Do I REALLY have to start with the Greeks?

Do I REALLY have to start with the Greeks?

Attached: 9B8B951A-7304-438C-A77C-CFF86EEC46C1.jpg (747x731, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes, unless you want to read alot of secondary works to prop yourself up

No, not as big a deal as Yea Forums makes it out to be. It does help to be somewhat aware of the greeks though. Ultimately, if you're just starting out, just pick up any classic that piques your fancy and enjoy yourself.

Read Hegel's Lectures on the History of Philosophy and you're set.

Not op but when should one start with the Greeks and why? Is it something for anyone wanting to read literature or is it exclusively for people who want to read philosophy?

no
the greeks were gay
just skip them entirely

Nah, the Hindus/Buddhists got it right philosophically-wise before the Greeks.

If You hate reading so much that the thought of reading more books makes your kitten eyes cry, would you Please tell me wtf You're doing here?
We're trying to convey to You the most efficient way to understand the context of What is happening now so that when You're done you'll be able to comment on modern literature and philosophy (99% of which are absolute dhiarroeic shit, spoiler allert!) without looking like an ass. If You just want to follow the memes or follow some retarded ideology Please Feel free to just read Land, Whitehead, Marx, Guenon and other irrelevant brainlets that are constantly pushed on this board; just dont act surprised when You won't be respected.

The hindus/buddhists got litteraly everything wrong.

"Start with the Greeks" is the best response to the endless volley of retards who are always asking "where to begin???!??" ... not some kind of unquestionable absolute. The timid RPG-mind idiots who force themselves to read every text from antiquity in strict sequential order are completely missing the point and probably slow in the mind (unless of course you genuinely enjoy it).

No, not really.

From a n00bs perspective it seems like Hegel is the most useful for formulating political theories.
Both fascism and communism came from Hegel.

>We're trying to convey to capital Y You the most efficient way to understand the context of capital W What is happening now

Attached: 1494963927361.png (567x430, 393K)

>he still hasnt read the greeks
Catch up

Yes. I fucking hated that Mythology book. It's so so goddamn boring. But I had to go through all that shit to get into Plato. Philosophy is wonderful. It's worth it. Study the Greeks, but don't dawdle on it. Do it quickly so you can read Philosophy. Philosophy in wonderful.

I read that fucking mythology book too....

I thought I was gonna learn about cool Greek myths but the lady who wrote it was dumb and the myths are gay

Or you could start with the moderns and gradually backpropagate until you arrive at the Greeks. It might make you think differently

Attached: IMG_1594.jpg (735x541, 43K)

newfag

Absolutely Yes. They've been btfo by the greeks litteraly Since they've started.

I've been here Since 2008
You remember itty bitty baby itty bitty boat?

This is what I did

Except they started to get things right when Alexander and the Greeks had conquered them...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism

I've been here SINCE 1997 but I've got Alzheimer's

4channel didn't exist in 1997 or 2008, busted. I've been here since 4channel was created, so I'm a real oldfag.

It shows. You should get back in touch with your relatives, I dont think you have very much time left in this Earth. Put your affairs in order.
Yours in prayer.

Attached: IMG_8549.jpg (372x457, 44K)

>ahahaha! The ol'switcharoo! Marvel at my genius!
You remember bosnians?

>>ahahaha! The ol'switcharoo! Marvel at my genius!
brilliant Satire

Thank You.

>ahahah! The old switcharoo! Marvel at my genius!
Do you remember Bosnians?

Yes I do.

no but you're gonna keep overthinking about where to start and ultimately end up not reading anything. just read trial of socrates -> republic -> nicomachean ethics. just do it, they're still great and relevant.

greeks didn't even exist when they started

it's the other way around bitch
greeks erected buddhas statues and dieties and practice caves in that meeting spot
not indians erecting greek statues

Bullcrap. They're all around 500 BC too. They just love to inflaré their timelines just like the irish and other brainlets.

>i know better
k thnx

It's not /lit, wtf it's literally every single person worth their salt

Its terrible if you want to actually get into literature or whatever. Its pretty neccassary when you want to start getting serious though.

bro you're supposed to start with the proto indo europeans...

yeah, wtf

if you're very new to reading, check out the Yea Forums starterkit provided on the wiki (pic related) if you're already familiar with some basic highschool books and want to build up a rigorous foundation its worth your time to start with the greeks. even then id advice to switch between some greek works and some other books youre interested in. contrary to popular belief enjoying your time reading them is a bigger priority than knowing your shit so you can snark on others

Attached: 1365475090228.jpg (747x1417, 418K)

>not starting with the epic of gilgamesh or the book of enoch
shiggy

No, it's a complete fucking meme. Just read whatever interests you, you'll pick up any context you need along the way anyway.