances at making any further progress were none at a certain point and just decided to drink himself to death and get a few kick in on the way.
and undo what he has achieved so far and take birth in hell? it's like westerners cannot even get over 'one life' mentality

Secular buddhism is based
Enlightenment conferring perfect moralty is a primitive fabrication to justify sitting all day meditating instead of working. Buddha was a self-help guru.. Meditation is best used as a form of introspection, insight, stress-relief, relaxation, psychological pleasure and increasing general executive functionality :^)

I know you're just trolling by imitating a Redditor, but let me respond with sincerity anyhow.

The entire point of Buddhism is to overcome craving, which leads to suffering, and to do this by growing wise and attain insight into your own phenomenological nature. Morality is a raft here that helps one realize this, so much is stated by the Buddha himself. However the behavior of an awakened person necessarily corresponds to that which we would call good, such as abstaining from partaking in unwholesome behavior. And why would an awakened person visit prostitutes? One who has given up craving, which by the way in aspects is not hard to do — I myself have never craved the touch of a prostitute after all —, not just partially but completely, has simply no reason to act in ways that offend.

That sounds lame. I'm with
Even if he's larping as a redditor, which I don't think he is. You don't get magic powers out of it, you are still human. There is a comment chain on John Yates over at Dharma overground, and they touched on it better than my impatient, retarded ass can.

>DUDES, IS AD HOMINEM VALID?
I seriously am at a loss when I see these threads. Think about what you're saying.

You clearly just don't know what you are talking about. The point is that he wrote a book on a method to become enlightened and claimed to follow this path. His misconduct clearly violates two parts of buddhism (the sexual misconduct and then lying about it to his wife). Both of these are explained in the book and his process is supposed to rid you of these things, but clearly they don't.

TLDR FUCK YOU RETARD

>why didn't the heretic gnosis make me a perfecti incapable of sin like it promised!
Start with Plato.

Attached: 1558480900800.jpg (889x1126, 285K)

As long as it is an effective guide to meditation, which it is, then whatever. The woo-woo parts can be skipped, or ignored.

>dismissing essential not easy to do parts as woo-woo
go read epicureus or something that's more to your level

What "essential not easy to do parts" are you referring to? I'm not a Buddhist, I'm simply learning meditation through this book. John Yates' scandal does nothing to invalidate this book; references to Buddhism are limited to pali words, and occasionally mentioning the hindrances. It is, only, a guide to the technique of meditation.

Mindfulness (sati) in the scriptures does not just mean something such as being present in the moment. It means to be aware of one's goals, one's intent and the Buddha's teachings and to be aware of how your present phenomenological consciousness aligns with all of that. It means to have proper conduct and follow the Noble Eightfold Path. Have you looked at that shit? That shit's complicated and not easy to do. You're bound to fuck up at some point or another.

You can't just remove this word from its cultural context, reduce it to some secularized version and expect everything to go over smoothly. Boy, these things have been developed for a reason. Our elders were not stupid and humanity has had a long time to figure this shit out. To create a homunculus of meditation practice out of different traditions helps nobody if it doesn't respect the reasoning for why meditation was practiced the way it was, and the context in which it takes place.

All you end up with is just another self-help book like any other. And we all know those don't do jack shit.

Do you have recommendations for getting into Buddhism? I'm still not sold on needing Buddhism to make sense of, or benefit from meditation; but, I am open to, and interested in, exploring it. I am hesitant to pick a side, with the different sects (lineages?) I definitely would be interested in developing the correct perspective, if I may.

Generally in the West there are several prominent traditions active today. You should pick something that is ideally near where you live, so you can go get involved in the community if you wish to do so at some point.

1) Variations of Chan Buddhism, mainly Japanese Zen, but the Vietnamese and Korean traditions exist too. In the US you need to be very careful with picking the right Zen tradition, as it has very much degenerated for some lineages. A lot of sexual abuse has happened with some teachers in the US too. For Europe I am not aware of any scandals and I practice Zen in Germany myself.

2) Tibetan Buddhist schools. Some are alright, others are not. Avoid Diamond Way and Shambala, both are very prominent. Dzogchen is authentic and alright.

3) Theravada traditions. The vipassana movement is rather popular in the West and personally, it's not my cup of tea because of the sort of people involved. They're just… very American, I'm not sure if you know what I mean to say by this. You will also find the greatest amount of secularized Buddhism emanate from here. The Thai Forest tradition also enjoys some prominence and is worth looking at. I'm not aware of any problems with it.

4) Others. There are many, many Buddhist schools. Some of them are dubious, such as Soka Gakkai and should be avoided, others may appear dubious, but are legit, such as various esoteric schools, i.e. Shingon. Too many to list and talk about here.

For some general introductions, there is "What The Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula from a Theravada POV, "In The Buddha's Words" by Bhikkhu Bhodi is an anthology of some of the most authentic Buddhist texts, for Zen there would be "The Three Pillars of Zen" by Philipp Kapleau. "The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings" by Thich Nhat Hahn is also very popular, but I have never read it.

Nobody said anything about magic powers. But you do change fundamentally, or rather come into tune with your natural body. UG Krishnamurti is memed a lot here, but he is a prominent example of the awakened state. He talked about what sex is for him too, and the desire simply evaporates. It's a non-concern, no longer present, because all the ideas that are necessary for arousal don't arise anymore. In classical Buddhist practice you aim to achieve the same thing by meditating on the human body.

Wow, that is a comprehensive response. Thank you a lot, I will start with the books, and then see what is in my area. I would be starting with confidence in the practice of meditation, at least... Wish me luck

>incels chemically castrating their mind
Boy am I laffing

UG had many children and could've had sex with dozens of young women.

>UG Krishnamurti
He was absolutely fake. Jiddu Krishnamurti is the real deal.

I've been meditating for 3 weeks now and I still cant focus for shit. I cant even read it's so bad. When do I gain the ability to think?

to get the citta in samadhi, you first have to clean your thoughts, ie remove bad thoughts and keep good thoughts. good and bad thoughts are explained here accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.019.than.html

You will have to meditate a lot, it is going to be very hard, and it will take a long time. I'm talking 4+ hours every day for a year and some intense retreats here and there. Building right concentration is perhaps the hardest part of meditation because our brain takes so long to adjust. If you want to see some immediate results in terms of well-being do some loving-kindness meditation.

>You don't get magic powers out of it
so not giant penis? wtf
so i've been investigating the impermanent nature of reality just for nothing?

Generally the way to go is start with Theravada, then afterwards if you’re so inclined, explore Mahayana and Chan, then only after a long time of mastering and gaining direct insights in Mahayana/Chan traditions, move to Vajrayana if you like.
Each sect in that sequences assumes in-depth knowledge of the one mentioned before it.

Has buddhism contracted the tourist curse? Is hinduism or taoism more free from this problem?

Therevada has everything you need to again liberation. No need to move onto anything else.

This is nonsense btw.

Theravada is the lesser. Mahayana = great vehicle

anyone have experience with Reggie Ray at Dharma Ocean? he's was taught by Trungpa apparently

this is true but the Theravada commentaries and Abhidhamma are pluralistic realist revisions that will mislead you.
If you take the Pali Canon on its own then it truly is all you need for freedom from suffering, but most Theravada teachers view it through the lens of the commentaries, so it loses the essential emphasis on emptiness and dependent arising.
The true message of the Pali Canon was (apart from itself and the Kathavatthu) best taught and understood by early Madhyamaka.