I'm an editor and proofreader with 5 years of experience

I'm an editor and proofreader with 5 years of experience.

Ask me anything: Pitching, success, working as a writer, the ins and outs of the publishing industry. Maybe I can help you.

Attached: 1410193498442.jpg (500x500, 285K)

What were some of your biggest contracts? Or what are some of the most popular and/or acclaimed books that you've worked on?

what is the most common method of getting published? do people just send emails to publishers and ask them to look at the first chapter of their novel or whatever and hope they take interest?

How stern is 'average word count' for publication? Would a novel that has dense diction be given more 'leeway' to reaching the threshold, or is the average an industry standard?
Not OP, but most publishers have open reading periods for you to submit manuscripts. A single chapter is almost never going to be enough, you need to finish your manuscript. Every college kid in this country has a first chapter. Finish your work.

I'm sorry. Can't answer that. I don't want to reveal my identity.

I am not going to lie to you. It's very hard to get an editor's attention if you're a nobody, unless the editor is just starting out their career and still think they will find the next Franz Kafka. Not when there are so many people on the internet who have charisma, talent, and very strong followings (read: money in the editor's bank)

If you want to go the traditional way, your safest bet is to pitch ideas for human-interest features to magazines and newspapers. If you're any good, you will eventually meet the right people.

>larping
should've known

I understand you don't want to dox yourself but if we don't even know the quality of the people you work with, how could we take your advice for true?

Some markets encourage longer works (biography comes to mind) but brevity is always preferred.

It sounds you're referring to a verbose style of writing. I don't want you to discourage from developing your own voice, but simplicity is always appreciated by the reader. So is substance over form.

I guess you couldn't, but if you can't tell a real professional from an impostor, no amount of advice, real or fake, will get you published

who said i want to get published? i just want to write good literature and shitpost on the side

Can people who self-publish get published in the mainstream industry?

What genres are hot in the industry right now? Detective fiction, epic fantasy, historical fiction, teen lit, etc? I know trends tend to spread through the industry - is there anything that editors will pay more attention to because it's a genre that's selling well at the moment? Conversely, is there anything that would cause an editor to go "well, no one is into that right now, so automatic pass"?

There is not point in you talking to an editor or taking my advice, then.

And there is no point in me talking to you, as you're displaying a childish, contrarian attitude.

don't get so serious man, it's the internet

Yes, and that's even true for "bad" writers (I'm thinking EL James). In our eyes, a blog or a website is a form of self-publishing. Never hire self-publishing agencies. Being commercially successful is the name of the game, so self promotion is just as important and a whole different ball game. There are small boutique companies that emphasize quality and localism. They usually organize events like poetry readings and parties in the city.

I can think of popular themes and trends within specific genres, but I don't think anyone would pass on a book just because of that, no! We tend to specialize in one or two genres and we have a great perception of the attitudes our target. I have seen a lot of greed but never dishonesty. Everyone is doing their best. The only advice I can give you is that if you ever follow a trend, you should come from an authentic place.

>the attitudes our target.
*target audience

I'll bite.

1. What are the top (say 3 or 5) mistakes that you see new writers make in their writing that hurts their chances of getting published?
2. If you were paid a 100 grand to coach an unpublished writer for a month to get him to publishable quality fiction, what would you focus on? What if you had six months?
3. Is self-publishing on amazon worth it?
4. Are there any books on writing craft that are actually worth reading? (please don't say King's book, it's a glorified memoir)
5. What's your process (in brief) of editing a manuscript?
6. Do you only edit accepted manuscripts or have you ever edited something into publication?

>They usually organize events like poetry readings and parties in the city.

Say that, hypothetically, I'm an autistic shut-in who strikes fear in the hearts of small children every time I go outside, which is thankfully rare. What would you recommend I do to get in tune with "the scene" in the area I live in? Assume that I live adjacent to a large city.

If you want to become involved with the local scene you'll have to get out of your house. The good news is that a lot of people in literary meetups are very shy and introverted. Don't be scared. They are just like you.

You could try using LinkedIn. But don't expect to get a lot of help from other writers.

Pick one question and I will answer it.

What percentage of the works that an editor selects for publication have actual literary quality vs. what percentage are chosen merely because the person is famous or the work's about some social/political virtue signalling?

How do I get my foot in the door for entry level editorial or writing work? Shit is getting so competitive

>don't be so serious bro just reveal your real identity lmao xDDD
fuck off

2. If you were paid a 100 grand to coach an unpublished writer for a month to get him to publishable quality fiction, what would you focus on? What if you had six months?

How can I get myself to slow down? When I write, it sounds like this: "The world was hot and then it was cold and then the dinosaurs came." I'm having a lot of trouble with getting myself to slow down and break things down.

You have to just think about it more. Go in already knowing what your characters are.
And also spend more time editing than writing.

So like figure out what the characters want and why? Could you explain a bit more on knowing what my characters are?

More time editing than writing means re-writing, right? I'm trying to do that. I force myself to write anything, even if it is crap, then I rewrite it ten times. This is a good way to start off?

That's the best question ITT and perhaps what reveals the ceiling to the "editor" or the role play itself.
In the constructive spirit of the thread I have no idea. The person may have a great emotional access but perhaps cannot move the story along. Or maybe they compose well but there's something dull or lifeless? What if its a subtle problem and not a glaring one, but off-putting to any audience nonetheless?

I've seen men devoted to the time
As it goes by, nothing's left behind
To them it's just a matter of when
The end shall come to put down their misery

Because a mystery looms on those hearts
Helpless hands ¡oh, God! they're so empty
So blind; there's no single grasp nor hope
To live by other's chores, and nothing of your own

The nights, those surfing tides
A good height between us and the shore
To swim is to drown far below, far away
From those distant strands of deeply unknown

I've seen the future, its sky barred of star
I'm seeing this last sun for the first time
And yesterday goes yonder brighter everytime
Today's nowhere to be found

Just as soon as i.

t. LARPing faggot

>I'm sorry. Can't answer that. I don't want to reveal my identity.

Ok fine - what sales volumes are the works you generally deal with?

How the fuck are you going to reveal your identity it's not like the proofreaders name is displayed on or in the book you dimwit greaseball. Also stop acting like an officious prig telling people they're "being childish" for calling you out for LARPing. You're either ashamed of your work and therefore not worth listening to or you're LARPing and also not worth listening to.

Why don't you have a cummy and sleep, user?