>Kokoro by Soseki
>Naomi by Tanizaki
>Thousand Cranes by Kawabata

I liked them all, Naomi being my favorite

Attached: Dahyun3.jpg (1000x1500, 250K)

Golden Pavilion by Mishima

No Longer Human

Snow Country by Kawabata

Some Prefer Nettles, since you liked Naomi.

Where is that pic from.

I looked at the bio but it was based around a homosexual relationship which grossed me out a bit

This is on my list
this looked super self-loathing and angsty
Dahyun from twice

Attached: Dahyun4.jpg (1500x1200, 766K)

Something about those eyes is so unsettling... I can't put my finger to it. It's as if those eyes are hiding a deep pain behind it. I wouldn't fuck her.

>It's as if those eyes are hiding a deep pain behind it
Hope not, she seems like a nice girl

I wouldn't fuck her either hopefully she retires from music and gets married before 32

Attached: 155a88368340a5c6675894061338.jpg (788x1200, 124K)

Shes a qt

I think you're talking about the bisexuality in Quicksand. Some Prefer Nettles has prostitution in it but not homosexuality.

Oh nice I'll pick that up then

You really should read some Haruki Murakami, I suspect people might shit on him here as he’s popular (I don’t use Yea Forums much so I may be wrong!) but some of his novels are superb. Start with South of the Border, West of the Sun.

"Strange Weather in Tokyo" or "Manazuru" by Kawakami

Why are japanese so good at doing psychological expositions on their characters?

Only the Russian writers can compare

The Sound of The Mountain by Kawabata
Botchan by Soseki
Nip The Buds, Shoot The Kids by Oe

Read Edogawa Ranpo.

>asks for japanese book recommendations
>posts korean girl

what did the based dububro OP mean by this?

Attached: makes_dubu_think.jpg (595x639, 31K)

he is trying to tell us that hes gay, because korean stuff is only for fags, same goes for you I guess

ewww - a stinky weeb

Attached: WhatAmIReading.webm (500x478, 1.82M)

master of go is my absolute favorite
and everything by mishima

Attached: p08h4et06p031.jpg (1080x1080, 133K)

Here you go OP. Not sure if its your thing but these are almost all the English translated Japanese books I found and bought over time. Few that I am missing like Masks, Tale of Genji, House of the Sleeping Beauties, some by Haruki Murakami, Thousand Cranes,a nd maybe a couple others I cant recall.

Attached: 20190909_095807.jpg (2000x3353, 1.83M)

>korean stuff is only for fags

Attached: 1551487526189.gif (385x607, 2.47M)

you're supposed to grow out of playing with plastic dolls

>being mean on the internet

Attached: 1551488319851.webm (334x530, 292K)

>falling for commodified beauty

>The Hunting Gun by Yasushi Inoue
>The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa
Check these two, OP.

Tale of Genji I guess

Silence by Shusaku Endo
A True Story by Minae Mizumura

bump

Based
限りあれば薄墨衣浅けれど
涙ぞ袖を淵となしける

They were born in Japan

bump

I’m reading sanshiro rn, it’s pretty good

>READING GOOK SHIT

Too bad Silence has a bad translation.

hey mate whats the publisher for the books on the bottom shelf?

Ten nights of dreams - Natsume Soseki
Snakes and earrings - Kanehara Hitomi
A pale view of hills - Ishiguro Kazuo
The Sailor who fell from grace with the sea - Mishima Yukio
Woman in the dunes - Abe Kobo

Vintage International, cover art done by John Gall. Part of their special Japanese collection with matching patterns.

Attached: vi.jpg (1458x640, 389K)

Ihara Saikaku

Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami if you like short stories

Attached: 1552815563202.jpg (1500x1500, 147K)

What does Yea Forums think of Haruki Murakami? I'd recommend Kafka by the Shore but I've never read something of his I didn't like
Also read Sanshiro by Natsume Soseki. Coming of age novel for the Japs

>!
ew

>Berserk

I really don't know mate. Apparently Yea Forums kinda love him when it's quite a mainstream and dull to be Yea Forums. Maybe Hegel section in pinball 1973 helped?

