This is going to get me banned lol

What's Yea Forumss opinion on video games? Do you think it's the next step of entertainment and art or a regression?

Attached: 7ed.jpg (680x383, 47K)

They have their place.

video games aren't art, they are skinner boxes/operant conditioning tools.

Nice pepe you got there. Mind if I steal it?
>inb4 copying is not stealing
SHUT UP FOCKEN PIRATE CRIMINAL POOR ASS SCUMBAGS FUCK YOUUU INTELLECUTAL PROPERTY IS A REAL THING DUMBASSES

They are all low brow because dopamine loops and difficult material don't mix. So in theory there could be a great literary video game, but literally nobody will play it and it's not going to happen for a long time.

Meaningless entertainment meant to provide children with repetitive fixations. The only type of video game with the potential for artistic value is the interactive novel.

I like them.

Attached: Screenshot_20190909-230149_1.jpg (1080x187, 48K)

That's quite a stretch.

They're good for storytelling action and war I think.
Like if you were to describe a fight scene it'd be much more difficult in written form.

>What's Yea Forumss opinion on video games?
I've played video games for 25 years. At BEST there's a handful that put a lump in my throat. Compared to books they have 0 literary value. There's no game yet made with a story to rival any of the classics. And to be honest, games are games. They shouldn't try to be anything more than fun. Whenever a game tries to be artistic, it has to sacrifice gameplay which makes the game not fun.

Attached: Princess-Peach-2.jpg (1200x1600, 460K)

Video games are crap because they don’t provide sufficient novelty or new experience for the time required to consume them. If you compare a brilliant two-hour classic film to a video campaign of twelve, sixteen or even fifty hours, you’d get way more satisfaction and novelty per minute than if you were to repeat the same task for hours on end in video games. This is the primary reason why video games are dubbed as a waste of time.
Also these.

Attached: B0CCEBD3-DAB8-4C18-9ADA-63385FB5C3BC.png (1200x600, 289K)

If you're going to call them crap at least don't attach an ugly 2D chinese monkey to your comment.

I think they are juvenile and essentially schizoid

It had potential, but as always, money worshipers squander it.

I've played red alert 3 and even though it wasn't a serious game I liked the story and gameplay.
Call of duty also is superior than a tom clancy book in my opinion.

they have a lot of untap potential in exploring new forms of story-telling, sadly its business model and difficulty to make does not encourage it. Instead opting for strong dopamine loops

Anime is kino

Where do you think you are?

Yea Forums should play Nier Automata
The creator is known for being " the Shakespeare of video games "

I hope you are kidding.
Yea Forums, not Yea Forums.
Overrated as fuck and his weakest game. NieR, Drakengard and Drakengard 3 are better.

You mean the game that pulls philosophers out of its ass to look deep?

>Do you think it's the next step of entertainment and art or a regression?
It's been steadily becoming more and more of a regression

As others have said, there is much potential in video games, but most of it has gone untapped. Part of it is simply the youth of the medium and I think a good number of issues can be tackled simply by waiting and seeing it mature.

A major problem that I think won't be healed simply with time is that by default most people involved are engineer-minded who, I've found, tend to make poor masters however good they are as servants even when they are not being done in by Peter Principle. On the other hand, whereas the suits in film or music, or indeed, publishing industries usually come from some kind of background in the art and have consequently developed some sort of taste, most of the suits in video game industry have traditionally been toy shop executives and others uninterested in and incapable of appraising the quality of the product itself. Even when "gamers" have risen up the ladders they all too often seem to be either filthy casuals or the aforementioned engineers. However, as time goes on the suits are likely to be replaced with people who care for the art and are willing to take losses just to support it. However, the need for engineer-types and their prevalence is unlikely to go away, and there ought to be some conscious effort to change that if it is to be fixed.

Another issue that personally bugs the hell out of me is how commonly people seem to just accept gameplay and story segregation. This really hurts games and is a prime example of untapped potential. All too often it seems that the designers come up with a gameplay and then just slap on a theme or aesthetic that appeals to them without any consideration of whether they work together.

No.
Every time I get wrapped up in a great novel (reading Anna Karenina right now) and try to take a break from reading to play video games, I simply can’t bring myself to give a shit about video games. Literature is vastly superior in every way

Videogames are a lower form of art because solid gameplay and having a deep, challenging story can't go together. Either the player isn't gonna have any fun (the raison d'etre of any videogame, no matter what any "gamer" will try to tell you) or the story is gonna be cliche ridden shit that just exists to tie levels and set-pieces together. Telltale tried to do the "games as art" thing and failed miserably, because they had to make "games" that were hardly actually games at all, basically axing player agency for the sake of having realistic characters.

Play Resident Evil 4

Do you play cards, checkers, chess or whatever and wonder if those are art? Video games are games, even if there is a lot of work put into them concerning their visuals, sound and writing.

I think it can be seen as another art form. Let's say someone makes the most trustworthy video game adaptation of the Odyssey, then yes, one can say this is an interactive art form, sadly I guess this would be "fucking boring" and most people wouldn't even bother, same thing with the film industry, supply and demand. If this is the next step of entertainment it looks very far away, in regard to intellectual development I just don't see it.

Interactive novels are pathetically superficial, I do not understand anyone calling these things meaningful in any way, it's like watching a pathetic sort of movie, devoid of anything

I think the architecture and design of video game levels is the closest thing we have to a purely virtual artform. The way some level designers can use visual and spacial cues to manipulate the player's feelings and actions is a fascinating and underappreciated art.

Video games aren't literature, though. The industry doesn't have the talent, and the audience doesn't want art. There are a couple games that come close, but they're all fairly derivative.

Attached: DSU8R-zXkAEhlL7.jpg (1200x675, 128K)

itsa fword cope

you could argue the same thing for book content and pages
what do you think is happening when somebody is reading an RPG with dialogue

Games are games. I'm not that into them, in the past I've enjoyed strategy ones and open world ones like GTA, but they're very very very far from stuff like literature or cinema.
The worst part with video games is they can get pretty addictive and you end up losing hundreds of hours for bullshit.

Attached: anno 1404.jpg (1728x1080, 3.45M)