Shakespeare is so boring

>Be in school
>Do Macbeth
>Everyone I asked says it's boring
>Can't get through a lesson without a snooze
>Don't get the hype behind shakespeare
>teacher says 'it's relatable'

Do you think someone as highly esteemed as shakespeare be taught to high school students?

Attached: 310px-Shakespeare_Droeshout_1623.jpg (310x310, 43K)

I enjoyed Macbeth in year 10. Was also reading Plato and swiving beautiful teens then as well. Still the real value of Shakespeare lay in his poetic form, and how that is coupled with the archetypal ideal story's. "A mans slow decline into madness through lust of power" etc. It's just bad education system and parents that causes children not to appreciate Shakespeare. If men were instead imbued with the ideal of the heroic as I was than perhaps they would better understand.

swive

Literal teens and philistines...

>could I be a fucking retard?
>no, it's the western canon that's wrong

>Do you think someone as highly esteemed as shakespeare be taught to high school students?

Well he hasn’t done much to improve your literacy sadly so maybe they should just pack it in and teach Harry Potter.

Esl

Why do you think so?

Shakespear is gay. David Lyndsay wrote better poetry in a better language.

I am usually extremely reluctant to imply that people are putting on airs, but in Shakespeare's case I really feel like there are a lot more people pretending to understand Early Modern English than they let on. It's not intuitive at all even to a native English speaker, but he's such a huge relevance on par with the Bible that you're an absolute rube if you say you don't understand Shakespeare.

You should at bare minimum watch actual performances before you try reading Shakespeare, and even then I still had a hard time telling what the fuck was going on t.b.h. and had to read secondary material to understand the plots. People will call me a dumbass for this but what can be done, maybe I am, maybe you're a pretentious fag, maybe both.

Attached: HG.jpg (600x600, 26K)

>It's not intuitive at all even to a native English speaker
Read more.
>You should at bare minimum watch actual performances before you try reading Shakespeare, and even then I still had a hard time telling what the fuck was going on t.b.h. and had to read secondary material to understand the plots
Nothing wrong with this. People can only learn one step at a time. Eventually you'll be able to just read it. Watching multiple stage and film versions of a given play (before and after reading it, and while rereading it) is always worthwhile if it is a significant play.

>feel like there are a lot more people pretending to understand Early Modern English than they let on. It's not intuitive at all even to a native English speaker
it's literally the same language and same grammar, it's not Middle English. It's harder for me to understand Limmy's Show clips on YouTube than it is to understand Shakespeare.

I don't think most people's problems stems primarily from the vocabulary but from poetic sentence structure.

People have a hard time reading difficult books from the 20th century too. It's not the language that's difficult but sentence structure (Multi-claused), metaphorical language and extended metaphors, old words and jargon. Like everything it takes a bit of practice. But after you've read 2 or 3 plays Shakespeare is quite easy to understand.

I read that Orwell's "Shooting an Elephant" essay in middle school, felt nothing, understood nothing, then read it again last week and I understood everything. I think it's a combination that my middle school mind is unable to comprehend the essay, and also that school sucks the life out of literature and it makes it unenjoyable.

I think the only two pieces of literature I enjoyed in school were The Lord of the Flies in middle school and a short story called "Greasy Lake" in High school. They were only interesting to me because of the violence, honestly.

I think you should read him first and then watch the plays so you understand the language.

There were 2 other short stories that I enjoyed from the same teacher that made me read "Greasy Lake." I wish I could remember them. He was honestly the best English teacher I've had considering he was the only one to give us something interesting to read.

>But after you've read 2 or 3 plays Shakespeare is quite easy to understand.
This pretty much.

This guy knows about the superior adaptation of Shakespeare's work.

Attached: William_shakespeares_romeo_and_juliet_movie_poster[1].jpg (220x324, 131K)

being forced to read things always makes them boring whatever the fuck it would be about

>Shakespeare is so boring
>Be in school

Attached: out.png (465x343, 199K)