Since you like Japanese literature so much, have you tried learning Japanese?

I just finished The Sailor who fell From Grace, my favourite part of the book was the characters. What Mishima should I read next?

THE WOMAN IN THE DUNES

Is this worth $10? It’s been on my list for a while

awful book, read it in both languages too.
decriptions are great but the characters are unlikable and autistic

Its only a short story but I really liked "Holy man of mt.koya"

All Asian literature is violent emotionally and indulgent. It's only further envinced by the shameless K-pop posting in this thread. Be gone immediately

Ryu Murakami

>violent emotionally
Explain

started this today

Attached: chinmokusmall.jpg (651x976, 51K)

Detective dramas are popular in Japan right? Any recs?

I'd recommend Akutagawa's short stories.
I'd also recommend not bothering with Kawabata's Palm-of-the-Hand Stories.

Sucks.

Anything by Kobo Abe

Definitely

But secret rendezvous and the ark Sakura are better

The ruined map

Bullshit. See the French and Italians for the definition of indulgence. Asian and specifically Japanese lit is often minimalist and comfy as fugg.

How is French and Italian lit indulgent?

And can you suggest any French/Italian lit?

Nice. Soseki is based. Botchan and I am a Cat are both good too user (I actually haven't read Kokoro yet, I'm ashamed to say). Snow Country by Kawabata, although you could have probably figured that out on your own. Akutagawa's short stories, as others have mentioned. Lots of other stuff I've read and enjoyed being mentioned in this thread. The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Basho is comfy travel literature with some poems as well. If poetry is your thing, Ryokan and Ikkyu are cool too. I really enjoyed A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto was an enjoyable and short read as well.

For Koreans are so peng

> indulgence
That would be the British and the German particularly in the late 18th-early 19th century. The most distinctive achievement of the French literary tradition is a high-quality but apparently effortless, plain-looking kind of prose, and Italian lit was minimalist in modern times and densely packed with structure and symbolism before that.

It's depressing how there hasn't been any interesting literature in the past 10~20 years.

A dazai copy book by a comedian recently won the Akutagawa award(most prestigious literary award) and a nomination to the said award now includes pop novels by tv celebrities.

Ask an "avid reader" what he reads, and 9 times out of ten it's keigo higashino- mass producer of detective novels with the same plot every single time.

The book industry has conspired with the soap opera industry to make the same mass produced novel as an opium for the people-slightly provacative but never challenging us fundamentally.

Read Morimi you pleb

This is in stark comparison with the literary scene in korea I think, where authors like han gan and Kim jyon are actively challenging society's preconception and introducing new ideas to explain the Korean situation through literature.

>Morimi toshihiko

His stuff was actually interesting to me because he writes about student Life in Kyoto, where I actually live in, and the relatable experiences therein, but I really don't see what people see in his work.

Take taiyou no tou. The protagonist literally spends the whole book reminiscing his lost love and the finale is him going to a park in Osaka. That's it. Light-novel tier prose, no introducing of new ideas, and no explaining of the situation surrounding the youth in Japan.

Cool, didn't know they synced like that.

>The protagonist literally spends the whole book reminiscing his lost love and the finale is him going to a park in Osaka.
Depending on details and execution that can actually make a god-tier psychological realism novel. Though from the rest of your post it doesn't seem that is the case.

I would actually correct myself in saying his prose is bad. His mix of old fashioned Japanese with an air of dazai with present day Kyoto is what makes his works appealing I think. But mostly everyone agrees that the book leaves nothing in the end despite being an enjoyable read, hence light-novel tier

The Temple of the Golden Pavilion
Snow Country
No Longer Human
The Setting Sun
Genji Monogatari
Tsurezuregusa
Ugetsu Monogatari
The Life of an Amorous Man
The Life of an Amorous Woman
Five Women Who Loved Love
Sarumino
Oku no Hosomichi

Any cosmic horror, lovecraftian type of stuff? Including scifi, fantasy, weird shit etc. As long as it has the vibe.

Saya no Uta.

shinichi hoshi

What don't you like about it? I'm only a couple chapters in and I like it so far; I have an interest in anything that deals with the silence of God.

How's Spiral? My gf has that on her shelf but I never knew anything about it

I'm more of a film guy than a reader, but have you seen Bergman's trilogy of Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and Silence? That's some top tier silence of God-core

The only one I've seen is Seventh Seal and I liked it a lot. His other films are definitely on my backlog.

Death in Midsummer and Other Stories by Mishima

I tried but could not get into it. Might try again one day.

Its what initially made me want to get them. Not that I would sync them up somewhere when its just in my shelf but the covers are nice, spine is neutral and still connected a bit and the texture of the book is good too. Weird stuff to be concerned with but I got them all used for cheap.

Spiral is the second book is the Ring trilogy. The Ring movie is based on the Ring book, and Spiral and Loop are the squeals with Birthday being the prequel to it all and needs to be read last to avoid big spoilers. The whole set covers so much more than the movie.

Does not seem like he has anything in english.

To me he seemed like a Japanese Ray Bradbury. I didn't like either, but if you've read Bradbury's short stories and enjoyed them, Hoshi seems like a good fit.
What was your experience with him?

This. Amazon sells a kindle version of a collection of his short-short stories but I don't know if its in English. There are English reviews on amazon and goodreads but I don't know.
I'm interested in Hoshi as well since I enjoyed The Illustrated Man. Digging around it seems like one of his stories about an automated house draws parallels to There Will Come Soft Rains

Attached: 1550701607015.jpg (640x481, 181K)

I know that Mishima generally wrote what could be considered philosophical fiction due to certain themes being examined in his works, predominantly aesthetics. For which other Japanese authors is this the case too?

>ctrl+f
>Kenji Miyazawa
>0 results
I never see him mentioned here. I know some of his prose is intended for children, but his poetry bretty gud. Currently reading through pic related. Maximum comfy.

Attached: 1566399255938.jpg (357x499, 28K)

Musashi by Yoshikawa

I saw The Makioka Sisters in one of Yea Forums's Top 100 Books list.

>trusting Yea Forums
heh

but yeah its a nice book

is it really? there are two i am pretty certain anyways

People always mention Silence when they are talking about Shusaku Endo, but some of his other works are also quite interesting. I have read Wonderful Fool and The Samurai, and liked them both a lot.

What are some of your favorite poets / poetry books, friendos?

Attached: 1565658330035.jpg (720x1280, 81K)

Yellow fever fags are the first to get the rope.

Is that Savannah Brown? I would throw myself under a bus for her.

>tattoos
user

Don't talk shit about my waifu you fucking homo

Is there anything translated that you’d recommend? I don’t think I’ve read anything from Korea before.

I recently read a Japanese translation of "Greek lessons" by Han Kang which was really good. The protagonist tackles with the loss of her speech by taking Greek language classes; the middle voice in Greek representing the Korean theme "passivity". Not sure whether the book is translated in other languages, but "vegetarian" takes on the same theme I've heard.

Lmao Momo is cuter.

Attached: dgwzf9f9pa021.jpg (1920x1280, 310K)

don't listen to other user, this is great. pair it with samurai champloo.

>A dazai copy book by a comedian recently won the Akutagawa award(most prestigious literary award) and a nomination to the said award now includes pop novels by tv celebrities.
what is this and is it good?
>tfw dazai got cucked out of the akutagawa prize repeatedly by kawabata being a fuckhead boomer
>dazai is now one of the most popular japanese authors

please keep kpop posting to your containment boards. theres no place for stuff like that here.

Is Kobo Abe any good?

Attached: 9a61fcc15e9a3d846a23b4f5abcdae62.jpg (1521x2048, 762K)